Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Baronjutter posted:

I can't handle broadside ships very well. I got one recently and that's actually what made me research the vanilla ships and realize there wasn't a cruiser or small capital sized ships with 2 forward facing large energy.

I always seem to go large energy, would love to try shooty guns but again just never found a fun ship. A mini conquest with a couple large forward facing guns would be fun.

Yeah, you want the ZREDACTED.

poo poo's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So I've been fiddling around with respecs, and I'm left wondering what the deal is with the industry tree.

People will want both lvl3 skills as a quality-of-life thing and one lvl4 skill as a way to help define their playstyle and that's it.
Everything else is just quality of life but less noteworthy than lvl3.

If it's meant to be 'take these only while leveling then respec', might as well either scrap it and tweak the underlying numbers by default, or give you them automatically as you level then open the real skill choices at lvl10.

Basically, the previous skill system felt like more of a way to define your character and playstyle than the current one, with certain impressive exceptions.

Edit: realised I forgot to point out the issue with the lvl3 industry skills:
With this update the skills are all about meaningful choices. Sure, sounds legit. But lvl3 industry is a choice between supplies and fuel. And unlike the other choices in other skills and trees, you need both of these things, you get them in the same ways, and with the exception of certain hazards (flying too close to the sun), you lose them in similar ways.
So what's the loving point?

Atopian fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 12, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
New skill tree is a bit of a dumpster fire, yeah. Can't do much about it unless Alex scraps and redoes the system. Again.

Sure it won't be too long before comprehensive overhauls to skills come along either way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A supplies/fuel choice is more "do you spend more time travelling between systems or pissing about in-system" because you only use fuel for the latter. So if you have greater fuel economy you want to move between systems looking for good stuff, whereas if you have supply economy you want to exhaustively search every system.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly it'd always be a nobrainer supply choice for me, since CR replenishment/repairs needs supplies. If you were more of a space trucker I could see the fuel one being more useful though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I've had supply crunches due to combat, fuel crunches not so much. I don't think it's that important of a skill pick, at least the point that it somehow means the entire system is hosed lol

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is the story over for now after you get the Janus Device?

e: nevermind, wiki says it is.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 12, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I've had supply crunches due to combat, fuel crunches not so much. I don't think it's that important of a skill pick, at least the point that it somehow means the entire system is hosed lol

I can see that point. Which then leads to another: that's the second-most important decision in the Industry tree.
So if it doesn't really matter, that tree might as well just be the lvl4 skill pick.
...which is unfortunate, since the previous version had some industry skills with actual bite.

Edit:
Meanwhile, the tech tree is full of Very Yes, the combat tree has some interesting choices regarding important bonuses, and the leadership tree... has some interesting choices about mostly not so important bonuses.

Overall the new skill system feels like a step forward in design philosophy, but a step backward in its implementation. So far back that I'd prefer to keep stuff like story points, colony rebalancing, frigate rebalancing (with caveats), but somehow revert to the old skill system until the new one has some more polish.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 12, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It feels that the most optimum route is to get tech skills for the fitting skill, then get leadership skills for either better officers or more officers. Or play with mods that adjust the max level and get everything. Yes you can get the skill for automated ships, but that's sort of meh? you can get 3 remenant frigates with 3 gamma cores, or a battleship with alpha core with 45% CR or so.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 12, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I feel like I can see what was intended for the Industry tree.
Combine all of lvl1 and lvl3 and it's "you don't need to care about resupply".
Lvl4 is a choice, but either way comes to "you don't have to care about your ships exploding in combat".
Lvl5 is "you don't have to worry about the colony dilemma implied by the current rules".

Good ideas, just need to implement them in such a way that the first one happens without looping back through the skills, and then think of 2 more cool ideas to fill the other tiers.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Atopian posted:

Yeah. Spending 3 story points on my Eagle (hard shields, ITU, extra flux dissipation) and then spending the freed-up ITU points on even more flux have made it foolishly good at its job. Takes a capital to outflux it one-to-one, and it can support with beams or ballistic from across the screen.

What's your loadout like for this bad bird? I lucked into one through a bar event, but this is my first day of playing Starsector and I have no idea how to fit my beautiful new flagship out. If it makes a difference, I have a few faction mods installed: Scy, Tahlan, and Mayasuran, just in case any of those have Eagle-complimenting weaponry.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Kestral posted:

What's your loadout like for this bad bird? I lucked into one through a bar event, but this is my first day of playing Starsector and I have no idea how to fit my beautiful new flagship out. If it makes a difference, I have a few faction mods installed: Scy, Tahlan, and Mayasuran, just in case any of those have Eagle-complimenting weaponry.

Unsure about the mod stuff, but for vanilla a few people shared their (equally valid, down to taste) loadings a couple of pages ago.

Mine would be:

MedBall: 2xHVD 1x Mauler (flip, depending on expected role) - these with ITU let you reach across the battlefield. There is no retreat for anything larger than a frigade.

MedEn: 1xIon Beam 2xPhase Lance - ion autofires to mess up whatever you gave hard flux to with the ballistics, phase lances drop anything that lowers shields near you, but be careful with their flux.

SmallEn Front: 3xTac Laser - I love these things for pressure and fighter clearing. ITU keeps them relevant across the battlefield. Other people usually prefer some sort of PD though.

SmallEn Rear: 2xPD of some sort.

As mentioned, ITU, Hardened shields, Flux dissipation.
If you get the skill that allows you to add Even More Flux, maybe don't add full dissipation at the cost of cap. Dissipation up to normal max is great, but a lot of the time you're going to be in the thick of it and unable to vent/lower shields - your cap determines how long you can stay there as hard flux builds.

For AI use, consider replacing the phase lances, as they frequently waste them on fighters. Maybe have maulers instead of HVDs and use gravitons against shields? That makes the ion less relevant, of course, since the flux you build isn't hard, so then you'd drop the ion and go 3xGraviton.

Or, just accept that the AI will waste some flux on fighters and hope it doesn't happen too much.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 12, 2021

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I switched to the fuel economy choice after hitting max level, now that I keep 400 marines in two Phantoms to farm supplies from pirates (thanks for the tip in this thread). Capital-heavy fleets use a lot of fuel, and it's nice to be able to emergency burn without affecting CR.

I'm really liking Phantoms and Revenants for support, but it's too bad they don't come with civilian hulls and can't be converted to it. They really cut into all your combat ship and phase ship skill bonuses.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting so frustrated with carrier AI that I feel like, with the new built-in mod system, I could presumably get away with running no carriers but instead having converted hangars on all my gunline ships and only stocking PD-heavy fighters. Probably helps out slimming down the fleet's overall footprint too, in order to max out on the skill bonuses and whatnot.

EDIT: Worked out swimmingly in a test run, lol. 12 OP for a pair of those badass mod-added not-gundams that were specced for PD work; they swatted the drones, annoyed the Venture, and would pop their EMP whenever it would dump a Harpoon salvo. This was a pretty good idea.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 12, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SugarAddict posted:

It feels that the most optimum route is to get tech skills for the fitting skill, then get leadership skills for either better officers or more officers. Or play with mods that adjust the max level and get everything. Yes you can get the skill for automated ships, but that's sort of meh? you can get 3 remenant frigates with 3 gamma cores, or a battleship with alpha core with 45% CR or so.

It should be possible to go 9 points down the green tree to get both the officer skills, and then respec and still keep them.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

So I've slightly burned out on the stock ships in the game. Keep hoping for a "perfect" flagship but it doesn't seem to exist in vanilla. Apogee is too small and fragile, Paragon is too big and slow. My dream ship is something in between. Something fairly fast, good shields, maybe 2 forward facing large energy mounts and not much else. A "big sunder" ?? Does anyone know a mod that might add a ship like that?

The champion?

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Champion

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You know that AI inspection we told you about, I think we are gonna just agree that everything is fine here and there no need for alarm.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Are 'Underworld' and the 'Ship and Weapon Pack' mods that you need to start your game with, or can I activate them later on once my campaign is running? Because I'd love to get going now, with Nexerelin having updated, but those two still haven't had their 0.95 releases.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mordecai posted:

I switched to the fuel economy choice after hitting max level, now that I keep 400 marines in two Phantoms to farm supplies from pirates (thanks for the tip in this thread). Capital-heavy fleets use a lot of fuel, and it's nice to be able to emergency burn without affecting CR.

I'm really liking Phantoms and Revenants for support, but it's too bad they don't come with civilian hulls and can't be converted to it. They really cut into all your combat ship and phase ship skill bonuses.

For what its worth, I just got the mod that lets you ignore skill-deployment limits and ran the fleets I wanted to. Just for my enjoyment of the game it helped a lot. The skill tree is already restrictive and it isn't like you can ever deploy your whole fleet anyway, so I'm not seeing the point of those skill effectiveness vs deployment limits.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Gimmick Account posted:

Are 'Underworld' and the 'Ship and Weapon Pack' mods that you need to start your game with, or can I activate them later on once my campaign is running? Because I'd love to get going now, with Nexerelin having updated, but those two still haven't had their 0.95 releases.

Underworld adds a new faction which wouldn't appear if you added it midgame afaik, SWP should be fine but I'm not sure how added bounties are handled midgame.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Nalesh posted:

Underworld adds a new faction which wouldn't appear if you added it midgame afaik, SWP should be fine but I'm not sure how added bounties are handled midgame.

That makes sense! Guess I'll have to wait then, drat. I really like the Cabal too much as a constant hyperspace threat and as a source of ships to start without them.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

It should be possible to go 9 points down the green tree to get both the officer skills, and then respec and still keep them.

It's not. You cannot respec out of dependent skills for permanent skills.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Wait... where you supposed to fight the ziggurat when you first run into it? It just zoomed over to me and let me disengage without pressing for a fight, or was it just scan and go?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Plek posted:

just scan and go?
You can totally just scan it and go and it will count for the story, although you might also have to sneak in the planet orbit to examine the stuff there, not sure, because I did both in my playthrough before getting to that story step and when I got there it immediately skipped to the next story mission.
Still, you should definitely fight and commandeer it if you've got the fleet for it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SugarAddict posted:

It's not. You cannot respec out of dependent skills for permanent skills.

