Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

thetoughestbean posted:

Having a thing for Jones completely understandable and frankly I’m surprised that more characters aren’t interesting in her
Nobody wants to compete with Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So all of that happened before the beginning of the chapter, right? If I understand this right, we are still inside the "earlier". So basically Jines is asking ecery single person of note about Annie and her dad, before talking to each of them. Kinda rude.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That's how you conduct an experiment of this kind. You gather the outside evidence to create datapoints and trends and help you formulate your questions for the subjects.

Jones is an expert in observing things.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

thetoughestbean posted:

Having a thing for Jones completely understandable and frankly I’m surprised that more characters aren’t interesting in her

She's clearly supposed to be attractive but dating someone who insists they don't have emotions sound like a miserable experience tbh.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I wonder what Red thinks of all this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

YaketySass posted:

She's clearly supposed to be attractive but dating someone who insists they don't have emotions sound like a miserable experience tbh.

It depends. If it's, say, Spock, and he completely adores you and just won't admit it verbally, that's the ship that launched a million self-insert fanfic pairings. If it's an infinitely ancient being that legit straight up doesn't experience emotions and is just kinda going through the motions, then the entire relationship is based on their partner's projections and their own willingness to play along to keep from upsetting them. What's the relationship dynamic like with someone who remembers the lava cooling on this planet? Your entire existence is a nanosecond to them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

It depends. If it's, say, Spock, and he completely adores you and just won't admit it verbally, that's the ship that launched a million self-insert fanfic pairings. If it's an infinitely ancient being that legit straight up doesn't experience emotions and is just kinda going through the motions, then the entire relationship is based on their partner's projections and their own willingness to play along to keep from upsetting them. What's the relationship dynamic like with someone who remembers the lava cooling on this planet? Your entire existence is a nanosecond to them.

Unlike Mr. Radioactive Blueberry, Jones is not a once-human who was suddenly opened to the infinite possibilities of space-time. I kinda interpreted The Stone as Jones doesn't have emotions in the way humans have emotions. And given she has no other frame of reference for what emotions are, what would she classify things like curiosity as? She sees herself and her 'emotions' as fundamentally different from what humans call emotion because, well, they are. She's a bit like what a real world alien would be--what common ground is there between a life form the evolved untold light-years from Earth, under completely different conditions and with a completely different set of circumstances to inform their adaptation? How different from us would they be?

Otherwise where does her motivation to be around humans and observe their behavior and learn about them come from? Without some analog of what we call emotion, what motivation would Jones have to do anything? She doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, or do anything. Ever. There is certainly a projection problem, but anyone finding enough common ground here to love Jones is going to be an interesting case study in human-non-human relations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I would say that Mr. Shiny Blue Ding-Dong isn't really a good comparison to Jones, because outside of a few shallow similarities, she is a complete opposite of him. To borrow from the poster above, instead of being a "human who was suddenly opened to the infinite possibilities of space-time" and completely lost interest in humanity as a result, she is a being that observed the infinite possibilities of the space-time for literally millions of years and when she encountered humans, she decided that they are the most interesting thing that happened so far and went out of her way to observe them, comprehend them and interact with them.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I would say that Mr. Shiny Blue Ding-Dong isn't really a good comparison to Jones, because outside of a few shallow similarities, she is a complete opposite of him. To borrow from the poster above, instead of being a "human who was suddenly opened to the infinite possibilities of space-time" and completely lost interest in humanity as a result, she is a being that observed the infinite possibilities of the space-time for literally millions of years and when she encountered humans, she decided that they are the most interesting thing that happened so far and went out of her way to observe them, comprehend them and interact with them.

And wrassle house-sized buffalo for them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You know, rereading The Stone, I realize a few things about Jones that I didn't before. I think she definitely does have emotions, just maybe very very subdued ones / ones very different from ours. She contradicts herself throughout the chapter in subtle ways. She mentions that she prefers to let humans discover history and science on their own, yet explains to Annie her own history and the theory of how the ether worked to create her. She says she has no emotions at all, and yet she says she'd be honored to take on the names of people she's been close to. Yeah maybe she just did that to make them happy, but why would she want to do that if she had no emotions? We see her promise people that in private, sometimes as they lay dying - she had no reason to tell them that or even honor her promise of she truly had no emotions.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

You know, rereading The Stone, I realize a few things about Jones that I didn't before. I think she definitely does have emotions, just maybe very very subdued ones / ones very different from ours. She contradicts herself throughout the chapter in subtle ways. She mentions that she prefers to let humans discover history and science on their own, yet explains to Annie her own history and the theory of how the ether worked to create her. She says she has no emotions at all, and yet she says she'd be honored to take on the names of people she's been close to. Yeah maybe she just did that to make them happy, but why would she want to do that if she had no emotions? We see her promise people that in private, sometimes as they lay dying - she had no reason to tell them that or even honor her promise of she truly had no emotions.

