Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is the connection that the Parademon sketch looks like Batman in the Whedon cut?

I would say that Whedon cut is trying to look less like batman than Snyder cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gives credibility to my theory that the original one was a Snyder drawing as Whedon seemed to want to remove every bit of him from the movie.

The original one looks like Snyder's storyboard illustrations, so that checks out:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love thar face on Darkseid.

If Snyderverse has no choice vut to continue as a comic, I vote that Snyder draws it like his storyboards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roth posted:

: (

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

More like Darksad :saddowns:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

I mean, it still looks like a Batman-like figure in the Snyder Cut, but it is definitely more "BATMAN" in the whedon cut

Blood Boils posted:

I forget how it actually happens because it's honestly seemed to me like a bit od weird little beat that doesn't go anywhere, but I think that someone actually makes the connection in the Snydercut that it looks like Batman. I think that's also why they hang on the shot when it's pressed against the window?

I wasn't sure if the characters in the Whedon version make that connection.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Roth posted:

:I

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Away all Goats posted:

More like Darksad :saddowns:

:unsmigghh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rabelais D posted:

It‘s really interesting yeah. The sheer number of idiots who came out to categorically say that Snyder's cut didn't exist still amazes me. It's a pity that we were robbed of satisfying schadenfreude because most of these people still insist it didn't exist because they had to spend money on digital effects (and filming an extra scene), as if they don't understand what a "cut" is.

Release the true Snyder Cut

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Justice League: Snyderer Cut

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah it's very obviously Batman in the Synder cut, pointy ears and all.
In josstice it's a... parademon,

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Not going to lie, I have a morbid curiosity to see the Whedon cut without WB's interference, such as that Batman rooftop sequence that they made him cut jokes out of.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Surprised more people aren't talking about the revelation that Martian Manhunter is Superman's mom.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The important question is whether or not Pa knew

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They were in love.

e: When Jonathan held up his hand, he was telling both Clark AND J'onn not to reveal themselves.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 12, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

As Hundu pointed out above, Suicide Squad is very much the missing link there.

"I was studying your girlfriend. She takes an average person - a yoga mom, an elderly retiree and turns 'em into a soldier that can take a headshot and still fight? It's an instant army."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

roffels posted:

Not going to lie, I have a morbid curiosity to see the Whedon cut without WB's interference, such as that Batman rooftop sequence that they made him cut jokes out of.
Bats dangles a CRIMINAL off a ledge

"Wh-who ARE YOU?!"

Batman clocks his head.

"Not from around here, are you?"

... "I knew I should have stayed in COAST CITY"

:classiclol:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"I was studying your girlfriend. She takes an average person - a yoga mom, an elderly retiree and turns 'em into a soldier that can take a headshot and still fight? It's an instant army."

That line specifically makes me think of Online QAnon warriors, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

In part that's what makes the Fourth World stuff still resonant to me at least, Darkseid's soldiers are not quite slaves or janissaries or what have you, nor have they been injected with a magical solution to rob them of their free will. They're just humans that have been indoctrinated into an ideology that is perfectly, completely irrational.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So when the mumboxes clicked together, before flash rewound time, everyone got obliterated? Like steppenwolf too obviously.

Whatever he was expendable.

So... 5000 years ago or whatever when the mumboxes were just about to click together but zeus electrocuted them everyone was about to get obliterated as well? including darkseid? That... er doesn't seem like he planned it very well.

Also the mumboxes survived that time to be spread out and hidden... so they survived this time too no? I admit I missed that bit, what happened to them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think the implication is the motherboxes reconstitute you into an Apokolips,version of you afterwards--so for Steppenwolf he's not gonna care because he'll just be Steppenwolf again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The motherboxes are smart, they'd aim around Darkseid. They would not aim around Steppenwolf, he's just a minion. If the Justice League hadn't come along, he would have just teleported away when the time came

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Barry Allen: Wait. Your father saved your life with one of these things? A-Aren't they psycho murder machines?

Victor Stone: They're Change Machines. The Boxes don't think in terms of healing or killing, alive or dead. They rearrange matter at the will of their masters. Regenerate. Reinstate.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
We dont see Steppenwolf get obliterated or rebuilt do we?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

We dont see Steppenwolf get obliterated or rebuilt do we?
No, just Clark and Victor. We don’t see Bruce, Diana, or Arthur getting obliterated or rebuilt either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was so insane to see Superman getting blown into tiny fragments lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

porfiria posted:

Show some respect, they're called Digital Soldiers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

porfiria posted:

Surprised more people aren't talking about the revelation that Martian Manhunter is Superman's mom.
It's too uncontroversial, there's not that much to discuss about it. The biggest question has been whether his dad was in on it. Of course the answer there is that his dad was just a psychic projection, which was retired to maximum effect.

wyoming posted:

Barry Allen: Wait. Your father saved your life with one of these things? A-Aren't they psycho murder machines?

