Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Cheating or not it's the batsman's own drat fault for getting runout on that occasion.

Should've been running for the crease rather than listening to what the WK was yapping on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fanatic posted:

Cheating or not it's the batsman's own drat fault for getting runout on that occasion.

Should've been running for the crease rather than listening to what the WK was yapping on about.

Also true but it’s pretty clear that the law was broken.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Quinton was definitely de Kock, but the batter was also definitely a stupid Fakhar

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ravindra comin yo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
shh lads, it's county cricket time

https://twitter.com/DurhamCricket/status/1379430463400386566

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I watched the IPL game today and it was good and insanely volatile. Like every 2 overs you felt like another team had it in the bag and it came down to the last ball. Maxwell hit one out of the stadium and de Villiers was having a good time. I feel bad for the bowlers who mostly just get shelled but then you got guys who grab 3 wickets in 4 balls so I guess it's just how it goes. Going to continue watching them b/c they come on at 10am EST and I'm off for a week. They just need to get rid of that trumpet jingle they play every 15 seconds or so.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I watched some of Yorkshire v Glamorgan. It was extremely county and also had Joe Root get out playing a loving dumb shot.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/tjaldred/status/1380856210191233028

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's annoying, I was hoping to see Billy hit a ton and Joe look conflicted.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's still snowing there. I don't know if they'll be able to clear the outfield before close.

God might have stopped Yorkshire taking an embarrassing loss.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good lad, Billy.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/04/12/not-cricket-wickets-renamed-outs-hundred/

quote:

Get ready for "outs" instead of wickets when the new Hundred format launches in July.

In an effort to make the sport more accessible to new supporters, English cricket chiefs are ready to overhaul some of the game's historic terminology.

Telegraph Sport understands that one of the biggest changes will be that wickets will be described as "outs", while batsmen will be called batters in the men’s form of the game.

Scrapping the term "wickets" promises to completely overhaul the way in which scoring is described. It means a team could be described as having 75 runs off 32 balls for two outs instead of 75 for two wickets off 32 balls. A bowler can still be said to have taken a wicket but could be described as claiming 15 "outs" off 120 balls in the competition so far.

The ideas have been extensively tested with focus groups and met with favourable responses, encouraging the ECB to be brave, bold and go for change, even though such moves are likely to infuriate the game's traditional domestic fanbase.

Alison Mitchell said on Twitter it's actually just a floated idea and not decided yet but I am glad to see the ECB being brave enough to make the changes the game needs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They excel at fiddling while Rome burns.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Scylo posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/04/12/not-cricket-wickets-renamed-outs-hundred/

Alison Mitchell said on Twitter it's actually just a floated idea and not decided yet but I am glad to see the ECB being brave enough to make the changes the game needs.

While their at it, put two extra sets of stumps down and make them run counterclockwise

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

England truly is the worst.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 13, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

People need to realize that cricket, particularly Test Cricket, is a niche, archaic dinosaur of a sport. And nothing you can do will change that.

And that stupid poo poo like that, (calling wickets "outs", because wicket is a confusing word), doesn't make new people like the game, it just turns away those who previously liked it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BrigadierSensible posted:

People need to realize that cricket, particularly Test Cricket, is a niche, archaic dinosaur of a sport. And nothing you can do will change that.

And that stupid poo poo like that, (calling wickets "outs", because wicket is a confusing word), doesn't make new people like the game, it just turns away those who previously liked it.

I dont know test cricket does alright in Australia... probably better than ODI cricket at this point. Its just not a game with high engagement while its on. Its background noise to have on during the work day but this has always been the case here. Even t20 I doubt has much in the way of fans watching every ball.

The ECB is just desperate for a fix that can make them money because the actual fix (ensuring as much of the population can watch elite cricket as possible) would cost them money

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The entire appeal of Test cricket is that it's a weird old creaky dinosaur from the Victorian era. If they want to turn The Hundred into blernsball that's fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds more like branding wank than anything else.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I unironically think that postproduction anime style highlights is a legitimately great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Fgp1tBdSE

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Test cricket is still popular in England, too.
The ECB is just run by idiots. The larger the disconnect between the ONE HUNDRED and any other form of the game, the less likely it is anyone will use the ONE HUNDRED as a gateway to other forms of the game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Seams posted:

The entire appeal of Test cricket is that it's a weird old creaky dinosaur from the Victorian era. If they want to turn The Hundred into blernsball that's fine.
I was always a bit puzzled by the introduction of the World Test Championship under the idea that "Test Cricket needs context".

Test Cricket is the context.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Previous to the World Test Championship, I liked the idea that to be crowned "best Test team in the world" took years and years, and required beating everybody else everywhere else consistently. And even then, you were allowed the odd blind spot, or bad series.

