Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ironically the curie was supposed to have been 1/100,000,000th smaller a unit but Marie was deeply offended by the prospect of having her name attached to such a tiny quantity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

ironically the curie was supposed to have been 1/100,000,000th smaller a unit but Marie was deeply offended by the prospect of having her name attached to such a tiny quantity.

Planck is still mad over this

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

xtal posted:

Planck is still mad over this

constantly

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

shame on an IGA posted:

That's the "you drank some really dillute isotopes on purpose for medical imaging" kind of radiological contamination, this is the "your hair starts falling out if you're in the room with it for a few hours" kind of radiation.

I'm calculating about 400 rem/h at 1 foot distance

I get around 600, or 7,500 to local tissue if placed in a shirt or pants pocket, though I may be loving that up.

That's not a good source to lose.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Talkc posted:

That is an uncomfortable amount of isotope.

I dunno, I think it's pretty nice.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So is this correct (radiation is not my field)? "Like alcohol intoxication levels, levels of exposure to radioactivity (due to radioactivity deposited in the body) depend on a person's weight.

No, that's a different situation. This isn't an isotope being ingested, it's a source sitting there in a shielded box and if you take it out of the shielding it's going to send gammas in all directions. Exposure would depend on proximity and duration. This is the kind of thing in play:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/radevents/1984MOR1.html

Here's an in-depth report of another iridium orphan source, of about half the activity level as the one that just got stolen:

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 13, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also worth noting that most of the time when these are reported stolen, it's because the truck they were in was stolen and the radiosource was just along for the ride.

They usually get recovered pretty quickly when the thieves figure out what they have and abandon the vehicle because all of it is too hot to bother with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will a properly-shielded isotope source still show up on roadside radiation detectors?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Lone Badger posted:

Will a properly-shielded isotope source still show up on roadside radiation detectors?

Depends on how well it is shielded. The Radiation Portal Monitors DOE commissioned after 9/11 and distributed nationwide and even globally are sensitive enough to pick up shipments of bananas and even granite. Those are typically considered spurious/nuisance alarms and get calibrated out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/Q7spYzi.mp4

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Radiation detectors don't really work like they do in movies, and any source should be well shielded enough that you can't detect it with a regular GM tube detector from any appreciable distance, also radiation field strength decreases with the cube of distance.

Portal monitors are a different deal, they're very sensitive, and often have multiple detectors that can discriminate between radiation sources, but you also have to drive through them since they won't work at a significant distance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Depends on how well it is shielded.

I'm thinking of the shielding that would normally be used during transport and operation, the one it's in when it's stolen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm thinking of the shielding that would normally be used during transport and operation, the one it's in when it's stolen.

Right until the thieves decided to scrap the casing and pry it open.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forgot which thread I was in and was waiting for the cops to open fire on the sharks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ruddiger posted:

I forgot which thread I was in and was waiting for the cops to open fire on the sharks.

No no no, Great White Sharks

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nah sharks are way too smooth operators for the fuzz to be able to pin anything on them.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Phanatic posted:

69 curies of iridium-192

not great
not terrible
nice!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

what in the hell why am I learning this from the loving BBC

haven't those ancient sex freaks ruined enough now they run our loving media?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zD-KjuGuiM

This guy’s occupation situation is pretty unhealthy.

This really didn't get enough attention.

What the gently caress do even do to start fixing this poo poo?

Start working on the Egyptian law courts? Try to place additional constraints on the company that owns the ship until they get that poor guy off the ship and let him get on with his life?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SerthVarnee posted:

Start working on the Egyptian law courts? Try to place additional constraints on the company that owns the ship until they get that poor guy off the ship and let him get on with his life?

I dunno but thanks for quoting this because I needed something to send me off into the abyss of unconscious existence.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Sources like this normally reside in a very stout shield of lead and steel, that reduces radiation levels to very low values, like the source never leaves that shield, it has a mechanism to expose that source consisting of gears and stuff, when transported it's "stowed" in the shield, emitting minimal amounts of radiation.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

SerthVarnee posted:

First thing is to buy this fucker a rowboat lmao

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AHH F/UGH posted:

First thing is to buy this fucker a rowboat lmao

Or at least a solar panel and a hose to shore.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/birkirh/status/1381369002006622218

My Icelandic isn't as sharp as it could be but I think that translates to "the floor is lava NG+"

The skin on a lava lake becoming detached from the crust as hotter, more buoyant liquid lava comes up from underneath and submerges it, and the older, colder, denser skin sinks to the bottom.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Thanks for the information and correction!

shame on an IGA posted:

That's the "you drank some really dillute isotopes on purpose for medical imaging" kind of radiological contamination, this is the "your hair starts falling out if you're in the room with it for a few hours" kind of radiation.

I'm calculating about 400 rem/h at 1 foot distance

Phanatic posted:

No, that's a different situation. This isn't an isotope being ingested, it's a source sitting there in a shielded box and if you take it out of the shielding it's going to send gammas in all directions. Exposure would depend on proximity and duration. This is the kind of thing in play:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/radevents/1984MOR1.html

Here's an in-depth report of another iridium orphan source, of about half the activity level as the one that just got stolen:

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There is a lot to take in here.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrb6foMzR11w5pr9j.mp4

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

My Icelandic isn't as sharp as it could be but I think that translates to "the floor is lava NG+"

My Icelandic is only marginally better than yours, but some quick guessing and looking up a few words, it's nothing too surprising :
"This video by Anitú Ólafar Jónsdóttur is imo the greatest video of this eruption".

Literally [This] mind/memory - band hers Anita is atleast hold I greatest memoryband from this eruption. [I think gos is also the root of geyser?].

Icelandic is fun - I can't read it, but it shares so much with Norwegian it's like a puzzle that makes perfect sense after you've solved it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm thinking we should use sharks to signify danger in signs and such, while shark attacks are very rare everyone knows they're best avoided.
choking on small bones is quite common for instance, so how about two shark stickers on that bucket of fried chicken parts along with the statement "chew slowly ang thoroughly before swallowing"?
or perhaps a shark sticker on the electric box warning to always shut down the main switch before attempting repairs on the domestic power grid.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Memento posted:

The skin on a lava lake becoming detached from the crust as hotter, more buoyant liquid lava comes up from underneath and submerges it, and the older, colder, denser skin sinks to the bottom.
Time works the same way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Computer viking posted:

My Icelandic is only marginally better than yours, but some quick guessing and looking up a few words, it's nothing too surprising :
"This video by Anitú Ólafar Jónsdóttur is imo the greatest video of this eruption".

Literally [This] mind/memory - band hers Anita is atleast hold I greatest memoryband from this eruption. [I think gos is also the root of geyser?].

Icelandic is fun - I can't read it, but it shares so much with Norwegian it's like a puzzle that makes perfect sense after you've solved it.

Oh I was completely joking, I read and speak no Icelandic at all. I will defer to someone named Computer viking in these cases every single time.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

SerthVarnee posted:

Isn't there a Syrian embassy in Egypt? If I was ever stuck in a foreign country with no passport, tha'd be the first place I'd be calling.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The Syrian government is a little busy nowadays

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I don't think we want this guy barrel-bombed, anyway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

Oh I was completely joking, I read and speak no Icelandic at all. I will defer to someone named Computer viking in these cases every single time.

I assumed as much - my Icelandic is only marginally better than that. :)
(Speaking Norwegian mostly means I can look at a translation and go "Ooh, that makes sense".)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Former DILF posted:

what in the hell why am I learning this from the loving BBC

haven't those ancient sex freaks ruined enough now they run our loving media?

Lol wtf?

Ancient sex freaks or not, they’re a common international news source

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SerthVarnee posted:

And has he considered just not swimming back

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SerthVarnee posted:

I would probably become such a nuisance to the Egyptians that they send me home. Start fires on the ship, force the Egyptians to come respond twice a day to emergencies. Feign ignorance at every turn. Run though all the international signals for distress.

Azhais posted:

The authorities have his passport, if he just stays on land he has no way to survive or make it home.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Azhais posted:

Yeah, if I were in that situation I'd probably try to get arrested and/or cause a diplomatic incident

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Memento posted:

It means Anita Jonsdottur has huge balls from the most ancient of nordic brass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The latest PBF collab is on topic:

https://twitter.com/LukeDangler/status/1381994315216486403