Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

leper khan posted:

How do we revolt and switch back to plaintext web?

I feel like maybe we could try to use accessibility legislation to outlaw the graphical web. But it's not clear to me that would completely obliterate js even though it should.

I use retro computers a lot and I enjoy trying to do them modern things. It sucks how image/video based everything is in general. And how everything is now an app instead of a protocol.

The original idea of Twitter was fun because it was text based and small content. Now most of Twitter is text as screenshots and videos.

You could still do a lot of the things you do in life on a Commodore 64 over telnet if you just had good APIs or protocols and dropped images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

leper khan posted:

I feel like maybe we could try to use accessibility legislation to outlaw the graphical web. But it's not clear to me that would completely obliterate js even though it should.

here you go

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

lobsterminator posted:

You could still do a lot of the things you do in life on a Commodore 64 over telnet if you just had good APIs or protocols and dropped images.

biggest nail in the retrocomputing coffin is the shift to mandatory encryption for everything

can't port a half-a-million line crypto suite to your platform? go gently caress yourself

good thing that the crypto libraries are heavily audited by all their consumers and never turn out to have glaring bugs or we might be in trouble lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Probably more to do with the fact that all modern ciphers make heavy use of 32-bit ALU ops although TLS and X.509 being heaving garbage fires doesn't exactly help matters.

Gemini is nice but it has no provision for logging in to things. Because that would be "user tracking".

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
sounds like a great feature

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
gemini client certificates are how you would "log into" a service

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Internet Janitor posted:

gemini client certificates are how you would "log into" a service

As someone who's actually dealt with deploying and using client certificates for a globally distributed corporate workforce: lmao.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

leper khan posted:

Developer eXperience

which basically means time to market

mystes
May 31, 2006

wanderer2323 2 minutes ago [–]

PG is apropos for this forum, but beyond that he is plainly a good writer. I don't know who you consider 'amazing writers across our civilization' -- but whether it is Gracian or Scott Alexander, PG shares one thing with them, namely that his works will be quoted beyond the lifespan of his contemporary readers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my brain filled in wodehouse in that, which was a good move

mystes
May 31, 2006

Incidentally, that's a comment from the discussion on a blog post by paul graham where it seems like the real thesis he wants to assert is "it's a good thing that people are getting obscenely rich from tech startups because they deserve it" but he's afraid to admit that that's the whole reason he wrote this thing so he wastes a lot of space padding that assertion in discussion about the historical and current rates at which startups are being founded to obfuscate what the main point is.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2021

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
artificialLimbs 0 minutes ago | parent | favorite | on: RMS addresses the free software community

It is great that RMS is trying to explore his emotional capacity and relate to others!

Shocking in these comments how many people believe that people are not responsible for their own emotions. No one can "hurt another" emotionally. It is up to each person to take the mature (and logical) stance that "I am responsible for my emotions". If something someone does or says "hurts me" emotionally, it is because I have chosen to allow that emotion, or I have not sufficiently dealt with the circumstances that have caused it to arise such that I am unable to process it in a manner which does not put the responsibility for its arising on another.

I'm not saying that if someone shoots your mother you shouldn't feel angry or sad, but that the anger or sadness is not CAUSED by another. It arises solely within you. You can see that this is true because people react wholly differently dependent upon the individual. It is within human capability to positively act from a place of clarity rather than negatively react from emotion.

It seems clear from this short page that RMS understands this.

beep boop how can you possibly be offended just turn off your illogical emotions like any superior being :smugdroid:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That is technically true from a cognitive therapeutic perspective, but not really the best example

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
your mother is dead? agony is born of desire, man. that's what you get for wanting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How you think people on HN would try to defend RMS: "What RMS said wasn't actually that bad because..."

How people on HN actually try to defend RMS: "It's impossible to cause harm to someone simply by saying something, so it's totally okay to use the N word and tell your employees they need to perform sexual favors for you our you'll fire them. Wait what was my point? Oh yeah, therefore RMS logically did nothing wrong."

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

xtal posted:

That is technically true from a cognitive therapeutic perspective, but not really the best example

yeah

it’s a terrible example from that perspective, because in therapy you distinguish between healthy and unhealthy responses to prompts. getting angry at a shitlord saying racist things to you absolutely is a healthy response. so is getting angry at a shitlord trying to coopt concepts from mental health and philosophy to make their bad behavior into everyone else’s problem

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

leper khan posted:

this has been on my mind a lot recently, thinking we need a new protocol, and make new clients that just don’t have to do nearly as much and could be fast, no client side scripting, no movies, just some text and maybe simple pictures. no way to do invasive tracking above just like ip request logs, and holy poo poo

this is like exactly it from just glancing at it so far

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

kind of seems like someone read marcus aurelius and then said to themselves "welp, that's a complete philosophy that will give anyone in any time a perfect path to The Good Life, no need to read anything else, i wonder which fundamental question i should answer next"

or, more likely, they read some ceo's ghostwriter's summary of marcus aurelius on linkedin

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pardot posted:

this has been on my mind a lot recently, thinking we need a new protocol, and make new clients that just don’t have to do nearly as much and could be fast, no client side scripting, no movies, just some text and maybe simple pictures. no way to do invasive tracking above just like ip request logs, and holy poo poo
Even if you somehow banned javascript today, everything would probably just switch to something like liveview and they would still combine the data from each server to track your entire path across the internet.

There's also nothing stopping people from creating and visiting pages with no javascript and they just aren't.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
stoicism was invented by recently freed slaves to deal with them being nonentities in society and adopted by marcus aurelius to deal with the fact that emperors cant have any normal relations w anyone and that fact can p directly point to him loving up and bein the last of the five good emperors.

commodus wasnt as bad as in the movie but he was p bad and prolly the second great example of artists actors and poo poo bein poo poo at government, which has held from nero to donald trump

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

xtal posted:

I was literally talking about that with my therapist less than three hours ago, it felt uncanny to read it right here

(Although in my case he was trying to get me to accept that I can't hope to control _other people's_ emotions, which is a little bit different...)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stoicism is epicureanism for smug assholes.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 12, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

toyg 3 hours ago [–]

The emacs virgin thing is just what one would expect from a ‘60s/‘70s hippie. At the time, intelligent and activist women were busy attacking sexual taboos, largely defined by men, including virginity. Turning virginity into a joke (and with classical-lit undertones) is the type of thing “boomer women” would likely appreciate.
Alas, our modernity seems to be more prudish in these matters; so people react to this sort of thing very much like a pre-60s person; and RMS didn’t get the memo.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

a miserable pile of qsl cards

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its when the turbo button is on, op

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

this is cool! but I'm curious to see a git blame implementation.

quote:

You mean the most conflict driven and passive aggressive feature in any programming tooling?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lobsterminator posted:

amen

the only problem with that is really the crypto, and you can offboard that to a RPi or ESP or whatever; on anything slower than a Pentium, you should probably be using a TLS library that uses a separate channel controller to handle crypto, and interpose that between the retro system’s network and the rest

(Thomas Cherryholmes spammed the retro world about doing just that with his FujiNet thing on Atari 8-bit a few days ago)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pardot posted:

this has been on my mind a lot recently, thinking we need a new protocol, and make new clients that just don’t have to do nearly as much and could be fast,

my friend Rob put together the base layer for such a protocol in the late 1990s

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-earhart-ap-spec-01

it’s basically the non-application-specific parts of IMAP, ICAP, etc. polished a little bit and with saner defaults than IMAP (8-bit clean/UTF-8 by default, no need for IDLE as an extension)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

epicurus was basically buddhist

or the buddha was basically the first epicurean, take it whichever way you want

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
both philosophies designed for poor peeps w/o mechanisms to make sure they stayed for poor peeps so rich peeps took em

(the expropriations of the tang in the 800s carried out literal tons of silver and hundreds of pounds of gold out of the monasteries and freed tens of thousands of temple slaves)

on the other hand, christ put in poo poo to mack on the rich and that didnt help any so who knows

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

dlkf 1 minute ago [–]

In both the comments and in other discussions, I've seen a lot of trolley problem analogies. This is a spectacularly bad analogy.

