Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

Wait, he did? I saw that HITB, the one where he shouted that Rian Johnson put Star Wars "in a loving grave", right?

I think that may have been later. Their initial reaction to all those films were "yeah, pretty good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Mike was describing me exactly when he asked if there were kids who saw Event Horizon and were horrified at the time but now nostalgic about it like he was about Rawhead Rex. I was scared out of my mind when I somehow got a VHS of this movie at age 12 but still had to share it with other friends, like it was the video from the Ring or something, like the real poo poo that no one knew about. One of my friends adopted "Here I come, motherfuckers!" as a football battle cry. I loved it on every level, the goofyness of Cooper, the creeping dread of the message in latin, the suspense of the airlock scene, the visceral horror of uh everything, Sam Neil's awesome but sometimes humorous transformation to demonhood. Event Horizon loving owns, and the world needs way more space demon movies

I will say, Event Horizon is a much better movie than Rawhead Rex.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

They were all going down with the ship anyway in Sunshine weren't they? I remember thinking it was a suicide mission from the start and the movie never gave them an out with like an escape ship or something.

If everything went PERFECTLY the ship was umbrella shaped and the umbrella bit would go to the sun and the handle bit would return.

Then the third act happened and it was then a suicide mission so the slasher became irrelevant.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw&t=45s

e: It was Rich the first time, but Mike wrote the intro.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mike liked Vampire Assassin, and Shark Exorcist. so what if he liked Last Jedi. he is generally correct and you're too blinded by sobriety to see it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Reality Protester posted:

Mike liked Vampire Assassin, and Shark Exorcist. so what if he liked Last Jedi. he is generally correct and you're too blinded by sobriety to see it.

What if he's right? What if Jurassic World was good?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
People here remember the details of RLM reviews about as well as RLM remembers the details of the movies they review

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They werent super negative about TLJ initially (besides Rich who hates every series continuation & things changing from his childhood, final Justice League holdout), but "subvert your expectations" was an easy joke and their fans want them to hate star wars so

I dont think any version of a movie where his imaginary friends die would appeal to Rich

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the subject of barely remembered RLM episodes iirc Rich said he'd take TROS over TLJ at the end of that review, which is just proof that our beautiful boy is a hack fraud

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They hated Rogue One more than TLJ. TLJ tried to be different and failed spectacularly but Rogue One is the most inward looking, self indulgent, predictable Star Wars pablum imaginable of the new films and it has the audacity to act like it's breaking new ground.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
drat. Almost 14 hours this time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It will never end.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I loving love star wars.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rogue One owned

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

If we just destroy every copy of every star wars movie ever and then outlaw all discussion of it, how long before we are free of its deathgrip from our collective consciousness? 4 generations? 5?

Worth a shot imo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sure okay posted:

If we just destroy every copy of every star wars movie ever and then outlaw all discussion of it, how long before we are free of its deathgrip from our collective consciousness? 4 generations? 5?

Worth a shot imo

I think 1 generation, honestly. Awful nerd dads have already made it abhorrent to their children by trying to push them into liking it, so if we can ensure it doesn't¨spread to the next generation after Z, we've won.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CODChimera posted:

Rogue One owned

Its ending is the only thing anyone remembers about it.

So i mean it's better than TLJ and TRoS, but those aren't high bars to clear

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

I think 1 generation, honestly. Awful nerd dads have already made it abhorrent to their children by trying to push them into liking it, so if we can ensure it doesn't¨spread to the next generation after Z, we've won.

I can't even imagine the shame of being a dad in 2021 and trying to convince your kids to like star wars knowing that kid will find out return of the jedi, the prequel trilogy, rogue one, solo, the holiday special, the cartoons, the vide games, and the sequel trilogy exist, not to mention the books, comics, and other miscellaneous media.

What a loving shameful fandom.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gen Z probably would like the new trilogy if it werent for TROS, which is just an embarassing damp squib. You can get away with a lot in your series if you dont show fear, and that movie was brazenly a coward move

Anyways we'll never escape star wars and people will always want a laser sword

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Finally, the last copy of Star Wars Holiday Special is in captivity. The Galaxy is at peace.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

smallest domino: George Lucas asks “what if a laser was a sword?”

largest domino: we waste the precious few years we have on this earth arguing about space wizards

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cutedge posted:

Why bother with an Event Horizon remake when they could just make a movie about a 40k ship going into the warp and it's geller shields malfunction and chaos seeps into the ship. I mean, that's the premise of Event Horizon, is it not?

