Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Synastren posted:

It's been a week, so it's difficult to really parse out. If it persists for another week or two, it's worth reevaluating!

I'm routinely frustrated trying to find exact specifications of online-only BIABs. Their vague hand-waving specs pages only serve to make it difficult to make an expert opinion. :v:

I’ll see if I have anything that came with the mattress that has a diagram specific to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Anyone have recommendations on firm mattress toppers? Mrs. Dillbag is finding our Casper way too soft and isn't sleeping well. I was looking at the Tempur Topper but jfc $550 CAD for a queen? I could get a new mattress for that price.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Looking to replace an 8 year old sagging Simmons Beautyrest Luxury Plush Queen (SI66945) mattress with a king, would like to get something as close as possible in terms of firmness/feel. It was solid until about a year and a half ago, where my wife and I started getting back and hip pain and really sinking into the bed. Any ideas or recommendations?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Insurrectum posted:

Looking to replace an 8 year old sagging Simmons Beautyrest Luxury Plush Queen (SI66945) mattress with a king, would like to get something as close as possible in terms of firmness/feel. It was solid until about a year and a half ago, where my wife and I started getting back and hip pain and really sinking into the bed. Any ideas or recommendations?

Give me a few days, and I'll find out what the closest comparable one is. I'll PM you if I need more information, but I think my BR rep can find out what model that is.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Moving into new house soon and want to buy a good king size that will last 20 years. I am very willing to splurge but i don't know wtf i'm looking at when i search hypnos and duxiana mattresses. I'm a hot sleeper and like firm mattresses my wife tends to like softer. What should I be looking at?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Moving into new house soon and want to buy a good king size that will last 20 years. I am very willing to splurge but i don't know wtf i'm looking at when i search hypnos and duxiana mattresses. I'm a hot sleeper and like firm mattresses my wife tends to like softer. What should I be looking at?

I came in asking a very similar question a few months ago and got no answers. I went with a purple 2 and my wife and I are both very happy. Get to try it for 100 days.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KidDynamite posted:

That's a really hard question to answer tbh. Looking for a 20 year mattress is a difficult proposition, and something I generally doubt is possible. A realistic expectation is 8-12 years, almost regardless of the price, assuming you're looking for peak performance rather than "eh, it's not bad enough to change." Also consider that your body will be different a decade from now, much less two, and that technology consistently improves and changes. Virtually any king mattress over the ~1500 mark should work fine for about 10ish years or so. When beds get to a certain price, you begin to start paying for specific features and unique feels, rather than absurdly impressive durability. I'd be happy to look things over that you're considering, but just a few things to consider:

1) "cooling gel" is bullshit. Gel is added to foam to add density in almost every situation. Any cooling effects are incidental. Phase change material (PCM) is not cooling gel, and actually Does Stuff.
2) Latex doesn't really come in "soft," just "less firm," at least with regard to mattresses.
3) When you see the term "luxury" in the feel or construction of the bed, it is a compound term. I.e., "luxury firm" means a bit firmer than a cushion firm, a bit softer than a firm.
4) Whatever you decide on, try to find a way to actually try before you buy unless there is a very easy hassle free return/exchange policy.

I have a fairly dim view of any connected coil mattress (like the Dux mattresses you mentioned) simply because they do not accommodate natural curves very well. That being said, there is no One Perfect Mattress that works perfectly for every person.

Look for the following red flags when trying new beds:
Pressure in the hips or shoulders when on your side
A gentle tilting in the lower back which feels like pressure when on your stomach
And do not be super concerned if when on your back it feels like you are leaning slightly in one direction--floor models tend to be unevenly worn given the sheer variety of body shapes and weights that try them out.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look at stearns and foster and maybe go to the dux showroom. Wife and I are both vaccinated so I think a showroom trip while masked up should be ok. We're in NJ and not far from Shovlin Mattress Factory should we check them out?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look at stearns and foster and maybe go to the dux showroom. Wife and I are both vaccinated so I think a showroom trip while masked up should be ok. We're in NJ and not far from Shovlin Mattress Factory should we check them out?

Looks like that mattress factory specializes in connected coil, flipping mattresses. I've not been impressed by one before, but you might find something you like!

Masked showroom trips are generally pretty low risk--COVID transmission doesn't seem to come through contact, generally, and mattress stores are not usually packed. Social distancing shouldn't be hard to maintain!

Another couple of quick observations: Memory foam is slower to respond to changes in weight and pressure. It usually feels paradoxically firmer and mushier than traditional foams. Latex, in contrast, will generally feel unyielding even when it provides pressure relief. I can't speak to what is available to you in NJ, but you would be able to pretty easily tell the difference between, say, Stearns & Foster and Kingsdown to compare those materials.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Synastren posted:

Give me a few days, and I'll find out what the closest comparable one is. I'll PM you if I need more information, but I think my BR rep can find out what model that is.

Did you ever hear anything more about this? We're still looking to upgrade to a king of something with a similar feel.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Insurrectum posted:

Did you ever hear anything more about this? We're still looking to upgrade to a king of something with a similar feel.

I have not, unfortunately. I'll poke my rep again!

ninja edit: If you can get a picture of the law tag and PM or email it to me, that would pretty much ensure I have all necessary information, if what you gave wasn't enough. My name at gmail would work if you don't want to use PMs!

KoB
May 1, 2009
THinking about dropping my BidenBucks on a bigger/new bed. Been stuck on a full my entire adult life and looking to get a calking.

Has anyone here tried/heard about Brooklyn Bedding's Titan mattresses? I was checking out the Titan Luxe Hybrid.

Im 6'4, very fat. I think I like very soft mattresses but ive been on the same one for like 15 years or whatever so I havent had much experience trying other kinds for any kind of long term experience.

e: stomach sleeper.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 17, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As a fat person firmer beds have been amazing for my back pain

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

As a fat person firmer beds have been amazing for my back pain

Have to agree here. There was a brief adjustment period, but after a few days I have been getting the best sleep in a long time and much less back pain throughout the day.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I also sleep on my stomach if that changes anything.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Are Purple mattresses as good as they're supposed to be?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Joan posted:

Are Purple mattresses as good as they're supposed to be?

Depends entirely on the person and what you're expecting to get out of it! If you're expecting something lifechanging, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're looking for something that feels radically different than anything else, you'll be satisfied. It is incredibly distinct from any sort of memory foam feel--if anything it feels most similar to latex, but it's still quite distinct. It's usually firmer than most folks expect.

Insurrectum posted:

PS I sent you a PM for more information~

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking to get an Endy, Casper or Douglas mattress in the not too distant future.
Bed is a cheap rear end probably walmart particle board platform bed, current mattress is a futon matress that I've had for 16 years or so.
Is it a bad idea to just put the new mattress on top of the old one? I don't care about the height, and don't feel like getting rid of the old one currently.

Also, would you pick one of the three I listed over the other? What do you like best about whatever one you have?
I like being hugged when I sleep :3:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

wesleywillis posted:

Also, would you pick one of the three I listed over the other? What do you like best about whatever one you have?
I like being hugged when I sleep :3:

I have a Douglas. My sister got an Endy and tried mine afterwards, said mine was firmer but barely noticeable difference overall. I don't think you'll find much difference between these 3.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What's the deal with Nectar? We went to Raymour & Flannigan to try out a Stearns & Foster and ended up going back and forth between a Nectar and a Tempurpedic with the Nectar winning out. I liked the firmness after the initial give but I know nothing about the brand and it seems like a very much not a 10 year mattress. Are there any caveats I should be aware of? Will it feel like crap in 6 months after break in? Also what's a good king size bunkie board? We're definitely getting a bed with slats and replacing getting the knickbocker support slats so the mattress will need something in between for support.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Bought a Purple 3 yesterday amd have been doing some reading about hearing pads - wife gets pretty serious cramps and heating elements are a fixture in our bed. Anyone using them with their Purple?

I’ve seen the recommendation on their website, ie put a blanket between it and the mattress.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are the goon favorite pillows?

Folks have said the MyPillows are comfy but I don’t want to support a chud.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just got my Douglas mattress today. I celebrated by washing my sheets and comforter.
Looking forward to sleeping on it and waking up late for my appointment tomorrow morning.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

From what I understand the chud brand pillows are just chopped up memory foam bits. FWIW, I have a pillow that is exactly that that's branded as Certa that I got in a 2 pack on sale for bogo50 at Big Lots for $20.

I to am interested in pillow info. I need something that's sturdy enough to not go completely flat when I lay on it, but that also helps mitigate heat. Currently I achieve this with the before mentioned chud-pillow-knockoff as a base and another "cool touch" pillow from the same sale that's some kinda cooling fabric wrapped around the faintest hint of cotton candy as the top. It only kinda-almost works.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Purple mattresses have that ability where like you don't feel your partner moving around and can jump right next to a wine glass and it wont fall, would those also be good against say, reducing feeling the vibrations that travel along the floor of a house with crawlspace from a kid that is completely and utterly incapable of not stomping with every step?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

From what I understand the chud brand pillows are just chopped up memory foam bits. FWIW, I have a pillow that is exactly that that's branded as Certa that I got in a 2 pack on sale for bogo50 at Big Lots for $20.

I to am interested in pillow info. I need something that's sturdy enough to not go completely flat when I lay on it, but that also helps mitigate heat. Currently I achieve this with the before mentioned chud-pillow-knockoff as a base and another "cool touch" pillow from the same sale that's some kinda cooling fabric wrapped around the faintest hint of cotton candy as the top. It only kinda-almost works.

I've mentioned these before, and they're loving expensive, but I use a buckwheat husk pillow (I specifically use the Beans72, but there are a lot of them out there). They're very firm, but also very breathable; picture a beanbag with way less give. I previously got a memory foam pillow with some sort of "cool touch" gel before, and it was bullshit in comparison.

Downside is it has ruined me for other pillows. Hotels seem to have the softest, most non-supportive pillows ever. Transporting them isn't a great option, either; the queen-size one I have weighs 10 pounds.

Would not recommend for a stomach sleeper (I'm 75% side/25% back and it's loving perfect).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Holy crap I haven't posted in a while, so here is one of the longest posts I've written that wasn't an overly ambitious OP in some stupid Starcraft or psychology megathread. Hope it makes sense!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Just got my Douglas mattress today. I celebrated by washing my sheets and comforter.
Looking forward to sleeping on it and waking up late for my appointment tomorrow morning.

Sorry I wasn't any help here, but I honestly haven't tried any of those brands. I have a deep seated enmity towards Casper, so I'm just glad you didn't buy from them! Truthfully, I'd be shocked if they feel all that different from one another, given that they seem to be similarly priced, with a similar height, and roughly even ratios of memory foam to support foam.

Congrats on the new bed! I'd be interested to know how it has gone in a month or so.

KidDynamite posted:

What's the deal with Nectar? We went to Raymour & Flannigan to try out a Stearns & Foster and ended up going back and forth between a Nectar and a Tempurpedic with the Nectar winning out. I liked the firmness after the initial give but I know nothing about the brand and it seems like a very much not a 10 year mattress. Are there any caveats I should be aware of? Will it feel like crap in 6 months after break in? Also what's a good king size bunkie board? We're definitely getting a bed with slats and replacing getting the knickbocker support slats so the mattress will need something in between for support.

Tempur material is slower to react to changes in pressure and weight, and is significantly more temperature sensitive than virtually any other foam product. It's also super expensive to produce and purchase. In the last generation of Tempur mattresses, .5 inches of tempur foam (thickness) would increase the price by ~$500. That being said, it's also very good but can be extremely difficult to move in--but it's also one of the very best things for motion isolation. :shrug:

Nectar is extremely good for its price. The foam is fairly decent quality memory foam, and I'd fully expect it to last you a solid 8-12 years with a protector. Keep in mind that what you tried may be broken in quite extensively, and likely a new mattress will be noticeably firmer for the first month or two.

Bunkie boards are generally poop. The Tempur ultra low foundation is legit, but is also super expensive. Were I you, I would get a piece of 3/4" MFD cut to size and put that on top of your slats. If you can't get it in one piece, get it in two. That's how all king sized foundations (boxes or bunkies) come, anyway!

Anza Borrego posted:

Bought a Purple 3 yesterday amd have been doing some reading about hearing pads - wife gets pretty serious cramps and heating elements are a fixture in our bed. Anyone using them with their Purple?

I’ve seen the recommendation on their website, ie put a blanket between it and the mattress.

AFAIK there is no restriction on heating pads on Purple. Be advised that the mattress will basically not hold heat pretty much ever, though, which is why they likely recommend the blanket. I can't imagine you can harm their smart grid with the relatively low grade heat, but I'm no engineer.

Leal posted:

Purple mattresses have that ability where like you don't feel your partner moving around and can jump right next to a wine glass and it wont fall, would those also be good against say, reducing feeling the vibrations that travel along the floor of a house with crawlspace from a kid that is completely and utterly incapable of not stomping with every step?

Purples are not particularly motion isolating, in my opinion, or in my in-store testing experience. The responsiveness and composition of their smartgrid means it can transfer in-bed motion fairly well, even in their original model. However, they do extremely well at limiting the transfer of vibration like you are interested in. While the purple material does so-so at addressing in-bed motion, it almost actively fights against most adjustable base oscillation massage, which I think is similar to a child throwing a temper tantrum. (unrelated: the wine glass thing was an old, old Tempurpedic commercial)

lots of folks posted:

pillowtalk

MyPillow was overhyped to begin with, and Lindel's activity over the last 5 years haven't altered that fact. It's not even memory foam, fwiw.

Ultimately, the pillow works with your mattress to support your head, and should fill in the gap between your noggin and the mattress; needs of a pillow vary from person to person. Sleeping position matters, as does the relative firmness of the pillow, and the skeletal structure of the sleeper. For example, a side sleeper with broad shoulders who sleeps on a bed that they stay on top of would require a quite lofty pillow, whereas a slight shouldered individual on a super soft mattress would likely need a fairly slim one. Loft, by the way, is the technical term for the height of the pillow. Broad strokes, under 3 inches (I think) is a low loft pillow. Above 7 in a high loft pillow. Anything in between is a medium loft pillow. Firmness of the pillow, much like firmness of the mattress, will also be very important at determining how it will feel!

Pillows can come in a number of materials that can be broadly categorized as the type of feel, with vague implications of the firmness. A very definitely not exhaustive list of common pillow types:
  • Fluffy
    • Polyester
    • Down (or alternative)
    • Poly foam (read: traditional foam)
  • Responsive
    • Shredded latex (may include poly foam or memory foam)
    • Latex
    • Gel or latex infused memory foam
  • Conforming
    • Shredded memory foam
    • Memory foam
    • Tempur
  • Supportive
    • Buckwheat
    • Memory foam (yes, it is very versatile, which is why it's everywhere)
    • Polyester blends
    • Bamboo

Different sorts of gels are starting to show up (e.g., Purple, Intellibed) that have distinctly different feels, as well.

So likely, and assuming you're not looking for some goofy chiropractic pillow, or some dramatic contour pillow, we can kinda narrow some things down with regard to loft:
Sleeping position: Stomach (low) -> Back or combination (medium) -> Side (high).

Shoulder breadth is linked directly with pillow loft, exactly as you'd imagine!

Mattress buoyancy is also linked with loft, again as you'd expect (more on top == thicker pillow).

Generally speaking, you're likely looking for a mid-lofted pillow. Pick your height, then what you want the pillow to feel like from the list I tossed out, and then dive into some reviews. Almost any pillow in the 50-100 USD range will be well made, but it's impossible to determine if it'll be right for you until you can try it. If you can pop into a local mattress place, ask to try what pillows they have and come prepared with what kind of mattress you have. If the associate working in that store is competent, they'll take you to the closest thing the store carries and help fit you for something. You could buy what they help you find, or try to find something as similar as possible that is more affordable if their solution is too pricey.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Synastren posted:

(unrelated: the wine glass thing was an old, old Tempurpedic commercial)

I'm not that old, quiet you.

Wait I'm complaining about a kid being too loud. Fuuuuck :smith:

I'm getting a third check this month so I may pick one up after my next payday. It'll be nice to experience this weird alien material.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Leal posted:

I'm not that old, quiet you.

Wait I'm complaining about a kid being too loud. Fuuuuck :smith:

I'm getting a third check this month so I may pick one up after my next payday. It'll be nice to experience this weird alien material.

I mean, the company has only been making beds stateside since the 90s.

But they remade the commercial in 2014 if that helps you feel less old!

Take your time on it, it takes at least 90 seconds for the bed to mold to you fairly well. Approximately 7 minutes to adapt to you completely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My mattress came in

Both of them. Did they confuse "twin" as in "two identical" :psyduck:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Now you have to buy a bunkbed

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Leal posted:

My mattress came in

They've been making some goofs frequently lately.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Leal posted:

My mattress came in

Put one on top of the other.

In other news, I got my Douglas Mattress a week or so ago and have been sleeping quite nicely on it. Just threw it right on top of my old futon mattress.

I recommend that poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so hey, if you're a heavy set goon (over 250 pounds) do not get a purple. This is my second night with one and my neck is in a LOT of pain. It happened the first night, wrote it off as me not laying my head right and now I've woken up way earlier then usual with my neck screaming in pain. I'm gonna have to call out of work today.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm a sometimes back and sometime side sleeper, my best results have been a 2-pillow solution with chopped memory foam as a base layer and then the biggest extra firm real down pillow I can find on top of it. Spendy but worth it for down, I think I'm getting close to the 5 year mark on the two I have.

E: Pretty sure this is the one I've got, I'll check the label when I get home

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/restful-nights-down-surround-density-pillows/pp5004111274

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 23, 2021

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

Alright so hey, if you're a heavy set goon (over 250 pounds) do not get a purple.

Did you try stacking one on top of the other

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Leal posted:

Alright so hey, if you're a heavy set goon (over 250 pounds) do not get a purple. This is my second night with one and my neck is in a LOT of pain. It happened the first night, wrote it off as me not laying my head right and now I've woken up way earlier then usual with my neck screaming in pain. I'm gonna have to call out of work today.

I'm a heavyset goon and I love my Purple 3. It did take me about a week to get used to it, though. My biggest problem ended up being my pillow. I needed to switch to a thinner pillow because I sunk further into the Purple than I did my previous mattress and my old pillow setup was angling my neck too much.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Leal posted:

Scudworth posted:

Did you try stacking one on top of the other

Leal posted:

Khizan posted:

I'm a heavyset goon and I love my Purple 3. It did take me about a week to get used to it, though. My biggest problem ended up being my pillow. I needed to switch to a thinner pillow because I sunk further into the Purple than I did my previous mattress and my old pillow setup was angling my neck too much.

This is all right stuff.

If you're getting problems in your neck, it is your pillow 99% of the time. Pillows and mattresses work together, with the pillow filling in the gap between the mattress and your head. Your shoulder will sink differently on different mattresses, so the same pillow will feel different on two different mattresses.

If you have the option to, go to a bed store that has the Purple you bought, and try it with what pillows they have available. Even if you don't want what they have for sale, that will give you a launch pad to find the right pillow for you from wherever you choose to buy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
We got a Tempurpedic Pro Adapt two years ago and really liked it.

Time to upgrade to a King, has anything changed in the last two years? Wife and I love that the Pro Adapt is so firm, firmer the better as far as we are concerned. She had hip pain that went completely away after we changed to that. We are back and sometimes side sleepers.

Just checking to see if there’s anything I’m missing before I order another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hed posted:

We got a Tempurpedic Pro Adapt two years ago and really liked it.

Time to upgrade to a King, has anything changed in the last two years? Wife and I love that the Pro Adapt is so firm, firmer the better as far as we are concerned. She had hip pain that went completely away after we changed to that. We are back and sometimes side sleepers.

Just checking to see if there’s anything I’m missing before I order another.

Tempur line hasn't changed since the Adapt/Breeze lines. As far as I know there aren't any other major foam players of that caliber, so I can't really suggest an alternative unless you want the Breeze version :v:

Plus side, their Memorial Day event literally starts in the morning, so it'll save you a couple hundo.