The Australian team of the 90s took years to establish their dominance, (and by gently caress were they dominant), and even then still were terrible in the subcontinent. The world beating WI team of the 70s and 80s lost a World Cup to India, but that didn't make them any less the best team in the world.

Whoever wins out of India and NZ will have a nice trophy, and will be a nice trivia answer. But I still like the idea that to be the best in the world takes years of dominance, and basically a power generation. India might be able to do that, and their series win in Australia was a nice start, but in my worthless old man opinion it is too soon to tell.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
India winning in England would be a big step forward to claiming the proper best side in the world tag. Much like Australia, England aren't a brilliant team at the moment but they have a very good bowling attack in home conditions. Considering India were hammered 4-1 last time they toured there (three of England's wins were thrashings too), a series win would be huge.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I don't think those sorts of teams will ever exist again. Nor should they really.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mister Chief posted:

I don't think those sorts of teams will ever exist again. Nor should they really.
There's a certain "damned if you do, damned if you don't": it seems like cricket's two natural states are either one side dominating the world stage and it getting "boring", or everyone winning at home and it getting "boring".

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

They may as well rename bowling to pitching too, pitches and outs.

Good thing we already have innings.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm looking forward to the 99.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Scylo posted:

That's some real dumb corporate wankery. The more I hear about the hundred the worse it gets. The only enjoyment I'll ever get out of it is if it crashes and burns.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Noxin of Shame posted:

I unironically think that postproduction anime style highlights is a legitimately great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Fgp1tBdSE

The IPL coverage has decided to go more Hollywood in their animation style. They remain unsure if the caricatures are offensive or not.

anyway 3/4 IPL games have been good so far. Most are just big hitters smashing the ball but there has been some occasional good bowling too. It's crazy how different it is from other formats (even T20 international, not in rules of course, but in terms of the feel and how it's approached by the players) and so seeing guys I recognize change their game so drastically is interesting as well.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 13, 2021

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Flayer posted:

That's some real dumb corporate wankery. The more I hear about the hundred the worse it gets. The only enjoyment I'll ever get out of it is if it crashes and burns.

i heartily enjoyed the 2020 inaugural season

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I know I poo poo all over T20 cricket at every opportunity, but just watching the highlights of the 3rd SA/Pak game it's like, what's the point of there being bowlers?
The pitch couldn't have been any flatter, and basically every batter was just clearing the front foot and either mowing to Cow Corner, or slog-sweeping.

Just get a couple of mobile bowling machines and dispense with the pretense that there's some sort of contest between bat and ball.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

kingturnip posted:

I know I poo poo all over T20 cricket at every opportunity, but just watching the highlights of the 3rd SA/Pak game it's like, what's the point of there being bowlers?
The pitch couldn't have been any flatter, and basically every batter was just clearing the front foot and either mowing to Cow Corner, or slog-sweeping.

Just get a couple of mobile bowling machines and dispense with the pretense that there's some sort of contest between bat and ball.

I like bowling. Its one of the reasons I like cricket in the first place.

Obviously ODI cricket ushered in the medium pace plodder and the ""spin"" bowler who aren't threatening at all but can keep it tight (so they are boring to watch) but t20 has taken this to the extreme. Some of the bowlers and lines being bowled in t20 are so tedious i don't actually understand how its supposed to be entertaining. I guess people really like dingers being hit.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
In red ball cricket both sides are trying to make something happen - bowlers are trying to take wickets, batsman are trying to score runs.

In white ball, and especially T20, only the batting side is trying to make something happen by scoring runs. The bowling side are trying to make something not happen.

It's inherently less dynamic and interesting.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The best bowler in T20 would be someones grandma bowling underarm for 4 overs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Trevor Chappell the surprise pick for the next IPL.
Also https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...-bowlers-action

Varkk fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 15, 2021

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Darren Stevens is one of the Wisden cricketers of the year aged 44. County cricket owns

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's got a wicket already today. He is a machine.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the IPL games in Chennai thus far have been pretty low scoring and so the powerplay has featured some aggressive bowling. Guys like Siraj, Rashid Khan, Bhuvneshwar Kumara and a few others have been good to watch. That said, the second the powerplay ends it becomes all about damage control and so it's less dynamic.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Varkk posted:

Trevor Chappell the surprise pick for the next IPL.
Also https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...-bowlers-action

Ugh I read the comments, knowing they would be terrible, and they were. How do people not understand that roundarm has always been legal? W. C. Grace bowled roundarm. The only reason more bowlers don't is because you need to be really accurate.