Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

qirex posted:

Totems are highly regarded but they are pricey, there's a shitload of cheaper options. Also nobody will ever be able to convince me there's any actual difference between a Marantz and the equivalent Denon other than the design. What was the logic behind a $1600 receiver?

For well under $1000 apiece you're in the range of properly good stuff like LS50s, Wharfedale Evos, entry level Dynaudio, Ascend Sierra, etc.

As far as the receiver there's a big price jump between a 7 channel and 9 channel amp, were you planning to do surrounds or just use the ceiling speakers?

Going to do a 5.1.2, so I definitely don’t need a 9 channel. Using the 2 rear ceilings as surround and 2 front ceilings as atmos.
I’ll look into those brands, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Opioid posted:

Going to do a 5.1.2, so I definitely don’t need a 9 channel. Using the 2 rear ceilings as surround and 2 front ceilings as atmos.
I’ll look into those brands, thanks!
There's so many other speakers out there, those are just what I'd personally be looking at in that price range. Do you have a specific kind of sound you like?

As far as subwoofers SVS has the most convenience features like an app for EQ, Hsu and Rythmik give you a bit more range and output for your money but more knob fiddling on the back of the sub. I personally have a Rythmik L12.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I have to think that the 6105 rec was solely based on the idea of using all 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos. But since you don’t want to do that, the 5105 is more than enough.

I’d consider SVS for speakers as well. They have a very generous return policy, but the speakers are not attractive at all. The Dynaudios mentioned earlier have great wood options.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

qirex posted:

There's so many other speakers out there, those are just what I'd personally be looking at in that price range. Do you have a specific kind of sound you like?

As far as subwoofers SVS has the most convenience features like an app for EQ, Hsu and Rythmik give you a bit more range and output for your money but more knob fiddling on the back of the sub. I personally have a Rythmik L12.

I don’t think I have enough experience/taste to know any kind of specific sound I prefer at this point. I’ve been a Samsung soundbar + sub for quite a while and my only receiver (1970s hitachi)/turntable/speaker setup from my dad was a pair of infinity bookshelf speakers.
The setup is mainly to veg out on and watch sci fi TV/movies or stream stuff over nvidia shield. I’m guessing the pricier stuff may be lost on a pleb like me

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Update for the thread: the Klipsch RP500Ms arrived (love this tiny country) and they're so much better. A combo of preference and an extra €200 I guess, but everything just feels a bit cleaner, vocals sitting better. Still got a little bit of EQ in (tiny cut at 250, tiny boost at 2K), probably the room at this point, but much less than the DALIs, and it now sounds good, rather than "EQed away from bad".

Thanks for the advice all :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Glad to hear it, getting that balance of room, equipment and personal preference right is tricky and a lot of people don’t have the patience, even at the top end of the market. I remember on AVS there was this guy who had really expensive speakers [$8000 Focal Sopras iirc] complaining that he hated them and wanted alternative suggestions up to 10 grand until someone convinced him to try a $300 DBX EQ and put a rug down.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Idk my guy....if they’re still under replacement time and you want just *that much* more body and bass, you gotta try their bigger sibling the 600m.

6.5” is a much better, more versatile driver size than 5.25” without being dramatically larger, and you can take that to the bank

:agesilaus::mrgw::agesilaus::mrgw::agesilaus:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Opioid posted:

I don’t think I have enough experience/taste to know any kind of specific sound I prefer at this point. I’ve been a Samsung soundbar + sub for quite a while and my only receiver (1970s hitachi)/turntable/speaker setup from my dad was a pair of infinity bookshelf speakers.
The setup is mainly to veg out on and watch sci fi TV/movies or stream stuff over nvidia shield. I’m guessing the pricier stuff may be lost on a pleb like me

If that’s the case I’d suggest you spend way less than 3 grand on your first system. Until you know what your preferences are it’s not worth making a big investment IMO.

Take a look at stuff like the Q Acoustics 3000 series, Wharfedale Diamond 12, Ascend Acoustics CMT, Kef Q150 [get 3], SVS Prime, etc. Get a base model sub from SVS or RSL.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

If that’s the case I’d suggest you spend way less than 3 grand on your first system. Until you know what your preferences are it’s not worth making a big investment IMO.

Take a look at stuff like the Q Acoustics 3000 series, Wharfedale Diamond 12, Ascend Acoustics CMT, Kef Q150 [get 3], SVS Prime, etc. Get a base model sub from SVS or RSL.

Aren’t the Q Series center channels really big and good?

Also is the Q150 better than the 350, or is this just about saving money on a first system?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk my guy....if they’re still under replacement time and you want just *that much* more body and bass, you gotta try their bigger sibling the 600m.

