Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

NihilCredo posted:

Can you expand on the poo poo show? I normally stick to the official images whenever possible, but for Jellyfin in particular I have in fact been using the linuxserver image because the official one had trouble on the Pi (don't remember exactly what).

I haven't looked at it recently but I looked at it back in the day for plex and transmission or something and it was basically just running everything as root, full CAPS, pull as many dependencies into the image as possible and just... The antithesis of a discrete unit of processing containers are supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mr. Crow posted:

I haven't looked at it recently but I looked at it back in the day for plex and transmission or something and it was basically just running everything as root, full CAPS, pull as many dependencies into the image as possible and just... The antithesis of a discrete unit of processing containers are supposed to be

I see. Well I started using it sometime mid-2020, and they go out of their way to not have you run their images as root, as for caps, I think those need to be explicitly enabled by the user with --cap-add, which they don't seem to require or suggest. Can't speak about dependencies in general, but here's the Jellyfin dockerfile and I'm not seeing anything that shouldn't be there.

I don't doubt you, it's quite possible they improved their practice since its origins as (IIRC) basically a hobby project.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I realize this post is nine days ago, but I just wanted to add..

DerekSmartymans posted:

Are there any distros that work with WSL2 that aren’t on the Microsoft Store? I’d never heard of it before and it’s much easier than setting up a VM, as well as tons of setups on YouTube and tutorials (I haven’t set up a VM since around Ubuntu 12? 13? Long ago). I’m sure the process is seamless and faster these days, but I was bringing up a bash terminal in WSL2 Debian within like 10 minutes. It’s more fun to play around and crash doing poo poo and learning not to do things than dual booting, too 🤓.

Any distro can be made to conform to WSL by a smart enough person, I believe. I run somebody's modified copy of RHEL's free Universal Base Image adopted for WSL for access to bash and a few utilities such as Python or wget where I've not been happy with the Windows version for various reasons. This person also builds Amazon Linux and Fedora, but I just wanted something familiar that wouldn't have updates 9 times out of 10 that I check.

However, if you're like me and use this to download or manipulate files in your NTFS space using the Linux core collection of commands, then don't use WSL2 because it's I/O to the host NTFS drives is awful. WSL2 is not a "better in all ways" upgrade over WSL1, and even Microsoft asks you to keep using WSL1 in any number of situations. What it really comes down to, use WSL1 for using Linux to manipulate data on your Windows hard drives 'outside' of the VM drive, and use WSL2 for something that requires the kernel and systemd, for instance running Docker is possible in WSL2 while it wasn't in WSL1.

WSL1 is still being maintained, it's just the most Microsoft thing to have a big stage show hypefest for something new and improved and then launch it with a sidebar telling you that it's actually worse than the thing it replaces and that you probably shouldn't bother.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 10, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Craptacular! posted:

I realize this post is nine days ago, but I just wanted to add..

Any distro can be made to conform to WSL by a smart enough person, I believe. I run somebody's modified copy of RHEL's free Universal Base Image adopted for WSL for access to bash and a few utilities such as Python or wget where I've not been happy with the Windows version for various reasons. This person also builds Amazon Linux and Fedora, but I just wanted something familiar that wouldn't have updates 9 times out of 10 that I check.

However, if you're like me and use this to download or manipulate files in your NTFS space using the Linux core collection of commands, then don't use WSL2 because it's I/O to Windows drives is awful. WSL2 is not a "better in all ways" upgrade over WSL1, and even Microsoft asks you to keep using WSL1 in any number of situations. What it really comes down to, use WSL1 for using Linux to manipulate data on your Windows hard drive, and use WSL2 for something that requires the kernel and systemd, for instance running Docker is possible in WSL2 while it wasn't in WSL1.

WSL1 is still being maintained, it's just the most Microsoft thing to have a big stage show hypefest for something new and improved and then launch it with a sidebar telling you that it's actually worse than the thing it replaces and that you probably shouldn't bother.

Worth noting that you can choose which version to create, and (in theory, its never worked to revert to wsl1 for me) convert instances between versions, from powershell.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Isn't WSL2 just a Hyper-V guest instead of the Linuxulator-like syscall translation layer inspired by the one in FreeBSD?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Isn't WSL2 just a Hyper-V guest instead of the Linuxulator-like syscall translation layer inspired by the one in FreeBSD?

Yup. Which explains the problems and benefits - WSL2 gives you an actual kernel with all the proper syscalls being exactly right; WSL1 gives you very thin translation layers when talking to the Windows side.

To be fair to WSL2, the translation layers they have put in place are quite nice; it's much smoother than just running linux in a Hyper-V VM.

e: This feels wrong.

e2: It's also WSL1 on this machine. I wonder if that still works in WSL2.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 10, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know there are some weird caveats(I had some files vanish from one filesystem because editing them in the other did something to the perms at one point) but honestly WSL is a really good best effort, and is totally usable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main workstation since going WFH last march has been a w10 system with WSL. I don't actually use the WSL stuff too much though, I pretty much only run xming and a terminator session. But it's pretty pleasant to use when I do.

