Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is giga-brain tier poo poo right here. :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this is brilliant

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Zarin posted:

Holy poo poo is this a real quote from someone?

Don't go down this rabbit hole man. It is very real. You don't want to know how real it gets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nobel Prize committee? I think I've got that new sound you've been looking for.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Butcher posted:

Don't go down this rabbit hole man. It is very real. You don't want to know how real it gets.

I hope everyone knows about that level of micromanagment agression in advance

I just started at a new company a month ago, but I'm not paranoid, nope, not me! *tugs collar*

Zarin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 10, 2021

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

magnificent

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Butcher posted:

"Hi, just noticed you've been on idle for 20 minutes."

'if you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean', translated to the digital

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If anyone said that to me about idle time my automatic response would be that i was taking a huge poo poo

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

The Butcher posted:

"Hi, just noticed you've been on idle for 20 minutes."

Yeah, because I fixed everything efficiently and have no current work to do.

Spin up the bullshit generator... "Sorry about that, bathroom break and my mom called me because she is worried about some health stuff."

googles "mouse jiggle program", installs, and goes to the park to go fix fences and read a book until something I'm being paid to do comes up instead of just sitting around wasting time.

Instead of installing a mouse jiggler, get a small desk fan and place your mouse on it

Edit: or do the watch thing. In my experience, my mouse isn't sensitive enough.

My buddy also taped a loose case fan to his mouse and turned it on so it shook around. I think he put a little tape on one of the blades so it'd be unbalanced and shake.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's a little program called caffeine which emulates mouse clicks to keep it active. If your job has a lax it privilege setting on your work pc you can also just install that

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Bear in mind that for remote desktop sessions, an software mouse jiggler tool may not be sufficient for keeping the session awake. I ended up buying someone a physical mouse jiggler that you could place your mouse onto and periodically rotated to perform movement.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You can also just put a video like this on your phone or iPad with it plugged in and then set the mouse on top of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHizSdXO7lQ

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OMG if I had a job and it did any of this poo poo I'd fuckin' riot.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I will die in a ditch before I submit to that poo poo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i would simply not work there

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Applewhite posted:

I will die in a ditch before I submit to that poo poo.

wow we are all very impressed with your fortitude and dignity, so inspiring

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

wow we are all very impressed with your fortitude and dignity, so inspiring

I’m not trying to impress anyone. Just saying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My boss basically said he'd be disappointed if I didn't take several afternoons off to go skiing before the hill closed. Never mind how over worked and stressed out I am. He knows how priorities work.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Inzombiac posted:

My boss on Monday: Hey, get this in by the end of Friday. I won't have time to review it until next week.

My boss on Wednesday: WHY HAVEN'T YOU ENTERED IN ANYTHING?!?!

I hate this stuff. Procedurally we have corrective action program due dates that differ depending on significance. But then we get hounded constantly to be completed on dates much earlier than what is in our procedures due to "metrics." Each group wants to look better than the others on the metrics charts during the management meetings. I have had the argument more than once that if they want those dates then put them in the procedure. It's the Office Space pieces of flare argument in real life.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My boss went to Hawaii for the next week and a half so that means the next two Monday morning conference calls are cancelled, which means I'm basically off work for the next two weeks because those are by far the most important thing we do and thing that I have to worry about every week

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AHH F/UGH posted:

My boss went to Hawaii for the next week and a half so that means the next two Monday morning conference calls are cancelled, which means I'm basically off work for the next two weeks because those are by far the most important thing we do and thing that I have to worry about every week

Still can't figure out if this is a perfect work scenario or a monkey paw perfect work scenario.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So I’m on a 2 PIPs. 1 for productivity, because I spend the time during my calls fixing everyone else’s mistakes.
I’m about to put together my HR manifesto in response to that one, because my complaints about the same things over and over again keep getting attributed to my direct sup. It is not his fault. The same poo poo has been going on since being here.

I am trying to figure out if using the words “medical negligence” is the correct phrase, since I am fixing issues with requests for authorization for medical procedures and all of these gently caress ups in multiple departments, mostly due to poor training, mean providers are unable to provide medically necessary services.

Is there a different legal sounding phrase I should use? Because this poo poo has got to be something we can and SHOULD be sued for and I have notified absolutely every superior that I can. It’s like freaking dear in headlights anytime I explain the logical outcome from all of this though, I swear.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bored posted:

Is there a different legal sounding phrase I should use? Because this poo poo has got to be something we can and SHOULD be sued for and I have notified absolutely every superior that I can. It’s like freaking dear in headlights anytime I explain the logical outcome from all of this though, I swear.

How confident are you on finding another job?

Not saying it'll work here and it could backfire spectacularly but somewhat relevant anecdote: Once upon a time we had two board members trying to pressure us into creative accounting things beyond what i felt was acceptable (coming from a consulting background I knew most of the tricks and where the line was, this was really, clearly not okay at all). We tried explaining this to them a few times and they just wouldn't let it go. Eventually I brought up the idea in a board meeting in front of everyone (without naming them) by saying something like 'One idea is to do X, Y and Z but from what I can tell it would be fraud and embezzlement and I'm not comfortable with that'. The guy who was pushing us hardest immediately went 'Woah no, we can't do that!' and nobody brought it up again. Nobody stood up and clapped like they should have either, the bastards.

