Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I actually enjoy the xmen workprint a lot. It's like watching a magic show with a transparent closet and see all the tricks. And sometimes you feel like watching a flash animation circa 2000. the makeup works feel more impressive because It's one part that doesn't rely on any computer help.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

If we just destroy every copy of every star wars movie ever and then outlaw all discussion of it, how long before we are free of its deathgrip from our collective consciousness? 4 generations? 5?

Me in 2055 after covid 35 has destroyed humanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I guess the original script of Event Horizon had tentacled aliens in it which why even write that script it's just Alien.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

it's a whole hallway of star wars kids

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The awful nerd dads forcing their kids to be Star Wars fans actually had an even worse effect than driving those kids to hate Star Wars—those kids now unironically prefer the prequels and the dumb Clone Wars cartoons to the original trilogy :kheldragar:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

2072 is when the copyright on Star Wars elapses, and thus it becomes much more difficult for Disney to monetize it. By 2100 it'll likely fall into the same general bucket of "Americana" that we currently view things like the stories of Paul Bunyan--near-universally known but not particularly popular (since there's significantly less money to be made thru its popularity).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

2072 is when the copyright on Star Wars elapses, and thus it becomes much more difficult for Disney to monetize it

No it won't

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If we reach January 1, 2024 (the great Mickey Mouse copyright expiration) without another extension, I feel confident that we won't be seeing another extension in our lifetimes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

If we reach January 1, 2024 (the great Mickey Mouse copyright expiration) without another extension

We won't.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJnmaDLRx5k

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
2024? That's like, 17th circuit breaker lockdown when finally the polar caps melt and drown everyone living, only few select people will be living underwater shelters and in the entertainment pods they will show origin story of sith blacksmith monke.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Guys, existence of Sith Blacksmith implies that there are also Jedi Blacksmiths

mind = blown, libs = owned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol casting Emilia Clarke in a role where she has to do an accent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol casting Emilia Clarke in a role

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She must thank God every day they recast most of the show after the pilot.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"I am petnutt"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ahm prignint

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

smallest domino: George Lucas asks “what if a laser was a sword?”

largest domino: we waste the precious few years we have on this earth arguing about space wizards

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They should cast her in films where she can do physical comedy with her eyebrows.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Mystery Men is a fine and odd film. I have a strong feeling that the director (who never directed a feature before or after MM) got hosed over “Fincher on Alien 3” style during production, but nobody will ever talk about what happened.

IIRC, there's 1 bizarrely out of place scene like halfway though the film where it suddenly looks like they filmed it on a consumer grade camcorder in Ben Stiller's backyard and then suddenly its back to normal again. Considering all the CGI and fancy sets in the first half of the film I think there might have been some serious budget issues behind the scenes.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, there's 1 bizarrely out of place scene like halfway though the film where it suddenly looks like they filmed it on a consumer grade camcorder in Ben Stiller's backyard and then suddenly its back to normal again. Considering all the CGI and fancy sets in the first half of the film I think there might have been some serious budget issues behind the scenes.

*sighs*
We really taking about the Hobbit movies AGAIN?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Emilia always masters the languages and accents when she's asked to do so. I think that's one of her skills

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

You know, this actually has me thinking about a theory behind that late-90s-to-mid-00 period of "everything is kinda lovely for an unspecified reason"...

Has anyone watched something on DVD recently? Like, an honest-to-god regular DVD? Have you noticed how incredibly lovely it looks when we're used to 1080p streams? That period of unexplained shittyness was also the height of the DVD era, when everyone was marveling at how sharp and amazing DVD video was. I think that the audience expectations for visuals were altered by what looked good on a DVD (shiny, sharp-but-not-too-detailed, etc).

Also, early digital video was clearly not up to par but the size and availability of the cameras led filmmakers who would otherwise know better to declare that the terrible quality was "good enough" because it let them get shots they couldn't get with regular cameras. That Mystery Men shot is likely an example of that. Another example was in Spike Lee's Bamboozled, where the very low budget (plus Lee's desire to attempt shots that wouldn't be possible with a full-sized film camera) had him shooting on really terrible early digital cameras.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

You know, this actually has me thinking about a theory behind that late-90s-to-mid-00 period of "everything is kinda lovely for an unspecified reason"...

Has anyone watched something on DVD recently? Like, an honest-to-god regular DVD? Have you noticed how incredibly lovely it looks when we're used to 1080p streams? That period of unexplained shittyness was also the height of the DVD era, when everyone was marveling at how sharp and amazing DVD video was. I think that the audience expectations for visuals were altered by what looked good on a DVD (shiny, sharp-but-not-too-detailed, etc).