Because no one is going to watch a movie called Warhammer 40K.

I agree with everyone Jay said in this re:View and I've stated many times before in the Horror Thread that Event Horizon deserves a remake.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Raising my children on the flawless Mad Max films series as God intended, because all other film fandoms are weak poo poo for pathetic nerds whose entire existence is wrapping your dickless, spineless, wormlike self into knots trying to create apologies.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My child will watch the Brave Little Toaster on repeat, all day, every day, until they are 23 years old.

Then I will devour my own eyeballs.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

my sons keep asking to play the lazersword movie and I keep showing them Alienator and now they're crying and wont talk to me. raising 20 year olds is tough.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Playing Rich Evans Supercut [fan compilation] for my large adult sons for the 7000th time.

They hoist me on their shoulders and call me world's dest bad because the RLM has rotted their brains into dried husks of putrid gin-soaked hot dog meat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The RLM Burn a Million Quid (on Mike’s booze)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Gen Z probably would like the new trilogy if it werent for TROS, which is just an embarassing damp squib. You can get away with a lot in your series if you dont show fear, and that movie was brazenly a coward move

Anyways we'll never escape star wars and people will always want a laser sword

I really don't think they would. Imo most of the positivity about the franchise was based on nebulous future stories that could be whatever the person watching imagined they would be, right up until the trilogy was complete and suddenly there were no more waiting frontiers to help imagination to plaster over the cracks. They needed to make a good trilogy from movie one.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

On a whim I am rewatching Mystery Men for the first time since like.....2000.

It's weird as hell and I'd like to see another super hero film shot like it. How did this movie even happen?

Mystery Men is a fine and odd film. I have a strong feeling that the director (who never directed a feature before or after MM) got hosed over “Fincher on Alien 3” style during production, but nobody will ever talk about what happened.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Mike was describing me exactly when he asked if there were kids who saw Event Horizon and were horrified at the time but now nostalgic about it like he was about Rawhead Rex. I was scared out of my mind when I somehow got a VHS of this movie at age 12 but still had to share it with other friends, like it was the video from the Ring or something, like the real poo poo that no one knew about. One of my friends adopted "Here I come, motherfuckers!" as a football battle cry. I loved it on every level, the goofyness of Cooper, the creeping dread of the message in latin, the suspense of the airlock scene, the visceral horror of uh everything, Sam Neil's awesome but sometimes humorous transformation to demonhood. Event Horizon loving owns, and the world needs way more space demon movies

:same: :hfive:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

poisonpill posted:

A good recommendation for this thread, but a bad movie, is Lifeforce which is a weird perverted movie with Patrick Stewart

Lifeforce is legit entertaining in a BotW way. Directed by Tobe Hooper, the Texas Chainsaw and Poltergeist guy!
Would also recommend Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wasn't Lifeforce somehow the largest budget movie ever made in the UK at the time? It was supposed to be a giant blockbuster, which is weird, considering... everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I can't even imagine the shame of being a dad in 2021 and trying to convince your kids to like star wars knowing that kid will find out return of the jedi, the prequel trilogy, rogue one, solo, the holiday special, the cartoons, the vide games, and the sequel trilogy exist, not to mention the books, comics, and other miscellaneous media.

What a loving shameful fandom.

Jedi owns, sorry

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sigher posted:

Because no one is going to watch a movie called Warhammer 40K.

I agree with everyone Jay said in this re:View and I've stated many times before in the Horror Thread that Event Horizon deserves a remake.

You really, really, really don't want a remake of event horizon made with contemporary horror sensibilities

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

You really, really, really don't want a remake of event horizon made with contemporary horror sensibilities

How so? The last 10 years have been great for horror

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jedi owns, sorry

the parts of RotJ with the emperor are the best parts of all Star Wars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ohhhh yeah get a24 to do it. Yeah that I'll watch. Otherwise gently caress no leave it be it's not that bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

APlentySnore

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

Wasn't Lifeforce somehow the largest budget movie ever made in the UK at the time? It was supposed to be a giant blockbuster, which is weird, considering... everything

It should’ve been a hit considering everything it had going for it. It had a tight plot, great body horror elements, boobs, great acting, Patrick Stewart, action, and boobs.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Workprints:

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q7r563ozlr1qf1ker.mp4

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus