Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

qirex posted:

$179 for an actually working piece of technology is not super expensive and I don't get why people think it is. The main reason anyone thinks so is their competitors are happy to sell them as loss leaders and recoup that money selling ads. The good Shield is $200 and I don't see people constantly crying about how "overpriced" it is.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Camera would be cool, could use your TV for zoom calls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Like I got a new 4K tv with HDR a few years ago and I bought 3 different roku devices and none of them would do HDR correctly. I bought the 4K Apple TV and it just worked exactly like it should. Besides that there were a few streaming apps that just didn’t work right on the roku and the consensus on the internet was just get an Apple TV.

The roku is cheap works for the most basic stuff and is littered with ads.

The $179 is worth it because the Apple TV overall is just easier to use and things just work.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22379470/apple-tv-homepod-speaker-camera-video-call-soundbar-rumor-bloomberg

“Apple is reportedly developing a new TV accessory that combines elements of its Apple TV with a HomePod speaker and camera for video call.”

Ironically, I could see some people needing this, but I def don’t really need a real speaker or anything, so if it’s anything more than “speaker so you can occasionally video chat,” I def wont need it.

I’m really curious as to what the price will be. The Apple TV is already the more expensive box, and we all know Apple tends to not go downward in price.

That does not mean I wouldn’t get it and then only use the base tv features though. I would likely just grumble a bit before getting it.

If this is what we're getting instead of just an upgraded ATV, then gently caress that. I already have a Sonos setup for my TV, why would I want another speaker? I really hope this isn't true, or is just a new product alongside a new ATV.

Also, I stuff my ATV behind everything. A camera would be pointless for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's also worth remembering it was easy to get a ATV 4K for $100 through promos like DirecTV for ages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If this is what we're getting instead of just an upgraded ATV, then gently caress that. I already have a Sonos setup for my TV, why would I want another speaker? I really hope this isn't true, or is just a new product alongside a new ATV.

Also, I stuff my ATV behind everything. A camera would be pointless for me.

I would be very, very, very surprised if this thing is the only ATV thing available.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I would be very, very, very surprised if this thing is the only ATV thing available.

Yeah same. The atv is a pretty popular product that is probably super cheap to make and doesn’t require a ton of attention from Apple, I don’t see why they’d axe it from the lineup.

They have an entire dedicated TVOS, I doubt they’re gonna put all their eggs into one basket that could be a flop.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is obviously the homepod replacement and won't affect the Apple TV.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Like I got a new 4K tv with HDR a few years ago and I bought 3 different roku devices and none of them would do HDR correctly. I bought the 4K Apple TV and it just worked exactly like it should. Besides that there were a few streaming apps that just didn’t work right on the roku and the consensus on the internet was just get an Apple TV.

The roku is cheap works for the most basic stuff and is littered with ads.

The $179 is worth it because the Apple TV overall is just easier to use and things just work.

I’m fine with $150-200, I’m just saying if they add a camera and speaker I could see them putting it to $300+, which would be crazy.

Now if it’s anything like this:

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is obviously the homepod replacement and won't affect the Apple TV.

Or like others are sayin, multiple options, then that’s probably fine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think if you just want to use it as a streaming box, Apple will happily continue to sell you a ATV 4K for a while longer. It's not like that's lacking power for what it's meant to do (hence all the rumours about the 6th gen TV being more focused on Arcade where it would need more power).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
A camera could be neat, although it would have to be some sort of movable attachment to work with my setup. I've run into a few use cases where I wanted to put a facetime/zoom call on the TV, before realizing "duh, right, no camera." Then my arm gets tired while I hold the phone in front of my face for an hour like a dork.

I mean if the market was ever ready to embrace a full-time TV camera without paranoia over privacy concerns being the main story, it would be now. If you can't mass-market this thing in 2021 then it's probably gonna be a weird niche forever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apple event on 4/20. Let's go new ATV!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If that happens I’m buying two.

Right along with a four pack of new HomePodMaxPros

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I’m excited too. Worst case , if Apple includes a speaker , we just Airplay it to our respective Sonos systems anyway right ? (Pretty sure you are the other Sonos user here).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m excited too. Worst case , if Apple includes a speaker , we just Airplay it to our respective Sonos systems anyway right ? (Pretty sure you are the other Sonos user here).

I have a few sonos too and drat I just hate having to use their app so much, but thankfully I can airplay to most.

The 5 sounds drat good though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's on 4/20 so it's gonna be the Apple Bong and you're all gonna be pissed. It will cost $400 but it's self cleaning and has Siri.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I have a few sonos too and drat I just hate having to use their app so much, but thankfully I can airplay to most.

The 5 sounds drat good though.

The app lags sometimes but otherwise doesn’t bother me. Airplay is def useful but I don’t use it that much, the app is fine for me.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else had trouble with the Apple TV’s Music app lately? If I try to play an album, even if the track list for the album is correct, it will seemingly merge tracks from alternate versions of that album if they exist.

For instance lots of rap albums will have duplicate censored and uncensored tracks play back-to-back.

It’s driving me crazy, but I can’t be the only one, right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've had issues with it defaulting to clean stuff but never mixing the two.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I just connect my Sonos Beam (and subsequently my One SLs and Sub) to my TV via ARC HDMI. It works spectacularly. I don't mess with AirPlay at all due to the lag I see people talk about. Plus, the ARC seems to "just work," surprisingly, unlike CEC :)

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 14, 2021

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Has anyone else had trouble with the Apple TV’s Music app lately? If I try to play an album, even if the track list for the album is correct, it will seemingly merge tracks from alternate versions of that album if they exist.

For instance lots of rap albums will have duplicate censored and uncensored tracks play back-to-back.

It’s driving me crazy, but I can’t be the only one, right?
I don't use Apple Music, but I've noticed that if I use "Computers" to play shared music over the network it can have some strange behavior. Like if I try to play a specific genre, it only groups by albums rather than individual tracks. So for example if I play "Holiday" music, it would include the entire Tony Bennet greatest hits album just because I have "My Favorite Things" tagged as Holiday.

So not quite the same thing, but it wouldn't suprise me if native TV apps just have weird ways of parsing metadata sometimes.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

So not quite the same thing, but it wouldn't suprise me if native TV apps just have weird ways of parsing metadata sometimes.

Yeah, it almost has to be some mistake in how they’re building the list of tracks when you press the ‘play’ button. It’s just infuriating because the album will display properly, but hitting play doesn’t just use that list, or the underlying search/filter that built it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1383488755630153731

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New 4K and remote looks great, definitely time to upgrade from my HD!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Hell yeah, same here.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had hoped the new remote would be less slippery. Guess I won’t know until I have one.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Going to buy one but bummed on Apple using the outdated chipset.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

priznat posted:

Same! I'm happy I'll be able to dump my physical Steam Link and use the app now. There was just too much latency to make it work with the HD. And well, this will push me to finally get a 4k TV too lol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

Going to buy one but bummed on Apple using the outdated chipset.

Also same.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The A12 is still pretty decent, it's in my iphone XS and I've had no urge to upgrade yet. For $179 I'm not gonna beef too much.

It'll play spire blast well on my tv finally! :haw:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the A12 is still a massive upgrade over the A8, I will probably upgrade my HD to this especially with the click wheel being revived for the new remote.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
i'm glad the remote is bigger and thicker

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It’s okay now. The older the hardware at release the sooner it’s not okay.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Very happy for this update, I'm getting my first 4K TV in a couple weeks and want to actually see it.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Everything they announced today had tons of colors EXCEPT the Apple TV remote. The new remote looks awful, but with a different color scheme I think it could be alright.

I like the aluminum edges though. That's been the standout design feature of the iPhone 12 Pros. The shine looks great on the flat surface

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

jabro posted:

It’s okay now. The older the hardware at release the sooner it’s not okay.
It serves a video stream to your TV.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

I think some people were hoping it would be part of a larger push along with Apple Arcade for better games

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

American McGay posted:

And 4K video, which is now such a solved problem that even a base model Raspberry Pi can do it. I get the disappointment over the games focus but the A12 is still going to be perfectly fine given that the A6 in the HD is still at least capable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They were never gonna give the ATV an A14/M1 anyway, the A12 will be great for bideo and gaming in general

Will likely sell my current 4K and get a new ATV and monitor to match..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's the other thing, for all my eagerness to get the new 4K I need to remember I'm still using a 720p TV and should probably upgrade that first.