Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I've never seen mass swaying at a post rock show :psyduck:

Everyone I've been to, people just stand there and nod their head or tap their legs or you know politely rock out. Even at like Bardo pond people usually are too stoned to move and too shy to act like hippies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Junkenstein posted:

poo poo like everybody sit down and jump up at the drop in Fear Satan? Actually, that would be pretty hilarious.

seeing the entire crowd jolt at the same time is the best part of any Mogwai show

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've seen GYBE twice now, and just got tickets for the tour, I'm excited. The first show I saw, during the 2012 reunion, was as good as you'd hope (they played Slow Riot straight through, which ruled). The second show was GYBE opening for Nine Inch Nails, and GYBE played a 30 minute set that was all drones, ambient, and noise. I was super annoyed.

I didn't know the new album was coming, so this was such a nice surprise. I definitely like the first two post-hiatus albums more than the second two, but GYBEs album quality exists within such a narrow range of quality that even my least favorite albums are extremely good. It's crazy that they've doubled the length of their discography since reforming. I never would've imagined it in my wildest dreams. Each of the last four album has felt like such a treat.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yanqui UXO is their worst and it's not even particularly close don't @ me

I would like to one day hear the original version with the Bush sound bites

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I was supposed to go to a godspeed show in Osaka last April but... Last year

Cannot imagine how sick it would have been

When I saw them in my home town in Australia 5 odd years ago, almost everyone was hosed up on something lol. I found two of my most stoneriest friends just swaying in the crowd, even when there was no music. Sick show though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Yanqui UXO is their worst and it's not even particularly close don't @ me

same; it's the only one i never listen to

also, have ticket "service fees" gone up since covid times? jfc

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I got a ticket to MPLS and the next night in Chicago, seated balcony for my aching bones. No mosh pit for me.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I saw GY!BE when they were in Bristol UK a few years back. They played at this old dance music venue that's supposed to be really well respected but was actually pretty run down and felt pretty skeevy, but the show itself was amazing. They played most of Luciferian Towers and ended with Slow Riot, I couldn't have asked for much more.

They're playing Bristol again but a different venue so definitely going to get tickets assuming next January is all safe to do that sort of thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I saw GY!BE over a decade ago, but it wasn't the best specific experience honestly. Like sure the music was great and they had cool visuals, but they were playing in a venue that was more of a theatre sort of deal, and everyone just sat in their designated seat to watch the show. I much prefer the sort of vague mob of nerds standing and slightly head-bobbing as they crowd the stage.

I think I hold some hipster cred for seeing Explosions in the Sky when they were still relatively low key, playing in a gymnasium of a culture centre, where attendance was so low that the mob of nerds only took up like a quarter of the whole gymnasium as they crowded the stage.

The best post-rock show I've been to had to have been Sigur Ros though, touring for Kveikur. They played on a stage set up on the waterfront of a lake, and the weather was such that it was like a constant mist, or very light rain. I sat on the lawn with my partner at the time, with an umbrella over us, and it was just an overall magical experience.

I've seen Mogwai a couple times, and it's always been great. But to play into their self-exclusion of the genre, they never felt like a typical post-rock show, just a good honest rock show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ok, memories then.

GY!BE and Mogwai at the Edinburgh International Festival, both seated at the Leith Theatre. Enjoyable but not as fun as they could have been. ASMZ gigs are a bit better and a bit more loose.

Also I saw EITS at a festival from in front of the barriers when I used to do gig photography and I just sat on the metal and it was like I was in a row all of my own. Like they were playing just for me and if I looked forward I couldn’t perceive anyone else. All the other photogs left after one song (they didn’t really know how long they were) but the rules are usually “three songs, no flash” which was basically their entire set :v:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/albums/72157622475210524

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i like explosions in the sky but the gig of theirs i went to just made me super bored

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Going to a crappy 2-story bar to see Caspian in Philly, maybe less than 150 people, they do Dropsonde and I lose my mind, just absolutely lose my mind at the melody when it kicks into high gear and the most amazingly cute group of people sort of waft over to me and pass me a water bottle and then a really tall goth girl hands me a second water bottle with some foamy poo poo and whispers “you can kill this” to me and I downed it and it was like 2 e-pills crushed at the bottom of some vodka or something and then I went back to their house with them and they were like “that was awesome, I’ve never heard that music before” so I was like “here is EiTS, GSYBE, and Do Make Say Think” and we just vibed for the whole weekend.

lmao pre-Covid ha ha ha, Jesus Christ we were so casually disgusting

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Mogwai are almost as loud as Growing

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Whoever said Yanqui UXO was Godspeed’s worst effort was right I went back to listen again and nothing on that album besides Rocket Falls is interesting

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

lazerwolf posted:

Whoever said Yanqui UXO was Godspeed’s worst effort was right I went back to listen again and nothing on that album besides Rocket Falls is interesting

I think part of the issue is the way it was recorded or produced. Everything sounds very compressed for some reason.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I saw EITS supporting Four Tet in what used to be a church as the sun went down through the stained glass windows. That was pretty special.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I saw GY!BE once live right before Ascend came out at the Troc in Philly. and I saw Mogwai at what was called Club Polaris. I was set to see Caspian last April but then COVID.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Same, I was going to see Caspian in Durham, NC last year and also meet up with a friend I haven't seen in years, but welp.

