Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

At least with console fandom, stupid as it is, you can see how its rooted in not wanting buyer's remorse over missing out on console exclusive games or whatever. And with graphics cards you get certain technologies that are exclusive to either vendor. But this whole team red/team blue thing is literally just rooted in ... whichever one does maths the fastest for cheapest? And yet people get just as tribal as with everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

At least with console fandom, stupid as it is, you can see how its rooted in not wanting buyer's remorse over missing out on console exclusive games or whatever. And with graphics cards you get certain technologies that are exclusive to either vendor. But this whole team red/team blue thing is literally just rooted in ... whichever one does maths the fastest for cheapest? And yet people get just as tribal as with everything else?

You don’t have an intel inside (tm) tramp stamp? Because I do.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You don’t have an intel inside (tm) tramp stamp? Because I do.

Does anyone actually do anything with the little glitzy stickers that come with their CPUs? I feel like to slap it on my case would somewhat defeat the point of having built my own PC from scratch

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Announcing your OnlyFans on the first of April is a genius move. People hate it? "It's just a prank, bro!" People love it? Go trade component pics for cash.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Does anyone actually do anything with the little glitzy stickers that come with their CPUs? I feel like to slap it on my case would somewhat defeat the point of having built my own PC from scratch

It lives in the motherboard box with all the useless garbage they send.

Or goes to my kid.

I thought it was cool when I built my first unit at like 13.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I put the case stickers that came with things on my case back in 2005. Now I just toss them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Grumbles posted:

Noctua is the only one gracing my case. Team red? Team green? Team blue? No, team brown

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I slap stickers on the underside of my keyboard.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

Does anyone actually do anything with the little glitzy stickers that come with their CPUs?

I put the AMD Ryzen sticker on my case to cover the hole where the firewire port used to be. It's a black sticker, so it looks slightly better than a piece of electrical tape.

(The firewire port is no longer there because I wanted to replace it with a USB 3 port, got as far as destructively removing it, then figured out that my simple replacement idea wasn't gonna work and this was a bigger mod than I'd planned. Still want to do that, and mod one of the 120mm fans up to 140mm, but that required a full strip-down of the case so it's a fair project.)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

Huh, like PSU rails? Good PSUs these days rarely have multiple 12v rails.

I always get PSUs way above the minimum volts needed so it's probably very common at that level to have multiple 12v rails.

I do machine learning stuff (no crypto, but training does as much/more work than what crypto does) and they will suck as much power as you give them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

EVIL Gibson posted:

I always get PSUs way above the minimum volts needed so it's probably very common at that level to have multiple 12v rails.

Not anymore, it isn't. PSU's with more than one physical 12v rail are a weird curiosity these days - you really have to go look specifically for them, and I'm not even sure if any modern designs exist at all. High end PSU's in the 1500-1600W range are all single rail these days. In the real high end PSU's though you can set overcurrent protection per connector in software, if you like, which gets you the one benefit multiple rails ever had. The 5v and 3.3v rails barely draw any power anymore, and all modern PSU's are DC-DC designs where the 12v supply powers the minor rails as well (except for 5VSB, the standby power, always the special snowflake). So, single 12v rail is both more efficient and more flexible for the user, and there's really no point to having multiple 12v rails anymore.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 2, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Counter point: having multiple 12v rails is a nice way to avoid having a 800-1200watt short.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there is a single modern platform that I'd label 'Good' that runs on multiple 12v rails.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EngineerJoe posted:

Counter point: having multiple 12v rails is a nice way to avoid having a 800-1200watt short.

Counter-counterpoint: why are you loving with a system when it's turned on and drawing 1200 watts?

Because that's the only way that could happen. If you accidentally shorted 12v to ground while it was turned off, it will trip the SCP the instant you flip power back on before it's even fully energized.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't think there is a single modern platform that I'd label 'Good' that runs on multiple 12v rails.

One of Corsair's high-end models has a "multi-rail mode" but AFAIK it's better described as individual over-current protection to each cable header, and behind the scenes it's a single rail.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Klyith posted:

Counter-counterpoint: why are you loving with a system when it's turned on and drawing 1200 watts?

Because that's the only way that could happen. If you accidentally shorted 12v to ground while it was turned off, it will trip the SCP the instant you flip power back on before it's even fully energized.

One of Corsair's high-end models has a "multi-rail mode" but AFAIK it's better described as individual over-current protection to each cable header, and behind the scenes it's a single rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUscSRLwks

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I was going to link to this too. Thanks :)

My Emermax Revolution DF 850W PSU is multirail and gave me no issues with my 5900x and 3080 gpu.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I was thinking of mentioning how fire hazards like the NXTZ situation are the potential danger that flies underneath the PSU protection radar.

But that's the case whether you have a little 400 watt PSU or a monster 1200 watt one, multiple rails or single. The reason the pcie riser can catch on fire is because the short is so small that it doesn't look like a short to the protection. It's got a decent amount of resistance so the short-circuit protection doesn't kick in, and doesn't let many amps through so the over-current doesn't trip. A PSU, of any quality or design, can't tell the difference between that short and a normal component.

The amount of power that was getting through that short was probably in the low tens of watts, when you look at how long it took to catch fire. Unfortunately, it doesn't take many watts to set a flammable thing on fire.

EngineerJoe posted:

My Emermax Revolution DF 850W PSU is multirail and gave me no issues with my 5900x and 3080 gpu.

There's nothing wrong with it, just little advantage with the way that PCs have evolved to 1 or 2 extremely high-wattage components. If you might need to supply 500 watts to a GPU, your have to make 12V rails deliver 500 watts, and that's really not much difference from 800 in the case of a disaster.

And much like the Corsair one, that Enermax has multiple over-current circuits being fed by the same hardware. All of the 12V rails have a single combined wattage rating on the PSu chart. That's different from the old multi-rail that nobody does anymore, where the rails would also have separate wattage listings, because the division between them went further back.

tldr: your enermax psu will be happy to light a nzxt riser or other flawed product on fire

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
So for April Fools Linus Tech Tips announced they were opening an Only Fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwjqZZgcWk

Neat joke, huh? Well, they actually did open one and accidentally became a top 1% creator on the platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzx96dGtmws&t=135s

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 3, 2021

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1377838530798383106

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Linus show feet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Linus show feet.

The dude already obsessively wears sandals what more do you want

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Well, someone called it:

Flail Snail posted:

Announcing your OnlyFans on the first of April is a genius move. People hate it? "It's just a prank, bro!" People love it? Go trade component pics for cash.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want ASMR videos of RAM being inserted god drat.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
kliksphilip isn't a techtuber, but he did put out this funny UserBenchmark video for April 1st.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qflqUpxTZP4

really, he had no choice

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 9, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

not even watercooled?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/2Snacks/status/1381220161483644933

I don't know exactly what's going on here

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty self explainatory to me.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I’ve got a strong suspicion of what it might be

a HoloLive thing - potato had Polka’s hat and the next PC along had Botan’s stripes

ed:
Found it

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 13, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And the other 2 are Lamy and Nene, the other 2 5th gen girls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't sure where to post this, because RAM doesn't belong in the GPU thread, and neither in either of the CPU manufacturer threads, but I am using youtubers as a source, so here goes:

on April 5th, Gamers Nexus reported that RAM manufacturers were reporting that RAM prices were going to increase based on contracts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mrb5YH4ng&t=966s

now Greg Salazar is saying that RAM prices have been rising since the beginning of 2021 to the tune of about 30%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSwFVxmjA8g, though apparently its been anticipated since January

so yeah NUMBER GO UP

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah I bought 32 Gigs of G.SKILL Trident Z Neo in October for $230CAD and now it's on sale for $304!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
gently caress I'm just never going to build a computer ever again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's gonna slowly turn into a rich kid hobby if things keep going bad. This could destroy the scene if only a bunch of whales are in it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
every supply chain on the planet is still hosed sideways, honestly i'm surprised it took this long.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, Bitcorn.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah I bought 32 Gigs of G.SKILL Trident Z Neo in October for $230CAD and now it's on sale for $304!

Yeah the RAM I paid $128 for about 8 months ago is $173 now.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It's gonna slowly turn into a rich kid hobby if things keep going bad. This could destroy the scene if only a bunch of whales are in it.

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

You can build good PCs that last for a long time even for gaming pretty cheap these days, it's absolutely not a "rich kid hobby". But hardware cycles used to be way faster back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prices fluctuate , it happens.

I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz CL14 about 4 years ago for $180 USED (trident Z, no RGB). And this is not age pricing, a year before that it was down near $100.

Same kit about a year and a half ago was down to like $80.

Now it’s back up. It’ll go down again. There’s DRAM shortages due to supply issues, partially due to Covid and partially due to the Texas freeze that shut down Samsung’s DRAM factory for a few days. It’ll swing like everything else.