Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BMan posted:

Yeah that cobra dragon is like... why would I ever use a fighter over this?

fixed

Seriously, the dragon is as fast and nimble as a S fighter with huge amounts of firepower and better shielding/hp.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah the Dragon is the X4 Split ship that caught my eye when Vendetta first came out. I heard it was Zyarth only though, and gently caress the Patriarchy. I guess I can always steal one though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Split ships all look cool as hell, I love them

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zereth posted:

Any good mods which put the venture rewards into normal gameplay?

Having never taken part of ventures I have no idea what rewards are out there - I was under the impression you could get ship skins that way so I downloaded a mod off steam last night that adds all available skins ( faction skins and ones available as mission rewards ) as default options ( I also have one that adds new ones as a vendor ware so I have skins galore ).

Dragon chat.

The Dragon is a hell of a sweet looking Corvette and it's firepower is fantastic, but when I'm after a boat for capping SCA destroyers I need a boat that can take a few hits from missiles and L turrets, and Nemesis and Katana fits that role better. Modded with tier 3 mass and engine mods the Nemesis is a very nimble and capable fighter that's comparable to the Dragon but I can also put more Terran mk3 shields on it.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 13, 2021

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah the Dragon is the X4 Split ship that caught my eye when Vendetta first came out. I heard it was Zyarth only though, and gently caress the Patriarchy. I guess I can always steal one though.

The Dragon Raider is the one you want for maximum go fast with all of the firepower, and it's an FRF exclusive, not ZYA.

That said, abandon all moral high ground if you're dealing with the Split. The FRF is also a patriarchy and just as dirty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found "Aqueduct" parts in the Xenon sectors leading to the Yaki home sector and it seems like the implication is at least part of this is sectors from Rebirth? That's horrible lol, rip

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well then someone tell me how to get started cause I'm struggling to scrape up some starting cash. Is crystal mining pretty much it? I can't find many missions and the ones I do are poo poo like prospecting missions where I couldn't find the density they wanted at all, or scan a ship for energy cells where scanning ships just seemed to get station security after me (I guess I need a police license or something). Right now I'm just trying to gather up the few hundred thousand needed to hire someone to build the drat landing pad on the player HQ

Between the even clunkier interface, stuff that X3 had that seems to be missing (no "hop into spacesuit" hotkey, really?!), and other annoyances, I keep running into. I'm drat near about to shove this thing back into a dusty corner of my game library. Honestly part of me wonders if my memories of X3 are holding me back cause I keep trying to do things the way I did in X3 or making comparisons that turn out extremely wrong/different.

I think it definitely helps to just... ignore the X3 way, which is perhaps easier for me because I hated the interface in X3 and so I find this one a lot more bearable, even good in some ways.

I think the best way to get started early on is probably to beeline for conflict zones, xenon gates or the border between the HOP and other factions, and fly through the battles that break out at the start of the game and scavenge all the loot. Also consider dropping satellites and setting up alerts to tell you when major attacks happen (xenon capital ships in hatikvah's choice, etc) so you can head over there and scavenge. There are a bunch of inventory items you can find that take up no space but which sell for 100k each, they also drop fairly frequently from just random xenon fighter craft too so just shooting xenon can be quite profitable, if you do it near other factions stations they will pay you for it and eventually you can get a police license and get even more money and also start reporting your own bounties, so anywhere you fight in that faction's space should get you some cash.

The best missions to do, I think, are the passenger transport ones (just fly, dock, walk to the passenger, tell them to get on your ship (wait for them to do so) and then fly somewhere else. Boring but easy. I also pick up every mission I can that involves just standing bounties on xenon, khaak, or SCA, because they're basically something you'll be shooting anyway so you might as well get paid for it. Mine destruction missions are also fairly easy, just fly over and blow them up, don't get too close.

Basically the trick is to avoid missions with conditions because while you can usually complete them it's often far more trouble than it's worth and it's often luck of the draw whether or not you can do it quickly or if it takes forever. Prospecting missions can be doable but the easiest way to do it is to already have the probes in place and then take missions you know you can complete (you have to drop another probe there but you at least know exactly where to go)

Later on stuff like station building missions and ware supply missions are also fine but early on you probably don't have the resources to do them.

Fundamentally the best way to make money in the game is war and industry. Blowing stuff up can get you paid, building stuff to help other people blow stuff up also gets you paid. Probably the first thing I would suggest to get is a mining ship and set it to sector mine in Grand Exchange or another sector with lots of refining industry and rocks to mine. It will dig up rocks and sell them for you and you get paid. Use the money to buy more miners. From there you want to break into station building which you can do with the PHQ as your main station, it's in a good location and will be useful the whole game.

The first hump to getting your first ships up and running can be tough, but it's much faster than it was in X3, and IMO it is also more fun because you can get into building your first passive income generators much faster.

RBA Starblade posted:

I found "Aqueduct" parts in the Xenon sectors leading to the Yaki home sector and it seems like the implication is at least part of this is sectors from Rebirth? That's horrible lol, rip

There are aqeducts all over the place in X4, no idea why other than "we had a cool asset and wanted to put it everywhere"

Allegedly they are antiquated water harvesting infrastructure but in practice it's just asset reuse.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 13, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's more reassuring lol, the Xenon sectors are spooky

I now have the Big Boy and I'm saving the Yaki from themselves - I have missions to war AND build with and the galaxy is mostly at peace except the Split, who are tearing themselves apart with help from the Xenon lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 13, 2021

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah X4 really streamlined the jump to automation and empire. I rarely ever managed to scrape together enough to build stations consistently in X3 but a handful of miners bankrolled me into multiple stations here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Boso Ta, this IS NOT Grand Exchange I!!!

[edit] I flew back through and it dumped me in Black Hole Sun IV... I was in Antigone Memorial? Are these things semi-random? Can they have a different destination either way? I thought they were basically 2 way wormholes.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 13, 2021

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Boso Ta, this IS NOT Grand Exchange I!!!

[edit] I flew back through and it dumped me in Black Hole Sun IV... I was in Antigone Memorial? Are these things semi-random? Can they have a different destination either way? I thought they were basically 2 way wormholes.

Random from what I remember. I with they had a chance of dumping you in a Kha'ak sector or one with a giant Goner ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are random yes, generally you want to just fly through them and drop nav beacons every time you find a new sector, if you're keen on using them.

Satellites would be helpful except you can't pick where you're going so it's just bad luck if it dumps you in a pile of xenon.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

During my current playthrough, the drat thing dumped me out in Scale Plate Green and I was in a Kestrel. Goddamn it, Boso Ta.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There are more wormholes other than the one in the plot?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ughhhh posted:

There are more wormholes other than the one in the plot?

There are a lot more, yes, they are all randomly connected to each other, using one for the plot I believe takes you to grand exchange but you can fly back through it and it will jump you through random sectors.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Anybody tried to make single product refinery stations who then act as a store for other complexes to pick from ?
I think it would solve the problem of stupid miners focusing on 1 ressource while the station need more of the other.
It would also probably reduce the number of required miners. On the other hand you would need transport ships to go from the refinery stations to the manufacturing one.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Krogort posted:

Anybody tried to make single product refinery stations who then act as a store for other complexes to pick from ?
I think it would solve the problem of stupid miners focusing on 1 ressource while the station need more of the other.
It would also probably reduce the number of required miners. On the other hand you would need transport ships to go from the refinery stations to the manufacturing one.

Currently setting that up now in Neopolpipiswhatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Should I be using boresight fire or the mouse cursor fire for shooting when dogfighting and the aim assist? I can't remember how it goes in X3 and it might not be the same in X4 anyways, but mouse cursor fire seems hilariously inaccurate most of the time.

Also things are finally starting to work out. I've got a half dozen miners doing silcon in The Void and Grand Exchange that are bringing in a modest flow of cash. Up to 2.5 million. What'd be a reliable investment after maybe a couple more miners?

[edit] Oh yeah, where does the Hatikvah questline start? I got the comm message about them needing people but I checked out Hatikvah's Choice (including the faction rep station) and didn't see anything obvious.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 13, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Every game start is a little different, so you'll have to find shortages yourself. Hull part stations are a good staple and don't take too many intermediaries.

In my game barely anyone produces turret components, so even a bare turret component fab was printing money.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lol, just noticed there was an abandoned Cerberus Sentinel just sitting in the center of Antigone Memorial. Antigone has been getting Kha'ak raids, did the crew bail or maybe this was just one of those findable derelicts? I kinda assume the former cause it really was right near the heart of the sector and not exactly hidden.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

timn posted:

That said, abandon all moral high ground if you're dealing with the Split. The FRF is also a patriarchy and just as dirty.
Dehumanize yourself and face to capitalism. Trade with anybody who has money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Should I be using boresight fire or the mouse cursor fire for shooting when dogfighting and the aim assist? I can't remember how it goes in X3 and it might not be the same in X4 anyways, but mouse cursor fire seems hilariously inaccurate most of the time.

Also things are finally starting to work out. I've got a half dozen miners doing silcon in The Void and Grand Exchange that are bringing in a modest flow of cash. Up to 2.5 million. What'd be a reliable investment after maybe a couple more miners?

[edit] Oh yeah, where does the Hatikvah questline start? I got the comm message about them needing people but I checked out Hatikvah's Choice (including the faction rep station) and didn't see anything obvious.

I don't think cursor fire locks on, boresight fire will cause your guns to try and gimbal towards your target (indicated by the small pips that move around the targeting area) and you need to sort of... arrange it so that your ship is moving smoothly inline with your target because unlike X3 they don't gimbal perfectly.

HAT quest requires you to dock at their trading station and speak to a special person who has an office, if you set the mission to active it should give you directions.

As mentioned I also would recommend hull parts as a starter (be aware the teladi have their own production chain for them and it isn't interchangeable with the one everyone else uses, so be careful with what your blueprints demand/produce.) It mostly requires just ore and energy, with the intermediate step of ore going into refined metal plates, and you can buy in a bit of graphene so you don't have to worry about making that yourself, basically it's an excuse to jam energy cells into ore to make RMP and then more cellls into RMP + graphene to make hull plates.

If you go the teladi route you use teladianium instead of RMP but I think it's broadly the same, just a silly lore difference. If you get an RMP and hull part fab blueprint you can set up some all in one hull part fabs easily, solid storage to deliver ore in, 2 hull part fabs to every 1 RMP fab more or less, and some solar panels to produce energy, set up a buy order for your graphene and then shovel in ore at one end and get hull parts out the other end, very little monetary input required at that point, it just turns ore into more valuable materials that you can sell to any shipyard or station under construction (or use to construct your own stations)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 13, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

Basically the trick is to avoid missions with conditions because while you can usually complete them it's often far more trouble than it's worth and it's often luck of the draw whether or not you can do it quickly or if it takes forever. Prospecting missions can be doable but the easiest way to do it is to already have the probes in place and then take missions you know you can complete (you have to drop another probe there but you at least know exactly where to go)

I always grab those missions because I have a npc kestrel nearby with a handful of probes. Just pick them up and drop them as needed. The NPC is pretty quick at it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Zereth posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to capitalism. Trade with anybody who has money.

Tim Curry was wrong. Space HAS been corrupted by capitalism.

... and I'm one of the people doing it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

There are a lot more, yes, they are all randomly connected to each other, using one for the plot I believe takes you to grand exchange but you can fly back through it and it will jump you through random sectors.

How do you find them? I haven't seen that yet

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you find them? I haven't seen that yet

The long range scanner will ping them as purple.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

The long range scanner will ping them as purple.

I ping that all over the place lol, I guess I'll see it sooner or later

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lol, just noticed there was an abandoned Cerberus Sentinel just sitting in the center of Antigone Memorial. Antigone has been getting Kha'ak raids, did the crew bail or maybe this was just one of those findable derelicts? I kinda assume the former cause it really was right near the heart of the sector and not exactly hidden.