I guess it was sometime in 2019, I saw that Jakob was opening for Alice In Chains in Auckland, and I actually considered purchasing a $1400 plane ticket to go see them.

I've never been to a post-rock show. I've only been to 3 concerts total, due to Social Anxiety Disorder and other head issues that keep me isolated and miserable at home. Lockdown/quarantine is actually very similar to my normal life.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 11, 2021

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Mogwai played at one of my first ever shows at 12 and I barely even remember it

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

I think part of the issue is the way it was recorded or produced. Everything sounds very compressed for some reason.

"I'm not a producer" Steve Albini recorded it. People either really like the way his records sound or they hate them. Not much in between.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

WaryWarren posted:

"I'm not a producer" Steve Albini recorded it. People either really like the way his records sound or they hate them. Not much in between.

Oh yeah that's right. I hate that guy lol, but he's recorded a few good albums.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lazerwolf posted:

I like motherfucker=redeemer(cont.)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Albini rocks but GBYE really isn't the kind of music he should be producing

That said I love Yanqui

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah his "just put mics up and hit record" has noticeable limitations whenever he records a band with more than like 4 members

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have two Albini Albums™ in my library.

Nirvana's In Utero sounds amazing and his style was a perfect match for what the band was trying to do.

Failure's Comfort, on the other hand... The drums sound ok but there's almost zero effects on the guitar and bass and this is a band whose magnum opus (Fantastic Planet) lays it on thick. Comfort is a real dud production-wise. Those songs were also meant to contain Greg Edwards' fretless Wal bass (I've heard the demos and they are amazing), but before recording he had frets put on it (a mistake, IMO).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Albini albums that are notably good, from memory:

In Utero
Rid of Me
Gub by Pigface
Surfer Rosa (which, funnily enough, he removed his producing credit from because it's a "pinched off loaf from a college band")
Pod by The Breeders (one of my top 10 albums of ALL TIME, "Iris" loving slays)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Shellac's albums
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Jesus Lizard - Goat
Silkworm - Firewater
The Wedding Present - Seamonsters
Melt Banana - Scratch or Stitch

Dude has produced a ton of good stuff

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Low - Things We Lost in the Fire
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas
Joanna Newsom - Ys*
Mogwai - My Father My King
GBV - Under the Bushes Under the Stars*

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 14, 2021

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, could easily put up a few satisfactory desert island disc lists from stuff he's recorded, but outside of maybe Dirty Three none of it sounds remotely like GYBE. i'm not a musician, but i love watching videos of him working in the studio, too

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Low - Things We Lost in the Fire
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas
Joanna Newsom - Ys*
Mogwai - My Father My King
GBV - Under the Bushes Under the Stars*

I found the other person on earth who knows who McLusky is!!!

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Wasn't at least one Mono record produced by Albini?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

McLusky rocks Future of the Left also rocks

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

polynominal-c posted:

Wasn't at least one Mono record produced by Albini?

yeah; it might even be two releases

Simone Magus posted:

Do Dallas would be on my Albini-only list

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mclusky Do Dallas 20th anniversary tour next year, gently caress yeah.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
If anyone here's into the Bristol math rock/post-rock scene, I'm reairing a conversation I had with Poly-Math tomorrow at 1pm EST here: https://www.iheart.com/live/wmsc-7091/

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
dunno where I saw the recommendation, but this has been an awesome first listen for me so I had to share it
https://bruitofficial.bandcamp.com/album/the-machine-is-burning-and-now-everyone-knows-it-could-happen-again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum Shart posted:

dunno where I saw the recommendation, but this has been an awesome first listen for me so I had to share it
https://bruitofficial.bandcamp.com/album/the-machine-is-burning-and-now-everyone-knows-it-could-happen-again

Gee I wonder if that title is a reference to anything hmmm HMMMMM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yanqui UXO is not bad.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Jehde posted:

Yanqui UXO is not bad.

I listened to it recently

It's not bad, but it's not good either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's my least favorite GYBE album, that being said it's pretty good.