Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Sleepytime posted:

Greetings, thread.

Oh poo poo!

Welcome, hello, and tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepytime

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Thank you thank you.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

Gear chat: I am in the market for a very solid, very practical, basically perfect potbelly tea pot. I would really like one from an individual artist though. I don't even know where to begin; Etsy is a hellscape. Any ideas?

Budget?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Under $200, shipped, would be nice, but I'm willing to pay more for the right pot.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Welcome Sleepy Time I am going to drink the hell out of one of your sibs in a few hours

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bilirubin posted:

Welcome Sleepy Time I am going to drink the hell out of one of your sibs in a few hours

Vampires ITT

Finger Prince

I ate a bad dinner and feel pretty gross. Help me peach rooibos, you're my only hope!

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
Greetings Tea Goons, I have been into tea since I moved to Taiwan 13 years ago. I am active in the GWS tea thread and I just found about this one from aldantefax. I like chatting teas, gear, and ceremony and posting photos. I can't answer questions about ordering things online because I never do that. But a goon asked nicely for some coaching a few months ago, so I enlisted a few more people who wanted in and mailed everyone a bunch of tea samples. We do video chats every saturday to drink them together. I doubt I can keep up with this thread but it's great to be here and if you want in on future tea goon study groups lmk

Escape From Noise

Taiwan, and Taiwanese tea is awesome.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

Under $200, shipped, would be nice, but I'm willing to pay more for the right pot.

If you're looking for one that is sized for, you know, a one and done brew as opposed to for gongfu cha, then why go for 200 when you can get the newest version of the Brown Betty teapot? It's a classic and instantly recognizable design that has been oft copied and readily available.

If you're looking for a more modern aesthetic in the same category where you throw some teabags in, BEEHOUSE and FORLIFE both are Japanese companies that make pretty decent kit. I have used both and I like em but I don't like FORLIFE's filters, I would just use a Finum basket instead.

If you want to dive into critical tasting and are looking for a smaller more modest pot, get a load of this pot pie:

https://westchinatea.com/mutton-fat-jade-porcelain-taijian-teapot/

I haven't used that teapot specifically but I have used the porcelain and I can vouch for it at the teahouse. It has a semi-translucent property that catches the light in

If you want a teapot that is ~artisanal and poo poo~ and also will season and will be dedicated to one tea or one class of tea and you will take care of it and give it a name and cherish it for the rest of your life and beyond, this one fits your budget:

https://westchinatea.com/reminiscence-chaozhou-crimson-clay-teapot/

While I don't have this teapot I have been contemplating buying a pot dedicated to puerh since I have one dedicated to oolongs that I've had for seven to eight years (now residing at the teahouse) and so it has begun developing a seasoning. I actually bought it from Haymen at the Geary location of Aroma and it was made by a local potter in SF, but I forgot basically all the notes about the maker by this point, I just know it's a pretty dope pot.

If you are wanting to do critical tasting of teas as an introduction, then Haymen can likely set you up with a pretty nice gaiwan that will fill the bill and still leave some headroom for another pot.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Greetings Tea Goons, I have been into tea since I moved to Taiwan 13 years ago. I am active in the GWS tea thread and I just found about this one from aldantefax. I like chatting teas, gear, and ceremony and posting photos. I can't answer questions about ordering things online because I never do that. But a goon asked nicely for some coaching a few months ago, so I enlisted a few more people who wanted in and mailed everyone a bunch of tea samples. We do video chats every saturday to drink them together. I doubt I can keep up with this thread but it's great to be here and if you want in on future tea goon study groups lmk

hi

Escape From Noise

Beehouse pots are v. cute

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I wish i knew more about asian tea consumption habits and practices but my tea approach is solidly influenced by the british isles and I cannot fathom drinking tea without milk but chamomile and other herbal teas might be the gateway drug because I am drinking them without milk. You just gotta be patient and let them cool which is not a strong suit of mine

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

aldantefax posted:

If you're looking for one that is sized for, you know, a one and done brew as opposed to for gongfu cha, then why go for 200 when you can get the newest version of the Brown Betty teapot? It's a classic and instantly recognizable design that has been oft copied and readily available.

If you're looking for a more modern aesthetic in the same category where you throw some teabags in, BEEHOUSE and FORLIFE both are Japanese companies that make pretty decent kit. I have used both and I like em but I don't like FORLIFE's filters, I would just use a Finum basket instead.

If you want to dive into critical tasting and are looking for a smaller more modest pot, get a load of this pot pie:

I haven't used that teapot specifically but I have used the porcelain and I can vouch for it at the teahouse. It has a semi-translucent property that catches the light in

If you want a teapot that is ~artisanal and poo poo~ and also will season and will be dedicated to one tea or one class of tea and you will take care of it and give it a name and cherish it for the rest of your life and beyond, this one fits your budget:

https://westchinatea.com/reminiscence-chaozhou-crimson-clay-teapot/

While I don't have this teapot I have been contemplating buying a pot dedicated to puerh since I have one dedicated to oolongs that I've had for seven to eight years (now residing at the teahouse) and so it has begun developing a seasoning. I actually bought it from Haymen at the Geary location of Aroma and it was made by a local potter in SF, but I forgot basically all the notes about the maker by this point, I just know it's a pretty dope pot.

If you are wanting to do critical tasting of teas as an introduction, then Haymen can likely set you up with a pretty nice gaiwan that will fill the bill and still leave some headroom for another pot.

both those teapots are very cute and i love how they chose to photograph them chillin on a rock like they are going on a big adventure

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder

aldantefax posted:

Dehua, where that's from, has good poo poo. Porcelain and other clay pots. Jingdezhen is overpriced at this point considering both towns' crafts are about equal.

Escape From Noise posted:

Taiwan, and Taiwanese tea is awesome.
TAIWAN NUMBA ONEEEEEEEEE

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I wish i knew more about asian tea consumption habits and practices but my tea approach is solidly influenced by the british isles and I cannot fathom drinking tea without milk but chamomile and other herbal teas might be the gateway drug because I am drinking them without milk. You just gotta be patient and let them cool which is not a strong suit of mine
If you ever want to be a real tea snob follow the Chadao, you best learn to sit. Cooled drinks are the best for analyzing. Like in a coffee cupping, or wine tasting.

Escape From Noise

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Dehua, where that's from, has good poo poo. Porcelain and other clay pots. Jingdezhen is overpriced at this point considering both towns' crafts are about equal.

TAIWAN NUMBA ONEEEEEEEEE

So maybe you be a good person to ask who wrote Taiwan Rulez #1, on my car, with a key!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

both those teapots are very cute and i love how they chose to photograph them chillin on a rock like they are going on a big adventure

The dude who does the photos also works at the teahouse, he is the other owner of the place! Also chill.

Finger Prince

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Earl Grey, hot

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Think of any time you would drink any liquid any where. That liquid is tea. Also, think of any social thing, most people will go out and have tea like milk tea, or people who are more focused on chillin' and chattin' and tastin' some ancient teas will probably also happen. Tourists will likely be tricked or be curious about fancy tea and so get hoovered in and wowed and charged a billion dollars. If a gift is being given, it might be tea - but not the good stuff unless you're in the know. If you sniff out a bad tea that was given to you a gift, then it looks bad, but if you call 'em out they'll get you the good poo poo.

I recommend looking at a book like The Story of Tea, which has lots of details about the historic and cultural underpinnings for tea!

Dip Viscous

instead of letting my tea cool, i burn my mouth with it. i do this to reaffirm to myself that i am all that is man, then i flex so hard my shirt explodes off. i also add milk even though i dislike it, because i'm lactose intolerant and making GBS threads myself is funny.

Dip Viscous

i've never had problems drinking hot liquids like some people seem to, even right off the boil. i just drink it more slowly.

my best friend insisted that i was drinking things wrong for sipping slowly instead of just dumping 200F liquid straight into my mouth. he actually got angry about me not burning myself.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

YOU'RE NOT REALLY ENJOYING YORUSELF WITHOUT BLISTERING YOUR THROAT

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TEA IS BEST ENJOYED FOLLOWED BY MOLTEN GOLD

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gear chat update: I'm just gonna email Haymen and tell him I want a pot dedicated to oolong, here's my budget, what do you have.

Haymen has NEVER steered me wrong.

Escape From Noise

If you aren't gargling in pain, you're just not doing it right.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
When I was slinging tea from a gaiwan daily I developed methods for handling near-boiling water (gaiwans are actually good on that front if you learn how to handle them!). I also learned how to adjust water temperature by varying pour speed and height as well as cooling the brew through aeration, and ideally, as loud as possible to let everybody know you are drinking some delicious brew.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

Gear chat update: I'm just gonna email Haymen and tell him I want a pot dedicated to oolong, here's my budget, what do you have.

Haymen has NEVER steered me wrong.

good poo poo

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

:11tea: TEA! TIME!:11tea:

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

good call gonna do a tea

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
tea update: having a very nice golden water turtle oolong

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

turtle piss tea does not sound that delicious tbh

Amp

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

turtle piss tea does not sound that delicious tbh

this turtle piss is nice and floral

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
AC still not pumping cold air here at the apartment so i'm strongly tempted to go to the teahouse with my jet engine macbook, seriously this thing puts out so much heat

Escape From Noise

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Goddamn that sounds nice! Since the chances of me getting to Kobe seem less likely I'm going to need to check out some online resources possibly.

Escape From Noise

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeey!

Drink tea every day!

Vivian Darkbloom

My glass teapot had a guide saying to try cold brew. Is there any kind of tea that works well for cold brew? I made a pot of oolong but it doesn't really taste right.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Strong black teas do well with cold brew. Also, for some reason, long steeps of white tea are good. I learn this by forgetting, when I intended to do a 2 hour cold brew, and letting it go overnight. Still good.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Try your favorite tea and I bet it will be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I finally put my bags of mugicha to use