During the mission where you help Boso Ta escape the Split, an abandoned frigate will spawn near the initial waypoint he has you fly to. The specific frigate that spawns will be different depending on what sector the mission takes place in, and that sector will be the one in which you first met Boso Ta by scanning a station leak. Presumably the free frigate is meant to be a reward/tutorial baked into PHQ quest line, but the game never actually acknowledges it. It just pops in for you stumble upon.

Also a fun fact, during that mission if you comm one of the Split patrols you can still see the old version of the Split model, complete with green skin and racially suspect facial features!

Edit: found a picture online in case anyone is really curious but doesn't want to go to the trouble. There are other variations too for males and females you can find in a google image search from before the Split DLC launched, and they are all certainly...something.

timn fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I ping that all over the place lol, I guess I'll see it sooner or later

The easiest way to find them is to find one and then just fly in and out of it repeatedly until it teleports you to a bunch more.

They aren't really... useful for anything, but if you like the novelty that's the best way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

timn posted:

During the mission where you help Boso Ta escape the Split, an abandoned frigate will spawn near the initial waypoint he has you fly to. The specific frigate that spawns will be different depending on what sector the mission takes place in, and that sector will be the one in which you first met Boso Ta by scanning a station leak. Presumably the free frigate is meant to be a reward/tutorial baked into PHQ quest line, but the game never actually acknowledges it. It just pops in for you stumble upon.

Also a fun fact, during that mission if you comm one of the Split patrols you can still see the old version of the Split model, complete with green skin and racially suspect facial features!

Edit: found a picture online in case anyone is really curious but doesn't want to go to the trouble. There are other variations too for males and females you can find in a google image search from before the Split DLC launched, and they are all certainly...something.

TOS klingons lol.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

timn posted:

I think Boso will mention it, though in my current game it never spawned for me, though I also showed up in a Nemesis and had a L parked near the gate for funsies.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The split are just weird generally, like they all seem to have weird DURR DURR ME STOOPID voices for some reason, I have no idea what accent they were going for but it just sounds like they're doing a particularly mean spirited impression of someone with a learning disability.

All of the line reads in the game are weird but the split just sound especially strange, in a "I have no idea what this voice is supposed to be" way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 13, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

The easiest way to find them is to find one and then just fly in and out of it repeatedly until it teleports you to a bunch more.

They aren't really... useful for anything, but if you like the novelty that's the best way.
Is there anything you can't get to normally or is impractical to find without goign to it by wromhole?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The split are just weird generally, like they all seem to have weird DURR DURR ME STOOPID voices for some reason, I have no idea what accent they were going for but it just sounds like they're doing a particularly mean spirited impression of someone with a learning disability.

All of the line reads in the game are weird but the split just sound especially strange, in a "I have no idea what this voice is supposed to be" way.

I definitely see what you mean with that one male Split voice in particular, but I actually think the voice work for the Split is pretty on point. They have a charming doofyness that makes them fit right into the game's light-hearted tone. They're kind of like comic relief villains in a children's cartoon. The whole game has that kind of hammy innocence to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My assumption with the Split was that the translator was bad at translating their language or that it otherwise just doesn't translate well to English

quote:

Is there anything you can't get to normally or is impractical to find without goign to it by wromhole?

I miss the Goner Mothership lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

Not that I can think of, everywhere in the game is just as accessible as everywhere else except for a couple of bits added in the DLC and they don't have wormholes in them as far as I know.

Even then there's nothing stopping you blasting through at 10km/s in travel mode.

Honestly while I like the travel drive a lot I really think the game desperately needs a way to stop ships using it within a volume of space.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Use a HOTAS!
It's pretty great, once you get it set up to your liking (you'll wanna rebind a lot of stuff, because the default profiles are a bit weird).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly while I like the travel drive a lot I really think the game desperately needs a way to stop ships using it within a volume of space.

Docking granted

Docking aborted

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My favorite voice so far is the paranid. I spent the first 75% of the game in Terran space and when I started on the PHQ quest suddenly there were a million darth vaders giving docking permission and asking me to pull over so my cargo could be scanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a good way to get rep with the Ministry of Finance by the way

They have very, very few stations so there's not much in the way of random missions to do or anything