Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Hellian absolutely rules.

Alhazred posted:

Reaper's Gale is, even by malazan standards, an endless slog of misery.

Think I mentioned this upthread, but I'm reading Deadhouse Gates to my wife at the moment, and while it may have more high points than Reapers Gale, I still think it's the most depressing - the amount of references to children and babies not just killed but tortured slowly to death is I think much higher than any other book and makes it pretty unpleasant at times. Still a great book, but yeah... I think the point about random cruelty and malice towards those "different" could have been made without quite so many babies on spits, children with multilated faces slowly dying on a cross and Jaghut children with their bones smashed then pinned under rocks, then their father stuck in unending, eternal, parental grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Wolfsheim posted:

people love beak but hellian carries that book

easily a top three character imho

I love that one book that ends with her replacement back on Kartool who absolutely loves spiders

Huh, I don’t remember that part!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Hellian absolutely rules.

Think I mentioned this upthread, but I'm reading Deadhouse Gates to my wife at the moment, and while it may have more high points than Reapers Gale, I still think it's the most depressing - the amount of references to children and babies not just killed but tortured slowly to death is I think much higher than any other book and makes it pretty unpleasant at times. Still a great book, but yeah... I think the point about random cruelty and malice towards those "different" could have been made without quite so many babies on spits, children with multilated faces slowly dying on a cross and Jaghut children with their bones smashed then pinned under rocks, then their father stuck in unending, eternal, parental grief.

Deadhouse is a really grim book overall and I think all of that helps to make the fate of the Chain of Dogs not feel like this one off moment of galactic cruelty. The world is a loving lovely nightmare, and you let yourself get your hopes up for these people against all reason, all evidence to the contrary, and you get brought back down hard.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Worse, it’s our world. Erikson didn’t need to invent things, his background gave him plenty of examples of insane, and unnecessary cruelty we’ve inflicted on one another.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Josh Christ posted:

Deadhouse is a really grim book overall and I think all of that helps to make the fate of the Chain of Dogs not feel like this one off moment of galactic cruelty. The world is a loving lovely nightmare, and you let yourself get your hopes up for these people against all reason, all evidence to the contrary, and you get brought back down hard.

True, and the way Coltaine etc are "rewarded" is one the of the grimmest things about it - not necessarily because it's gruesome (though of course it is), but particularly in the terms of the sheer injustice, in light of their insane heroics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

people love beak but hellian carries that book

Beak is pretty much ruined as a character because god forbid that there was one person in the malazan books that weren't sexually abused.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Alhazred posted:

Beak is pretty much ruined as a character because god forbid that there was one person in the malazan books that weren't sexually abused.

Yeah I agree that Erikson over-uses sexual assault in his books. It's one of the main things that make me hesitate in recommending them to people.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I agree that Erikson over-uses sexual assault in his books. It's one of the main things that make me hesitate in recommending them to people.

A lot of intensely unpleasant stuff happens in this series and it can make it a tough read at times. I’ve re-read these books several times now because I’m insane but it can be a challenge to make it through some stuff even though I get why it’s in there and is valuable to the story.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
(Midnight Tides) Seren Padac's is the one that stands out to me as unnecessary, I don't think you really need it to underline how much despair she's in after Buruk kills himself and the war begins, I don't think you need it in order to establish that she can use Mockra, and I really don't think you need to pump up how great and noble Iron Bars and Corlo are, especially because I don't think they show up again in the main series. (On the other hand, maybe that's why you need it.) I don't know that the trope is overused across the series compared to the other flavors of atrocity he uses (although I haven't done the math and could absolutely be convinced) but at least he doesn't use it in a prurient way.

I just finished MT, fittingly enough; this is my third time through the series and it really does read better when you have an idea of when things happen and what the overall structure of the books are, especially because MT is when I feel like the books get less self-contained and more plot threads feel like they're setting up stuff for future books.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite part of Beak's story is that of all the possible soldiers to help him come out of his shell, it's Faradan loving Sort.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CaptainRat posted:

(Midnight Tides) Seren Padac's is the one that stands out to me as unnecessary, I don't think you really need it to underline how much despair she's in after Buruk kills himself and the war begins, I don't think you need it in order to establish that she can use Mockra, and I really don't think you need to pump up how great and noble Iron Bars and Corlo are, especially because I don't think they show up again in the main series. (On the other hand, maybe that's why you need it.) I don't know that the trope is overused across the series compared to the other flavors of atrocity he uses (although I haven't done the math and could absolutely be convinced) but at least he doesn't use it in a prurient way.

I think i'ts over-used as a means to add "depth and character" to female characters, even though SE is better talking about it than much of the genre...that's a really really low bar to get over.

He's one of the few who actually has male characters also be the victims of sexual assault but it's not nearly even and not given the same gravity.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

CaptainRat posted:

I just finished MT, fittingly enough; this is my third time through the series and it really does read better when you have an idea of when things happen and what the overall structure of the books are, especially because MT is when I feel like the books get less self-contained and more plot threads feel like they're setting up stuff for future books.

To be honest, that’s the one that got me too and I don’t think it really adds to that character’s story very much. Seemed tacked on.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Jaxyon posted:

I think i'ts over-used as a means to add "depth and character" to female characters, even though SE is better talking about it than much of the genre...that's a really really low bar to get over.

Yeah, absolutely, grading on a curve means Erikson stands out from the crowd. Even so, he's got a pattern with the trope where the victim is rarely the one who takes retribution. To be fair this fits with the rest of the series, where victims of all types of cruelty are rarely the ones who get to retaliate against the perpetrators, if the perpetrators even face consequences at all (Mallick Rel you motherfucker) but because that's already a pattern with sexual assault specifically in all types of media, where it's a tragic backstory for a woman but ultimately character development for a man, it grates more than, say, the end of the Chain of Dogs or (Reaper's Gale) Quick Ben taking out Sirryn Kanar).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Worse, it’s our world. Erikson didn’t need to invent things, his background gave him plenty of examples of insane, and unnecessary cruelty we’ve inflicted on one another.

For all the complaints about violence, including sexual, in Eriksons books, they are relatively tame compared to the last 100 years of human history (excluding Kallor destroying a continent).

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 13, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Cardiac posted:

For all the complaints about violence including sexual in eriksons boos, it is relatively tame compared to the last 100 years of human history (excluding Kallor destroying a continent).

No argument there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So that Ten Very Big Books podcast is pretty great.

I appreciate the pronunciation guide at the end of the first interview ... but steve, man, please decide between "tisst" and "tighst" b/c he's going long-I in this podcast but someone earlier here posted him going with short-I and no 'e' sound at the end.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My recollection is he generally goes with the latter (long "i" version) of those. Both are different from what I use, and by the time I learned this and some other correct pronunciations I had wrong, they were too embedded to really change, especially given I had also established them with my wife when reading to her.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cardiac posted:

For all the complaints about violence, including sexual, in Eriksons books, they are relatively tame compared to the last 100 years of human history (excluding Kallor destroying a continent).

Not sure how this relates but if we're gonna do this, the past 100 years of human history is relatively tame in terms of Dragons compared to Erikson's books.

:smuggo:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So that Ten Very Big Books podcast is pretty great.

I appreciate the pronunciation guide at the end of the first interview ... but steve, man, please decide between "tisst" and "tighst" b/c he's going long-I in this podcast but someone earlier here posted him going with short-I and no 'e' sound at the end.

This is one reason I can't do audio books much.

I have every pronounciation from Wheel of Time wrong in my head. Malazan doesn't stand a chance.

I am so bad at it that I am not sure I am pronouncing Beak and Fiddler right.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am so bad at it that I am not sure I am pronouncing Beak and Fiddler right.

Bee-ahk

Fithler

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Not sure how this relates but if we're gonna do this, the past 100 years of human history is relatively tame in terms of Dragons compared to Erikson's books.

:smuggo:

Not if you count in Dragoons.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It kind of fades over time for me. I read the complete Malazan over the course of last year and I remember being a bit shocked by all the sexual assault but now I remember the whole 10 books with nothing but fondness.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Poor Hedge.
Gets repeatedly raped by Detoran and even his squadmates are all "Yeah, he probably likes it?"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hexel posted:

It kind of fades over time for me. I read the complete Malazan over the course of last year and I remember being a bit shocked by all the sexual assault but now I remember the whole 10 books with nothing but fondness.

:chloe:

Cardiac posted:

Not if you count in Dragoons.

My point being is that it's fantasy, realism is out the door and comparing to the real world is kind of silly. It's a book. The author has a choice to what he puts in.

Just like people justify rape in GRRM books by saying "well historically that would happen" sure but historically dragons and ice zombies didn't so lets not pretend the historical comparison matters. The author gets to decide how much "real world accuracy" goes on and does it in the modern context.

kingturnip posted:

Poor Hedge.
Gets repeatedly raped by Detoran and even his squadmates are all "Yeah, he probably likes it?"

Yeah male rape is played for laughs more than once and never seems to be used for ~characterization~ purposes. Udinaas is the exception I can think of.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished Midnight Tides this morning. I was hesitant going into it. A whole new world? All new characters (except for one)?

It was the fastest I've finished a book in the series so far. I absolutely loved it. Might be my favorite so far. Tehol and Bugg's insane conversations rule. I would read entire books of just those two talking.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

My point being is that it's fantasy, realism is out the door and comparing to the real world is kind of silly. It's a book. The author has a choice to what he puts in.
Just like people justify rape in GRRM books by saying "well historically that would happen" sure but historically dragons and ice zombies didn't so lets not pretend the historical comparison matters. The author gets to decide how much "real world accuracy" goes on and does it in the modern context.

So you are ok with the genocide, torture, murder and cannibalism then?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cardiac posted:

So you are ok with the genocide, torture, murder and cannibalism then?

No. Where would you get that idea?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

No. Where would you get that idea?

Everyone is saying you are a genocidal maniac...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Saying that the author chooses what to write about is not an inherent endorsement of ideas even if you like the work. I like the Wasp Factory but I'm not gonna cut anyone's dick off.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Chapter one of The God is Not Willing is currently available for free on the publisher's website: https://www.tor.com/2021/06/01/exce...VW0jTUNVDh-91yo

Introduces a bunch of new marines (and one old one), looks promising!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
lol at a bunch of marines arguing over "The Idiot Attack" on Silver lake

It's interesting to see the state of the Malazan world ~10 years after TCG. Karsa lives in a hut outside Darujhistan and beats up any would-be followers, which just attracts more of them. Also seems like Moranth munitions haven't been used by Malazans for over 10 years. Presumably the Moranth stopped trading them after Paran raided their warehouse in TCG.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I barely remember anything from HoC or I guess reaper's gale where Karsa shows up again in Darujhistan. Gonna have to reread everything maybe.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I liked it! The Marines were the best part of the Malazan books. The dandy Captain is an interesting choice, and while it strayed somewhat into camp I liked that he showed some grit as well.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Chapter 2 of The God is Not Willing is up for free on Tor's site

https://www.tor.com/2021/06/08/excerpts-steven-erikson-malazan-the-god-is-not-willing-chapter-two/

I liked the part where the edgy mage-assassin realized she wasn't a genius for coming up with the idea of being both a mage and assassin, and that the Claw was filled with them

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter Three is also up https://www.tor.com/2021/06/15/excerpts-steven-erikson-malazan-the-god-is-not-willing-chapter-three/

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the chapters, they really got me hooked.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Anyone know how to get a UK ebook copy in the US when this is released? It seems so stupid to have to wait 4 months between the UK and US releases in 2021.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Wait wtf it comes out next month in the UK? I thought the November publishing date was for everyone. I'm definitely not waiting that long, then.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They used to be very far apart but as the main ten continued they began to coincide better. No idea why TOR would start sitting on them again. If you're gonna import I strongly recommend Munro's in Victoria BC so you can get them signed by Steve for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I also want the book more than the hardcover, to be honest. Very frustrating that the only way to read it on a Kindle will be to pirate it unless you want to wait 4 extra months.