Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Eminent Domain posted:

I always expect TIM to go "Shepard *drag from cigarette* your next recruit studied at Notre Dame". Too much role crossover fro. The Departed/etc., but he is fantastic.

I don’t wanna be a product of the Citadel, I want the Citadel to be a product of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I remember an interview where he was asked to describe TIM and he replied something like "oh, he's vile!" with a big, gleeful smile on his face.

i mean he is right. TIM is basically Fascist Bartlet. hiding lovely policy and ideas behind honeyed words and copious amounts of bullshiting and grandiosity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean he is right. TIM is basically Fascist Bartlet. hiding lovely policy and ideas behind honeyed words and copious amounts of bullshiting and grandiosity.

West Wing is arguably the most harmful piece of media in the past 30 years

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scene where TIM explains the concept of a shibboleth to a very confused Shepard.

Pattonesque posted:

Only if you're Extremely Online.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pattonesque posted:

Lol there were at least 5 years where it was nominated for Best Drama at the Emmys where it wasn't even the most harmful piece of media in the category.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Normal people: West Wing? Oh that show with Martin Sheen from like 15 years ago, I remember enjoying it.
Goons: smh fgucking SHITLIBS are obsessed with west wing, see how this physical movement from warren is an exact copy of what barlet does in episode 4 of season 3 at the 12 minute 54 second mark

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pattonesque posted:

cspam brain

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TIM tells Shepard about his son who was in Mighty Ducks and is very proud of.

He pointedly forgets to mention his other son who he's...not very proud of.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is „bartlet” a new term for small bart?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lotta west wing fans ITT!

TIM's shadow broker dossier is v. funny because he's supposed to be this extraordinarily mysterious and unreachable character and the dossier is like "he smoked this many cigs today and slept with these women." Cerberus infosec is much like the rest of Cerberus I guess!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

TIM's shadow broker dossier is v. funny because he's supposed to be this extraordinarily mysterious and unreachable character and the dossier is like "he smoked this many cigs today and slept with these women." Cerberus infosec is much like the rest of Cerberus I guess!

I wasn’t aware people going “lol who gives a poo poo about the west wing” = fans :v:

Guess I’m a fan of a lot of stuff then.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The game has gone gold, and the thread has gone brown

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Psycho Landlord posted:

And long ago somebody left with the cup

but he's driving, and striving, and hugging the curves, and thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

And long ago somebody left with the cup

but he's driving, and striving, and hugging the curves, and thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

:hmmyes:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

hence the way i phrased my comment. nothing i said defended the show.

Funky Valentine posted:

Normal people: West Wing? Oh that show with Martin Sheen from like 15 years ago, I remember enjoying it.
Goons: smh fgucking SHITLIBS are obsessed with west wing, see how this physical movement from warren is an exact copy of what barlet does in episode 4 of season 3 at the 12 minute 54 second mark

also this.
show sucks and while i think it rotted a bunch of high up dem brains through the 2000s. that seems to be lessened alot thanks to trump and etc breaking brains toward the left more in better ways. anyway. my point is TIM is a good villian because he knows how to bullshit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

I think it's just that the Shadow Broker probably considers TIM and Cerberus to be his biggest competitor/threat, given how often they clash - also, probably salty about losing Shepard's body to them.

So I imagine he puts a metric fuckload of effort into making sure he has absolutely EVERYTHING on what TIM is doing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hence the way i phrased my comment. nothing i said defended the show.

oh yeah I didn't mean to imply otherwise!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

oh yeah I didn't mean to imply otherwise!

it fine.

Psycho Landlord posted:

knowing our luck, game is gonna be a horrible broken mess.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

knowing our luck, game is gonna be a horrible broken mess.

Luck's got nothing to do with it, this is guaranteed lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can’t wait for the remaster to go on sale for $20 or less.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pattonesque posted:

isn't it kind of implying that TIM's got the upperhand here? like instead of anything actually useful or relevant, it's just a bunch of self-aggrandizing chuff

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

isn't it kind of implying that TIM's got the upperhand here? like instead of anything actually useful or relevant, it's just a bunch of self-aggrandizing chuff

I hadn't considered that reading! I just figured it'd be nothing 'cause he has so many layers in between himself and any potential spies but then again: Cerberus

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It is worth noting Cerberus use Shepard to take down the Shadow Broker, then destroy the ship between games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

show sucks and while i think it rotted a bunch of high up dem brains through the 2000s. that seems to be lessened alot thanks to trump and etc breaking brains toward the left more in better ways. anyway. my point is TIM is a good villian because he knows how to bullshit.

My Andromeda-brain take:

TIM had a very good point/argument in ME3 but due to TIM being obviously indoctrinated you reject it out of hand.

Had they not made it so obvious I'm curious how it could've gone.

edit: The remake trilogy is also the game I'm most excited for in this entire year. No idea how I'm going to replay it though, I can't even remember the ME1 gameplay all that well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

I hadn't considered that reading! I just figured it'd be nothing 'cause he has so many layers in between himself and any potential spies but then again: Cerberus

yeah. i think what sucks is cerberus is an interesting idea but it's never really "fleshed out" because its basicaly just COBRA meets space Nazi experiments with some dude who knows how to do PR and bullshit well at the top, he is the calm collected fascist who knows how to make his horrible poo poo sound better by co-opting messages and using people.

my issue is you never really see the mask get ripped off because the reapers get him first. you never have this moment where all the faux higher idiology is tossed aside and you see him as some angry shitfuck bigot with money. you never have that post Charlottesville Richard spencer moment.

axeil posted:

My Andromeda-brain take:

TIM had a very good point/argument in ME3 but due to TIM being obviously indoctrinated you reject it out of hand.

