Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive had pretty good luck with some of the pants at Duluth Trading Company. I picked up some nylon/spandex cargo pants last year, and they're great. A bit warmer than I'd like for full blast summer heat, but any other time they do well.

I just got a pair of those last week. I really like 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have two modes of operation: sitting still and not sweating, or hiking a trail and dripping water constantly. Dressing for summer heat is pretty irrelevant.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oddly, I'm also in the market for a pair of synthetic joggers for wearing around the house when I'm working. I have sweatpants but I just dont feel comfortable leaving the house in them. I have hiking pants etc but I just want something a little more casual. Lululemon are the gold standard but they're stupid expensive for what they are.

I too looked at REI and didn't find much.

Last year I bought some Patagonia shorts that have three zippered pockets and an internal liner (like exoficio boxer briefs) and they're my favorite shorts ever. Above the knee. Not super baggy. Zippered pockets. I wear them all the time but they're also like $60. I ended up finding some shorts that were similar at Target for much less. Remembering that, I went to target to look at joggers and I'll be damned they had a pair of technical joggers with zip pockets for $30, just not in my size so I ordered some and I'll see how they fit when they arrive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

That's why I keep using my marmot scree pants. My prana ones are more comfy and better designed overall but zipper pockets own on a hike.

Oh hey these Marmots look pretty nice actually. They don't look all floppy ankle like every other hiking pant in the world.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Verman posted:

Oddly, I'm also in the market for a pair of synthetic joggers for wearing around the house when I'm working. I have sweatpants but I just dont feel comfortable leaving the house in them. I have hiking pants etc but I just want something a little more casual. Lululemon are the gold standard but they're stupid expensive for what they are.

I too looked at REI and didn't find much.

Last year I bought some Patagonia shorts that have three zippered pockets and an internal liner (like exoficio boxer briefs) and they're my favorite shorts ever. Above the knee. Not super baggy. Zippered pockets. I wear them all the time but they're also like $60. I ended up finding some shorts that were similar at Target for much less. Remembering that, I went to target to look at joggers and I'll be damned they had a pair of technical joggers with zip pockets for $30, just not in my size so I ordered some and I'll see how they fit when they arrive.

I have the same patagonia shorts- the nine trails 8”- and I looooove them. Easily my favorite short ever, because I like hiking with only the liner. They are, however, too drat expensive!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Not sure what the US selections are like but Decathlon often do good functional sports clothing. I know my go to activity shorts are a set of decathlon sailing ones that were like £20. Just nicely stretchy, super lightweight and enough pockets (zippered ones at that). They also don't look ridiculous, which is nice. In the UK or France I'd say they've got a really solid selection, very well priced so probably worth looking through. If they've got the same website though be warned that it can be difficult seeing the full range of stuff since some things seem to only get listed under specific activities e.g. a pair of shorts will be in the 'sailing shorts' category but won't show up in their global 'shorts' category, so it can be worth drilling down if you like climbing style trousers or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Went to a new hiking trail for the first time in too long. They don't allow dogs so I've been avoiding it, but finally said to heck with it and went.

Anyone know what kinda mushroom this is?? I've never seen anything like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Old growth forest east of the Mississippi? Well I'm definitely noting that on my list of places to visit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That general region is known as Zoar Valley, in Western New York. Pretty cool place, pretty easy trails. Lots of small waterfalls, plus the main gorge that is walkable for various distances depending on how high the water is flowing. At least one or two people somehow die there annually though. Maybe not that frequent, but in the 8 years I've been here I've seen a handful of headlines.

It was pretty but I can't imagine adding it to any sort of list for someone outside of the area :shrug: Pretty nice for only an hour drive for me. If you found yourself in the region for whatever it's worth while though.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Sab669 posted:

:toot: Went to a new hiking trail for the first time in too long. They don't allow dogs so I've been avoiding it, but finally said to heck with it and went.

I read it as “Deer Tick Conservation Area” and instinctively recoiled.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Alamoduh posted:

:same:

Deer ticks are terrible in Wisconsin. Yikes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sab669 posted:

It was pretty but I can't imagine adding it to any sort of list for someone outside of the area :shrug: Pretty nice for only an hour drive for me. If you found yourself in the region for whatever it's worth while though.

I get it, just because it's old growth it doesn't make it postcard beautiful but surviving fragments are so rare they're worth noting. I'm not gonna go on a cross country trip to visit but if I'm ever in the area and want to get outdoors, being an unmined forest is a huge plus. They tend to have more character to them than first growth areas and for a dumb camera lugging nerd that's valuable.

The photos in google maps suggest it's at least a pleasant enough afternoon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alamoduh posted:

:barf:

xzzy posted:

I get it, just because it's old growth it doesn't make it postcard beautiful but surviving fragments are so rare they're worth noting. I'm not gonna go on a cross country trip to visit but if I'm ever in the area and want to get outdoors, being an unmined forest is a huge plus. They tend to have more character to them than first growth areas and for a dumb camera lugging nerd that's valuable.

The photos in google maps suggest it's at least a pleasant enough afternoon.