My point is things aren't really obvious until you point out its happening and everyone knows everyone else can see it. The trick was saying 'fraud and embezzlement' out loud in front of everyone, it made it very real. If you are going to bring this up to someone important, make sure you CC a few people who aren't in the same hierarchy and if necessary include their bosses so noone can try and shut you up and everyone knows everyone knows what's happening.

On the flip side, you'll be known as the guy who said the quiet part out loud which could paint a target on your back. Or people might think you're a real straight shooter, depending on the work culture. Nark or hero or both or a chicken little, depends on the context.

I'm not a law, medical, corporate or smart person so please don't take this as your sole piece of advice. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinion.

Edit: Maybe also bcc the relevant watchdog/whistleblower/oversight organization and start updating your resume.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 12, 2021

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Do you have a compliance department? the only thing I can think of is letting them know, because when I was in the hospital environment they were scared shitless of being found noncompliant, because holy $$$ Batman

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What's the other PIP for though? Taking too long to poop in the office?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Posting Improvement Plan. We've all been there. Are.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Armitag3 posted:

Posting Improvement Plan. We've all been there. Are.

Jokes on you, my posting will never be improved

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bored posted:

So I’m on a 2 PIPs.

They're getting ready to fire you.

Please get a new job and forget your current poo poo one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does opening a word document and weighing down your spacebar key not keep you off "away"?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bored posted:

So I’m on a 2 PIPs. 1 for productivity, because I spend the time during my calls fixing everyone else’s mistakes.
I’m about to put together my HR manifesto in response to that one, because my complaints about the same things over and over again keep getting attributed to my direct sup. It is not his fault. The same poo poo has been going on since being here.

I am trying to figure out if using the words “medical negligence” is the correct phrase, since I am fixing issues with requests for authorization for medical procedures and all of these gently caress ups in multiple departments, mostly due to poor training, mean providers are unable to provide medically necessary services.

If you're on a PIP then you need to find another job. You'll be sacked shortly. You cannot improve the company in that time period and its not in your interests

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

If you're on a PIP then you need to find another job. You'll be sacked shortly. You cannot improve the company in that time period and its not in your interests

A PIP is basically their way of building enough documentation to safely shitcan you without you suing. (Right to work At will work states notwithstanding)

vyst fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 12, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vyst posted:

A PIP is basically their way of building enough documentation to safely shitcan you without you suing. (Right to work states not withstanding)

You’re thinking of At Will employment, not right to work. Those always get confused for some reason. Right to work is a different flavor of lovely aimed at union busting.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You’re thinking of At Will employment, not right to work. Those always get confused for some reason. Right to work is a different flavor of lovely aimed at union busting.

poo poo, yeah you're right. Whoops

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

vyst posted:

A PIP is basically their way of building enough documentation to safely shitcan you without you suing. (Right to work At will work states notwithstanding)

Every where I have ever worked, if you get a PIP, they will fire you as soon as it is done.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Yeah, I'm on a PIP:

Preparing
Ito get
Pfired

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah the second you get notified youve been put on PIP or that theyre thinking of putting you on one you may as well start looking for a new job then and there

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I worked for an international division of a big American company from 2016 until I was laid off last year. Its the kind of company that looks great on your CV but in reality it was a nightmare shitshow of almost unbelievable bureaucracy to get even the simplest things done. They had this "gated approval" system that was the same for little BI software system as it was for an aircraft, communication satellite, or laser-guided bomb.

This process involved getting 26 signatures from various people across the entire corporation. These are people who at best don't have any idea who you are and what your project is who give you a signature with a 5 minute phone call all the way to people who want you to perform a whole readiness project that takes a couple months all on it's own just to give you a signature. It usually took somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 months to get all the approvals and even then towards the end you always had something missing. There was never a scenario, no matter how early you started, that you were completely ready and in the clear when the deadline came. And then the deadlines, totally artificial. You would set an optimistic date and start groveling around for these signatures and if you got too close to the date without being ready you were allowed ONE reset. This was completely arbitrary as there was no reason why you couldn't just reset it indefinitely but you would get in all kinds of poo poo for pushing it back more than once.

Possibly the most horrific thing about the whole process is that it changed every time you had to go through it. I pushed a system through in mid-2018, then another through in early 2019 and another in 2020 and it was actually significantly different each time. It was so insane that I still have a hard time believing this is a company that actually works and makes money. There are people who work there who's only job is maintaining checklists for idiotic processes like this. Imagine that being your job, a corporate check-list checker.

No project that I worked on in my 4.5 years there ever went to market, no one ever used anything my dev teams built. I probably spent 2-3 million dollars developing two systems there and they were never used.

I was laid off in 2020 and it was terrifying to try to find a job during the pandemic but in the end I'm glad to be out from under that behemoth.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The youngest coworker in our office is on a PIP that says they are to check in twice daily with my annoying coworker and boss to inform them of the status of whatever they're working on. Ive overheard at a meeting that they've literally never done this, with my boss just sort of shrugging and saying "yeah if you don't watch them they do whatever they want". Currently training this person to replace me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

thathonkey posted:

yeah the second you get notified youve been put on PIP or that theyre thinking of putting you on one you may as well start looking for a new job then and there

lmao I had a boss once that offered to put me on a PIP because he thought it would help or something

He was so goddamn naive, I had to give him basic management coaching all the time