Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Beamed posted:

I'll just repeat that I feel like Godzilla vs. Kong was a modern Showa-era Godzilla movie, down to the insane sci-fi elements (instead of aliens from Planet X with a cure for all disease, it's Hollow Earth with magic power crystals!), great monster characters, and light hearted human plot. It was very good.

Versus Kong is almost nothing like the Showa movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I re-watched King of the Monsters last night because I couldn't get to sleep, and I think I finally figured out what my problem with it is (going beyond the "Jesus Christ I can't see what's going on" thing you mentioned): It tries to cram way too much into an already-long two-hour movie, and it just winds up feeling bloated. I mean, it's not enough that there's Godzilla and another monster, we've got motherfuckin' Mothra! And motherfuckin' Mothra has a connection to a kid who is ... mildly telepathic or some poo poo! And, oh, hey, we got us some Rodan being a sassy little bitch! Dr. Serizawa is all up in this motherfucker! We've got a mega-tech plane that is a Super X in everything but name! We have technology that allows to not control, but maybe "guide" these Titans! OH poo poo, THE OXYGEN DESTROYER! Something something alphas! We've killed Godzilla but if we nuke him he comes back bigger, faster, stronger! Aw, poo poo, Godzilla himself is gonna have a nuclear meltdown!

And in the middle of all that, we have space alien Satan wrecking poo poo left and right, wanting nothing more than to end you and all you love, just because he can, because he's that much of an rear end in a top hat.

So it's a movie that in order to really do service to everything it introduces, it would need to be like five hours long. But no one, not even me, would sit through that pure Hell, so instead we have a two-hour movie that, in addition to all of its crazy poo poo, crams in about eighty to ninety minutes of completely mind-numbing human bullshit and world-building that would make Marvel Studios take a step back and say, "drat, son."

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy King of the Monsters and I'm so glad I saw it in a theater back in 2019, but the wrinkles on it show more every time I go back to it. Maybe it doing that complete and utter face-plant at the box office means Dougherty will finally get around to making the Trick R Treat sequel he's been talking about for a decade (seriously, Blumhouse, just give Dougherty $15 million and let him go nuts).

Timby, it is I, I am The Who that would sit through a 5 hour KotM cut.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I've always been pretty cool on Kyle Chandler, even going back to Friday Night Lights I've thought he's pretty bland and has a weird way of over-emoting and really only alternates between "mumbling / whistling," "speaking normally" and "YELLING BECAUSE OH poo poo THE WORLD IS GOING TO END LET'S MAKE SOME poo poo HAPPEN" (he's kind of like ... I don't know, a poor man's Bruce Boxleitner, which is funny in and of itself because Boxleitner himself is a poor man's Michael Douglas), but everyone else was strangely soporific, too (it didn't help that Bradley Whitford's character was utterly inanely written, but that's another story). Charles Dance, Vera Farmiga, Sally Hawkins, the solidly reliable Millie Bobby Brown, Ken Watanabe, even David Strathairn--who is a guy so stupidly charismatic that I will watch him read the obituaries from a local newspaper--are all acting like they got IV doses of Xanax or clonidine about ten minutes before Dougherty called "action," and I just really cannot make heads or tails of their performances.

When I was rewatching KOTM the other night I thought Chandler would be a good candidate for a Hemingway biopic based on the three minutes when they were trying to make him look like a rugged wilderness dude. Chandler has been in so many flat handsome everyman roles that for a long time I thought he was the male lead in Dark Skies (the 90's TV series).

KOTM definitely has a fuckton of nonsense, but after all that it's still only 130m which qualifies as "light on your feet" for blockbuster movies these days. I didn't really have trouble following anything as much as I had trouble caring about the human characters. There's also this dumb meta thing going on at times in these movies. Sally Hawkins is killed at one point to put over Ghidorah, and it's clear that the only reason we have to care is that she was the lead in Shape of Water.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 11, 2021

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Versus Kong is almost nothing like the Showa movies.

The bit where godzilla shoots a hole into Kong's house to yell at him was extremely showa, complete with face fast cuts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just release the second half on its own, I say. That part was pretty good. I don't care about the lovely humans at all lol

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I liked the part where the giant ape hacked apart the robot lizard with a glowy axe. That was fun and this was a fun movie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My favorite part was when monke

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is a movie where I agree with every criticism every person has with it, but still really liked it.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Beamed posted:

I'll just repeat that I feel like Godzilla vs. Kong was a modern Showa-era Godzilla movie, down to the insane sci-fi elements (instead of aliens from Planet X with a cure for all disease, it's Hollow Earth with magic power crystals!), great monster characters, and light hearted human plot. It was very good.

This is how I felt about it. People tend to forget just how turbo silly showa-aera godzilla was. This had the right tone and I enjoyed it as an exercise of the love that went into making such a silly movie.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is a movie where I agree with every criticism every person has with it, but still really liked it.
yeah this is a movie is immune to all forms of criticism. It doesn't matter. This is a movie where kong wields a giant glowy axe he finds in the hollow earth.

It's also a great movie to watch while rip roaringly baked.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i don't understand today's heathcliff but it has a nice drawing of godzilla in it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Heathcliff kisses the frog to make it a prince (or, "king") and it becomes Prince/King of the Monsters, while retaining it's grudge against a neighborhood dog.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The closest Showa movie to GvK is probably Vs. Megalon, which still has a nice human story about a gay couple, their adopted son and their robot butler. The enemies have motivation, there is continuity with Gigan being sent by the last alien enemies and the tag team battle at the end has more joy and humor in it.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Shiroc posted:

The closest Showa movie to GvK is probably Vs. Megalon, which still has a nice human story about a gay couple, their adopted son and their robot butler. The enemies have motivation, there is continuity with Gigan being sent by the last alien enemies and the tag team battle at the end has more joy and humor in it.

I'm surprised you also didn't mention the inconclusion of everybody's favorite robot.

Edit: Inclusion! His story's not over, thankfully!

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 12, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Dammerung posted:

I'm surprised you also didn't mention the conclusion of everybody's favorite robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVFq5LueSA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a video I found online about some of the lost Godzilla/kaiju media, there's some crazy poo poo in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdio-1OH3hQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dammerung posted:

I'm surprised you also didn't mention the inconclusion of everybody's favorite robot.

Edit: Inclusion! His story's not over, thankfully!

Jet Jaguar is no one's favorite robot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No one likes Jet Jaguar, it’s true.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Is there actually a canonical explanation of the relationship between the main human characters in Vs Megalon? It's a robot scientist, a kid who hangs around him who I guess is his son? And then some secret agent guy who goes on picnics with them. I know "gay couple with adopted son" the the logical assumption to make, but I struggle to think that was intended by something made in 1973.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Is there actually a canonical explanation of the relationship between the main human characters in Vs Megalon? It's a robot scientist, a kid who hangs around him who I guess is his son? And then some secret agent guy who goes on picnics with them. I know "gay couple with adopted son" the the logical assumption to make, but I struggle to think that was intended by something made in 1973.

The kid is the inventor's brother. The other guy is the inventor's friend. I don't think there's any attempt to establish that in the movie itself, but it may have been explained in the press kit or promotional materials the same way a bunch of Star Wars characters were only named on trading cards and stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

Jet Jaguar is no one's favorite robot.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Vince MechMahon posted:

this but the entire kaiju genre

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Asterite34 posted:

The movie is ridiculously gay. The two men are clearly lovers. The two kaiju teams come off gay partners having a joking brawl fight. Literally no woman speaks in the entire runtime. Even if it wasn't intended as such, somebody 'accidentally' made the gayest possible Godzilla movie without making it explicit in the text.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1381672284054810625?s=20

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jet Jaguar has been featured in the promotional materials for the Godzilla Singular Point anime far, far more than Godzilla has, weirdly enough. One of the main characters is part of a team that built and maintains Jet Jaguar.

