Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Side note I think the Pfizer vax making you have more vivid dreams chatter I've read may be true, at least for me it certainly is. I's no big deal I'm just saying certainly happening right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Spinz posted:

Side note I think the Pfizer vax making you have more vivid dreams chatter I've read may be true, at least for me it certainly is. I's no big deal I'm just saying certainly happening right now.

Yeah I think that’s legit my dreams have been like hours long and intense

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah I think that’s legit my dreams have been like hours long and intense

It was Norman Reedus for me who was it for you?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Spinz posted:

It was Norman Reedus for me who was it for you?

Lol he’s a friend of some friends telling them this anyway ironically enough it was like personal zombie movie stuff. Real rough.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Lol he’s a friend of some friends telling them this anyway ironically enough it was like personal zombie movie stuff. Real rough.

Wait a minute you're saying you're going to tell someone who knows Norman Reedus about my dream about me and him?

:aaaaa:
Good night

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Norman Reedus controls all of our dreams no I don’t have any sources for this he just does

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My pre-existing germphobia meant I didn't really change my handwashing habits during the pandemic, although it did spur me to only use my pinky for point-of-sale machines and the like, and then to treat that finger as UNCLEAN. I drive around after a shopping strip with my pinky raised off the steering wheel like some Victorian dandy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah I'm basically permanently programmed to sanitize my hands after being in public at this point.

Which probably isn't a bad thing?

The nice thing about health anxiety from latent OCD is that pressing elevator buttons with my knuckles and opening doors without directly using my hands was comfortable habit long before 2020.

For awhile it was nice not being the only person assiduously wiping down the shopping cart or applying hand sanitizer.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 13, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My pre-existing germphobia meant I didn't really change my handwashing habits during the pandemic, although it did spur me to only use my pinky for point-of-sale machines and the like, and then to treat that finger as UNCLEAN. I drive around after a shopping strip with my pinky raised off the steering wheel like some Victorian dandy.

I have a pen that's got a capacitive stylus on the tip too that you can use when the pen is retracted. I've mostly gone back to hand sanitizer because the places I go to that's pretty plentiful, but I make sure to take it with me just in case.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

If your dad is traveling to places like Arizona and Florida don't depend on either place ever requiring proof of vaccinations for people entering. AZ is run by mega chuds and Florida is run by the US version of Bolsonaro.

I live in Georgia, it's like third worst.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The nice thing about health anxiety from latent OCD is that pressing elevator buttons with my knuckles and opening doors without directly using my hands was comfortable habit long before 2020.

For awhile it was nice not being the only person assiduously wiping down the shopping cart or applying hand sanitizer.

I paused midway through gassing up my car, realizing how stupid it is that I'm willing to touch a credit card pad in a grocery store but not a gas pump or a credit card pad at a gas pump.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
A man in his 80s has died from covid in Queensland. We had a good run, but drat.

There's also been a case identified on a cargo ship off the WA coast. The ship has been refused permission to dock, but things could get chaotic.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lolie posted:

There's also been a case identified on a cargo ship off the WA coast. The ship has been refused permission to dock, but things could get chaotic.
That's pretty standard for WA's cases. They get so many from that, being the first region into which ships enter on that side of the continent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

I have a pen that's got a capacitive stylus on the tip too that you can use when the pen is retracted. I've mostly gone back to hand sanitizer because the places I go to that's pretty plentiful, but I make sure to take it with me just in case.

I can't use most hand sanitizer because of eczema, so I've gotten adept at Not Touching Things. Even the soap in a lot of public restrooms will set it off, so I have to be careful. I used the sanitizer towelettes at grocery stores religiously after reading some of the research of how staggeringly filthy they get, so that was already a long-standing habit for me. Handicap-accessible buttons hit with my elbow are one of my usual things. If I have to push a door open it's with my sleeve or in a place that obviously doesn't get touched, like really high up the door. And on those rare occasions I have to let someone else use my pen it gets a thorough disinfecting afterward.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

you are basically contradicting your own source but sure. Of course it is possible of course wash your drat hands but its very unlikely that new zealand poo poo was the result of fomites, its irresponsible to suggest as much.
I'm literally just repeating what NZ and CDC official sources are saying. I'm not making poo poo up, it's what the actual scientists studying it have said.

We all agree droplet and aerosol infection are much more likely than fomite.

You know how denialists are like "99% of people with covid survive!!" and sane people are like "okay but that means over 3 million would die in the US alone, and that's bad."

If 99% of cases are spread by droplet or aerosol, even if only 1% are transmitted by fomite, that's about 32,000 cases in the US alone. And that's bad.

To be clear, I spoke up when someone actively advised "don't clean surfaces in your home that randos have touched." That's way more irresponsible than "go ahead and wipe it off," so I'm not sure why the pushback is on me.

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020
Just listened to the new TWIV and the latest CDC report estimates that about 1 in 10,000 covid cases are a result of fomite transmission.

Not nothing, but not an area of great concern either.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Spinz posted:

Mine have been pretty trippy lately too but I get woken up a bunch at night and the early morning because of pets and when my spouse gets up before me for work. All that seems to affect the weirdness of the dreams when I do get back to sleep.
I couldn't say if the final shot the other day and recent dream quality are related. It comes and goes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Lot of people ITT don't seem to realise vivid dreams are one of the most common symptoms of a fever, and can also be caused by pain in the arm on the side you normally sleep on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

TBF with the number of cases seen in Canada, having strict border quarantine would basically not accomplish anything. It works well if there is not already widespread domestic contagion.

Strict border quarantine is also probably what a pre-Schengen europe would have done pretty early on in 2020. But no, that'd be illegal... Can't limit the free flow of labor across borders!

It would have made some sense to implement a raft of strict mitigation restrictions including traveler quarantine and lockdowns back in February when cases were dropping and there was maybe a chance of getting things under control if they could keep the downward momentum going:

Of course implementing a 3 day quarantine on only a fraction of the returned travelers is pretty much just security theatre regardless of whatever else is happening, it would have to be at least 14 days quarantine if they were being serious about it and even then that would only catch 95% of infections since the incubation period can last as long as 20 days in a small percentage of cases.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This stuff is really worrying. Canada is known in the US to be pretty chill and seeing so many young people rise up against their own health is just...... mind boggling.

Seeing the riot police is giving me loving PTSD from being here in Kenosha from people getting murdered here less than a mile from me and the national guard and police started stomping poo poo lol.

I hope you guys remain safe and it dies out quick. This escalation isn't promising.

I wouldn't say that all of them are rising up against their own health necessarily. I don't know what it's like in Quebec but I'm a college professor in Switzerland and the students here are absolutely getting the short lovely end of the stick and I can tell they're really reaching the end of their rope. School is online now and has been for most of the last 12 months. Except "we're not an online school" so there have been very few meaningful changes to the teaching and examination methods of in-person learning which just absolutely sucks for the students (and those professors who want to adapt to this new situation but just get steamrolled by the Zoom lecture gang). Then a lot of them are working too and get dragged into the office or into public-facing roles by bosses who are ready to "get back to normal". So school loving sucks, work sucks, all of the bars, cafes and clubs are closed and there's a ban on gatherings of more than 5-10 people. Young people have been completely neglected in basically all aspects of the COVID response here and they're sick of it. They occasionally get fed little bullshit nuggets about how we can just go back to class and everything will be fine but it seems like they aren't really thinking it through. When I ask my students if they'd rather come back to school in person or have bars/clubs/cafes open sooner it's like they never even considered that one thing might delay the other. Meanwhile our finance minister is blowing smoke up everyone's rear end about how we can't afford to give any more COVID support money because "this money belongs to the next generation and we can't just take it away from them" when everyone knows the public pension crisis is looming and he doesn't give a gently caress about the next generation at all.

I guess I don't really have a point other than it must really really loving suck to be in your 20s and trying to get your adult life started and then all this poo poo happens. Lockdowns work, but the messaging from the health authorities just hasn't been good enough to keep everyone focused on the goal of making it out alive.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

J&J on pause because of blood clot concerns, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. 6 cases in ~7 million seems to be the figure but naturally people are already jumping to conclusions about how actually vaccines are bad for you because...

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1381941910022000642

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I was nervous about getting the J&J vaccine yesterday after reading about problems 3 states had with this vaccine last week during mass vaccination events. The CDC and FDA just now called for a pause on issuing further J&J vaccines due to 6 rare blood clotting incidents occurring in women 18 to 48 out of the 6.5 million people that have so far received it. Symptoms related to the blood clots occurred 6 to 13 days after receiving the vaccine. The theory is that the adenovirus vector vaccines may be causing antibodies against platelet factor 4, leading to thrombosis and thrombocytopenia.

I got the shot around noon yesterday, by 3 pm I was nauseated and had a bit of a headache. By 6 pm I had the feeling of coming down with the flu and slept for 12 hours. Woke up this morning feeling fine. No soreness in arm -- I did some mild upper body stretches with the assistance of my TRX before and after getting the shot, and did shoulder rolls while waiting for my 15 minutes in observation to be over.

If you have gotten the J&J vaccine, symptoms to watch out for within the first three weeks are severe headache, leg pain, intestinal pain, and shortness of breath.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 13, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This is better vaccine marketing than any amount of Lin Manuel Miranda

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m scheduled for a j&j vax in two days, um how do I find out what’s going on?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

naem posted:

Right now almost all states are pausing J&J and just issuing the others instead.

While I never trusted J&J given their track record, this sucks as a platform for anti vax people to keep on truckin'.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nothing substantial is going on, they are investigating a literal one in a million reaction primarily in women under 40. The chances of dying from covid are higher than this.