6.5” is a much better, more versatile driver size than 5.25” without being dramatically larger, and you can take that to the bank

:agesilaus::mrgw::agesilaus::mrgw::agesilaus:

Noooo audio demon, you shall not tempt me!

You're probably right, but that's another another €200, which is too steep right now. Maybe next year...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Noooo audio demon, you shall not tempt me!

You're probably right, but that's another another €200, which is too steep right now. Maybe next year...

speakers last decades

I’m an “upgrade now and enjoy for 10 years” kind of guy, but I respect your thriftiness and your “big enough” speakers

all I’m saying is that the 600m is the one that gets on all the hotlists...but that might just be Klipsch Marketing’s fault

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Aren’t the Q Series center channels really big and good?

Also is the Q150 better than the 350, or is this just about saving money on a first system?

The 150 seems to be generally regarded as a better speaker if you don’t need the extra bass or output. The 650C is fuckoff huge but they later released the 250C which is a bit more reasonably sized and priced.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I definitely forgot to mention I’m in Canada, so the $3000 doesn’t go nearly as far. Looks like I can get an SVS prime setup for ~$2100 pre-tax (LCR + Sub) with the Marantz SR1505 going for $1650 pre tax everywhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You do not need that much receiver, get a cheaper Denon or Yamaha. Also if you’re in Canada check out Paradigm speakers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ok Comboomer posted:

speakers last decades

I’m an “upgrade now and enjoy for 10 years” kind of guy, but I respect your thriftiness and your “big enough” speakers

all I’m saying is that the 600m is the one that gets on all the hotlists...but that might just be Klipsch Marketing’s fault

Get floostanders for sweet sweet 8” woofers!

Naw if it sounds good now I wouldn’t worry about it. Resell the speakers, shift em to another setup, something when you’re ready to upgrade.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dogen posted:

Get floostanders for sweet sweet 8” woofers!

:yeah:

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

qirex posted:

You do not need that much receiver, get a cheaper Denon or Yamaha. Also if you’re in Canada check out Paradigm speakers.

Thanks, went with this combo on sale

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/denon-avr-x3700h%E2%80%8B-9-2ch-8k-av-receiver-paradigm-monitor-se-atom-se-2000c/

Combo was cheaper than buying individually with a 2700. Plus if I decide to get dedicated surrounds I still have room to use all 4 ceiling as Atmos.

Also got a SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer for $699 CAD.

Opioid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The SB-1000 pro is stupid good for the money. They knocked it out of the park with that update.

I’m also in “buy once cry once” crowd, and the “6.5” woofer is preferred” crowd, but if you’re happy, enjoy it! You can always upgrade later.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Came across an interesting thing, a program that lets you manually edit files made by Denon/Marantz's Audyssey, called Ratbuddyssey.

Basically, Use the Audyssey mobile app to setup Audyssey, uploading the file both to the AVR and Google Drive. Run REW note down how far away each point is from your target line.

Add all the filters! (bottom left)

Upload from PC to Google Drive, download from Google Drive to mobile, upload from mobile to AVR, rerun REW

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/page-17#post-425189

Looks like a better curve than what a MiniDSP can do which is handy because mine loving died on me today.

[edit] ratbuddyssey is surprisingly good. This would be impossible to plot out on the mobile app.

If I could get my MiniDSP working, or somehow bypass it and go straight AVR > Amps, I could test out that plot.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I can get SVS products for half off retail through a work benefit. Was thinking about a a new sub for movies, TV, games. I'd probably top out at the SB-3000 for $500 but wonder if anyone could compare that to either of the 2000 Pros for $450 or $400.

My wife already complains that things are too loud with my BIC H-100 VK12 from 13 years ago.

How are SVS speakers? There are usually other companies with discounts but COVID has reduced them and I probably won't be at this job much longer so maybe I should upgrade my Energy C series speakers.

Oh and do the most recent Denon's still have the VRR issue?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 7, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ak Gara posted:

Came across an interesting thing, a program that lets you manually edit files made by Denon/Marantz's Audyssey, called Ratbuddyssey.

Basically, Use the Audyssey mobile app to setup Audyssey, uploading the file both to the AVR and Google Drive. Run REW note down how far away each point is from your target line.

Add all the filters! (bottom left)

Upload from PC to Google Drive, download from Google Drive to mobile, upload from mobile to AVR, rerun REW

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/page-17#post-425189

Looks like a better curve than what a MiniDSP can do which is handy because mine loving died on me today.

[edit] ratbuddyssey is surprisingly good. This would be impossible to plot out on the mobile app.

If I could get my MiniDSP working, or somehow bypass it and go straight AVR > Amps, I could test out that plot.

yo this is pretty cool. dang.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

A while back I posted about housing a sound system in a writing desk. I ended up getting a NAD D 3045 and Sony PS-HX500 (both used but in great condition) and I couldn't be happier. Fitting everything inside the unit was a bit unrealistic so I got some Dali Spektor 2s to sit on top (one of my hand-me-down Tannoys didn't work because there was a mummified mouse fused to the circuit board :gonk:).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yo this is pretty cool. dang.

It's a little tricky, and requires repeated REW sweeps and filter adjustments, but is pretty good. This isn't with MiniDSP or anything, just pure Denon Audyssey + REW sweep.

Instead of drawing a flat line I'm going to try with a harman curve (+6db at 20hz, straight line slope to -6db at 20khz)

Or at least, try to replicate it as best I can because REW doesn't let you draw that kind of line.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I have, what I hope, is a fairly simple question. I have a little home theater and I usually watch with headphones. Problem is the volume that comes through incredibly low. I run an HDMI from the Blu Ray to the projector and the audio volume it terrible whether I plug in to the projector or directly to the player.

What is the best and cheapest way to get better audio. Do I need to buy a receiver? Or is there a smaller/cheaper alternative?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

UmOk posted:

I have, what I hope, is a fairly simple question. I have a little home theater and I usually watch with headphones. Problem is the volume that comes through incredibly low. I run an HDMI from the Blu Ray to the projector and the audio volume it terrible whether I plug in to the projector or directly to the player.

What is the best and cheapest way to get better audio. Do I need to buy a receiver? Or is there a smaller/cheaper alternative?
If your blu ray player has optical out a cheap dac/amp should do it. If not there's HDMI audio extractors you could try.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

UmOk posted:

Easy button answer:

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-A3-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00Z9BIODA

There are options with more features/functionality for not much more money, but this is definitely the simplest plug and play choice.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions! If I were to go the receiver route are there any suggestions for ones under $150?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

UmOk posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! If I were to go the receiver route are there any suggestions for ones under $150?

Not really. Good standalone HT receivers start at around $300 refurbished (if you can find one) and go from there.

Edit: And by "good" I mean something you'd actually want to buy, not "high end." There isn't really an "okay" below "good."

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I remember when I went from a 0.5v headphone out to a 2v headphone out. Really made a difference so whatever you get, try to get one that has enough output to drive even difficult headphones.
Even main speaker amps sometimes need a preamp if the signal you're sending them is too weak. I hear matching a Class D main amp with a tube preamp is a good combination as you get that Class A tube amp sound with the Class D levels of power.

But I feel like I must be missing something. If both amps give the same frequency response curve, wouldn't they sound the same? Or is the "tube amp sound" only when it's being driven to the point of distortion? That doesn't sound good for the equipment :ohdear:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a Yamaha receiver for my bedroom. Eventually I plan to get a center channel and maybe a subwoofer. Sorry for another beginner question - the receiver goes as low as -80 dB, but I can't hear anything until about -40 dB. Is this normal? At about -10 dB it's pretty much too loud for my bedroom.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah something like that. 0 is reference level, aka too drat loud.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

But I feel like I must be missing something. If both amps give the same frequency response curve, wouldn't they sound the same? Or is the "tube amp sound" only when it's being driven to the point of distortion? That doesn't sound good for the equipment :ohdear:

quoting myself after a little research. Apparently it's because tube amps have pleasant high levels of even order and low levels of odd order harmonics when they distort while solid state amps have unpleasant high levels of odd order and low levels of even order harmonics when they distort.

Still can't find a 8 channel tube preamp for less than 5 grand, though :shobon:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

quoting myself after a little research. Apparently it's because tube amps have pleasant high levels of even order and low levels of odd order harmonics when they distort while solid state amps have unpleasant high levels of odd order and low levels of even order harmonics when they distort.

Still can't find a 8 channel tube preamp for less than 5 grand, though :shobon:

Honestly, a well-designed preamp should have inaudible levels of distortion regardless of whether it uses tubes or solid state. The biggest sound difference from tubes comes from amps using output tubes. The distortion characteristic can be part of it, but with most tube amps the difference you're hearing comes from the high output impedance of most tube amps. While their frequency response may be linear into an 8 ohm load, they'll have wild swings when presented with an actual speaker load. I've seen well-reviewed amps with 6-10 decibel swings in their frequency response after a typical loudspeaker load is introduced.

