Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Didn't believers claim the Uninty Wreckage? Also I know that if you are somewhat savvy the believers have a huge advantage to psi-combat and can harvest fungus boils, but I doubt they are doing enough eco-damage to reliably create massive boils yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Didn't believers claim the Uninty Wreckage? Also I know that if you are somewhat savvy the believers have a huge advantage to psi-combat and can harvest fungus boils, but I doubt they are doing enough eco-damage to reliably create massive boils yet.

pirates built a base adjacent to the wreckage, unless it's first to discover it?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also noticed that smoka has built a base...ON LAND!!!

clearly done to lay claim to the U.N.S. Unity Wreckage, nice move

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ah I thought it was believers. Well you need a unit to actually walk through the wreckage then you'll find the axillary reactor which is 250credits. You can also find a unity chopper which is the most power unit in the game until Air Power is discovered.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pirates built a base adjacent to the wreckage, unless it's first to discover it?

someone else discovered it, but I claim the wreckage for pirates as a crashed ship site, and thus it's neutral pirate territory and under various pirate control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRjt4rCymM

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

piracy is the second coolest crime (regicide is the #1 coolest crime)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

piracy is the second coolest crime (regicide is the #1 coolest crime)

can't get hanged for piracy when everyone is being eaten by worms!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

space justice!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

save me (who has the save)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m an idiot I’ve had it forever but didn’t see it in my email

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

that's the same excuse i give to my employer!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it’s great we work with each other so I can walk to your desks and ask if you’ve seen my slack about the email I sent you last week

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

somebody setup the SMACk

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

sorry, I usually PM you but it looks like I actually didn't do that this time

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pile Of Garbage posted:

somebody setup the SMACk

Nice!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Glorgnole posted:

sorry, I usually PM you but it looks like I actually didn't do that this time

blame shifted

I’ll send it after work

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The save hath been passed

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The save hath been passed

may its passing cleanse the world

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Who's the turn taker for the incapacitated or unable? I had laser eye surgery and would appreciate if the turn taker would take my turn whenever it arrives. Thanks in advance.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Who's the turn taker for the incapacitated or unable? I had laser eye surgery and would appreciate if the turn taker would take my turn whenever it arrives. Thanks in advance.

i can be the backup turn taker if it's acceptable for you

hope your eyes heal up nicely, op

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Boiled Water posted:

hope your eye lasers work out

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
glorgnole will do your save, they did mine once when I was on vacation

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorgnole posted:

i can be the backup turn taker if it's acceptable for you

hope your eyes heal up nicely, op

thanks and I’m sure there’s nothing to gently caress up

I could probably even use some pointers on what’s going wrong

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

so you finally researched Applied Physics, aye?

(i hope your surgery went well)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 1, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i finally applied physics to my eyes

it went incredibly well, thanks

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

thanks and I’m sure there’s nothing to gently caress up

I could probably even use some pointers on what’s going wrong

save snet

there are some issues that are p easy to fix, but other things will take a few turns to work through while stuff builds. i made some tweaks to your social engineering, worker assignments, and a couple of build orders. the gaian gov't will reimburse you for the upheaval energy cost if it doesn't work out. i'm just gonna write it up here because it's kinda interesting.

a couple bases aren't working like they're supposed to. for example:

if we track down the hierarchy of the problems, it's basically
- too many drones
- need to have lots of workers set as doctors to prevent riots
- not enough resources being produced -- low minerals makes production take a long time, an there's hunger due to too little food
- high inefficiency further reduces how much of the produced energy goes to income and research

the believer social engineering setup is like this right now:

the Free Market economics choice has a really high penalty to the Police effect, which prevents your garrison units from mitigating drones and penalizes you if you go on military expeditions. the big bonus to the Economy effect can help offset this by increasing energy production to pay for drone-removing base facilities, but to get the most direct benefit you've gotta spend some of your energy income on Psych, which directly goes towards making drones happy.

the Police State politics choice has a bonus for the Police effect, but it isn't high enough to offset the big penalty from Free Market. the Efficiency penalty directly reduces energy income at your bases. the Support bonus is really only helpful if you have lots of units, which the Believers don't have (yet!).