[E] Looking like this may be a very rare side effect of the adenovirus vaccinations (J&J, AZ). I don't think pausing the vaccinations is the right decision to be honest even without the way this will play to the anti-vaxers.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 13, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I don't disagree that anti-vax shitheads will use whatever they can to justify their beliefs, but I think it shows an abundance of caution by the regulators and that there will be plenty of people screaming that 6 cases in 6.5 million doses is no reason to slow things down. This is already happening in Germany where AZ got paused for blood clots and that's really hosed up the already slow and hosed up vaccine roll out there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

naem posted:

My guess is that you'll get a 'no can do' email.

I would be really upset in your shoes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Saros posted:

Nothing substantial is going on

quote:

U.S. Calls for Pause on Johnson & Johnson Vaccine After Rare Clotting Cases

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html?referringSource=articleShare

I would say call your testing site?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks like in my area if you had an appt for J&J in the next few days they're going to be calling to reschedule. Sucks. :-\

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Thanks, South Dacovid: https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1381757491864862727

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

greazeball posted:

I don't disagree that anti-vax shitheads will use whatever they can to justify their beliefs, but I think it shows an abundance of caution by the regulators and that there will be plenty of people screaming that 6 cases in 6.5 million doses is no reason to slow things down. This is already happening in Germany where AZ got paused for blood clots and that's really hosed up the already slow and hosed up vaccine roll out there.
I really think pausing vaccinations is going to hurt more than help anything. We’re at what, 600K dead?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greazeball posted:

Here in Australia we'd been planning on using AZ for most of our vaccinations so our vaccine rollout is hosed up as well. We were also supposed to get millions of Novavax doses by mid 2021 but they've had major supply line issues and now the timeline is "maybe Q3"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-production-set-back/100067218

E:
https://twitter.com/Reuters_Health/status/1381985594826502144

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 13, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think pausing vaccinations is going to hurt more than help anything. We’re at what, 600K dead?

It's probably going to be a short pause and you've got plenty of Pfizer and Moderna though.

Again it's the FDA's job to exercise caution and investigate this stuff in case the clots are entirely avoidable. Like, maybe they were all in people got the vaccine while taking a certain medication, or it interacts poorly with an underlying condition and those people need to just get a different vaccine instead. It's not like they revoked the EUA.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, welcome our new improbable blood clot overlords.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

greazeball posted:

there's a ban on gatherings of more than 5-10 people.

Where I’m at in Alberta, there’s a ban on all indoor gatherings that’s been in place since before Christmas. Fortunately, there’s exemptions for people who live alone and for childcare, so I’ve still been able to see my mom and my father in law, but that’s been about it.

We’re friends with a younger guy in college and it’s been rough on him since school is online and he lives with his brother and sister in law who he doesn’t get along with. If he only got his own apartment back in the summer like he was planning, he’d be able to hang out with us as someone who lives alone. He decided to save his money though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

withak posted:

I, for one, welcome our new improbable blood clot overlords.

Don't worry, in the UK if you're under 30 you can opt out of one blood clot vaccine for the other one. That's the free market baby!

But for real, forewarned is forearmed, and the risk of health complications with any vaccine is still better than catching COVID. While the toll will never be known because it's such an amorphous thing, the big pauses and hesitancy around AZ and now probably for J&J (and maybe Sputnik too for good measure) is likely to end up killing hundreds if not thousands worldwide, not to mention long-term health issues for many more.

Risk of developing CSVT seems to be anywhere from 1/60-250,000, and then the chance of dying from there maybe 1/4 or 1/5. Even if you amped up the likelihood of dying for the most at-risk group, it might be 1/100,000 risk of dying for women between 20-49 or whatnot, that's still pretty much the likelihood of a healthy person dying during routine surgery from infection/freak accident/unknown anaethesia allergy or whatever. Even the flat risk of death for 20-49 age group from catching COVID is somewhere in the lower thousands, even optimistically it's ~1/10,000.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's probably going to be a short pause and you've got plenty of Pfizer and Moderna though.

Again it's the FDA's job to exercise caution and investigate this stuff in case the clots are entirely avoidable. Like, maybe they were all in people got the vaccine while taking a certain medication, or it interacts poorly with an underlying condition and those people need to just get a different vaccine instead. It's not like they revoked the EUA.
Well the delay is expected to be a couple of days so I hope they stick to that

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I am the photographer who went the extra mile to make sure the legs naturally guide the viewers eye straight onto the guys bulge.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
the few anti vaxx people i know hit me with the j/j pause news like a "gotcha"

so thats just great

meanwhile 1 death in 7 million doses. we're never going to get to 70%+ vaccinated and this is going to drag on for years :negative:

also they like to be called vaccine-hesitant instead of anti vaxxers but gently caress them i call them anti vaxxers. you're lumped into the same people that think they get microchipped you dumb bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
well i just got my second dose and it was quick and easy but boy oh boy am i going to nap all day