Fair enough! Yea it was a very pleasant day hike. Very well marked trails too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Not sure what the US selections are like but Decathlon often do good functional sports clothing. I know my go to activity shorts are a set of decathlon sailing ones that were like £20. Just nicely stretchy, super lightweight and enough pockets (zippered ones at that). They also don't look ridiculous, which is nice. In the UK or France I'd say they've got a really solid selection, very well priced so probably worth looking through. If they've got the same website though be warned that it can be difficult seeing the full range of stuff since some things seem to only get listed under specific activities e.g. a pair of shorts will be in the 'sailing shorts' category but won't show up in their global 'shorts' category, so it can be worth drilling down if you like climbing style trousers or whatever.

Seconded, their stuff is good enough quality at incredible prices, and is often more practical and better looking than expensive branded items, just because they keep things simple.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Montane Terra are benchmark hiking pants and have great pockets. They last forever as well.

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/terra-pants-p401

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i just want to live in the woods

gently caress off

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Start my AT through hike tomorrow. See you in a few months!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alamoduh posted:

Good luck! Hope you have better weather than I did. All the major “sights” were socked in with rain when I hit them. Boo

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Alamoduh posted:

gently caress yeah! Don't die!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alamoduh posted:

drat, good luck! I was just on Blood Mountain and talked to a few through hikers. Interesting people. I'd do it in another life.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Alamoduh posted:

Have fun!

My through hike attempt on the PCT is still the greatest singular experience of my life. Planning to go back and do a full though someday (in a few years?).

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Alamoduh posted:

Happy trails

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I was looking up Rainier guide services and my god they are all fully booked like a year out. Is that typical?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ROFLburger posted:

I was looking up Rainier guide services and my god they are all fully booked like a year out. Is that typical?

It is normal, but they'll have a bunch of cancellations over the course of the year. You could call up one of the services and ask about getting on a waitlist, or just check their websites once or twice a week and see. If you're flexible with dates and are willing to hop on an opening as soon as it happens, you have a very good chance of getting on one. I climbed Rainier for the first time with a guide service and that's what I did.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to do my first solo overnight hike. I have all the gear and have done many trips throughout my life with others. However, they've been the organizers for every trip. I live just outside of Boston. I'm looking for a short hike, that has spots to camp, that's somewhat near Boston. Any suggestions? Also, what apps, websites, or books do yall use to find overnight hiking in the New England area?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t have any specific advice but AllTrails works well enough for my local trails

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I went on my first "backpacking" trip this weekend. I see the appeal of doing this now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mukulu posted:

I went on my first "backpacking" trip this weekend. I see the appeal of doing this now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

me, on a beautiful morning before a backpacking trip

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

From time to time when I'm walking down a steep hill or running, it'll feel like the 2nd and 3rd toes on my left foot are falling asleep. When the foot strikes, there's a tingly/pins-and-needles sensation, and they're a little bit numb otherwise. I never notice it in normal walking, and it seems to only happen at all in certain boots and running shoes, but always the same toes and the same foot. I saw a PT for a bit several years ago and mentioned it to him; he said he thought it was Morton's neuroma.

Whatever it is, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing and has recommendations? I suppose "lose 20 pounds" would be the standard advice... which is why I'm walking and running in the first place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess you're lacing that shoe a little tighter and as your foot presses into the shoe as you go downhill it restricts circulation so you get the needles. It's also possible that's your bigger foot and you're buying shoes sized for your other foot. It's super rare for both feet to be identical.

Beyond that it's gonna be something medical related and only a doctor is good for that.

Maybe try trekking poles to take some of the impact off that foot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would try to focus on lacing your shoes so your feet dont slip forward. You really want your heel locked in. Finding shoes with a good heel lock would be helpful, also going to a real shoe store (one that might specialize in running) where someone can look at your feet and arches and figure out what shoes will work the best for your feet.

When you say 2nd and 3rd toes, do you mean from the big toe or from the pinky? If from the big toe, do they extend past or equal to the big toe? Some people have this issue and finding shoes to accommodate your feet might help. I had my big toe fall asleep on a 100 mile ride when I was really into road cycling and it took months to get the feeling all the way back. That was likely due to ill fitting shoes/insoles.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think you guys are probably on the money with the shoe fit thing... it doesn't really happen with my proper hiking boots, but if I've wearing my Blundstones around the steep steep hills of SF, those toes are tingling. With tennis shoes, it seems to vary based on the particular shoe, so either some just fit poorly or I was lacing them badly. Thanks!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of footware, doing some preliminary research and if I were to just do the very first part of the Florida Trail, which involves mostly trudging around in up possible knee deep water but most likely shin deep water, wont really matter what wrapped around my foot, so just grab whatever can try quickest?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know they're super comfy for wading but I'm not sure about long hikes, but maybe neoprene socks are worth a look for something like that.

Maybe maintaining warmth isn't an issue in florida though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

my instinct says trail runners, but also the Leech Terror says maybe gaiters?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Drywall stilts

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
As a paddler I'm very familiar with wading. In warm climates just get something that drains well and is quick drying. If it's cold enough that you can't just be wet comfortably (or safely!), proper dry pants are a necessity. Somehow I don't see that being an issue in FL though!

Bring light weight camp shoes and a pair of wool socks. Keep them dry at all costs. You'll feel heavenly when you slip those on at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
When I hike here in FL I just wear the Merrell version of Teva sandals. In the colder months I bring wool socks (and typically only wear them at night). Even trail runners can take a full day to dry out when you're going through real water and that will ruin your feet.