Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Gameplay is always the worst part of video games, and the sooner everyone realizes this the sooner gaming can achieve greatness. The future of gaming is a book or scroll on screen which the player consumes by reading. Achievements will be given by reading chapters of the book or by writing insightful marginalia. I am available as a design consultant if any video game executives are reading this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want to disagree but as someone with a vn character as an avatar I cannot do so.

An internet connected vn where the players could leave marginalia and speculation in the medium itself is a really cool idea

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

An internet connected vn where the players could leave marginalia and speculation in the medium itself is a really cool idea

lol

Really the need the sublime gaming experience of reading messages like "AMAZING CHEST AHEAD" before talking to visual novel NPCs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Here's a design consultant idea for the Assassin's Creed team, rip the current combat out and apply the parkour poo poo to it by making it so enemies are just another context element for movement and if you're holding the kill all motherfuckers button you do some sick motherfucker killing animations while moving in your desired direction and then ramp up the danger by having the direction you move leave you open to a particular angle of attack so combat in groups is all about situational and spatial awareness and making sure your own movement isn't about to get you hosed up, but if you do it really well it looks super badass at all times

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

lol

Really the need the sublime gaming experience of reading messages like "AMAZING CHEST AHEAD" before talking to visual novel NPCs.

see i was thinking it would be all poo poo memes and misspelled slurs

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the only truly 'kinetic' visual novels i've read are higurashi when they cry and like 2/3 of umineko when they cry but unless a VN has really significant gameplay elements (like the escape rooms in Zero Escape or the investigations and trials in DR) my brain classifies 'em way more as books/media rather than games

books with really amazing soundtracks?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Play posted:

I like to think about how that would work, practically. Every shell has a mini shield that goes up when you fire the shotgun? A set of pants that vomits out bullets every now and then, directly into your gun? How do these pants work exactly, seem pretty advanced for... pants

I was thinking about that when I was playing before and chalked it up to your near-godlike powers as an Altered. To the guy that you shot until the pants came out, they were just pants. But something about the pants interacts with your guys weird time magic and now they stick bullets in your gun, but only when you make them happy by reloading them when shielded.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meme Poker Party posted:

lol

Reading a work as a collaboration is inherently more interesting way to experince something in my opinion. Others may have differing experiences, ways of viewing, or supplementary knowledge that can deepen your understanding of a given work.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Reading a work as a collaboration is inherently more interesting way to experince something in my opinion. Others may have differing experiences, ways of viewing, or supplementary knowledge that can deepen your understanding of a given work.

i think it would need at least some human moderation on top of an automated system or something because people are dicks but it's a really cool idea for sure

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

I know I was just trolling you. I actually love that kinda stuff, in a general sense. Not sure myself how it could be meaningfully applied to a narrative experience like that though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

I want to disagree but as someone with a vn character as an avatar I cannot do so.

You best start believ'n in shitposts Miss Turner

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

the only truly 'kinetic' visual novels i've read are higurashi when they cry and like 2/3 of umineko when they cry but unless a VN has really significant gameplay elements (like the escape rooms in Zero Escape or the investigations and trials in DR) my brain classifies 'em way more as books/media rather than games

Okay but did you play 428 Shibuya Scramble yet

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Okay but did you play 428 Shibuya Scramble yet

i have not yet but i've heard good things

i've had AI Somnium Files on my switch literally since release though, that's probably what i should tackle

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

i have not yet but i've heard good things

i've had AI Somnium Files on my switch literally since release though, that's probably what i should tackle

It's really good cause it's like the story itself is a puzzle to solve

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Is speed running an e-sport?

