Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do people fit their Falcon-Ps? I’ve tired them with sabots in the turrets and harpoons in the other slots and I can never tel how effective they are (as their speed usually means they end up on the flanks of the fight, where I can’t see them easily, which often gets them crunched for their trouble if they get cut-off).

It’s also hard to tell when they’re out of ammo. I wish targeting a friendly shows you their ammo status.

No Mods: Sabot Front / Sides, Reaper Pods in turrets and Burst PD Lasers in Small Energies. Racks(S) / Hardened Shields(S) ECCM whatever is left in caps. even once it blows it's missiles it's gonna have like 13k + ~.5 Shield Damage so it's a nice distraction.

Mods:

Same general vibe but with high speed rockets like the DME Katyusha pods or the Diable Plover Rocket pods instead of Reapers and a guided Anti Shield Missile like the DME Voltigeur ASM's or Shadowyards Stilletto in place of the sabots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The Champion with needlers+tach lance is great fun. The needle burst forces the shields to drop, then a high energy focus lance burst inflicts crippling damage and EMP. Tanky, plenty of PD slots, good all around.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel like the 3 hull mods skill is a trap compared to being able to field a fully kitted Radiant. It's scary how effectively and effortlessly it wipes out everything in sight.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sandweed posted:

They only spawn at blue giants afik.

The first one I found was in the centre of a trinary of three different coloured stars (including a blue) which I assumed was scripted until I started another run and no such system existed. So that was a cool thing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FrickenMoron posted:

I feel like the 3 hull mods skill is a trap compared to being able to field a fully kitted Radiant. It's scary how effectively and effortlessly it wipes out everything in sight.

You say that but when blackrock finally updates I want to see how much a fully kitted out Karkinos can do. Blackrock has some seriously good expensive hullmods ripe for building in. They might eat a nerf though...

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way to get more of the weapons you find in the Alpha Site system? I managed to snag a few odds and ends in there - I forget if they were from the ship or the shielded container you can find - but it's kind of an odd assortment. One cryoflamer, two of some antimatter missile, and one each of a couple different small energy weapons. Is this it or can I eventually get more? I haven't tried to fight the things that guard the Coronal Hypershunt yet.

Where did you find the container? I flew all over hitting sensor pings and nothing.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there anyway to flatline a colonies growth? Like I have a lvl 4 colony that I want to settle down cause its expensive and does its job. But when I turn off either hazard pay or free port pop still goes up!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Plek posted:

Finished what there was for plot missions. A lot of fetching but the writing was mostly good and hints at a lot more possible. I look forward to fighting off the hellish beings unleashed upon the sector. Or whatever is next, anyway.

Also putting in my vote for the Champion as the new best ship. It does everything a cruiser should do.

You can get a glimpse of the future story content by finding a Coronal Hypershunt. It’s quite a thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone have experience with the “Red” faction mod? Ships look like big cheap red Tonka trucks, obsession with smuggling illegal cookies

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

caedwalla posted:

Where did you find the container? I flew all over hitting sensor pings and nothing.

It was like "northeast" of the Alpha Site planet. I found it with the neutrino scanner thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also this is comically overdue but does anyone have any good visualizations or explanations on how ship movement works? I understand that holding down Shift turns me into strafe mode, but my sense of direction and keys become all messed up as I’m strafing around a ship in a circular manner.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gaj posted:

Is there anyway to flatline a colonies growth? Like I have a lvl 4 colony that I want to settle down cause its expensive and does its job. But when I turn off either hazard pay or free port pop still goes up!

Why do you want it to stop growing? They only get more profitable as they get bigger

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Soks posted:

There's unofficial patches for SWP, Underworld and Interstellar Imperium on the discord. The person that made them specifically asks they not be linked elsewhere but um... shrug.

If the above isn't kosher and a mod deletes it, search "from: Dal#7192 unofficial" in #modded_gameplay on the Starsector discord.

Thank you SO MUCH for this! You have no idea how happy that makes me! :)

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Vengarr posted:

You can get a glimpse of the future story content by finding a Coronal Hypershunt. It’s quite a thing.

Yeah I've bumped into a couple, no idea on how I'm going to deal with them yet. They're... not safe.

