Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

incidentally the closest one word translation for chuunibyou would be sophomoric. Still not great because it's also used to refer to a different and specific genre.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that has similar etymology but it doesn't get across the whole delusions of grandeur thing

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I'd read the early chapters of To Your Eternity before, and the first episode still gave my tear ducts a workout.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Tales of Woe posted:

that has similar etymology but it doesn't get across the whole delusions of grandeur thing

It’s also not something that I’ve ever really heard used in a conversation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Loan words are a thing for a reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FilthyImp posted:

Alice and Narnia don't count because there's a method of transmission that remains open.

Narnia counts in the last book then lol they're even isekai'd by being killed

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chumbler posted:

Loan words are a thing for a reason.

Tell that to L'Academie

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Two episodes in and Odd Taxi remains surprisingly compelling for a show that's basically a series of conversations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sakurazuka posted:

Narnia counts in the last book then lol they're even isekai'd by being killed

Except Susan, because she dares to like boys more than God. So she gets to live in a world where her family is dead.

quote:

"she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations."

What a whore(I am being sarcastic. C.S. Lewis is a POS)

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 12, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

DurosKlav posted:

Except Susan, because she dares to like boys more than God. So she gets to live in a world where her family is dead.

What a whore(I am being sarcastic. C.S. Lewis is a POS)

Was it Golden Compass where a different author kinda wanted to write series that acted as a rebuttal to the bullshit in Lewis's work?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was it Golden Compass where a different author kinda wanted to write series that acted as a rebuttal to the bullshit in Lewis's work?

More or less. I think they both end up being narrative failures for much the same reasons in the end, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To Your Eternity looks good so far, and now that it's airing it's time to remind everyone the original manga is by the author of A Silent Voice and it's great.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

To Your Eternity looks good so far, and now that it's airing it's time to remind everyone the original manga is by the author of A Silent Voice and it's great.

Oh dang I did not know this. Crunchy is also simulpubbing the manga. It's ahead of scanlators, last I checked.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The alpaca lady in Oddtaxi is powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8OodTk6-E

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stealing-and-dealing meds from her office to pay off student loans, which somehow got her mixed up with criminal baboon, who is connected to crooked cop, which ends with baboon pulling a gun on the depressed middle-aged taxi driver who hallucinates everyone around him as animal-people and is harboring a teenage runaway of unknown significance

this show has a lot going on beneath the hood

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Vis a vis To Your Eternity episode 1: im not crying your crying

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

It really does and I'm looking forward to how this all shakes out.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

stealing-and-dealing meds from her office to pay off student loans, which somehow got her mixed up with criminal baboon, who is connected to crooked cop, which ends with baboon pulling a gun on the depressed middle-aged taxi driver who hallucinates everyone around him as animal-people and is harboring a teenage runaway of unknown significance

I think half of the speculation in this is wrong but I respect it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
'chuuni' is exactly as overused, overplayed, and boring a term in japanese, as 'cringe' is in english. im sorry you had to learn this

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Oxxidation posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone actually is animals, as the bar lady referred to his friend as a hopeless monkey

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I just want to point out that Fruits Basket is back on, and we're getting into the meaty revelations about the Soma family.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Talorat posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone actually is animals, as the bar lady referred to his friend as a hopeless monkey

rewatched that scene in the first episode and that line never comes up. no one makes the animal comparisons besides odawaka himself, and the doctor and nurse treat his describing them as "gorilla" and "alpaca" with a mix of amusement and concern. this is also explicitly our world as opposed to some zootopia-esque analogue, and odakawa's flashbacks all have human silhouettes

we're only two eps in but my sense right now is that the animal-people aesthetic in this show is mainly to illustrate odakawa's alienation from everyone else

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm generally against a dub adding in any "hip" lingo unless the nature of the story or comedy really depends on the slang of a particular time/place to work. It instantly dates things in a bad way like the pop-culture references in a Dreamworks animation, where it's often outdated before the filming is even finished.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

I'm generally against a dub adding in any "hip" lingo unless the nature of the story or comedy really depends on the slang of a particular time/place to work. It instantly dates things in a bad way like the pop-culture references in a Dreamworks animation, where it's often outdated before the filming is even finished.

With Dragon House Hunting it referenced Luigi's Mansion and Resident Evil visually so too late for that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Electric Phantasm posted:

With Dragon House Hunting it referenced Luigi's Mansion and Resident Evil visually so too late for that.

Luigi's Mansion and Resident Eil are classics and like, 20 years old. That's not really current.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Raposa posted:

Vis a vis To Your Eternity episode 1: im not crying your crying

Didn't think I'd pick a feels show as my one anime to watch this season but here we are.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Is that a Luigi's Mansion reference in the Dragon House Hunters anime?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Letty basically gets a Poltergust 3000

And the Strobulb is something that shows up in the second and third games

And it sounds like he straight up says Strobulb so it's not something added by the translator.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also a Resident Evil reference

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Translating slang to slang is fine I guess, 99.99% of the time the japanese goes over my head anyway, but I do kinda miss the fansub days with TL notes (see: "nakama").

E: a whole screen of TL notes to explain why a joke is funny isn't the best application of this approach though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

utamaru posted:

E: a whole screen of TL notes to explain why a joke is funny isn't the best application of this approach though.

Counterpoint: a whole screen of tl notes is funny in of itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

utamaru posted:

Translating slang to slang is fine I guess, 99.99% of the time the japanese goes over my head anyway, but I do kinda miss the fansub days with TL notes (see: "nakama").

Siren Visual, an official anime publisher in Australia, liked to do that with the subtitles on their releases :barf:.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

utamaru posted:

honestly i'd be super down for the joke explaining TL notes as like, a possible second viewing experience or something. like getting the director's commentary track, only instead it's explaining all the japanese language nuances that don't translate well

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the original Excel Saga DVDs did that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kwyndig posted:

I think the original Excel Saga DVDs did that.

I've got those DVD's and can confirm they do that in the style of the old Pop-Up Video pop-ups.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Talorat posted:

its hardly a twist

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Ok I agree with all the replies, give me multiple page TL notes now.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

its hardly a twist

give us the human version of the warthog

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Erg posted:

give us the human version of the warthog

turn your monitor off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The biggest indicator that everyone in Oddtaxi is human is that they name drop Starbucks and it's not some form of animal pun like Starbarks or something.