Had they not made it so obvious I'm curious how it could've gone.

i feel like control ending was added at the last second to give TIM an out sorta.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think what sucks is cerberus is an interesting idea but it's never really "fleshed out" because its basicaly just COBRA meets space Nazi experiments with some dude who knows how to do PR and bullshit well at the top, he is the calm collected fascist who knows how to make his horrible poo poo sound better by co-opting messages and using people.

my issue is you never really see the mask get ripped off because the reapers get him first. you never have this moment where all the faux higher idiology is tossed aside and you see him as some angry shitfuck bigot with money. you never have that post Charlottesville Richard spencer moment.

Yeah this too. ME3 really screws it up with "welp he's indoctrinated now" which denies his own agency. I do love that you can have a dialog boss battle with him near the end of ME3 (and get him to off himself just like you can to Saren) but it feels hollow since it's not the real TIM you're debating but an indoctrinated version of him.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like control ending was added at the last second to give TIM an out sorta.

Well except Control is so obviously a horrible idea. You can see from Saren and TIM that you'll eventually get indoctrinated no matter how clever or powerful you are.

Honestly all of the endings suck which is sort of why I find them interesting.

Destroy: You literally just learned through ED-E and the Geth that synthetic and organic life can co-exist. This solves the Reaper problem but makes you the galaxy's greatest genocider.

Control: There's no guarantee Shepard doesn't end up indoctrinated or otherwise manipulated by mind-melding with the Reapers. At best you're kicking the can down the road

Merge: Imo the most appealing but it's a complete crapshoot if it'll even work and it's asking you to forcibly turn everyone into a cyborg against their will.

As a huge fan of the OG Deus Ex I appreciate how similar the choices between the two games are. Merge is Helios, Control is Illuminati and Destroy is Tong.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 12, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

If I remember right part of the Shadow Broker file on TIM even calls this out! Like something to the effect of "we are only seeing this because he wants us to see this, and that pisses us off."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Indoctrination is kind of a fiasco of a plot device.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

axeil posted:

Destroy: You literally just learned through ED-E and the Geth that synthetic and organic life can co-exist. This solves the Reaper problem but makes you the galaxy's greatest genocider.

I dunno I feel like that's still Mordin or Reapers at large, though I suppose the latters' personal genocide kinda nullifies the previous ones in a sorta who genocides the genocider way

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Indoctrination is kind of a fiasco of a plot device.

I'll give them this -- if they had the guts to release the conclusion of their epic space trilogy with a fake ending that had an in-universe explanation it sure would have been something!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It is worth noting Cerberus use Shepard to take down the Shadow Broker, then destroy the ship between games.

That's why Liara was like "I knew it was only a matter of time before TIM came for me after I basically showed him exactly where Shadow Broker HQ was, so I got everything I needed off the ship and then ran like hell before he blew it up."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

why doesn't Shepard-Catalyst just Control all the Reapers to fly into the sun

as an ending it's kinda compromised and vague. it's worse because it's TIM's preferred choice so not only do you get this limp excuse about how it wouldn't work for TIM (but it might for you), but also every time you see TIM you have the same conversation about how Shepard wants to destroy the Reapers, but TIM wants to control the Reapers, and if you destroy the Reapers you can't control the Reapers, but you can't control the Reapers so you have to destroy the Reapers

Cerberus needed a more specific plan with more tangible hooks than "technology: good or bad?" (proposal: TIM wants to jumpstart the Singularity for him and his .1% funders by liquefying refugees into a slave Reaper, wait out the current war then spend 50,000 years shaping the next cycle into an empire to kill Reapers next time around; Javik's plan but worse). some kind of plan that could be debated more rigorously, something more horrifying than a choice you theoretically expect a third of players to make themselves

you could try to tie the ending choices back into the central Paragon/Renegade conceit but ideals vs results sorta goes out the window when you're fighting an apocalyptic war of survival anyway. a solution would be to make Destroy the "renegade" choice and Reject the "paragon" one but guddamn that would have been even more unpopular with audiences

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Petition to have someone redub the entire Trilogy as Sterling Archer Shepard

"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do ya want it?"
"Uh... the leg? Somewhere non lethal."
"No I... drat it, I was doing a badass thing. It's a rhetorical question!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Simone Magus posted:

Petition to have someone redub the entire Trilogy as Sterling Archer Shepard

"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do ya want it?"
"Uh... the leg? Somewhere non lethal."
"No I... drat it, I was doing a badass thing. It's a rhetorical question!"

This is about the only alternative I'd accept to the existing options

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It wouldnt be exactly the same but you could probably just pay H jon benjamin to stream a playthrough.

E: drat, now I want Mordin overdubbed with Krieger.

Pam can be Grunt.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is about the only alternative I'd accept to the existing options

I always imagined a failshep run voiced by Billy West.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

"MIRANDAAAAAAAA!"

"WHAT!?"

"...danger zone~"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Let's all take the shuttle for this next m..."

"Oh JEEEZ Miranda, you want collectors? Because that's how you get collectors"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I'll allow it but only if Saren is now Barry. Indoctrinated Saren can be other Barry. :colbert: