Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They did give us fish and chips. Well, their immigrant culture gave us fish and chips but that still counts. That's worth all the other god awful terrible foods they've unleashed on humanity. Jellied eels? I mean come on England...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Regarding British food and lack of seasoning - it's actually because we hate the French. They are very proud of their cuisine, but we see it as them having to fool around with fancy sauces to hide the fact that their meat is often high (or in some cases, named "Dobbin"). In Britain fresh meat is more readily obtained and so the natural flavour can be enjoyed.

That's also the source of our respective national insults. We call the French "frogs" because they eat weird poo poo including but not restricted to frogs, and they call us "rosbif" because we eat - oh, the horror! - roast beef with no special preparation.

I thought the French had occupied England for a while, hogging all the good meat. That's also why all the English words for meat on the table are derived from French, while the words for meat on the meadows are from the Old English that was used before the French stole all your meat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The normans and the rest of france did not necessarily get along very well, while they spoke french they would probably have objected to being compared to the rest of the french. Also technically they never really stopped "occupying" if you frame it that way because the dynasty and successors ruled england for about 400 years afterwards so they were as english as anyone else would have been.

French was a courtly language for a long time though because it's posh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean come on England...

Certainly would taste better than the food

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The normans and the rest of france did not necessarily get along very well, while they spoke french they would probably have objected to being compared to the rest of the french. Also technically they never really stopped "occupying" if you frame it that way because the dynasty and successors ruled england for about 400 years afterwards so they were as english as anyone else would have been.

French was a courtly language for a long time though because it's posh.

Might want to put "French" in quotes there, both in the context of now vs. 1066, and in the context of Normandy vs. Paris or any other parts of "France" in 1066.

Edit sorry reread, we agree. :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought the French had occupied England for a while, hogging all the good meat. That's also why all the English words for meat on the table are derived from French, while the words for meat on the meadows are from the Old English that was used before the French stole all your meat.

The Normans, but yeah, it's a mix of what you and OwlFancier said. The names for meat come from French because it was the language of the nobles who only saw animals on the table, while the names of the animals come from Old English because that was the language of farmers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I knew a german girl visiting the states who couldn't handle any mexican food because it was 'too spicy'

Not even like, chicken tortilla soup or chicken fajitas which had AFAICT no detectable hot peppers.

She was also openly horrified at the concept of taking home leftovers

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I think that "spicy" is the word people use when they're overwhelmed by flavour, just because they have no other word for it.
I can't think of any other explanation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Particular flavours, such as you find in curry, or with peppers, cayenne particularly, just basically switch off my tongue, so I don't see the appeal of eating them. Because I literally can't taste what I'm eating. It's a similar experience to eating when you have a cold, like you're just shoveling stuff into your mouth but there is no enjoyment so it's a struggle.

I assume if you eat a lot of it or grow up eating it you don't experience that but that whole range of the flavour profile just doesn't work for me. Love a good sweet and savoury though. Love stuff like french onion soup and fish pie, just a big mix of smoky, savoury, sometimes sweet flavours.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lady Disdain posted:

I think that "spicy" is the word people use when they're overwhelmed by flavour, just because they have no other word for it.
I can't think of any other explanation.

Spice-y vs spicy can be difficult to articulate

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Americans should just borrow from spanish to emphasize the difference between a nice spicy chai latte and a muy caliente borrito dun burnet muh tastebuds!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What is this sorcery :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/mrclo12/status/1378806250264219648?s=19

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dang that's some impressive legwork.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

drat that owns

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Traditional dances are badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4HOZQgEyVo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

500excf type r posted:

I use spicy for hot and spice-ed for heavily seasoned with things like... Cinnamon, caraway or other aromatics.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drat given how much taller she is than him I thought she was on one of those hoverboard things

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

She is moving on her toes though, isn't she?
Probably not that much of a hight difference.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

Apparently Queen Elizabeth doesn't like garlic, so all the meals served in Buckingham Palace are sans garlic, even though the standard cuisine served at state events there is 'classic french'. Prince Phillip reportedly likes curries but he can't ever have a curry just for himself if he's eating with her because she's the Queen and everyone has to eat what she's having because Protocol.

Well. LET HIM EAT CURRY!

rip

e- i mean besides all the racism

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

OwlFancier posted:

Particular flavours, such as you find in curry, or with peppers, cayenne particularly, just basically switch off my tongue, so I don't see the appeal of eating them. Because I literally can't taste what I'm eating. It's a similar experience to eating when you have a cold, like you're just shoveling stuff into your mouth but there is no enjoyment so it's a struggle.

I assume if you eat a lot of it or grow up eating it you don't experience that but that whole range of the flavour profile just doesn't work for me. Love a good sweet and savoury though. Love stuff like french onion soup and fish pie, just a big mix of smoky, savoury, sometimes sweet flavours.

There are some very mild curries out there. I'm sorry you can't eat delicious things

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

500excf type r posted:

This post serves as my official announcement that I'm going to attempt (through my own personal usage) to introduce the word "spiceful" into common parlance.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

OwlFancier posted:

I remember a post someone made about how for a long time they didn’t realise they were allergic to something (lemons?) until they mentioned in passing to a friend “oh, I don’t mind citrus flavours but I don’t like how they make your tongue and throat numb”.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m pretty sure this dude rolled his ankle eleven times during this dance. Ligaments of steel, or neuropathy? Either way he’s a champ

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

OwlFancier posted:

It depends on who you are. My wife always says that all she tastes is spicy when something has a lot of cayenne or habaneros. To me, spicy isn't a flavor, it's just a part of the enjoyment. I still taste everything else and I love the flavor of chilis. Especially ghost peppers., Awesome flavor. She can't taste it. She doesn't like the smoky taste of a ghost pepper vs the fruity flavor of an habanero. Anything above a serrano and she's out.

It must be the same effect you experience. I assume it's genetic. I don't think it relates to what you ate as a kid. My wife was eating Mexican food from a Hispanic neighborhood in Denver when she was little, full of hot peppers, yet she doesn't like spicy. I was eating incredibly bland North Dakota Norwegian food as a kid and I want my food so spicy that I cry. You have to put up with the heat to get the flavor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's just burny and tasteless, it doesn't have an element I would describe as flavour. Genetic or acquired based on diet during formative years I don't know.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lady Disdain posted:

This post serves as my official announcement that I'm going to attempt (through my own personal usage) to introduce the word "spiceful" into common parlance.

How could you be so spiceful toward us?

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

Lady Disdain posted:

How could you give your own brother the spiceful keychain Dominic?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

drat that owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybk6TKn-cNA

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Make it stop. Close to the only good justification for cluster bombs.

Make it stop.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

By popular demand posted:

Dang that's some impressive legwork.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh cool we found Morticia

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh cool we found Morticia

How long did the writers take after they came up with the name Morticia on trying to think of other names for the rest of the family? Or did they just say you know what good enough?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

donquixotic posted:

How long did the writers take after they came up with the name Morticia on trying to think of other names for the rest of the family? Or did they just say you know what good enough?

I googled it, apparently the character names were all created for the 1964 TV series because were never named in the original 1930s Charles Addams cartoons. Addams picked Morticia's name and he allowed actor John Astin to settle on a name for his character (he suggested Repelli or Gomez) and he went with Gomez.
https://addamsfamily.fandom.com/wiki/Gomez_Addams

Pugsley was originally going to be called Pubert but the TV station nixed that idea, but the name was brought back for the new Addams family baby in the film Addams Family Values.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I spent the first 40 years of my life being more or less the stereotypical white American chicken nuggets and pizza man-child. Then I had bariatric surgery, lost a poo poo-load of weight, and found myself with my guts rearranged in a way that prevents me from eating a big quantity of food in one meal, or a lot of the bready/carby/fried/simple sugars I lived on before, period. All of a sudden, I've developed all these new tastes and cravings I never had before. At 40 years old I went from being the guy who picks onions and peppers off of things to the guy who literally 'puts sriracha on his sriracha' (because I like the flavor of one brand but the heat of another). I've been going out of my way to different ethnic grocery stores (Asian, Hispanic, Mediterranean, Indian, etc) and collecting new sauces and spices I've never tried before -- sriracha, sambal, suki sauce, banana ketchup, etc, etc. Also started drinking coffee after spending my entire previous life being, "I like the smell of it but it's too bitter." guy. Anyway, I realize mine is an extreme example, but my point is just because you're white and you were raised a certain way to prefer bland food, you can change even when you're an old gently caress. In my case I guess it's because my physically limited diet caused me to look for new ways to appreciate food through variety and flavor instead of quantity or how easy it went down.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Apr 15, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also happens when people stop/reduce smoking and drinking and especially when people just start eating vegetables or cooking for themselves. Point is, we can all get better with effort and that effort, if you can afford it, will make your life more enjoyable. Few things more bad rear end than a life well lived, imo. The tragedy lies in food deserts and work schedules that preclude being able to cook and exercise, but that's a socioeconomic problem, not an individual one.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I also love the way online shopping has widened the variety of stuff you can get in food deserts. Like I used to have to go 3 towns over to a little asian grocery to find certain sauces and whatnot. Now I cn just click a few buttons and not have to worry if the one spot I could get it before still stocks it and is open on a sunday.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Shipping is often prohibitively expensive here, so I get to "window shop" at all the delightful foods available online that I still don't have access to.
I make up for it by taking an extra duffel bag every time I go to the city, and going wild in the Asian grocer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

Nthing the point about your palate being very adaptive to heat/spiciness. When I was a kid, my aunt was family-famous for eating intolerably hot curries. I've had a taste of one of these demon curries as an adult and now they are perfectly normal tasting to me - nice balance of heat and spices.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even as a kid who didn't really like spicy food growing up I never had so bad a reaction to it that it felt like I was trying to eat through a cold or wasn't able to taste the rest of my food through the heat. I find a lot of hotter peppers pretty pleasantly fruity, actually, even if I can only have them in small amounts.

It's entirely possible it's an allergy thing, even a mild one, so I can understand not wanting to subject oneself further to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bee fighting a botfly (i think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyatiHg9ZxA