In the trolley problem, the people on the tracks have no choice! With regards to vaccines, we can give people a choice. A competent government would respect people's agency. It would say "Hey folks, the virus kills 1/N and the vaccine kills 1/M, take your pick."

When people learn the M is several orders of magnitude greater than N, they will act accordingly.

me: ...so you see M >> N with a 95% CI, given our estimator is correct seeing as they're very different draws!

dude in maga hat and a "dont mask on me" shirt: beep...calculating....calculating...boop

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

"Once on the Brink of Eradication, Syphilis Is Raging Again (npr.org)"

quote:

You can yell about it, concoct vindictive policies to punish people whose behavior you don't like, dress up these policies by describing them in purportedly scientific economic terms like "subsidizing," "externality," "free rider," etc., but ultimately, this is a futile position to take. People are going to do what they want.

If the effect of peoples' real aggregate behavior creates a negative effect that you might suffer from in the future, e.g. breeding antibiotic resistant bacteria, then the more effective position is to STFU with all of the moralizing and support policies that actually work, even if you have to pony up a bit to pay for them. It's cheaper for you in the long run -- you're not just paying to support risky behavior, you're paying so that behavior that is going to happen anyway doesn't put you at risk in the future.

Your options are to be angry today and sick or dead tomorrow, or to let it go, support effective policies today, and get a better shot at a successful tomorrow. Yelling at people doesn't work.

hmm lets look at the replie- :stare:

quote:

You are suggesting something like how mafia works. STFU and pay for your protection or else.

quote:

I reject the thinking that "people are going to do what they want" and we are helpless to influence their behavior so we should just accept whatever they are doing no questions asked and work around it with public policy if it causes a problem. The reason I reject it is because I would argue "what people want to do" does not spontaneously arise in their minds, but rather is influenced by popular culture, marketing, and more.

Take alcohol for example. You might say "you can't prevent people from drinking, look at Prohibition, it was a complete failure, don't even try", and in a certain sense you are right. You can't prevent all people from drinking.

However, you can prevent many people from drinking (or at least, reduce the total amount of drinking to more moderate levels) by:

- Not glorifying alcohol via pop culture and movies (especially American binge drinking at age 21)

- Restrict/regulate alcohol advertisements and marketing to reduce the influence of "drinking = happiness" messaging

- etc.

Or, stated in other terms, you can exacerbate your country's alcohol-related issues by glorifying alcohol and enshrining it in popular culture.

In the same vein, maybe we wouldn't have as big of a problem if we didn't glorify casual sex encounters so much in our media. If popular media/culture instead glorified things like self-restraint, commitment, etc, I'm sure some % of people would be influenced.

ah yes uhhh endorsing abstinence with uhhh. sex. that certainly hasn't been tried before

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

we should not work around bad thing with public policy

* lists a bunch of public policy proposals *

i am very smart

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

computer, generate a comment from a peertube enthusiast

quote:

rosmax_1337 1 hour ago [–]

I am very hopeful for Peertube and their project, since I'm currently partaking in hosting a large video website for otherwise content too controversial for mainstream platforms like Youtube. (Political content if you were wondering, but I won't indulge what kind)
This takes back control to creators in such a way that essentially only domain registrars will be able to dictate what content may stay alive on the internet. (And naturally that each to their own get to federate to their own liking) At the moment domain registrars have been staying on what is IMO the correct stance of content allowance, requiring more or less police warrants to take down content. In fact I'm hopeful enough for this project that I've considered spending some time to get stuck in the development enough that I could even contribute pull requests or helpful issues to the tracker.