Windows a viable platform for doing unix system administration? 2005 era Slashdot would have strung me up.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's peoples preferred way to grow a boot partition on an existing drive? Aside from reinstalling. Boot partition is VFAT, other partition is ext4.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just how big is your boot loader?

FreeBSDs boot loader, which is the one I know about the most, implements UFS, ZFS, GELI encryption, zstd, lz4, gzip/zlib, NFS, a BearSSL library (for secure boot), verified execution (again, for secure boot), and a bunch of other thing.
According to stat, the size of the lua loader is 491kB, and the size of the efi loader is 898.5kB.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There are a few 20ish mb kernel images on the partition because it stores older versions to boot from for rescue purposes. This is on a a 1GB SD card with a 64mb boot partition.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sorry, the boot partition contains kernel images.
Say what?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sorry, the boot partition contains kernel images.
Say what?

Welcome to linux enjoy your stay

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmlinux#Location

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

xtal posted:

What's peoples preferred way to grow a boot partition on an existing drive? Aside from reinstalling. Boot partition is VFAT, other partition is ext4.

I would just make another partition, copy everything over and update grub/bios?

I can't imagine you would have the space to just extend the partition unless you had to foresight to not put your next partition right next to it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It seems like someone found out how to enable SR-IOV on consumer Geforce cards: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/mnord0/unlock_vgpu_functionality_for_consumer_grade_gpus/

You still need a GRID driver though, so it is not really SR-IOV but you can divvy up your GPU.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Welcome to linux enjoy your stay
Well that sure as gently caress is something, alright.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It seems like someone found out how to enable SR-IOV on consumer Geforce cards: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/mnord0/unlock_vgpu_functionality_for_consumer_grade_gpus/

You still need a GRID driver though, so it is not really SR-IOV but you can divvy up your GPU.
Someone linked this elsewhere, and assuming it's the same thing (I refuse to visit reddit, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who remembers a certain thread that ended up involving Anderson Cooper), it seems like it's not that much use.
Also, SR-IOV is.. a mixed as hell bag. A friend of mine has tested SR-IOV on a large collection of both consumer/prosumer and enterprise boards, and it's only worked very sparingly.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 11, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Where does the freebsd kernel live

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Where does the freebsd kernel live
On the root filesystem, in /boot/kernel/kernel.
Whether it's boot0 loading the BTX loader which loads the LUA loader, or the EFI loader (which gets loaded by the UEFI firmware off the EFI System Partition directly) - it's the loaders job to understand enough of the filesystem (encryption et cetera ad nauseum included) to be able to load the kernel and let it do the device initialization, issue the mountroot call, and then finally run init (whatever it may be, it can be an interpreted language or a binary, via the init_path or a shell via init_shell kernel environment variables documented in /boot/defaults/loader.conf).

The i386 bootstrap process is described in detail here in the architecture handbook, and I dream of a day when I understand the UEFI process well enough to add a UEFI section to the architecture handbook.

EDIT: boot0.S is probably my all-time favorite piece of assembly code ever written, because it's so loving dense it's practically impossible for even neutrinos to get through. :v:
Even if there are more lines of comments than there is code, I defy anyone to read and understand it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 11, 2021

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well that sure as gently caress is something, alright.

:shrug: Putting kernel and initrd in /boot is actually pretty useful, because it means you can do whatever loving thing you want with /, including encryption, software RAID, zfs, network filesystem, anything without needing to ensure that support for it is built into the bootloader.

This is less important today since we're no longer trying to embed stage1 bootloaders in a few hundred bytes at the start of the disk, but it still means there's just fewer things to worry about at boot time; debugging the initrd is a lot easier than debugging the bootloader.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Crow posted:

I would just make another partition, copy everything over and update grub/bios?

I can't imagine you would have the space to just extend the partition unless you had to foresight to not put your next partition right next to it.

Can't you just resize partitions?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can't you just resize partitions?

I mean that should probably work - boot a gparted usb stick, push the ext4 partition a bit, expand the efi boot partition. Just be aware that it could also fail.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I didn't think you could just laterally move a partition? I guess I've never tried it though :shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mr. Crow posted:

I didn't think you could just laterally move a partition? I guess I've never tried it though :shrug:

You can, if the partitioning tool understands the file system and it's not encrypted. I think gparted can handle ext4, but perhaps not lvm?

Also, moving partitions (or shrinking them from the "left") takes absolutely forever, since you need to read and write all the files on the partition - unlike a size change on the "right" where you can leave most of it unchanged.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I would swear Gparted can only expand a partition to the "right," but it's been a while since I had a reason to mess with it - I started over-allocating space by habit a few years ago.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I started over-allocating space by habit a few years ago.

The 30GB / partition on my desktop is starting to feel the squeeze, /home has its own huge partition, but I have to keep an eye on the apt cache and old kernels, as well as snaps and flatpaks, otherwise stuff just piles up.

When I pull myself together and reinstall it as openSUSE instead of KDE Neon (I don't like the Ubuntu base), it's getting one large btrfs partition with subvolumes, for flexibility.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just checked and I overprovisioned even more ridiculously than I thought - / on this machine is 150GB. I'm still using ext4 on this install - I can't remember but on my secondary desktop I might have gone with btrfs but I don't remember offhand.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Why can't you just clean up old kernel images? Your updater should be doing it automagically, but if it isn't there is really no reason to have more than 2 or 3 old kernel images to roll back to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Assuming this is a redhat type system, in ancient times yum wouldn't clean up old kernels, forcing admins to manually remove the packages. But if you're still running one of those releases you got much bigger problems. :v:

These days it keeps just three, the original the system was installed with, the previous kernel, and the newest one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Assuming this is a redhat type system, in ancient times yum wouldn't clean up old kernels, forcing admins to manually remove the packages. But if you're still running one of those releases you got much bigger problems. :v:

These days it keeps just three, the original the system was installed with, the previous kernel, and the newest one.

The number kept is actually configurable, but yeah, your package manager should be handling that for you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RFC2324 posted:

Why can't you just clean up old kernel images? Your updater should be doing it automagically, but if it isn't there is really no reason to have more than 2 or 3 old kernel images to roll back to.

Apt/pkcon/whatever should be taking care of it, but I had 15 old kernel versions last time I checked, because I was running tight on space.

Maybe it'll behave better now that I've cleaned up and triple-checked that apt doesn't think a bunch of old kernels need to be installed.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

apt won't remove old kernels if they were manually installed.

You can mark them as being auto installed (and therefore auto removable) by using apt-mark

If you do an apt-mark showmanual | grep ^linux and you get a whole load of kernel packages showing up that's why they're not disappearing

(yum just has a config entry in yum.conf)

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 12, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm pretty sure I didn't install 15 consecutive kernel versions manually :v:

Now everything should be apt-mark'ed correctly, let's see if that doesn't take care of it, thanks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That is weird, no idea why they'd be getting marked as manual but its a starting point to google at least

An apt autoremove should clear them out if youve not done it already

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it got rid of all but the current and previous versions. I'll keep an eye on whether it behaves from now on (it's getting replaced with openSUSE at some point, once I stop being lazy).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, it got rid of all but the current and previous versions. I'll keep an eye on whether it behaves from now on (it's getting replaced with openSUSE at some point, once I stop being lazy).

This made me realize it's got to be around the one-year anniversary of me running Tumbleweed on this box.

My old desktop is running Leap 15.2 and I'm strongly considering just going to Tumbleweed on it, too, instead of doing the point upgrade to 15.3.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This made me realize it's got to be around the one-year anniversary of me running Tumbleweed on this box.

My old desktop is running Leap 15.2 and I'm strongly considering just going to Tumbleweed on it, too, instead of doing the point upgrade to 15.3.

I just switched from tumbleweed to leap 15.2, and I gotta say its a step backward

tumbleweed keeps breaking my old rear end nvidia card

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I just switched from tumbleweed to leap 15.2, and I gotta say its a step backward

tumbleweed keeps breaking my old rear end nvidia card

The one thing I have done (after Nvidia breaking on me once) is to scan the updates before installing them to see if the kernel is updating a bigger step, like 5.10.x to 5.11.x, because that's when the Nvidia drivers seem to freak out. If I see a significant kernel update I'll delay it until I see the Nvidia driver also update, and I haven't had a problem since. 5.11.1 to 5.11.2 and so on hasn't seemed to cause me any problems - looks like I'm currently at 5.11.11.

Disclaimer: This machine is running a 2070 Super and my old machine is running a 1060 6GB, so they are running the G05 driver package or whatever naming structure Nvidia drivers use, so I'm not sure if the older drivers get updated as fast on the Tumbleweed Nvidia repo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The one thing I have done (after Nvidia breaking on me once) is to scan the updates before installing them to see if the kernel is updating a bigger step, like 5.10.x to 5.11.x, because that's when the Nvidia drivers seem to freak out. If I see a significant kernel update I'll delay it until I see the Nvidia driver also update, and I haven't had a problem since. 5.11.1 to 5.11.2 and so on hasn't seemed to cause me any problems - looks like I'm currently at 5.11.11.

Disclaimer: This machine is running a 2070 Super and my old machine is running a 1060 6GB, so they are running the G05 driver package or whatever naming structure Nvidia drivers use, so I'm not sure if the older drivers get updated as fast on the Tumbleweed Nvidia repo.

I don't bother because snapper works real good, but I its happened twice since the beginning of the year and a third time is just too annoying now. I already had to fight with zypper randomly deciding to install noveau every time I updated.

And yeah, the G04 driver seems to lag a bit, because the fix is just to hold back on updates for a few weeks. I imagine its just waiting on someone there to go 'oh yeah, we need to repackage so versions match' and push out the new version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My NAS/HTPC and laptop are both running 15.2, and the more sedate pace of updates has been a nice change compared to the rolling-release distros I used before (Gentoo, Arch, KDE Neon). I don't run the latest greatest hardware, and I don't need the bleeding edge of software features, so it suits me just fine.

On the other hand, KDE Neon always has the newest KDE releases, and there are a few quality of life improvements over the version in 15.2, so I'm kinda sorta considering it.