Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
pretty sure you don't mean you've been using a Propel as a gravel bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m going to assume Revolt but the idea of bombing down gravel on a Propel sounds really fun as long as it wasn’t MY Propel.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Everyone should have to experience sketchy gravel on rim braked road bikes with 25mm tires to properly appreciate modern gravel bikes. Off road road biking is/was really fun but it you're always on the edge of something going really wrong. I don't miss the flats though. One of my last gravel rides in Georgia, I remember we ended up on a gravel road with some chunky stuff and the guy I was riding with had 3 flats in the span of 5 miles, all from pinch flats.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m going to assume Revolt but the idea of bombing down gravel on a Propel sounds really fun as long as it wasn’t MY Propel.

Yes, Revolt 0. I also have a Propel and continuously have to look at the name printed on the frame to remind me which is which. I am smart that way.

That said, the Propel has taken me up and down Blackstar Canyon in the OC a few times. Good fun.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Apparently the Hincapie Fondo in Boise had gravel sections but they told everyone "it's fine on 25's!"
Having ridden some of that on a gravel bike...eh, it's not crazy but I think it'd feel sketch trying to "race" it on a road bike on 25's over loose dirt and washboards. There was also a downhill part as well I think, I know some people weren't terribly pleased

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
gravel hills on my 28c slicks (a navigational mishap) were loving miserable a few years ago.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did some WV back roads that suddenly turned to gravel on a rim braked 25c road bike, you just gotta go fast to smooth it out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Only about 15 miles of gravel on the route today, but it's still gravel

Development
Jun 2, 2016

iospace posted:

still rad. but I secretly hope that route was littered with dork disks LIKE THE ONE YOU MAILED ME :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Development posted:

still rad. but I secretly hope that route was littered with dork disks LIKE THE ONE YOU MAILED ME :argh:

I totally forgot I did that and I'll loving do it again if given the chance.

E: later on, there was a kid running up the trail, looking at the ground, and smack dab in the middle of it. I yelled "look out" and he looked like he wanted to cry because the big mean biker didn't want to run him over.

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 8, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

iospace posted:

Chicagoland? I swear I've ridden this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

charliebravo77 posted:

Chicagoland? I swear I've ridden this.

Eh, close enough, Seven Rivers in Racine County, WI

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

iospace posted:

Eh, close enough, Seven Rivers in Racine County, WI

Looks almost identical to stretches of the Illinois Prairie Path and similar trails around here. I need to get up to WI to ride more, at least you actually have hills that aren't highway overpasses.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

charliebravo77 posted:

Looks almost identical to stretches of the Illinois Prairie Path and similar trails around here. I need to get up to WI to ride more, at least you actually have hills that aren't highway overpasses.

WI 120 between Spring Prairie and East Troy is pretty hilly. I hit 37 mph today on it, but it's paved and straight (thank the gods for that though).

Sadly most of the gravel around Milwaukee is pretty much rail trail, so they're pretty flat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Our TT series goes up a dirt road. First week it rained and snowed on the freshly graded road turning it from loose to mud. I used my cx bike and 38s. But that rain helped it get packed down into really nice dirt

week 1

https://montanacyclocross.com/mercx-tt-challenge-week-1-recap/?fbclid=IwAR0etKC2kMqDOPtHDbf9HimNnnQz0srkiSUEg58a4MHUECK_OemTOh6EQ7g

week 2

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone here ride Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres?

I am currently using WTB Horizons and while they are very fast and supple, sometimes I wish I had more grip. I used to run WTB Byways on my previous bike but I dont really know if I could tell a noticeable difference in grip between them. Maybe I should give them another go? Mostly because I've been riding a lot more gravel these past 2 years and I am now better at it than before.

I'd say my use is 50/50 tarmac/gravel in dry conditions 90% of the time. From what I've read I think the Vittorias will be a good match but I am open for suggestions.

All of the above in 650bx47.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 8, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I run 33s for terreno dry. I really like them for my usage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I wanted to try some but the 38s come out to like 41-42 and that's pushing it in my cx bike. Went with 38 ramblers, they seem fine. (And measure like 37 on an 18mm internal width wheel)

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 9, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

jamal posted:

I wanted to try some but the 38s come out to like 41-42 and that's pushing it in my cx bike. Went with 38 ramblers, they seem fine.
That's a good point. They definitely run big. 35 Sammy Slick fit my bike a little easier than 33 Terreno Dry. I've never measured their actual size, but it's most certainly a chunk greater than the 33 on the sidewall.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love my SKs, and have them in the 38s (which really apparently are 40s)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Every Rene Herse I’ve seen measures smaller if you’re concerned on fitment.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Oh Gravel thread, i beseech you and ask you for some knowledge.

Specifically on Drop-bar gravel bikes VS Flat-Bar gravel bikes. I have a drop-bar road bike and a flat bar hybrid bike, after months of not riding so far i have enjoyed riding the flat bar more than the drop bar. Is there any functional difference between a flat bar and a drop bar? I mean other than parts difference and stuff. Also i know Salsa offers both drop bar and flat bar bikes.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Just personal preference really. More serious road/gravel bikes have drop bars because they allow for more aerodynamic positioning and more hand positions. But they are not for everyone, my wife couldn't get used to them and much prefers alt bars.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Functionally you get more hand positions available on a drop bar to use against soreness and fatigue, but it really ends up being preference which one an individual rider goes with.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thank you guys

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElMaligno posted:

Is there any functional difference between a flat bar and a drop bar? I mean other than parts difference and stuff.

If you're packing stuff, you can hang wider handlebar bags off of a flatbar. Without some additional accessories, you probably won't be able to get as low (when facing a 30mph headwind) on normal flat bars on a frame size that fits you, but not a dealbreaker.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a decent entry to mid-level women's gravel bike? Budget is around $1500.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 10, 2021

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Partial Octopus posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent entry to mid-level women's gravel bike? Budget is around $1500.

there are very few “women’s” labelled production gravel bikes (because this term sucks. all bikes are unisex), and those that are usually are just a different paint scheme than their “men’s” equivalent. However, not all production gravel bike models offer smaller sizes and sloping top tubes.

What are the measurements of your/your partner’s current bike? Do you/they like the feel better of flat bar or drop bars? Do you think that it'd be used for multi day bike packing trips?

Development fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 11, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Partial Octopus posted:

Do you bike now? What kind do you have and what do you enjoy? Are you looking for a specific frame material? Are you looking to tour, go fast, camp, or cruise down the gravel road for a leisurely spin?

Are you looking for something modern?

You can find fun stuff listed second hand that can check the right boxes and leave your budget some funds for other stuff (lights, storage, helmet, etc).

There's a few of us on here that spend too much time on craigslist looking at bikes. I'm sure you can recruit some goons to look around your state for a gem.

Warning: covid reminded people outdoors exists so stores are loving empty and things are harder to find but not impossible.

Oh! And what's your size frame or height of you're not sure?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I should have added more info. I'm shopping for a bike for my partner. She's 5'6 with a 31.5" inseam. I'd like to start bringing her with me on long dirt path rides as well as some easy singletrack and maybe some road rides too. Maybe eventually do some gravel grinders once she gets more into it. She's pretty fit so we would definitely be doing long-ish rides. I'd like to get her something with a 1x drivetrain too.

Also I did not know about women's bikes being virtually the same. I figured they all had shorter reach and a higher stack. I had originally planned on getting her a Canyon Grail AL but they're basically all sold out.

I've been searching for uses bikes lately but I haven't found much.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My Poseidon redwood hits those marks. It's direct to consumer. Size small might be perfect.

That's the only new bike I can think of that was immediately available. It has its quirks but I'm really enjoying it.

There's some neat jamis bikes out there too.

https://bikerumor.com/2015/01/13/review-jamis-renegade-adventure-gravel-bike-lets-you-go-rogue-from-the-roads/

Nicer than the Redwood. Better components, not sure about availability. Also has a 2x drivetrain if that's a deal breaker.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
New bike acquired.
Have yet to bring to a gravel trail yet. Don't have any biking clothes that still fit me since last year lol.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My Poseidon redwood hits those marks. It's direct to consumer. Size small might be perfect.

That's the only new bike I can think of that was immediately available. It has its quirks but I'm really enjoying it.

There's some neat jamis bikes out there too.

https://bikerumor.com/2015/01/13/review-jamis-renegade-adventure-gravel-bike-lets-you-go-rogue-from-the-roads/

Nicer than the Redwood. Better components, not sure about availability. Also has a 2x drivetrain if that's a deal breaker.

How's the groupset on the poseidon? I'm not familiar with that brand.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
lil gravel friend from this morning

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Partial Octopus posted:

How's the groupset on the poseidon? I'm not familiar with that brand.

Different from the shimano and sram components I've used in the past. Has very positive feedback on shifting, the brifters are comfortable.

I haven't had it long enough to say it's durable but I've been putting it through hell and it's not really done anything odd yet.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I did some gravel on Catalina Island this weekend. I'll post some pics later, but I had to get this out of my system first.

All of the campers that hiked to the interior of the island are loving assholes. Every single one of them, I slowed, gave plenty of room, waved, said good morning. They just looked at me with hate in their eyes. I don't know if it was because I got to the campground in 90 minutes from the trailhead, when it takes most of them 2 days, or if they think bikes in general are awful. But, man, what an unpleasant bunch of fuckers. The route was double wide fire road, plenty of room for everyone. I don't get it.

That said, I liked the area north of Avalon best. The loop to the south was OK, but mainly one big climb. Going back for sure.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I test road a Jamis Renegade S3 and Jesus loving christ on a cracker what a loving difference from my bargain bin hybrid and hands-me down road bike. Its a drop bike, but It seems that the ergonomics of that bike agree with me more.

I sadly didnt buy it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I did some gravel on Catalina Island this weekend. I'll post some pics later, but I had to get this out of my system first.

All of the campers that hiked to the interior of the island are loving assholes. Every single one of them, I slowed, gave plenty of room, waved, said good morning. They just looked at me with hate in their eyes. I don't know if it was because I got to the campground in 90 minutes from the trailhead, when it takes most of them 2 days, or if they think bikes in general are awful. But, man, what an unpleasant bunch of fuckers. The route was double wide fire road, plenty of room for everyone. I don't get it.

That said, I liked the area north of Avalon best. The loop to the south was OK, but mainly one big climb. Going back for sure.

is it possible they don't know bikes are allowed?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ElMaligno posted:

I test road a Jamis Renegade S3 and Jesus loving christ on a cracker what a loving difference from my bargain bin hybrid and hands-me down road bike. Its a drop bike, but It seems that the ergonomics of that bike agree with me more.

I sadly didnt buy it.

Yet.

:henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I have a Jamis Renegade Escapade and it’s been very good to me.

I got my wife a Kona Rove DL, around $1600 iirc, and she likes it for road and gravel.