Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Peachfart posted:

So I tried watching Atlantis for the first time after loving SG-1 for years and I bounced off the first two episodes pretty hard. Does it get... better? It felt like a terrible cheap knockoff of SG-1.

the first season is rough imho

season 2 gets way more interesting & fun i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

It had that two-parter of Sheppard going ham which was very good.

Season 1 was mostly middling, but I'm fond of the early expedition vibe when they're cut off from Earth.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Peragus posted:

It had that two-parter of Sheppard going ham which was very good.

Season 1 was mostly middling, but I'm fond of the early expedition vibe when they're cut off from Earth.

Season 1 also had a pretty good ending that fed into sg1s season 8 end as well.

Fanaticism
Jan 7, 2019
Can't get over the SGA "let's catch a wraith for interrogation" bit where they get stun grenades and tasers.. should've packed zat'nik'tel for your expedition.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

putting this thread in the sarcophagus so it may rise once more

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I am still super annoyed that SGU ended the way it did. It had so much potential, and they had even written an ending for any season if they got canceled, but syfy waited until filming was done to cancel the series.

I guess they never came out of storage once Destiny crossed into the next galaxy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vortmax posted:

I am still super annoyed that SGU ended the way it did. It had so much potential, and they had even written an ending for any season if they got canceled, but syfy waited until filming was done to cancel the series.

I guess they never came out of storage once Destiny crossed into the next galaxy

It was worse than that. SyFy was allegedly open to renewing the show for a third season because it was finally finding its groove, and then MGM literally ran out of money as a studio entity, so they were the ones who begged SyFy to swing the axe on it because they were on the brink of bankruptcy and if Skyfall somehow flopped or under-preformed, then MGM was going to shutter for good. At least that's the story the head of SyFy at the time who made the call told the press in order to save face when a horde of angry Stargate fans began to batter down her inbox.

I'm not entirely sure I believe that myself, because SyFy of the late 00s through mid 10s was a particular brand of both stupid and scummy, like a John Hughes movie villain made into a televion network and board of executives. They were so loving dumb that killing SGU led to there being no actual first-run space-based science fiction television shows on their science fiction television network for like 4 years, at least.

SGU is going to be me one of my big unhealing TV open wounds and if I ever gained the power to rewrite reality, one of the bullet points on my list of things to change would be to give that show a full 7 season run plus a movie finale like SG-1 got.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was the point when they were starting to put wrestling and ghost hunting shows because it was cheap and popular rather than scripted shows right? Not to mention didn't NBC Universal also put some high school jock bro exec in charge who was all "science fiction is bad and for weird stinky nerds who don't have sex *shotguns a beer* can we put football on this channel?". Okay that's overstating but I do remember him being pretty down on the content of the channel. It's kinda hilarious in hindsight because very, very soon that stupid nerd stuff is going to be the biggest thing on earth and make billions.

I can totally believe that MGM may have wanted SGU canceled because they were in huge financial distress at the time, I fogot why, was it they leveraged their debt against future sales of their classic movies or something?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That was the point when they were starting to put wrestling and ghost hunting shows because it was cheap and popular rather than scripted shows right? Not to mention didn't NBC Universal also put some high school jock bro exec in charge who was all "science fiction is bad and for weird stinky nerds who don't have sex *shotguns a beer* can we put football on this channel?". Okay that's overstating but I do remember him being pretty down on the content of the channel. It's kinda hilarious in hindsight because very, very soon that stupid nerd stuff is going to be the biggest thing on earth and make billions.

I can totally believe that MGM may have wanted SGU canceled because they were in huge financial distress at the time, I fogot why, was it they leveraged their debt against future sales of their classic movies or something?

Yeah, SyFy hard passed on multiple pitches for several Star Trek shows, a live action Star Wars TV show, and cancelled The Expanse. All of which are now making dump truck convoys of money for Paramount, Disney, and Amazon, respectively, while Universal... Well, you can watch reruns of The Office and 30 Rock on their streaming platform now, right?

gently caress me, SyFy is/was duuuuuuumbp. Yes, with a p. Because they're that loving dumb.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Division 2 should be a Stargate video game, too bad we'll never get it

Though we're getting a Star Wars one :shrug:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Statutory Ape posted:

The Division 2 should be a Stargate video game, too bad we'll never get it

Though we're getting a Star Wars one :shrug:

Years ago at E3 they showed off a Stargate video game and it looked so great. Objective based squad FPS. They canceled it shortly thereafter.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bucnasti posted:

Years ago at E3 they showed off a Stargate video game and it looked so great. Objective based squad FPS. They canceled it shortly thereafter.

Teal'c actually gets stuck in it in a later season episode. The canceled Stargate MMO shows up in Universe, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, SyFy hard passed on multiple pitches for several Star Trek shows, a live action Star Wars TV show, and cancelled The Expanse. All of which are now making dump truck convoys of money for Paramount, Disney, and Amazon, respectively, while Universal... Well, you can watch reruns of The Office and 30 Rock on their streaming platform now, right?

gently caress me, SyFy is/was duuuuuuumbp. Yes, with a p. Because they're that loving dumb.

They can't really be blamed for not predicting in 2008 Iron Man would come out and be a huge hit and start a nerd poo poo renaissance and takeover. But what is unforgivable is them completely abandoning the branding of the channel and contributing to media homogenization.