Worth remembering that DVDs launched in the late 90s when HD television sets weren't popular. DVDs looked GREAT on 480p CRT screens.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao 480p tho. I was fiddling with a usb video capture stick for recording from VHS, previewing the stream at 100% source scale on the big 4K tv I'm using as a monitor and it was literally postcard-sized at best. The poo poo we used to accept as regular quality :o:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Worth remembering that DVDs launched in the late 90s when HD television sets weren't popular. DVDs looked GREAT on 480p CRT screens.

Oh yeah, clearly. I remember being blown away when I first saw a DVD on a player that was connected to my CRT through the S-Video cable. But looking back, I think that it caused the trend of focusing on the types of visuals that saw the most improvement going from VHS to DVD. (That, plus causing filmmakers to declare that digital video was "good enough" when it was still about a decade out from actually being good enough.)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I still watch old stuff on a random selection of DVD, Bluray, and UHD, just whatever happens to be available, and it’s really amazing watching a DVD and just about every time going “holy poo poo how did I EVER think this was acceptable?”

What else is great is binging a show on DVD and just being used to that quality for a couple weeks and then watching something in 4K. It’s like seeing colors for the first time.

Edit: the Star Trek bluray has Trials and Tribblations as a special feature on the Trouble With Tribbles disc. Going from beautiful HD Trouble With Tribbles to the trash DVD quality Trials and Tribblations is like getting punched in the face.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 13, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember putting on my LOTR FOTR DVD a few years ago and I was like "man this looks like rear end" and I just torrented the blu-ray.

Little did I know how that was going to look :mrwhite:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was drunkenly shouting out in the theater that Gandalf wasn't really seven feet tall and this was all just camera trickery and that this whole movie was some BULLSHIT and the guy with the flashlight told me I had to go home.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I watched The Wizard of Oz in 4K and it really highlighted how great the costumes and makeup were. I went in expecting some hilarious lovely costumes and makeup mistakes now that I could finally see it in high quality but no. They were great. Even the Lions tail I only saw the string holding it up once.

10/10 viewing experience. Recommended.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Coupled with what you said, my theory is that the studio meddled to some extent and that Lena Olin was the only cast member to stick up for him or say anything in his favour. It’s the only explanation I can think of for why she’s set up as Casanova Frankenstein’s psychiatrist in her first scene, then in every scene she’s in afterwards she doesn’t say a loving word and is just there in the background as his mute girlfriend.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Coupled with what you said, my theory is that the studio meddled to some extent and that Lena Olin was the only cast member to stick up for him or say anything in his favour. It’s the only explanation I can think of for why she’s set up as Casanova Frankenstein’s psychiatrist in her first scene, then in every scene she’s in afterwards she doesn’t say a loving word and is just there in the background as his mute girlfriend.

The most curious thing about Mystery Men is that the music video for Smash Mouth's All Star was a tie-in for that movie, when basically everyone remembers the song from Shrek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, stop the presses! The Army of the Dead trailer just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1JGPhYBS8

It actually looks pretty dope.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

The most curious thing about Mystery Men is that the music video for Smash Mouth's All Star was a tie-in for that movie, when basically everyone remembers the song from Shrek.

Maybe the youth does but it's absolutely "the Mystery Men song" to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

I watched The Wizard of Oz in 4K and it really highlighted how great the costumes and makeup were. I went in expecting some hilarious lovely costumes and makeup mistakes now that I could finally see it in high quality but no. They were great. Even the Lions tail I only saw the string holding it up once.

10/10 viewing experience. Recommended.

Yeah 35mm is like 6K resolution, so it was all designed with high resolution in mind.

Old TV shows can get pretty goofy in HD these days though with all kinds of details you weren't meant to see.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol casting Emilia Clarke in a role where she has to do an accent.

Emilia Clarke should be required to speak a made-up gibberish language for every role. That was the only time she was good on GoT.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still the best TV series ever and shot on beautiful 35MM film so you can see every gorgeous detail in the bluray prints.

https://twitter.com/BatLabels/status/856950275755700227?s=19

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Still the best TV series ever and shot on beautiful 35MM film so you can see every gorgeous detail in the bluray prints.

https://twitter.com/BatLabels/status/856950275755700227?s=19

We need 4k to fully comprehend just how hard Burt Ward's dance belt is working in that scene.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Not enough "Kal-el, NO!" , 2/10.

There seems to be more shooting and groundbreaking stuff like "What if zombies were not slow and semi-intelligent" (was that the premise of earlier movies, never watched the OG ones)

Okay,fine, I'll pirate it when it gets released and Tig Notaro better dies in this one :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

if they are smart now why are the zombies throwing away their lives to save the fiat money :thunk: