Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Fallom posted:

We sold our house in September and had a little COVID safety station with masks, sanitizer, and cleanser that everyone ignored. Oh, and one set of viewers and their realtor left the loving fireplace on when they left.

Assume the worst out of those fuckers. We opened all the windows before leaving and waited a good hour before coming back, then sanitized all the surfaces.

A friend of mine sold her house around the same time. She was checking their baby monitor camera and saw a couple come into the house, take their masks off, and then go lay on her bed for a while. Another family hung around her baby's crib and one guy sneezed into his hand and then touched the crib.

She talked to the real estate agent, who was in the room when both these things happened and did nothing. He saw nothing wrong and said she was "overreacting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Jesus Christ those stories. Thankfully the realtor was super strict and no one seemed like an rear end in a top hat, people didn't even open closets more than we did for them already. Almost everyone even just avoided going into the room my wife was working in as well, and no one had a mask under the nose which was surprising.

Illinois has had/does have super strict guidelines for realtors ongoing still though. That and potential buyers basically have to suck up every way they can to try and get offers accepted with the current market helps I guess.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

all I'm hearing is become a millionaire/billionaire and go on ahead and burn this shithole to the ground (where my good dog died) before I leave it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm honored that my dumb "the Pfizer shot gives you boner right, so where's mine?" joke earned itself a thread title change.

It's really crazy to me to think of the two Americas that exist simultaneously right now. Me, my friends, and my mom's side of the family have all been in a rush to get our shots as soon as we can; and we all take quarantine/lockdown seriously.
My dad and his girlfriend? gently caress it let's travel to Arizona and Florida a bunch and also there's no way we're getting that vaccine because, "it rewrites your DNA!"

I hope they make it mandatory for travel, even domestically, because I don't know how else we're going to get people like my dad vaccinated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

frogge posted:

I'm honored that my dumb "the Pfizer shot gives you boner right, so where's mine?" joke earned itself a thread title change.

It's really crazy to me to think of the two Americas that exist simultaneously right now. Me, my friends, and my mom's side of the family have all been in a rush to get our shots as soon as we can; and we all take quarantine/lockdown seriously.
My dad and his girlfriend? gently caress it let's travel to Arizona and Florida a bunch and also there's no way we're getting that vaccine because, "it rewrites your DNA!"

I hope they make it mandatory for travel, even domestically, because I don't know how else we're going to get people like my dad vaccinated.

blowdarts

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Canada only instituted mandatory hotel quarantine for travelers a few weeks ago ...... but only at airports and not if they drive in, and the quarantine only lasts 3 days, and if people don't feel like doing it they just let them walk out and send them a fine in the mail.

https://twitter.com/ianjamesyoung70/status/1381432563856592898

TBF with the number of cases seen in Canada, having strict border quarantine would basically not accomplish anything. It works well if there is not already widespread domestic contagion.

Strict border quarantine is also probably what a pre-Schengen europe would have done pretty early on in 2020. But no, that'd be illegal... Can't limit the free flow of labor across borders!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Surely the humane option is crop-dusting entire towns with it.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

TBF with the number of cases seen in Canada, having strict border quarantine would basically not accomplish anything. It works well if there is not already widespread domestic contagion.

Strict border quarantine is also probably what a pre-Schengen europe would have done pretty early on in 2020. But no, that'd be illegal... Can't limit the free flow of labor across borders!
I know people frequently say border controls aren't affective once there's community spread but I'm guessing if Canada's borders were closed they wouldn't have had tons of people at a ski resort ending up with the P1 variant.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

https://twitter.com/monkeyspawgames/status/1381475178866216960

Another protest is scheduled for tonight.

I have a really bad feeling about this... I'm not sure who exactly did the call out but the fact RebelNews was there from the start smells bad.

The people that were there, however, seemed 90% local youth that seemed more excited than politicized, to be polite. Too bad the Montreal police apparently forgot about the kettling/mass arrest tactics they'd use on us so loving often during any leftist or student protest. Anytime it's a real riot, like Stanley Cup wins, suddenly they can't do poo poo. A 17 year old college student with a bandana over their face however is usually fair game for chemical weapons and 37mm rubber bullets shot from an ARWEN, of course.

As soon as the spring weather started appearing it's like a dam broke and people just flooded the sidewalks and businesses. It was packed everywhere downtown the past few times it was remotely sunny. Every interview I hear with protesters from last night they're asking questions that have been continuously answered for over a year now. Just an endless stream of covidiots asking why we have to put up with the measures when they're the perfect example why we need them. People gathering more and more all over the place, maskless with no distance, as we're starting a 3rd wave with variants promising hell. 2 loving birthday parties in the past WEEK in the backyard of one of my neighbors.

My wife's been wanting to move to Gaspésie for years, I thought I needed the big city for a few more years still, until covid... holy poo poo I cannot wait to move out in the sticks.

Getting pissed off about people having birthday parties is NOT healthy in the slightest.

e: About the "mandatory" quarantine when coming into Canada... there's a story in the news cycle right now about certain taxi companies offering people a ride through the border by car, with specific marketing + advice for how to avoid the measures.

:thumbsup:

U.S. taxi services see business boost helping Canadians avoid hotel quarantine
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-snowbirds-hotel-quarantine-land-border-travel-1.5980913

quote:

Airport transport service, Buffalo Limousine, lost about 70 per cent of its business during COVID-19 pandemic. But the company said its luck changed recently, thanks to Canadian snowbirds returning from U.S. sunbelt states who want to avoid Canada's hotel quarantine requirement.

"This is a huge, huge shot in the arm for us, this Canadian snowbird travel," said Carla Boccio, owner of Buffalo Limousine. "It's a godsend."

Literally :murder:

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 12, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bronze Fonz posted:

The people that were there, however, seemed 90% local youth that seemed more excited than politicized, to be polite. Too bad the Montreal police apparently forgot about the kettling/mass arrest tactics they'd use on us so loving often during any leftist or student protest. Anytime it's a real riot, like Stanley Cup wins,

OK, let me stop you here...

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK, let me stop you here...

Hey, it could happen again!

Actually we've had riots the last time the Habs beat Boston in Round 1 of the playoffs... your point still stands, gently caress!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

frogge posted:

Surely the humane option is crop-dusting entire towns with it.

Chemtrails!!!! :tinfoil:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Could get people to wear masks at least.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Zil posted:

Could get people to wear masks at least.

The people that believe in chemtrails think they've been going on for years. They think aluminum hats help not masks

:confused:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

A Fancy Hat posted:

A friend of mine sold her house around the same time. She was checking their baby monitor camera and saw a couple come into the house, take their masks off, and then go lay on her bed for a while. Another family hung around her baby's crib and one guy sneezed into his hand and then touched the crib.

She talked to the real estate agent, who was in the room when both these things happened and did nothing. He saw nothing wrong and said she was "overreacting".

The moment I knew SARS-CoV-2 was going to gently caress us was in February or maybe early March, watching a guy delivering bottles of soda to a store and licking his first two fingers before every bottle he placed, apparently so that he could turn the bottles properly???

People are awful and cannot be trusted.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Ah, hell you're right. Back to the blow darts.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Got my second shot of Modurna.

Sweated for a couple of hours, but now I'm feeling better.

I heard that Modurna is going to release a single "booster" shot that'll help protect you from the variants. Is that true?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

If your dad is traveling to places like Arizona and Florida don't depend on either place ever requiring proof of vaccinations for people entering. AZ is run by mega chuds and Florida is run by the US version of Bolsonaro.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Got my second shot of Modurna.

Sweated for a couple of hours, but now I'm feeling better.

I heard that Modurna is going to release a single "booster" shot that'll help protect you from the variants. Is that true?
They have one already designed and have produced a few doses. Pfizer also has one in the pipeline, and they told me that people in the trial will get it if they end up needing to use it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fallom posted:

We sold our house in September and had a little COVID safety station with masks, sanitizer, and cleanser that everyone ignored. Oh, and one set of viewers and their realtor left the loving fireplace on when they left.

Assume the worst out of those fuckers. We opened all the windows before leaving and waited a good hour before coming back, then sanitized all the surfaces.

I think the CDC said that the sanitizer/cleanser stuff is just theater now and that COVID basically only spreads in the air. So keep the dang masks on but don't worry about cleaning all the surfaces. Personally I wouldn't wear some mask given to me by a stranger but I always have my own.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My (soon to be former, thank god) boss casually mentioned today while everyone was talking about their vaccines and side effects that he's not sure if he's getting a vaccine. He says he got a flu shot once and still got the flu that year so what's the point if it doesn't work anyway???? Also he already had Covid (he got sick a year ago, has no idea if it was Covid but likes to claim he god covid 'before it was cool') so that means he doesn't need one anyway.

:shepicide:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the CDC said that the sanitizer/cleanser stuff is just theater now and that COVID basically only spreads in the air. So keep the dang masks on but don't worry about cleaning all the surfaces. Personally I wouldn't wear some mask given to me by a stranger but I always have my own.

Even though it's theater, I was enjoying the extra cleanliness in public spaces. I'm now hyper aware of how nasty literally everything I touch is.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I'm basically permanently programmed to sanitize my hands after being in public at this point.

Which probably isn't a bad thing?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This stuff is really worrying. Canada is known in the US to be pretty chill and seeing so many young people rise up against their own health is just...... mind boggling.

Seeing the riot police is giving me loving PTSD from being here in Kenosha from people getting murdered here less than a mile from me and the national guard and police started stomping poo poo lol.

I hope you guys remain safe and it dies out quick. This escalation isn't promising.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the CDC said that the sanitizer/cleanser stuff is just theater now and that COVID basically only spreads in the air.
Fwiw, while you're right this is suggested by the CDC, it's not actually true.