Wealth is a good choice since you want to grow by making lots of money and producing stuff faster. the Morale penalty isn't important right now because you're not in a toe-to-toe war with anyone, and the Believers have a natural bonus to offense which helps offset this.

one way to get stuff working better is to increase your Efficiency to maximize your energy income, and then change the energy expenditure at the bottom to put some energy towards Psych. this means that workers producing energy help reduce drones, so you don't need as many doctors and can focus on production.

i went ahead and started you on this path. i changed from Police State to Democratic (nice Growth and Efficiency bonuses, and the Believers' natural Support bonus offsets the new penalty) and put 20% of your energy towards Psych. your overall income and research are about the same after this due to the efficiency improvement.

here's the same base after those changes:

- higher efficiency minimizes lost energy, so you get 10 energy to work with instead of 4.
- the 20% Psych allocation uses 2 energy, which is enough to get rid of a drone on its own.
- we can turn a doctor back into a worker and have them harvest some nutrients, which stops the famine and gets the base growing again.
- the remaining energy goes towards boosting your research and energy income, which will help build momentum over time.

another thing i noticed is that your terraforming is really focused on farms and solar panels, so your mineral income is very low. at this stage you should be planting forests, which are more balanced and spread on their own. a good overall plan is to build forests in dry and moist tiles, build farms on rainy tiles to boost nutrients, and save solar panels for very high-altitude tiles where they'll produce the most energy (i think they get +1 energy per 1000m of elevation gain).

you should also build some more formers and have them plant lots of forests on marginal tiles, and then use the increased mineral production to build more colony pods. a sea pod would be a great choice since you've got this wonderful kelp forest south of your main area. you've just gotta get your overall level of production up since things are stagnant and probably not very fun for you right now, and a good way to do that is to get more peeps.

i think i tend to play this game in a specific way a lot of the time, which certainly colors my interpretation of this sort of thing. someone who's more familiar with Advanced SMAC Methods can probably come in and give better suggestions.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

on the other hand Police State / Free Market / Wealth gives excellent prosperity gospel faction flavor, so it might be worth a revisit once your economy's in a better place

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

god drat Glorgnole you do the best write-ups! IMO you should get a turn on all of us every now and then to post perspectives.

re formers what's your view on automating them? tbh that's what I usually do with them but is it worth manually tasking them and doing analysis on the terrain around a base? i've been aiming for 1-2 land and 0-1 sea formers per-base while putting them all on auto home base, then later setting some on full-auto after they'd maxed the home base. seems to have worked well but i may be slightly mineral shy now i think on it.

edit: re soc eng I'm ofc Police State because Hive don't get any negative effic penalties from soc eng!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i think the former automation just doesn't work very well a lot of the time, so you can get stuff working a lot better by manually giving them orders. they seem to default to the farm/solar/road combo a lot of the time, and they definitely underbuild forests early on.

a base with 5 workers only works 5 tiles out of the 20 available in the base's region so it's for sure more efficient to manually focus on making those specific tiles optimal by choosing enhancements that are well suited for the rainfall level, rockiness, and altitude.

another thing is that automatic formers will build a shitload of roads over every tile around your base, which wastes a lot of turns, especially because building tiles in rockier tiles and on rivers takes a lot longer. it will also actually hurt your defenses if you get invaded because enemy units can zoom up from any direction instead of being limited by chokepoints and terrain effects.

the Gaian formers on the main continent are all teamed up on big projects like building mines and roads on rocky squares for the supply crawler fleet, or on building super-enhancements like boreholes. the ones up north in the jungle are manually tasked, mostly on building forests around the small bases and roads to connect them. the sea formers are building the offshore tidal harness things in kelp squares.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that's some good insight. i think so far despite using automation for my formers they've been doing a good job. i have been manually tasking some to build sensor arrays to get better visibility. i'll probably take them off automatic, will give me more to do each turn lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it's v luxurious to take 30 minutes per turn to figure out what to do. though sometimes i forget what a unit was supposed to be doing, like i send a ship somewhere and then a couple months later it's there and i didn't write down what i was trying to do with it...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i hate it when i misclick a unit and cancel what it's doing, thus wasting its progress towards whatever it was doing (augh)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

re formers what's your view on automating them? tbh that's what I usually do with them but is it worth manually tasking them and doing analysis on the terrain around a base? i've been aiming for 1-2 land and 0-1 sea formers per-base while putting them all on auto home base, then later setting some on full-auto after they'd maxed the home base. seems to have worked well but i may be slightly mineral shy now i think on it.

Don't do it, the AI is real bad at Terraforming. Glorg's advice is on the money.

Also if anyone wants to read way way way too much about playing optimally (including Terraforming strategies), go track down Vel's SMACX guide.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i hate it when i misclick a unit and cancel what it's doing, thus wasting its progress towards whatever it was doing (augh)

I'm reasonably confident that if you re-assign them without missing a turn it will preserve the progress. But I could be wrong.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

been a while since i've seen the save, where's it at?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

been a while since i've seen the save, where's it at?

i did it and sent it on, so i think forums poster luigi thirty has it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
dun dun dun

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

luigi thirty is prolly too busy watching baseball that lucky devil!!!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im the fuckin worst: always posting "who got the save" but when i get it i sit on it for ages! playing and sending now

edit: done and sent, check your comms Improbable Lobster danger lurks nearby!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm not even playing this game but who's got that save?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i just passed it on today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i managed to grab a Unity Pod on my turn!

noice