I would like to see a world instead where all channels on Youtube were their own "Peertubes" instead. Youtube/Google have really let consumers and creators down as it is right now, which in a way is natural, since they only really have allegiance to their sponsors and advertisers.

quote:

ralusek 1 hour ago [–]

[flagged]

quote:

marricks 1 hour ago [–]

I mean, this comment could give you some clues [to what their leanings are and what content could be hosted*]: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26610522
*Added context since parent was flagged

quote:

rosmax_1337 17 days ago | parent | favorite | on: Gender, race, and entrepreneurship: A randomized f...

This is not surprising to me. For all I've seen "non-white non-male" is generally given priority in all kinds of areas, certainly in start-up interest. It's considered "hip" to associate with these "non-white non-male" groups, irregardless of their actual performance in whatever area they were prioritized. (To a certain extent at least, they can't be completely nonperforming) Being able to show that you have included these groups in whatever way your organization works, gives you advantages in press situations foremost, but also in other ways such as meeting arbitrary quotas set by higher-ups and HR dept.s in your organization.
This is however, given two equal applications. Such as this study shows. I would be knocking down open doors to state that white men are over represented in the "STEM/Entrepreneurship" areas. What needs to be addressed is what the underlying cause is to this over representation. For all I see there are two potential causes:

1) Non-white non-males are given less ability to grow in the "STEM/Entrepreneurship" fields as students and/or children by society. 2) White men are able to outperform those other groups by some inherent quality.

Worth noting is also that simply stating 2) as a potential cause of this difference is more or less a hatecrime in most settings, and academia would do well not to touch in attempting to work with that hypothesis if they wish to keep tenure and funding. Nevertheless, 1) seems to be partially disproved by studies just like the one above, showing that white men are in fact given less ability to grow in "STEM/Entrepreneurship" areas, as by the bias shown towards the Asian and Female applications.

ill save you the bulk (it's 50% rants about cancel culture and freeze peach and 50% rants wanting people to shut up about their politics :thunk:) but some sweet morsels from their history

quote:

There is a clear line-drawing problem. Is all nationalism equal to nazism? Is all vaccine-skepticism anti-vaxx?

The election result is disputed. Hello!

I think it is funny that these oh so fringe white nationalists are able to influence society at large on a global scale. I'm starting to think that the way they keep being framed as "fringe" is just a way to try and dismiss their impact on society.

The classical liberalism which arguably founded the western societies has been completely overthrown and subjugated by neoliberal leftism of various degrees, multicultural mania etc.

The "start a blog"-argument really falls short when CloudFlare began terminating hate, you know?

(remrotSyliaD)

if theres one ive never seen and definitely never been endlessly recommended on youtube, its white dudes whining about how hard it is to be white. thank you dailystreamer peertube

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

if theres one thing i think when i browse to a webpage today to read a text article and it chugs along at 10 fps on my 16 core 4ghz 256gb ram computer, its "wow web performance is continuously getting better!"

a lot of this is third-party code (ads, trackers, embeds)

ad code is an enormous gently caress

i'm not even talking about how they're spying on everything you do, i mean it's all terrible broken code that hasn't been touched since steve the intern wrote it 20 years ago because it ~just works~ and will never be touched again until a browser update patches a security hole the code was reliant on, then it's hacked at until it starts working again.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

every month i get sent a 150px jpg of a black square from a vp of BlastedUpYourAd with the text "site broke pls fix"

well, your script is trying to hijack the page, and it failed because your code is broken. my advice is don't do that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tomp 4 hours ago [–]

Sure but my point is that, while you could argue that decisions about some topics could be discriminatory by definition, that has nothing to do with AI (and saying that AI is at fault is pure anti-AI FUD).

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*as the robots overrun the last defenders in the warsaw ghetto*

"Woah, woah dude. Look, I get that you're upset, but they're controlled by AI. They can't be nazis"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"that sort of terminological inexactitude just divides us further"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
AI? More like BI (Humans)