That said, audio should be fun, and tubes are fun. So if having them makes you happy, run with it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are you trying to do tube surround? Because that would be wild.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a low-key dream where I have an audio enthusiast YouTube channel and I get to do weird art installation gimmick builds like an all-tube, all-separates, all-diy surround setup

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm thinking about it, but they aint making it easy. I refuse to spend money for money sake.
From what I've read, it seems while push-pull Class AB and Class B tube amps can put out more power, they lose the 2nd order harmonics, invalidating the reason for going for a tube amp.
Single Ended Triode however, still have that 2 order harmonic, but put out a lot less power which is why it would be better to use as a peramp for my main amps.

It would be interesting to try a little cheap 2 channel tube amp and see if I like it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a ~10 year old Samsung sound bar that I'm getting pretty tired of - the wireless subwoofer drops out, it turns itself back on after I turn it off, and other little annoyances. What should I look into for baby's first "real" audio system, ie receiver and speakers. It'll mostly be used for movies & videogames on my TV, some music off Bluetooth or my record player. I don't think I have the space/layout for a 5.1 setup (but maybe I do?)

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I'd rather get something decent that will last a bit than cheap junk.

I read the OP, but it looks like it was last updated 5 years ago and I'm sure some things have changed.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 12, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I'm thinking about it, but they aint making it easy. I refuse to spend money for money sake.
From what I've read, it seems while push-pull Class AB and Class B tube amps can put out more power, they lose the 2nd order harmonics, invalidating the reason for going for a tube amp.
Single Ended Triode however, still have that 2 order harmonic, but put out a lot less power which is why it would be better to use as a peramp for my main amps.

It would be interesting to try a little cheap 2 channel tube amp and see if I like it.

Doing tubes only really makes sense if you’re going SET (or maybe UL depending on the amp), so that limits you to really sensitive speakers.

What would your “cheap 2chan tube amp” budget be? I don’t think it’s really worth dropping $200 on a TubeCube .7 (plus tubes, if you plan to upgrade/roll) if you can stretch to get something like a Reisong A12, but then at that point the same argument could be made about going to a Willsenton R8 or Doge or whatever...and then you’re spending Decware money.

Toebone posted:

I've got a ~10 year old Samsung sound bar that I'm getting pretty tired of - the wireless subwoofer drops out, it turns itself back on after I turn it off, and other little annoyances. What should I look into for baby's first "real" audio system, ie receiver and speakers. It'll mostly be used for movies & videogames on my TV, some music off Bluetooth or my record player. I don't think I have the space/layout for a 5.1 setup (but maybe I do?)

I read the OP, but it looks like it was last updated 5 years ago and I'm sure some things have changed.

You have two (ok, actually three) options, depending on your space needs, aesthetic taste, budget, whether you plan to move in the short term (and whether it’s to a smaller or larger space), and so forth:

Option 1- stereo amp/receiver plus stereo speakers, preferably with a subwoofer. This is probably the best bang/buck option, and also it’s my personal favorite for a wide range of users/use cases. If space is at a premium then this is the option I’d go with.

I’m generally of the opinion that 2 big speakers up front with more WPC yields a “bigger”, more enjoyable, and more “theater like” experience than going with 5 or 7 tiny speakers with relatively low power allocated to each.

Option 2- that’s not to say that surround sound is “bad” or that it may not be what you should ultimately go with. I’d definitely stick to 5.1/5.2 in your shoes and go no larger, and I’d do my best to get the biggest speakers possible and most powerful receiver my budget would allow.

Option 3- Three speakers up front. This is a bit of a “hybrid” set up. You add a center channel up front to handle dialogue (not worth it IMO unless you’re willing to get a fairly beefy center, which most budget home theater sets don’t really have, or you’re going to literally just match it to your front R+L, like if you buy 3 LS50s or whatever)

You’d need a 5.1+ surround receiver to do this, and IMO the cons start to outweigh the pros unless your plan is to add surrounds in the near future (or like if your plan is to move to a bigger space and you want to add surrounds then)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Even if you go stereo, 5.1+ receivers are more available, have more features and are generally cheaper for the same functionality compared to stereo receivers. I would check out accessories4less and see what they have for entry level home theater receivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

Even if you go stereo, 5.1+ receivers are more available, have more features and are generally cheaper for the same functionality compared to stereo receivers. I would check out accessories4less and see what they have for entry level home theater receivers.

You can get passably solid stereo receivers (some of them are listed as integrated amps and don’t come with tuners) new for like $150-$350, which you cannot really say for a 5.1.

You lose out on HDMI connections, but all of them have optical/etc, so it’s not that much of a loss unless you insist on ARC/CEC/etc functions.