Annie basically agrees https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1126

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think she definitely does have emotions, just maybe very very subdued ones / ones very different from ours. She contradicts herself throughout the chapter in subtle ways.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
That's a pretty common take on the emotionless character, yeah. Data from TNG's whole character is basically "I'm a robot and don't have any emotions, and that makes me very sad." While the crew gives him the side eye and a wry smile.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It's been years since I've seen it, but I still laugh every time I remember the Jones smiles gif ending with a mushroom cloud.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Making up false stories about honoring dead people is pretty good strategy to win people's trust, if you are a psychopath rock creature.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Making up false stories about honoring dead people is pretty good strategy to win people's trust, if you are a psychopath rock creature.

You know this is a good point.

Wonder if any of the stone is true

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

You know this is a good point.

Wonder if any of the stone is true

I think most of the comic is made up pal

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If Jones lie, we have to consider the possibility that she lied about Coyote never lying too, and we can't have that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

yeah actually they will posted:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
i hope the laser cows are true

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Jones just hangs around humans hoping they'll eventually figure out how to lug her into interplanetary space so she can see if her stone person soul mate is wandering around on Mars or Titan or something.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fecha posted:

i hope the laser cows are true

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Warmachine posted:

Unlike Mr. Radioactive Blueberry, Jones is not a once-human who was suddenly opened to the infinite possibilities of space-time. I kinda interpreted The Stone as Jones doesn't have emotions in the way humans have emotions. And given she has no other frame of reference for what emotions are, what would she classify things like curiosity as? She sees herself and her 'emotions' as fundamentally different from what humans call emotion because, well, they are. She's a bit like what a real world alien would be--what common ground is there between a life form the evolved untold light-years from Earth, under completely different conditions and with a completely different set of circumstances to inform their adaptation? How different from us would they be?

Otherwise where does her motivation to be around humans and observe their behavior and learn about them come from? Without some analog of what we call emotion, what motivation would Jones have to do anything? She doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, or do anything. Ever. There is certainly a projection problem, but anyone finding enough common ground here to love Jones is going to be an interesting case study in human-non-human relations.

Maybe she's fascinated by the fact that humans will form parasocial relationships with anything, even name brand social media accounts

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

yeah actually they will posted:

gently caress

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be real honest right now. I think Eglamore's beard is bad. Not a good look.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm gonna be real honest right now. I think Eglamore's beard is bad. Not a good look.

Agreed. It looks like the Jack rear end in charge of Twitter's beard.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Agreed. It looks like the Jack rear end in charge of Twitter's beard.

Jack?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
silly idra doesnt realize how important it is to atomize children away from their familes so that they better become consumers for capitalism

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Why is it a different color

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Fecha posted:

Why is it a different color

That's just how beards are

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
My beard is not only a different colour from my hair, but it has four distinct colours in it if you count grey.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

My beard is not only a different colour from my hair, but it has four distinct colours in it if you count grey.

Yeah, I won most colorful in grad school beard growing contest. Got white, gray, black, brown, red and blond all going on simultaneously.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

OgreNoah posted:

Yeah, I won most colorful in grad school beard growing contest. Got white, gray, black, brown, red and blond all going on simultaneously.

You should have been disqualified for going around and stealing other people’s beards, building a horrible beard Frankenstein

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My dad had dark hair with a very fine blond beard. He said people wouldn't notice until his face moved in the wind. I've got a lighter brown than my hair on the beard, and then my moustache is speckled brown/blond.

Hair does weird things, and sometimes it gets weirder as you age.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah my brothers beards are both more red than their head hair

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OgreNoah posted:

I've lost almost all my red to gray but yeah same

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I have two friends who have that exact "red/brown with white stripes" pattern of beard.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My beard is red with a couple light streaks at the chin. My mustache is blonde. My hair is brown. I’m like three people’s headhair stitched together.

I solved part of the problem by shaving my head because who has time for barbers in a pandemic but still.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Man, forget salt and pepper, some of y'all got a spice rub going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tupperwarez posted:

Man, forget salt and pepper, some of y'all got a spice rub going on.

Cajun-style