As for Godzilla, at this point I'm wondering if he's not gonna show up until the last two episodes or something.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Jet Jaguar, god love him, is Ultraman Lite anyway, so they should figure out whatever licensing issues there are and get Legendary Ultraman in the mix

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of licensing...

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1381653387444252673

I really can't imagine the Legendary approach to Kaiju working for Gundam, but maybe I'm wrong. Brian K. Vaughan wrote the script and he's a big Gundam nerd. Probably won't put jokes about fluoridated water in his movie.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Not in this show! Unless things change as the series progresses this Jet Jaguar is probably the most realistic-looking robot in the Godzilla franchise (aside from its weird, goofy head, which is one of the first things anybody says about him). It also helps that most of the monsters are smaller, too (there's an entire flock of Rodans, but so far they're all about the size of quetzalcoatlus).

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 12, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of licensing...

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1381653387444252673

I really can't imagine the Legendary approach to Kaiju working for Gundam, but maybe I'm wrong. Brian K. Vaughan wrote the script and he's a big Gundam nerd. Probably won't put jokes about fluoridated water in his movie.

Kong Skull Island was very nice to look at and had lots of intentional silliness, so this news makes me a little more optimistic.

But the previous announcement that it's being written by the showrunner of Under The Dome made me pretty pessimistic.

The director news doesn't balance that out, so I'm still a little pessimistic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Between the Monsterverse movies and Pacific Rim, maybe the studios are a little less averse to making mecha shows.

It's a new type of audience now that everyone's gotta stay spaced out so much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OB_Juan posted:

Between the Monsterverse movies and Pacific Rim, maybe the studios are a little less averse to making mecha shows.

It's a new type of audience now that everyone's gotta stay spaced out so much.

100% it's because of superhero films.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

100% it's because of superhero films.

Yeah, CGI spectacles with a ton of franchise potential and a built-in audience are "in" nowadays

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Jet Jaguar, god love him, is Ultraman Lite anyway, so they should figure out whatever licensing issues there are and get Legendary Ultraman in the mix

Wouldn't happen without a gigantic payout to Tsuburaya, who would still demand final approval on everything, and you'd likely still wind up with the live-action version of the Hanna-Barbera Ultraman USA. Ew.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hexmage-SA posted:

Not in this show! Unless things change as the series progresses this Jet Jaguar is probably the most realistic-looking robot in the Godzilla franchise (aside from its weird, goofy head, which is one of the first things anybody says about him). It also helps that most of the monsters are smaller, too (there's an entire flock of Rodans, but so far they're all about the size of quetzalcoatlus).

That’s just gyaos

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Binary Badger posted:

Wouldn't happen without a gigantic payout to Tsuburaya, who would still demand final approval on everything, and you'd likely still wind up with the live-action version of the Hanna-Barbera Ultraman USA. Ew.

Considering that the Ultraman blurays are being put out by Mill Creek, of "50 sci-fi movies for 15 dollars!" DVD set fame, Tsuburaya isn't pricing the Ultraman license that high.

And judging from the currently running Marvel comic, Tsuburaya is being extremely hands off with their licensed foreign adaptations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

June!

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1381783170782138369?s=21

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

YESSSSSS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

and you'd likely still wind up with the live-action version of the Hanna-Barbera Ultraman USA. Ew.

You wanna go into detail about what you mean here?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great! Can we stop talking about without spoiler bars please?

Vogt-Roberts is the perfect director for Gundam too. He's insanely faithful to these things judging by his Kong commentary. Takes the material very seriously and it showed with how drat good that movie was. He's also working on Metal Gear Solid directly with Kojima so that is gonna be an insane movie.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Are there just thousands of smaller rodans or is there also a really big one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
In case anybody else preordered one of those weird Shin Godzilla embryos I just got a shipping notification for mine