Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Basically just go in chronological order, Vivid was the best and has Cult of Personality, Time's Up is good, and after that it's kind of meh with the next best being... the next album after that, Stain.

Seconding this. Vivid is an underrated classic. But it is very 80s at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks to both, I just ordered Vivid.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I like the first comeback album, Collideoscope. If you like them chronologically, there's no reason not to check that one out too. I have the next one after that in my queue.

Biscuits is a decent EP, they also have a live album at CBGBs that was okay, but it's only from the first album. And just to include my favorite non-album track :
https://youtu.be/3fgjO5OsaFY
(Pride is a greatest hits album, if you must.)

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
OK, I got one. Where do I start with Can?

Pretend that all I know of them is I am Damo Suzuki by The Fall.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Of the Damo Suzuki stuff, Future Days is the gentlest. Ege Bamyasi probably splits the difference between Future Days and Tago Mago. All three are excellent, but for most I’d recommend working backwards.

Monster Movie is also great.

There was a big post about all their albums in the vinyl thread that I’ll find and post in here when I am at a computer, unless someone else can!

e: spelling

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think Can is actually pretty accessible, and Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are the really essential records.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The first 5 Can records are all classics why not just start from the first one instead of making up a weird listening order for no particular reason

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teach posted:

OK, I got one. Where do I start with Can?

Pretend that all I know of them is I am Damo Suzuki by The Fall.

I literally started a play list with every album in chronological order and went through that way.

Extremely good poo poo and worth the experience. I agree that they aren't a band that requires cherry picking or context beyond "this poo poo rules".

Compare that say to, the Grateful Dead where a more curated approach would be better imo.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you for your replies - just what I needed to know!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I figure that when South Korea finally takes over the world and people have their backs to the wall at the mercy of the stans, I should at least have some basic knowledge of BTS so I can survive. I know the basics-I've listened to Fake Love, and Boy With Luv, and ON and Dynamite a few times of my own volition, and I'm perfectly capable of enjoying their music despite not understanding Korean, so where do I go for deeper discography dives?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
With the caveat that I'm aware Michael Gira is apparently a lovely person, where do I start with Swans?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

With the caveat that I'm aware Michael Gira is apparently a lovely person, where do I start with Swans?

This is a tricky one because they’ve gone through so many phases and sounds. You’ll probably get a bunch of different answers.

If you want their most straightforward, heavy and noisy stuff that got them a reputation as the most intense band in the world, you can’t go wrong with their debut Filth.

If you want a moodier, haunting, kinda goth version of the band I would recommend The Great Annihilator.

If you want the colossal, hypnotic and heavy sound of their post-reunion formation I think To Be Kind is a good place to look and their best album overall. But it is two hours long.

Many people seem to think the massive Soundtracks for the Blind is their best work but it’s never really clicked with me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is a tricky one because they’ve gone through so many phases and sounds. You’ll probably get a bunch of different answers.

If you want their most straightforward, heavy and noisy stuff that got them a reputation as the most intense band in the world, you can’t go wrong with their debut Filth.

If you want a moodier, haunting, kinda goth version of the band I would recommend The Great Annihilator.

If you want the colossal, hypnotic and heavy sound of their post-reunion formation I think To Be Kind is a good place to look and their best album overall. But it is two hours long.

Many people seem to think the massive Soundtracks for the Blind is their best work but it’s never really clicked with me.

I only know 2010 era swans and To Be Kind is a definite +1. The Seer from the same period is really good as well, and The Glowing Man (the last for that incarnation) is also meant to be good as well. My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky is by all accounts merely "good" and not as amazing as the other three.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I was going to basically echo what Henchman of Santa said so instead I'll recommend watching the documentary, Where Does A Body End. The archival footage from the 80s is completely loving bonkers even if you're not interested in the band's music. Pretty sure it's on prime video if you have that and if not it's on Vimeo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Honestly I listened to their discography chronologically and it was awesome hearing them progrees from the early no-wave industrial to the crazy 2 and a half hour atmospheric albums if you really wanna dive in i'd reccomend just going for it.

The documentary as others have mentioned is also wicked good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Hell yeah I'll probably start with the documentary and go from there. Thanks all!

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I've recently become obsessed with this song by Minyo Crusaders called Tanko Bushi (Boogaloo) that I heard a while ago on BBC radio 4. Does anyone know what genre of music this is or know of something similar? I love the variety of instruments used and the lively feel of the music. It gives me a warm feeling, like I'm walking through some lively summer festival.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Psyber Spine posted:

I've recently become obsessed with this song by Minyo Crusaders called Tanko Bushi (Boogaloo) that I heard a while ago on BBC radio 4. Does anyone know what genre of music this is or know of something similar? I love the variety of instruments used and the lively feel of the music. It gives me a warm feeling, like I'm walking through some lively summer festival.

I'll throw out a couple random things. These may or may not be good matches.

The first thing I thought of when I heard that track was Senor Coconut. He is an oddball who has produced, among other things, Latin covers of Kraftwerk songs.

Showroom Dummies (Kraftwerk cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buh8YnTwppM

The Robots (Kraftwerk cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr6KKMUxzF8

And just for one fun random track, that also happens to be Japanese. This track makes me smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxaJFCiqsc

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Psyber Spine posted:

There are lots of minyo crossover bands out there but not a lot that incorporate Cuban/Latin sounds in the same way. There are a ton of jazz funk crossovers where they do Japanese folk songs in a jazzier style. Try some of these

https://youtu.be/tvpsDwP4bj8

https://youtu.be/6E-v9K0zzVU

https://youtu.be/tQdwV2fZyvM

https://youtu.be/AZQ-6N1vk3Y

Eri Chiemi also did a series of folk song albums with the Tokyo Cuban boys too but I can't find samples on YouTube but they're available by...other means.

https://www.discogs.com/Chiemi-Eri-...elease/10151719

Oh and this isn't quite jazzy or funky but if you want Japanese folk festival sound you can't go past Shoukichi Kina

https://youtu.be/DiXBxqJUyfo

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Thanks guys. I guess I'm looking more for songs with a good variety of instruments being used and the same sort of happy, lively sort of vibe.

I like the way the song builds with the little solos going on every now and again, it's like walking through a street party and everyone's smiling and dancing and there's lots going on. I'm not attached to the Japanese theme particularly, it's just that I don't know much about music so I don't know what genre this particular song falls under.

Amazon recommendations haven't been particularly helpful, it's just like "Ah yes, foreign music!" and gives me completely unrelated Mongolian heavy metal songs or something.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Psyber Spine posted:

Thanks guys. I guess I'm looking more for songs with a good variety of instruments being used and the same sort of happy, lively sort of vibe.

I like the way the song builds with the little solos going on every now and again, it's like walking through a street party and everyone's smiling and dancing and there's lots going on. I'm not attached to the Japanese theme particularly, it's just that I don't know much about music so I don't know what genre this particular song falls under.

Amazon recommendations haven't been particularly helpful, it's just like "Ah yes, foreign music!" and gives me completely unrelated Mongolian heavy metal songs or something.

At my old workplace, my coworkers *loved* J-Rock, and, while it doesn't fully apply to your request, a certain band might, as long as your okay with a more 2010s, radio-friendly presentation. It's less big bandy, but I feel that it captures the lively feel of the song you linked, if not in an alt-rock format.

I was shown a band called [i]Gesu no Kiwami Otome[/i}, and while they have an alt-rock sense of progression, they clearly have a jazzy sense of instrumentation when it comes to things like rhythm guitar and piano. My hipster friend called them a "Japanese Phoenix". Here's a couple links, I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apr2JCdpTbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6gQmhaMn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJdNqxOykw8

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Psyber Spine posted:

You might like Afro-Cuban jazz. Maybe something like Tito Puente.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

BigFactory posted:

You might like Afro-Cuban jazz. Maybe something like Tito Puente.

Yes! So I guess it's the jazz structure of the songs that I like? I've not been exposed to a lot of jazz growing up so I'll have to explore the genre a bit more. What does "boogaloo" mean in this context? I've seen it on a few songs that don't seem to have anything in common.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Psyber Spine posted:

Yes! So I guess it's the jazz structure of the songs that I like? I've not been exposed to a lot of jazz growing up so I'll have to explore the genre a bit more. What does "boogaloo" mean in this context? I've seen it on a few songs that don't seem to have anything in common.

It’s a reference to ringo Starr’s Back Off Boogaloo, which was one of the most influential songs in the genre.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Psyber Spine posted:

Boogaloo was one of the Latin music crazes of the 60s, and kinda like mambo I think the word stopped having any definite meaning very quickly

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Boogaloo was one of the Latin music crazes of the 60s, and kinda like mambo I think the word stopped having any definite meaning very quickly

Considering that "How She Boogalooed It" appears on a 1967 Beach Boys album and has no relation whatsoever to the above, I'd imagine so.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
That "I Like It Like That" song that Cardi B sampled a few years back was a boogaloo song, if I'm not mistaken.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Psyber Spine posted:

Reminds me of Haruomi Hosono and The Yellow Magic Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvL8RA8-ks8

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with Boris?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

evilpicard posted:

Where do I start with Boris?

Amplifier Worship is the best place to start. Akuma no Uta I would try next, then Pink, then Flood (in that order). This'll give you a nice sampling of their different sounds. There's lots of guides online to Boris, each album is very unique so I'd start with those 4 and if you like them do the discography chronologically.

Those 4 all sound very different so if you don't like one, don't write off the others.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Dave Matthews Band?

I dove into the Wikipedia set of articles about DMB and their various albums, tours, performances, etc. and got a bit scrambled. It seems like one of their (many) live albums would be the place to start, given their reputation for jamming on stage and making every live performance unique. I usually try to avoid live albums if I'm not already very familiar with the artist, because at concerts many artists let the audience do a lot of the singing, making the lyrics completely unintelligible if you don't already know them. But maybe with DMB that kind of thing is part of the point? Or maybe it's better to stick to a studio album before exploring their various live styles?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

Dave Matthews Band?

I dove into the Wikipedia set of articles about DMB and their various albums, tours, performances, etc. and got a bit scrambled. It seems like one of their (many) live albums would be the place to start, given their reputation for jamming on stage and making every live performance unique. I usually try to avoid live albums if I'm not already very familiar with the artist, because at concerts many artists let the audience do a lot of the singing, making the lyrics completely unintelligible if you don't already know them. But maybe with DMB that kind of thing is part of the point? Or maybe it's better to stick to a studio album before exploring their various live styles?

They're not really a "jam" band in the sense of something like Phish or the Grateful Dead. I'm not familiar with them enough to reccomend their studio albums but if you're looking to explore jam music DMB is like "jam-ultra-lite" and a bad example of the genre.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, not that I know, but I understand, through a friend that...

Crash totally whips rear end, and if you like that Before These Crowded Streets which is a smidge darker. Under The Table and Dreaming has a few good ones also. Never got much into Stand Up. Busted Stuff is the equivalent of say, No Code, the slightly darker off beat album you say you like it you want to be hip.

For live I started with, I mean, I hear Live At Fenway Park is a good space to start - DMB Live Trax 6 - Fenway Park.

Edit: DMB are a band that jam but not a jam band. They do however get a big frat crowd and they mix up their shows each night like a jam band. Jam band lite is a great name.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

I listened to OK Computer by Radiohead, where do I go from there?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Junpei posted:

Hmm, their previous album The Bends is a fairly similar sound. Everything after got a bit electronic and wanky.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Junpei posted:

As mentioned above, The Bends is back towards Alt-Rock but still pretty good. Pablo Honey is pretty lightweight, only really sustained by Creep and a few other tracks that I like (You is a banger in my books)

Kid A is another "Masterpiece" that is paired with its sister album Amnesiac, as above they're getting into electronic music and dance music and stuff. I think Kid A is really good, but if you don't like Everything In It's Right Place from Kid A then you're probably not going to like middle period Radiohead.

Hail to the Thief has some great tracks (2+2=5, Go To Sleep and There There are in my all time favorites) but it's a slog, so I'd advise skipping to In Rainbows after that which is great all the way through.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think a lot of people consider In Rainbows as a kind of spiritual successor to OK Computer. But even if it isn’t it’s still a great album.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Junpei posted:

They have so many different sounds that it's tough to say which will click for you. The Bends is like Ok Computer with electronic stuff removed and is basically "the ideal mid 90s indie rock album" whereas OkC set the template for indie rock for the next decade. Their album following Ok Computer, Kid A, is considered a masterpiece but I bounced off of it for years and just stuck with The Bends and OkC until Amnesiac really resonated with me and got me into their electronic glitchy sound. Kid A is considered more ahead of its time than any other album in their discography.

A safe bet would be The Bends and In Rainbows next. After that, if you want pretty melodic stuff try A Moon Shaped Pool. If you want more experimental, Amnesiac and then Kid A.

E: also, it's worth listening to the Paranoid Android episode of the Strong Songs podcast to really appreciate how brilliant the song is.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 21, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

I don’t know how hard it is to find but you should try to listen to the Airbag/How Am I Driving? EP. it has a couple of my favorite songs from that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Amplifier Worship is the best place to start. Akuma no Uta I would try next, then Pink, then Flood (in that order). This'll give you a nice sampling of their different sounds. There's lots of guides online to Boris, each album is very unique so I'd start with those 4 and if you like them do the discography chronologically.

Those 4 all sound very different so if you don't like one, don't write off the others.

This is a good answer, although I don’t know about adhering to a specific order. It depends on what appeals most to you. Are you looking for drone? Stoner metal? Doom? Crust? Psychedelia? They’ve done all that and more.