Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If you're still using Office 2010 like we do at work, I suggest going into the compatibility settings on the shortcut you use to start it, and setting the scaling to "managed by application" - that seems to both scale reasonably well and remain sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This might be getting into the weeds here, but I just noticed that with as little as 20 tabs, Firefox will happily use +200 threads.
Light-Weight Threads aren't exactly regular threads, since they share resident set size and virtual memory size and can't use more than one core, but I think the point stands.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess that if the threads are lightweight enough it's edges into just being an implementation detail, sort of like using hundreds and hundreds of cheap threads to sleep waiting for traffic on incoming sockets in a server. It's definitely going to stress test some parts of the OSes it runs on, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I guess that if the threads are lightweight enough it's edges into just being an implementation detail, sort of like using hundreds and hundreds of cheap threads to sleep waiting for traffic on incoming sockets in a server. It's definitely going to stress test some parts of the OSes it runs on, though.
Well, the primary stress is going to be the scheduler, and the swapping algorithm if the system is doing any of that.
I do wish KSE hadn't been unfinished when it landed in 5.0, true M:N scheduling would be awesome.
That said, 1:N scheduling (which is what LWPs basically amount to) isn't exactly unknown elsewhere; It's in NetBSD too, and DragonFlyBSD as well. I think Linux has it too?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sometimes tabs in firefox 87 decide that they aren't going to do poo poo for a while, no response to address + enter in the address bar, no keyboard shortcuts, nothing, just idle for a minute or so. Very irritating, I'm going to be a prick and say it's a UI decision instead of some new bug.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That is incredibly annoying, yeah. Restarting and restoring tabs usually fixes it, but shouldn't be needed. I do think it's a straight up bug, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The new UI really needs a blue line or something over the active tab. On my laptop's lovely screen it's impossible to tell what the active tab is when the screen is at a bad angle.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread, I have a weird pedantically annoying issue with Firefox on my work computer.

If I type in "gmail" into the address bar, it never autocompletes "gmail.com". When I type in gmail.com and go, I get redirected to https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/. Is there a way for me to fix this? At home I can just start typing gmail and it correctly fills in gmail.com so I can just hit enter more quickly.

I guess if I can just break the habit and simply type in "mail" it does prepopulate with mail.google.com but :shrug: after being used to typing gmail on my home PC for years and years I'm just wondering why it behaves differently here...

edit;

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The new UI really needs a blue line or something over the active tab. On my laptop's lovely screen it's impossible to tell what the active tab is when the screen is at a bad angle.

There is a blue bar for me :shrug:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sab669 posted:

There is a blue bar for me :shrug:

That's not the new tab bar UI I'm afraid but it needs something like that.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread, I have a weird pedantically annoying issue with Firefox on my work computer.

If I type in "gmail" into the address bar, it never autocompletes "gmail.com". When I type in gmail.com and go, I get redirected to https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/. Is there a way for me to fix this? At home I can just start typing gmail and it correctly fills in gmail.com so I can just hit enter more quickly.

I guess if I can just break the habit and simply type in "mail" it does prepopulate with mail.google.com but :shrug: after being used to typing gmail on my home PC for years and years I'm just wondering why it behaves differently here...

Bit of a hack but I bet you could make a bookmark that autocompletes the way you want, as long as you have bookmark completion enabled.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Weird, it says I'm on the latest version (87.0)

xtal posted:

Bit of a hack but I bet you could make a bookmark that autocompletes the way you want, as long as you have bookmark completion enabled.

I'll give this a shot...

e; :toot: I had to bookmark mail.google.com, edit it to manually change the URL to gmail.com and now I can just type in gmail in the address bar lol.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 7, 2021

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't follow. For me at least, a new tab has a blue bar as well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I just double checked my Addon / Theme manager, I don't seem to be using a custom theme:

I guess my setting just defaults to my Windows Color/Themes settings, which I've set to "Dark":

WattsvilleBlues are you sure you're on the latest version?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Maybe he's talking about the new "Proton" UI refresh which is supposed to be coming with version 89. It is a completely new tab bar UI, though it seems like you would really need a catastrophically bad screen to not be able to distinguish the active/inactive tabs there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like most Windows laptops have really lovely screens. Especially with darker themes where you're differentiating dark grays on over slightly darker grays.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they're letting us keep compact mode, they're just making it even more hidden
https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/07/mozilla-decides-to-hide-compact-mode-in-firefox-for-new-users-but-keep-it-for-existing-ones/

The fact that it's buried in about :config and is "unsupported" makes me think they'll get rid of it sooner or later though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

doctorfrog posted:

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/07/mozilla-decides-to-hide-compact-mode-in-firefox-for-new-users-but-keep-it-for-existing-ones/

The fact that it's buried in about :config and is "unsupported" makes me think they'll get rid of it sooner or later though.

This is a such a stupid change. If you are keeping it around, why make you manually opt into it? Why not just keep it as an option? Mozilla just makes some incredibly boneheaded decisions.

And yeah, this is absolutely the first step to getting rid of it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

Maybe he's talking about the new "Proton" UI refresh which is supposed to be coming with version 89. It is a completely new tab bar UI, though it seems like you would really need a catastrophically bad screen to not be able to distinguish the active/inactive tabs there.

Yes it's the new UI refresh I'm talking about. Our laptop is quite old and the screen isn't great at non-direct viewing angles.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Weird, it says I'm on the latest version (87.0)

I'll give this a shot...

e; :toot: I had to bookmark mail.google.com, edit it to manually change the URL to gmail.com and now I can just type in gmail in the address bar lol.