Stargate would be perfect for a resurrection right now. It wouldn't be hard to make a new story with a new threat and a new reason to start up the Stargate Program. It already had both a serialized and episodic format, so they can easily work with that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

our irl timeline is the dark one, if we get another stargate, the main bad guys will be some new version of replicators.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Statutory Ape posted:

our irl timeline is the dark one, if we get another stargate, the main bad guys will be some new version of replicators.

Yea there's real monkey's paw potential there.

Also the guy who played Apothis was in the Expanse, briefly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

In all fairness it takes a minute to realize the show is really about 3 friends playing a game of co op with each other and also sometimes including their Scottish friend <3

Yet another victim of cancer

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yet another victim of cancer

I wasn't 100% sure you were referencing his unfortunate tumor in the show and got scared for a moment and thought the actor died when i wasnt looking

(the actor is ok)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Was this before or during the time period where Sci-Fi/SyFy had a bunch of wrestling on?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Was this before or during the time period where Sci-Fi/SyFy had a bunch of wrestling on?

Atlantis ran concurrent with Battlestar Galactica and ended around the same time. SG-1, BSG, and Atlantis all going off the air 1-2-3 was the start of the death spiral. Immediately after BSG ended they announced their SfFy rebrand.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
This is the big ad they were running during the change from SciFi to Syfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I34JWCY74w

At least it introduced me to Goldfrapp!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vortmax posted:

This is the big ad they were running during the change from SciFi to Syfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I34JWCY74w

At least it introduced me to Goldfrapp!

That looked like an old overly-long, overly-pretentious movie theater pre-show ad for a new car or phone. The type where you don't know what it's even selling until they reveal the product at the end.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
SyFy Imagine
Fantasy fragrance
For him/for her

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Today's episode of SG-1 (6-11: Prometheus) starts with the SGC illegally spying on an American journalist. Nobody bats an eye, not even Quinn or Carter.

Good to see them going for a more realistic depiction of the US military.

Edit: episode did own tho

OutsideAngel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 30, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

They can't really be blamed for not predicting in 2008 Iron Man would come out and be a huge hit and start a nerd poo poo renaissance and takeover. But what is unforgivable is them completely abandoning the branding of the channel and contributing to media homogenization.

Stargate would be perfect for a resurrection right now. It wouldn't be hard to make a new story with a new threat and a new reason to start up the Stargate Program. It already had both a serialized and episodic format, so they can easily work with that.

Brad Wright has been talking for a while about a new show in the same continuity in development, but who knows when covid will permit actual production.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

star gatin'
across the universe
having fun at SG-1
macguyver's a jerk

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
theeeeere's jaffas in the B.C. quarry,
B.C. quarry, B.C. quarry,
there's jaffas in the B.C. quarry,
shoot 'em now, o'neill!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Goblin Craft posted:

Brad Wright has been talking for a while about a new show in the same continuity in development, but who knows when covid will permit actual production.

It and B5 really could come back and just pick up where the old shows left off.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Reboot sg1 imho

What's ryan Reynolds up to?

Too bad bernie mac is dead, he'd be a great general hammond

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Post your worst sg1 reboot cast

O'Neill - Sam Worthington
Daniel - the Jewish guy from big bang theory
Carter - chick who plays Hillary Clinton on SNL
Teal'c - Jaden Smith

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

You said worst sg-1 cast not worst cast ever no one will even film.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

O'Neill - Eric Andre
Daniel - Benedict Cumberbatch
Carter - Emma Watson
Teal'c - Jimmy O Yang
General Hammond - Jimmy Kimmel

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

O'Neill - Robert Downey Jr
Jackson - Mark Ruffalo
Carter - Scarlett Johansson
Teal'c - Samuel L Jackson
Hammond - Old Chris Evans

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
O'Neill - Dane Cook
Jackson - CJ Miller
Carter - Lena Dunham
Teal'c - Aziz Ansari
Hammond - Louis CK

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

eminem as teal'c

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Instead of a voice modulator, Eddie Murphy does a spooky alien voice for all Goa'uld.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

O'Neill - Eric Andre
Daniel - Benedict Cumberbatch
Carter - Emma Watson
Teal'c - Jimmy O Yang
General Hammond - Jimmy Kimmel

this sounds like it would actually own, in the exact way that this scene is incredible

https://i.imgur.com/G7VNPbj.gifv

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It and B5 really could come back and just pick up where the old shows left off.

Yes please. The B5 finale straight up takes place 20 years after the main body of the show, Just Do It.

And Atlantis never resolved the Wraith, Destiny in SGU was going dark for a while between galaxies, bring them all back.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jazerus posted:

this sounds like it would actually own, in the exact way that this scene is incredible

That's the worst theremin playing I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jazerus posted:

God when if first watched Sherlock i really liked it, but then i rewatched it last summer because I had not watched the last season, and yea, the first season has some pretty great stuff going on, but poo poo like that is just wacky and totally out of character for any version of Holmes. It's very much in the autism is magic kind of filming that I'm sure people on the spectrum find insulting.

Honestly, its probably more Martin Freeman than anything.

I know a lot of people at the time hated that by the end of SG1, Earth was a galactic power but honestly, I loved it. It was a great journey to see earth completely outmatched by an ancient and technological empire but pulling wins out that built more and more until boom, they're on their power level.