In the US, we have almost no contact tracing. If you get it, nobody cares whether you got it from a checkout person whose mask wasn't tight or from a box of cereal that someone touched before you. Nobody is even trying to figure that out.

In Australia and China, case numbers are low enough that they actually are asking those questions. And sometimes the answer is that you did get it from surface transmission.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-jumped-between-people-via-elevator-surfaces-study-2020-7
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/427446/rubbish-bin-the-likely-source-of-covid-infection

Obviously the biggest thing you can do is wear a good mask, but wiping down surfaces isn't a bad idea either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lacrosse posted:

Even though it's theater, I was enjoying the extra cleanliness in public spaces. I'm now hyper aware of how nasty literally everything I touch is.

Oh yeah I was like this even in the before times and refused to use any public touch screens or even other people's phones.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
So I got my first Moderna shot a week and a half ago now, and they didn't put a date to return on my card and I haven't heard anything. I'm hoping I'll get an e-mail or text around the 28 day mark?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This stuff is really worrying. Canada is known in the US to be pretty chill and seeing so many young people rise up against their own health is just...... mind boggling.

Seeing the riot police is giving me loving PTSD from being here in Kenosha from people getting murdered here less than a mile from me and the national guard and police started stomping poo poo lol.

I hope you guys remain safe and it dies out quick. This escalation isn't promising.

The internet breaks everyone’s brains, including (maybe especially) nice people

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Fwiw, while you're right this is suggested by the CDC, it's not actually true.

In the US, we have almost no contact tracing. If you get it, nobody cares whether you got it from a checkout person whose mask wasn't tight or from a box of cereal that someone touched before you. Nobody is even trying to figure that out.

In Australia and China, case numbers are low enough that they actually are asking those questions. And sometimes the answer is that you did get it from surface transmission.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-jumped-between-people-via-elevator-surfaces-study-2020-7
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/427446/rubbish-bin-the-likely-source-of-covid-infection

Obviously the biggest thing you can do is wear a good mask, but wiping down surfaces isn't a bad idea either.

China's data on surface transmission is pretty suspect because they're trying to validate their absurd claim that the virus was brought to china on frozen food packaging or some bullshit.

NZ is more interesting, but it still seems likelier that they have quarantine breaks they're not accounting for (it's a hotel, not a supermax prison).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There was also a very similar elevator case in NZ. https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/122512325/coronavirus-mystery-rydges-case-possibly-linked-to-use-of-hotel-elevator

It's possible there was some kind of mastermind heist/breakout scenario that nobody discovered, but in general, they've caught other security breaches, they have video, and we know fomite transmission is possible -- I think Occam's razor suggests that that's what happened.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 12, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I won’t forgive NZ for trying to blame innocent lobsters and trash can lids

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

There was also a very similar elevator case in NZ. https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/122512325/coronavirus-mystery-rydges-case-possibly-linked-to-use-of-hotel-elevator

It's possible there was some kind of mastermind heist/breakout scenario that nobody discovered, but in general, they've caught other security breaches, they have video, and we know fomite transmission is possible -- I think Occam's razor suggests that that's what happened.

this is a pretty significant claim you are backing up with no evidence whatsoever

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My claim is that fomite transmission is possible. That is not a controversial claim, it's agreed upon by pretty much all sources afaik.

quote:

It is possible for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects (fomites), but the risk is generally considered to be low.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

I backed it up with 3 examples of fomite transmission, all studied in depth by major governmental agencies including the CDC.
For example, here's the CDC report of the China elevator situation. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1798_article

Imo "the whole study is totally invented to try to shift the blame" and "fomite transmission doesn't exist" are much bigger and more controversial claims.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Quebec is a distinct society.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The rubbish bin lid is thought to be not that likely as the source of that transmission anymore. They think it's more likely it was airborne spread

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...isolation-hotel

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

My take is still "if you watch someone sneeze on your baby's crib, go ahead and wipe that down" -- even "if you had people wandering around your house and you don't know what they did, it's a good idea to wipe things down" is really not controversial at all afaik.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

My claim is that fomite transmission is possible. That is not a controversial claim, it's agreed upon by pretty much all sources afaik.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

I backed it up with 3 examples of fomite transmission, all studied in depth by major governmental agencies including the CDC.
For example, here's the CDC report of the China elevator situation. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1798_article

Imo "the whole study is totally invented to try to shift the blame" and "fomite transmission doesn't exist" are much bigger and more controversial claims.

you are basically contradicting your own source but sure. Of course it is possible of course wash your drat hands but its very unlikely that new zealand poo poo was the result of fomites, its irresponsible to suggest as much.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725445740419219479/831312108440125501/vaccine.mp4

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Heck I wish it was fomites I mean truly airborne is so much worse

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Spinz posted:

Heck I wish it was fomites I mean truly airborne is so much worse

:(

Yeah gently caress right super cool the one really controllable thing doesn’t really seem to matter