Victor Stone: They're Change Machines. The Boxes don't think in terms of healing or killing, alive or dead. They rearrange matter at the will of their masters. Regenerate. Reinstate.
Yeah, the basic idea as I understood it was that the "explosion" was just the front of a wave of change, with the boxes looking at every atom and deciding whether it needed to be rearranged. Thinking of it as an explosion is far too pedestrian.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Incidentally, Joss apparently hated the term "mother box", which is why the Change Machine lingo is so prevalent in the 2017 version. Too comic booky for the guy who directed Avengers, I guess.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Incidentally, Joss apparently hated the term "mother box", which is why the Change Machine lingo is so prevalent in the 2017 version. Too comic booky for the guy who directed Avengers, I guess.

Joss having mother issues is the least surprising tidbit in all this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm surprised Joss doesn't have a YouTube channel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm surprised Joss doesn't have a YouTube channel

Dude is much too thin-skinned, he would quit in a huff after reading five comments.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

It's almost like Joss, still angry that people didn't like Age of Ultron, reshot Justice League with the mantra: "Oh, I'll show them what a bad movie looks like!"

If only he and the WB exec shitheads could be reconstituted by mother boxes into something useful, like ditch diggers or bathroom attendants.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

roffels posted:

The funniest possible way this could have gone is if Whedon had actually shot his own 4 hour version (ala Avengers 2) via reshoots and then got mad at WB for making him cut it down to 2 hours.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 12, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the basic idea as I understood it was that the "explosion" was just the front of a wave of change, with the boxes looking at every atom and deciding whether it needed to be rearranged. Thinking of it as an explosion is far too pedestrian.

"A box has the power to reinstate anterior particle relationships."

The boxes are changing things, but their primary purpose is to restore. Recall the reactionary terrorists whose goal is to "turn back the clock in Europe a thousand years." In a certain sense, they're time machines. But the main point is that, instead of creating something new, they're just duplicating Darkside's schtick forever. (Whereas Victor's dad obviously tried doing something new and different.)

There are consequently a lot of interesting little quirks with the boxes - like that they can only restore something if they have enough knowledge of it. That's why bringing Superman back is risky, and probably why they need the "Superman Ship" as an interface.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Timeless Appeal posted:

EDIT: Not necessarily about the cops, but TDKR also has a pretty clear statement that true reform and change can only occur when people are willing to put privilege on the line. Bruce is only actually able to save Gotham when he is willing to die for Gotham.

Sorry for the late reply! And also sorry to everyone else for the non-Snyder Cut chat.

I disagree that TDKR makes clear that a key to real change is the concession of privilege. Between the second and third film, Bruce almost went broke funding his free energy project, and he has always been willing to die for Gotham even before he became Batman, as shown when he stood up to the mob boss face to face in the first film. A central narrative driver of the third film is that his rebirth and titular Rise can only occur when he relearns the fear of death. If anything, Batman’s symbolic "No auto-pilot" death at the end of the film is the ultimate culmination of his vigilante fantasy - it's that he pointedly chooses life after Batman that shows us that our boy is going to be okay.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree that it's open ended, but there are some themes of both voluntary servitude and rejection of deception. The implication that Robin is just going to use his first name has always seemed significant. It offers values without offering solutions.

What makes those themes not sufficiently critical is that they’re already ones of our actual police. Police departments do not utilize conscription, nor do they promote how deceptive they are. So the argument essentially boils down to ‘bad individuals’ and the solution doesn’t extend much farther than an abstract notion of police reformation, which is already consensual with mainstream thought (Polls show ~95% of U.S. citizens are for at least some police reform).

Retraining, diversity initiatives, community policing, body cameras – all failures, but as a society, we can’t do anything but repeatedly return to this well. When leftists advocate for ‘Defunding the police’, Obama immediately strolls out of his castle to lecture about how they’re hurting Progress, and that they should grow up and transcend ideology.

When Bane reveals Batman & Gordon’s conspiracy to illegally detain prisoners to the world, Robin rejects their tactics, and effectively promises to be a better Batman. But what does that mean in the context of our police state which has a monopoly on violence? And what privileges does the police state, or subjects of it, hold onto that is preventing real social change?

It's left unclear in a post-Batman Gotham what the state of class relations are presently or will be going forward. My estimation is that the underclass will be forced to swallow even more extreme austerity policies as retribution by the ruling class for siding with Bane's uprising against their betters.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

So wait, Superman is seduced by Darkside due to the death of his pregnant lover

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

2house2fly posted:

That's why I posted this pic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I remember hearing rumors that Hayden Christensen was in the running for Superman Returns, but the studio said no because "Darth Vader can't be Superman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Style posted:

I remember hearing rumors that Hayden Christensen was in the running for Superman Returns, but the studio said no because "Darth Vader can't be Superman".

To be fair, Brandon Routh was insanely correct casting for "Christopher Reeve Superman but in 2006."

Kulkasha posted:

No American likes being reminded that Afghanistan exists.

This is from pages back, but they really don't mind it if the reminder is that America is dope and awesome and doing objective good for the world. See: the Gulmira scene from Iron Man, a shockingly effective bit of propaganda, and the polar opposite of what BvS was trying to say.