Wafflecopper posted:

The first one I found was in the centre of a trinary of three different coloured stars (including a blue) which I assumed was scripted until I started another run and no such system existed. So that was a cool thing.

One of mine is like this, so maybe there's a selection of configurations the game picks from. I've also found a trinary with the third being a black hole literally skimming the surface of one of the other stars. Disappointingly plain looking.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Was it... black?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I cheated and added a Guardian droneship into my fleet and man, properly fitted out they can solo entire fleets.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do people fit their Falcon-Ps? I’ve tired them with sabots in the turrets and harpoons in the other slots and I can never tel how effective they are (as their speed usually means they end up on the flanks of the fight, where I can’t see them easily, which often gets them crunched for their trouble if they get cut-off).

It’s also hard to tell when they’re out of ammo. I wish targeting a friendly shows you their ammo status.

All Reapers. The small slot reapers are optional, but why not more reapers if you can?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaj posted:

As far as I know there is no reason at all why you would want a colony to stop growing, because industries all produce more money and stuff and the colony gets other bonuses to make it just flat out better every time it hits a new growth milestone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you plan on abandoning a colony later it can be useful to keep it at size 3, I guess. I think size 4 is already too late though.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

There's one reason; if you intend to abandon it at some point and don't want to reach colony size 5, where it becomes impossible to abandon the colony easily. Tech mining little places in the middle of nowhere is the usual reason for short-lived colonies.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Phew, after more than a year I finally got Shadowyards updated again. Hopefully I caught all the errors in testing this time; the 0.9.1 series was bugged to hell and back.

In case anyone's interested: https://github.com/MShadowy/shadowyards/releases/download/0.9.5-rc1/Shadowyards_0.9.5-rc1.zip

And the changelog: https://github.com/MShadowy/shadowyards/releases/tag/0.9.5-rc1

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Atopian posted:

Was it... black?

So black. I'd expect to see it ripping a stream of mass off of the nearby stars but I'm guessing the system was randomly generated and just doesn't have a black hole-scraping-up-against-a-star graphic.

MShadowy posted:

Phew, after more than a year I finally got Shadowyards updated again.

Hell yeah.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

MShadowy posted:

Phew, after more than a year I finally got Shadowyards updated again. Hopefully I caught all the errors in testing this time; the 0.9.1 series was bugged to hell and back.

In case anyone's interested: https://github.com/MShadowy/shadowyards/releases/download/0.9.5-rc1/Shadowyards_0.9.5-rc1.zip

And the changelog: https://github.com/MShadowy/shadowyards/releases/tag/0.9.5-rc1

Awesome!!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I started a new playthrough since nex updated and I think the best part of early-game is all the nonsense bullshit you end up doing to your ships due to lack of availability of items and such. I did a solo-frigate Persean start and ended up getting a bar mission early on to get a Heron for 39k, which ended up being about 50k-ish after buying the required amount of marines. Suddenly I have a fleet consisting of a Heron, a Brawler, and a Wolf(P) and while I eventually picked up an Enforcer, for a bit I was basically flying around tackling idiot-tier pirates (the ones that have a DD or two and a few supporting FFs) using my Heron as a lovely battlecarrier with Broadswords, a single mauler, and a single tac laser, because I couldn't find anything better.

Behold: peak Heron performance :allears:

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I know there is no reason at all why you would want a colony to stop growing, because industries all produce more money and stuff and the colony gets other bonuses to make it just flat out better every time it hits a new growth milestone.
IIRC factions now don't ever attack size 3 colonies so it can be situationally useful to keep a colony at size 3 (like you don't have the ability to protect it yet for example).

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Insert name here posted:

*Skeleton crew running from one side of the ship to the other when you switch weapon groups, as Benny Hill music plays*

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I know there's ways to generate sectors of custom size, but is there a way to generate a sector of custom dimensions as well? If I wanted a sector that was 5 light-years tall and 500 light years long, with all the "core" worlds at one end, would that be possible?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

MShadowy posted:

Awesome. Shadowyards is integral to my habituated idea of the 'vanilla' experience. Don't know how else to express my gratitude for all the hours of flying your destroyers around but hope this helps!