Speed running is as much of a sport as NASCAR

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

speed running is a symptom of deeper psychological and personal issues

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speed Running is basically just swimming; its all going through as fast as possible but we also give awards for different and ever more restricted and nonsensical ways to get through it too.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I like those Summoning Salt documentaries on Youtube about speedrun record histories. They're usually more about the community discovery process, which can be kind of impressive considering how small and niche the communities around speedrunning a single game are usually.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

not sure how into ace attorney you were but there's a reasonably active community that creates phoenix wright cases and roleplays them to a verdict with the ability to use all the sprite animations and music cues. It's about as toxic as you might expect though.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 13, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Woden
May 6, 2006

Redezga posted:

I like those Summoning Salt documentaries on Youtube about speedrun record histories. They're usually more about the community discovery process, which can be kind of impressive considering how small and niche the communities around speedrunning a single game are usually.

I prefer Karl Jobst because he's not a mumble mouth.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

signalnoise posted:

Here's a design consultant idea for the Assassin's Creed team, rip the current combat out and apply the parkour poo poo to it by making it so enemies are just another context element for movement and if you're holding the kill all motherfuckers button you do some sick motherfucker killing animations while moving in your desired direction and then ramp up the danger by having the direction you move leave you open to a particular angle of attack so combat in groups is all about situational and spatial awareness and making sure your own movement isn't about to get you hosed up, but if you do it really well it looks super badass at all times

remember when assassins creed games used to be about NOT getting into combat, because assassins are specifically bad at fighting strong enemies without trickery and sneak attacks

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fur20 posted:

remember when assassins creed games used to be about NOT getting into combat, because assassins are specifically bad at fighting strong enemies without trickery and sneak attacks

I'm sorry but I genuinely do not remember it that way

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i like the cowboy speedrunner who only does NES games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm sorry but I genuinely do not remember it that way

i think ac1 and 2 at least felt that way, 2 less so because you had lots of equipment upgrades. but you didn't want to fight heavily armored enemies without either poisons or getting the drop on them, and you really wanted to avoid fighting large groups of weak enemies if you could help it, and running was usually a better idea if it came to that. hell during a tight escape a dude with a crossbow was your worst enemy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only game is the series that made even a halfhearted attempt at it was the first one. And even then only during the actual named character assassination missions. Kind of. If you felt like it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fur20 posted:

Having played AC1 within the last calendar year I do not remember this

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Disco Elysium was better before they added total voice over because of Dot Major and Dasha.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, AC1 and 2 had the overpowered hidden blade counter, Revelations added killstreaks specifically for dealing with groups. At least the Red in the Face escapes in 1 felt tense enough you'd instinctively try to get out of combat and onto higher ground even if you really could take everybody on without extra challenge

what legit made me dread taking groups on was the loving pistol wielders in Unity and Syndicate, they'd always position themselves just outside to get free hits on you. but then the Blade of Suger neuters them as well

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
AC's combat was always so trivial you ran away just for the challenge.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Vic posted:

AC's combat was always so trivial you ran away just for the challenge.

I always thought escaping a major assassination was better than the actual combat by a longshot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty telling in that the entire genre that Assassin's Creed basically created tends to make the stealth at best only one option among many.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Assassins creed games deserve to be dogpiled

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I have played dk 64 100% multiple times and enjoyed it every time. I would call it a good game*

*except beaver bother. gently caress beaver bother.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

by playing through, say, a full nine innings of baseball, you are treated to a grand workout

You had me going for a while, but now I know you be trolling.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's pretty tragic that Assassin's Creed games are mechanically and thematically almost perfect for stalking/shadowing missions, but as we now know, those mission are never fun to play.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

Is speed running an e-sport?

It's art

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Like finding an old book in the street with margin notes. I can see the appeal, in theory. In reality it'd just be penises everywhere because it's the internet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Buying used books is always disappointing cuz the marginalia always mysteriously disappears halfway through the book

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fur20 posted:

I remember how the first game ended with a colossal combat gauntlet. At least the first game tricked you into feeling stealthy and casing your targets before going in, but the reason I bounced off the series so hard was when I realized two games in that they were way too into their lovely combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

signalnoise posted:

I too enjoyed Mirrors Edge.

Was the second one any good?