That’s what he meant. You’d keep the two useful officer skills but the rest will be freed up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to get more of the weapons you find in the Alpha Site system? I managed to snag a few odds and ends in there - I forget if they were from the ship or the shielded container you can find - but it's kind of an odd assortment. One cryoflamer, two of some antimatter missile, and one each of a couple different small energy weapons. Is this it or can I eventually get more? I haven't tried to fight the things that guard the Coronal Hypershunt yet.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah I'll fleet up and give it a go. I'm definitely feeling the creepy vibe they've got going.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet

Gimmick Account posted:

There's unofficial patches for SWP, Underworld and Interstellar Imperium on the discord. The person that made them specifically asks they not be linked elsewhere but um... shrug.

Dal#7192 posted:

If anyone needs these, I'll repost in full. These should be safe and stable, only lacking rebalance and new features for 0.95 still.

Unofficial 0.95 Ship and Weapon Pack (r2, requires manual edit to continue saves from r1) -
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kf1ssx2b7wb7nsj/Unofficial_095_Ship_and_Weapon_Pack_r2.7z/file
https://www38.zippyshare.com/v/2tN7XBDu/file.html
Unofficial 0.95 Underworld (r2) -
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2tkwgi1ensq2vnu/Unofficial_095_Underworld_r2.7z/file
https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/LJiSjCjP/file.html
Unofficial 095 Interstellar Imperium (r2) -
https://www.mediafire.com/file/q6fx35d8us7tpum/Unofficial_095_Interstellar_Imperium_r2.7z/file
https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/zLN48gJI/file.html

They've each been tested, but use at your own discretion. At the author's request, please do not link these anywhere outside this Discord server.

If the above isn't kosher and a mod deletes it, search "from: Dal#7192 unofficial" in #modded_gameplay on the Starsector discord.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way to get more of the weapons you find in the Alpha Site system? I managed to snag a few odds and ends in there - I forget if they were from the ship or the shielded container you can find - but it's kind of an odd assortment. One cryoflamer, two of some antimatter missile, and one each of a couple different small energy weapons. Is this it or can I eventually get more? I haven't tried to fight the things that guard the Coronal Hypershunt yet.

the things that guard the hypershunts have them (there are two hypershunts on every map AFAIK) and you can also get a bounty for more from tri tachyon contacts

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Flavahbeast posted:

the things that guard the hypershunts have them (there are two hypershunts on every map AFAIK) and you can also get a bounty for more from tri tachyon contacts

Two hypershunts? I'm pretty sure I've been to every system on my map and there's just one. If I have to search every system again... :negative:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Honestly it'd always be a nobrainer supply choice for me, since CR replenishment/repairs needs supplies. If you were more of a space trucker I could see the fuel one being more useful though.

The supply skill only reduces your supply costs for maintenance, though, not repairing or recovering CR. And maintenance amounts to like, 10% of your supply use, tops. Meanwhile the fuel skill cuts your fuel use in half while increasing fuel salvage, basically meaning you never have to buy fuel again.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They only spawn at blue giants afik.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Also don't underestimate the E-Burn bonus of not reducing your CR anymore on the fuel skill. It's more useful than you first think.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Baronjutter posted:

So I've slightly burned out on the stock ships in the game. Keep hoping for a "perfect" flagship but it doesn't seem to exist in vanilla. Apogee is too small and fragile, Paragon is too big and slow. My dream ship is something in between. Something fairly fast, good shields, maybe 2 forward facing large energy mounts and not much else. A "big sunder" ?? Does anyone know a mod that might add a ship like that?

Everyone forgets about the Odyssey.

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Odyssey

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I thought that was a mod ship because I didnt see a single one in any fleet in my vanilla campaign

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No they ignore it because it is an asymetrical high tech turd that is rightfully relegated to officer fodder. :colbert:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kestral posted:

I've never found the eagle that satisfying to actually fly personally, I always throw an officer in it and keep using a Frigate or Destroyer... but that's probably because the first cruiser I flew was a pirate falcon and that's the best cruiser in the game.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Zudgemud posted:

No they ignore it because it is an asymetrical high tech turd that is rightfully relegated to officer fodder. :colbert:

I... disagree!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How do people fit their Falcon-Ps? I’ve tired them with sabots in the turrets and harpoons in the other slots and I can never tel how effective they are (as their speed usually means they end up on the flanks of the fight, where I can’t see them easily, which often gets them crunched for their trouble if they get cut-off).

It’s also hard to tell when they’re out of ammo. I wish targeting a friendly shows you their ammo status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Finished what there was for plot missions. A lot of fetching but the writing was mostly good and hints at a lot more possible. I look forward to fighting off the hellish beings unleashed upon the sector. Or whatever is next, anyway.

Also putting in my vote for the Champion as the new best ship. It does everything a cruiser should do.