Insert name here posted:

I started a new playthrough since nex updated and I think the best part of early-game is all the nonsense bullshit you end up doing to your ships due to lack of availability of items and such. I did a solo-frigate Persean start and ended up getting a bar mission early on to get a Heron for 39k, which ended up being about 50k-ish after buying the required amount of marines. Suddenly I have a fleet consisting of a Heron, a Brawler, and a Wolf(P) and while I eventually picked up an Enforcer, for a bit I was basically flying around tackling idiot-tier pirates (the ones that have a DD or two and a few supporting FFs) using my Heron as a lovely battlecarrier with Broadswords, a single mauler, and a single tac laser, because I couldn't find anything better.

Yeah, this stuff is often peak Starsector. One of my criticisms of 0.95 is actually that rewards are, if anything, a bit faster than they were before. Which shortens the weird frigate/destroyer stage of the campaign.

Zane fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 13, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

MShadowy posted:

Phew, after more than a year I finally got Shadowyards updated again.

:yeah:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'm pretty much just waiting on Boggled's Terraforming and Station Construction to update with functional terraforming and maybe include the Kletka Simulators from that mod and then I'll be restarting to build a perfect garden of a dozen planets around a blue supergiant or something idk. I'll fit in Nex and the clown car of faction mods while I'm at it but I really want that terraforming mod to build a forever home with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, built-in SO is so good I didn't even notice until a dozen hours into this game that I was on normal difficulty (yeah I prefer easy, sue me). Gonna be tragic when it finally gets nerfed into the dirt.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Beat the Tesseracts with a conventional fleet, no capitals, no Ziggurat, no unknown weapons. :toot:

Only losses were two Tempests. Turns out the Doom is as good at killing Doritos as it is at, well, killing everything else.

e: I also finally got my hands on four Rift Lances, so now I can do some really stupid builds.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I should probably do the story at some point. On my first save I got the breadcrumb pointer (if you don't do the story for a while you'll actually run into an academian in a bar eventually who's option to talk to him is highlighted in yellow and he'll point to you the academy and put a permanent reminder in your intel screen) something like 10 in-game years ago. Those dudes have been waiting forever lol.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Story is actually quite good—rewarding and well-written.

Sebastian’s missions in particular are easy money and a good “help I bought the game and I dunno what to do” option. They’re simple but interesting, with several variations of each basic type with different wrinkles to keep things fresh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, the story is great; memorable characters, decent variety of mission types, has some really hard encounters but they're all optional so if you want to start with plot right off the bat in a new game you're not punished for it, and the rewards for completing the whole thing are game-changing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses in the 1.0 release... in a few years, probably. :negative:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah I always planned on doing it I just kept getting distracted and it's like whoops now it's 15 in-game years later and I control the single most powerful faction in the sector

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I made friends with every faction apart from the Pathers and my 6 planet supersystem is a just a constant battleground between pirates and the various factions whenever they go to war. My Drydock is filling up with derelicts.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

MShadowy posted:

What loving percentage of the mod index is gonna turn out to be goons.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Nalesh posted:

My fursona is a Nazi mod maintainer with an anime avatar.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Nalesh posted:

A fair number of the best mods are made by goons.

Also I still love the game but the new skill system really needs a serious revision. I sort of like the design concept of picking between two exclusive choices, however there are very few skills that difficult to choose between (in my opinion) and some that are essentially must have - like the ECM where mid/end game almost all enemy fleets have bucketloads of ECM of their own, so unless you want -20% weapon range all the time, you need to take ECM. Many skills (leadership especially) have bonuses that are very quickly provide little benefit because the player is forced to grow his/her fleet as quickly as possible.

Admittedly my biggest gripe with the game is any of the asymmetrical design choices that disadvantage the player only. Hyperspace storms (travelling through hyperspace normally is the worst thing in this game), enemy fleet recovery (without supplies), dooms and sort of phase ships in general. The enemy doesn't care if it loses ships, and there's a certain tri-tachyion doom fleet which is just the most miserable combat experience ever possibly. Worse than REDACTED or any other plot fights.

I guess it's time to figure out how to get the dev environment setup for starsector and do some modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MShadowy posted:

Nice name collision with Blackrock. You both have particle lances, though theirs are smol