The real pro move is to setup a keyword for your frequent pages like that. Set it to 'g' for example and all you need to do is type 'g+<enter>' into your address bar and blammo you're at gmail.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

I feel like most Windows laptops have really lovely screens. Especially with darker themes where you're differentiating dark grays on over slightly darker grays.

Cheaper laptops tend to have bad TN screens, but these days, most above entry level come with IPS ones that are very much okay.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

doctorfrog posted:

Mozilla: Let's skew the data we gather in our favor by slowly reducing the amount of users of compact mode to justify removing it later.

Step 1: Take a feature with low usage and hide it behind config flag.
Step 2: Telemetry reports even lower usage.
Step 3: Remove the feature because only a few users are using it.
Step 4: Rinse and Repeat.

The rationale for doing away was that Compact Mode was it not being "discoverable". So they make it less discoverable.

That is some very galaxy brain work there from Mozilla, kudos to them for that.

---

Validation for X argument by omission of Y argument.

Let us hide the cheaper noodles so people pick the 20% more expensive noodles on front shelves with more margins, store can benefit more, and remove the cheaper option because less people took it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

In this case, though, they have no idea how many people use it. They have no telemetry for it and are effectively basing their justification solely on fantasy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't be surprised if only few people use it, it's really hard to discover. Should be moved to the main Settings screen if anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Mozilla: Let's skew the data we gather in our favor by slowly reducing the amount of users of compact mode to justify removing it later.

I feel this is what Mozilla has been doing with every single feature I like and has been for some time.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
It should be the default.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Not that it should distract from all of the above, but at least Mozilla are finally getting around to making better use of code sanitizers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I feel this is what Mozilla has been doing with every single feature I like and has been for some time.

Moving things into about :config has been their pattern for a loooong time, but how many of them have then been removed?

Like, I think this is a stupid change -- as long as they are keeping the option, keeping it in the customize UI where it was has zero downside.

I also think the Proton UI in general is stupid as heck and a great example of the pointless wheel-spinning they do. Mozilla is completely off the rails with what they think firefox is or could be, so the main direction comes from resume padding "revamps" that are done quickly and superficially. Lockwise / the password manager got announced as a major feature by Moz, and it turned out to be new lipstick on the same old pig.

But, all that said, "hide the option and then get rid of it quietly" isn't really their deal. That's way more a google thing. I think the guy doing the new UI just didn't feel like doing the work for a 2nd UI, so they're bumping it into a place where a half-assed job is acceptable.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What's really sad is that I think the compact mode of the current Photon UI has been the best UI that Firefox has had. I actually like the "Page Actions" section. I think it makes sense. I have the bookmark star always visible as well as the "Send to device" button. And addons like Camelizer and webpage translators put their icons in there. Now all that stuff is going to have to mix with my general addon icons and always be visible when it doesn't need to be.

But, in the end, these huge, chunky tabs might be what finally causes me to mod the Firefox UI after all these years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

What's really sad is that I think the compact mode of the current Photon UI has been the best UI that Firefox has had.

I totally agree!

Klyith posted:

:lol: Today I learned I'm the Firefox UI team lead!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

Moving things into about :config has been their pattern for a loooong time, but how many of them have then been removed?

Multirow tabs :sigh:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Are these UI changes going to do anything to themes?

While I'm still salty I can't use my theme on Firefox Android, I'd like to prepare if something changes for the desktop version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Are these UI changes going to do anything to themes?

While I'm still salty I can't use my theme on Firefox Android, I'd like to prepare if something changes for the desktop version.

Don't know the answer but why don't you try out the beta version and see what happens with your theme? Also can we have a screenshot?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't know the answer but why don't you try out the beta version and see what happens with your theme? Also can we have a screenshot?

I linked it before here: Space Fantasy Redux

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Aren't there an insane amount of ways to embed youtube on a webpage, though? Surely it'd have to catch those.
I mean, there's a userscript I use called SA Video Helper, which works on SA, but I wouldn't expect it to work everywhere else.

I know this is from months back but do you have a link for this please?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jippa posted:

I know this is from months back but do you have a link for this please?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               video resizing and sound
// @namespace          https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        loving giant vertical recording
// @include            https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; max-width: 800px;} ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);
Auto showing the controls seems to be a race condition with other stuff so doesn't work about half the time but it's still kind of nice. Obviously change sizing to what works for you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you. :)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

I linked it before here: Space Fantasy Redux

Nice. I'll install this on my profile and see how it translates.

Edit: Seems to work fine!

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 13, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inceltown posted:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @namespace          [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/[/url]
// @include            [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

}, false);
Auto showing the controls seems to be a race condition with other stuff so doesn't work about half the time but it's still kind of nice. Obviously change sizing to what works for you.

I made a userscript for using the browser native controls in imgur and I had the same problem. Just do what every good web-dev does and throw it all in a 500ms setTimeout.

code:
  setTimeout(function()
  {
  }, 500);
}

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

I made a userscript for using the browser native controls in imgur and I had the same problem. Just do what every good web-dev does and throw it all in a 500ms setTimeout.

code:
  setTimeout(function()
  {
  }, 500);
}
Mods? Mods! :jail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nalin posted:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @namespace          [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/[/url]
// @include            [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

setTimeout(function()
  {
  }, 500);
}

I ended up with this and it still doesn't autoshow the controls for me. Dunno what I'm loving up because I don't know jack poo poo about javascript.
Also, Tampermonkey seems unhappy about the single curly brace on the last line? Says eslint: null - Parsing error: Unexpected token if I hover over the little red X circle.