Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

repiv posted:

edit: the creator of SteamDB also says valve paid him for an exploit but never actually fixed it

When you don't give a poo poo so much that you can just throw away money

It makes me really sad we might never see In the Valley of Gods because Campo Santo just got gobbled up by Valve and relegated to some boring poo poo like Dota Underlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sad question posted:

Sherlock Holmes and the mystery of the persian carpet
This is poo poo.

Ah! "This Willis who was me".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0p0o8FgT0&t=918s

It's probably translated from Romanian or whatever, which explains some of the issues.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If I hate most games except Divinity OS2, will I like Wasteland 3?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Decided to take a trip through all the various big and small news outlets that cover games to see if any of them picked up the Steam exploit story.

Out of the dozen or so that I checked, only RPS wrote something.

RPS posted:

Valve have yet to make any sort of statement about these exploits. I've contacted them for comment, and will update this article if I receive a response.

I'm sure that'll happen.

Also checked r/steam - they're currently busy upvoting posts containing a photo of an original Half-Life disc and someone editing a store page so that it appears to be for Minecraft.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is being 2 handed a problem if there's no sex at time? :thinking:

Mescal posted:

no

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just SMH at people who want to j/o while gaming and haven't just bought a fleshlight launch

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

repiv posted:

edit: the creator of SteamDB also says valve paid him for an exploit but never actually fixed it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Leal posted:

Just SMH at people who want to j/o while gaming and haven't just bought a fleshlight launch
wank smarter not harder.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Warning to anyone with epilepsy, I got horrible green flickering during cutscenes. Disabling depth of field seems to have fixed it.

The port all round seems pretty crappy.

e:yeah its a buggy mess

You were warned! Kind of.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That same thing happened to me but also Sunset Overdrive is a bad game so once I fixed it all I had was a bad game to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
IDK, I like it and it's doing something pretty unique.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mescal posted:

I got Wasteland 3 for free on Gamepass and didn't play it long before ditching it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mescal posted:

Depends on what you enjoy about CRPGs. I liked Wasteland 3's combat enough to finish the game but I thought the character writing and "humor" were several magnitudes below DOS2. It's a relatively short game, however. I think it took me less than 30 hours to complete.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Depends on what you enjoy about CRPGs. I liked Wasteland 3's combat enough to finish the game but I thought the character writing and "humor" were several magnitudes below DOS2. It's a relatively short game, however. I think it took me less than 30 hours to complete.

I play em for the combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The combat system is definitely a highpoint for WL3, it’s fun and sometimes challenging without being too punishingly old-school.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is the ruleset/levelling somewhat sensible this time?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gort posted:

I got Wasteland 3 for free on Gamepass and didn't play it long before ditching it.

Same, but I think that was mostly my own fault. I can't really think of any overwhelming negative, just lost interest. The intro section was fairly fun, the first town had some interesting little quests and areas, the Denver/Western Washington/Reagan Reborn stuff was interesting enough.

I almost feel like I need to give that game another chance now that I think about it. Some RPGs take a few tries.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I enjoyed wasteland 3 for several hours on gamepass, but then I got the final sniper skill and it turns out that softlocks the game if you ever use it. I lost interest after that. So my advice is don't build a sniper, or if you do, don't get that skill.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FWIW I really disliked WL2 but I've been enjoying WL3 on gamepass. The combat and character mechanics are much improved. It's fun to have a giant party again (4 created, 2 npc, and lots of animal companions) as a contrast to the trend of smaller parties in CRPGs. Despite my big party the combat actually moves a lot faster than WL2 which I found way too slow and simplistic. The quests are mostly solid. It didn't help WL2 that I'm pretty bored with Mad Max apocalypse deserts but the frozen Colorado is interesting.

The writing is mostly mediocre with occasional dreadful detours especially for humor. Like if the idea of a clown gang in the apocalypse (red noses, wigs, etc) or incredibly obvious 80s references is inherently amusing to you then you'll enjoy it more than I did. I'm old enough to know this crap but just putting "where the beef" in the game is not funny and gets annoying. I'll admit I never played much of WL1 so I dunno what is a WL1 reference but I also would've thought they'd be over "do you remember WL1?" kind of references after the last game.

I did also really enjoy the D:OS games (probably my favorite neo CRPGs) though I'm weird for liking the first game a little more than the second.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FuzzySlippers posted:

FWIW I really disliked WL2 but I've been enjoying WL3 on gamepass. The combat and character mechanics are much improved. It's fun to have a giant party again (4 created, 2 npc, and lots of animal companions) as a contrast to the trend of smaller parties in CRPGs. Despite my big party the combat actually moves a lot faster than WL2 which I found way too slow and simplistic. The quests are mostly solid. It didn't help WL2 that I'm pretty bored with Mad Max apocalypse deserts but the frozen Colorado is interesting.

The writing is mostly mediocre with occasional dreadful detours especially for humor. Like if the idea of a clown gang in the apocalypse (red noses, wigs, etc) or incredibly obvious 80s references is inherently amusing to you then you'll enjoy it more than I did. I'm old enough to know this crap but just putting "where the beef" in the game is not funny and gets annoying. I'll admit I never played much of WL1 so I dunno what is a WL1 reference but I also would've thought they'd be over "do you remember WL1?" kind of references after the last game.

I did also really enjoy the D:OS games (probably my favorite neo CRPGs) though I'm weird for liking the first game a little more than the second.

Well, I mean, on one hand some of the 80s reference are dumb, but on the other hand there is a religious cult known as "The Gippers" that worship Roland Reagan as a god-president.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Trick Question posted:

I enjoyed wasteland 3 for several hours on gamepass, but then I got the final sniper skill and it turns out that softlocks the game if you ever use it. I lost interest after that. So my advice is don't build a sniper, or if you do, don't get that skill.

Weird! We finished a run with a sniper or two using all their skills just fine, bizarre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well, I mean, on one hand some of the 80s reference are dumb, but on the other hand there is a religious cult known as "The Gippers" that worship Roland Reagan as a god-president.

Yeah that's the one good joke the game has, too bad about everything else.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

tildes posted:

Weird! We finished a run with a sniper or two using all their skills just fine, bizarre.

By 'final skill' I mean the passive ability that let them make multiple overwatch/'ambush' shots if they one-shot the enemy. After the first kill the game would just stay on the enemy turn forever. I probably could have just not used ambush with that character but I kind of felt like I'd already seen everything interesting the game was going to do so I didn't have a lot of motivation to keep going.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Trick Question posted:

By 'final skill' I mean the passive ability that let them make multiple overwatch/'ambush' shots if they one-shot the enemy. After the first kill the game would just stay on the enemy turn forever. I probably could have just not used ambush with that character but I kind of felt like I'd already seen everything interesting the game was going to do so I didn't have a lot of motivation to keep going.

Ah from googling it looks like that bug might’ve been made worse by a patch which came out after we finished our run- it has been awhile since we played. Condolences :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/YellowAfterlife/status/1381705511754723331

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1381768504639070209

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1381769755015618566

lmao why yes, fixing the game people already paid for is a cash grab, yes

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone know if KeeperRL is good? It's in early access. Here is the blurb:

quote:

Ambitious dungeon simulator with roguelike and RPG elements. Take the role of an evil wizard and study the methods of black magic. Equip your minions and explore the world, murder innocent villagers and burn their homes. Build your dungeon, lay traps and prepare for an assault of angry heroes.

Got a rating of Very Positive.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Azran posted:

Up is down, black is white, gamers are smart

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

I've played a few hours of it. It's sort of an open world Dungeon Keeper game where combat plays something like a text-based rogue-like, though not as complex. When a fight happens you take control of the leader of the minion squad that's in conflict. The fights I got into were in narrow spaces so I couldn't tell you if minions aside from the controlled one actually fight or just follow you around. I set it aside because it felt somewhat shallow and it was less of sandbox game then I was expecting. Having said that, if the idea of a game that mixes elements of Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress sounds good to you, you'd probably enjoy it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MinorRed posted:

I've played a few hours of it. It's sort of an open world Dungeon Keeper game where combat plays something like a text-based rogue-like, though not as complex. When a fight happens you take control of the leader of the minion squad that's in conflict. The fights I got into were in narrow spaces so I couldn't tell you if minions aside from the controlled one actually fight or just follow you around. I set it aside because it felt somewhat shallow and it was less of sandbox game then I was expecting. Having said that, if the idea of a game that mixes elements of Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress sounds good to you, you'd probably enjoy it.

Hmm. A Dwarf Fortress/Dungeon Keeper mashup sounds interesting but I appreciate the caveats you have raised. Thanks for the review.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Helical Nightmares posted:

You can download the ASCII version for free from the KeeperRL website

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Uhhhh... yikes, that is a strange situation. The original announcement on Patreon from HopFrog (Forager's creator) has loaded language where he appears to imply multiple times that because he wasn't working on things personally, updates that shipped over the span of around two years were bad - basically saying that the other devs' work sucked. People that he hired and oversaw. And then despite being the game's designer he blames others for the game becoming too grindy and boring. Probably a metric ton of behind-the-scenes conflicts to unpack here.

"I'm a gamer first and a dev second"

But at least he is offering refunds to anyone that asks for one.

When I played Forager on Xbox One it had serious performance issues due to a memory leak of some kind.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
drat. Synthetik is so good. I haven't touched it in a few months but its great for co op and solo. The gunplay is so satisfying.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the only problem with synthetik is that it falls into the same roguelike traps of it feeling super samey after a bit, level-wise, and your run's success not really being up to you but instead what you get

the good runs are often and hella flashy, tho.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Quick sanity check: is it normal to get addicted to Elex? (that is the game, not the drug)

A huge part of me is saying that I should quit Elex and play the million other better put-together games in my backlog: heck, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 or a bunch of other similar genre games. There's just so much jank and clunkiness to Elex that gets in the way and made me almost quit a bunch of times, and yet, I just keep coming back to play more? I dunno what it is about it, maybe it's the crazy factions and their huge differences in tech like a Civ game gone wrong, or maybe it's just the really long lasting sense of progression due to how harsh the game world is (though it is to my dismay done through numbers and stats more so than player skill). It's very odd. Please, let me know if this is a worthwhile endeavor, or save me by saying it's not worth it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you like it it's worth it. Elex is an insane, weird game that is very firmly in love or hate territory. It doesn't have an incredible ending or anything for you to work towards but it's fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azran posted:

I dunno about the cash grab part but he’s right about just doing a sequel. That’s a lot of dev time for minimal gains.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FutureCop posted:

Quick sanity check: is it normal to get addicted to Elex? (that is the game, not the drug)

A huge part of me is saying that I should quit Elex and play the million other better put-together games in my backlog: heck, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 or a bunch of other similar genre games. There's just so much jank and clunkiness to Elex that gets in the way and made me almost quit a bunch of times, and yet, I just keep coming back to play more? I dunno what it is about it, maybe it's the crazy factions and their huge differences in tech like a Civ game gone wrong, or maybe it's just the really long lasting sense of progression due to how harsh the game world is (though it is to my dismay done through numbers and stats more so than player skill). It's very odd. Please, let me know if this is a worthwhile endeavor, or save me by saying it's not worth it.
Elex owns and if you haven't played Gothic 1&2 or Risen 1, do that next after you finish it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

New job listings from Cloud Chamber, the 2K studio making the next Bioshock.

Open-world, urban crowd mechanics and "systemic tribal ecology of a sometimes hostile AI" are all mentioned.

Note that Ken Levine is not involved with this game, the studio's head was a producer on pretty much every Firaxis game released in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I trust Shawn Elliott