Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Skipping 600 posts, I've now read the ending.

Very solid. A bit disappointing Eren wasn't the baby daddy, but he needn't be.

Everything else was resolved about as satisfactorily as it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

This post makes you think you skipped the last 6 months of publication too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

So many more people watch the anime than read the manga so it's going to be interesting the hysterics that occur when the anime reaches...this end.
Like I know the anime is popular, but didn't the manga get stupidly loving big/popular with tons more people due to the almost 4-year gap between S1 and S2 and shittons of people wanting to know "Hey, what happens next? :ohdear:" ?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe the anime will pull a reverse GOT and actually have a good ending.

That would be nice.

I haven't found the original source, but apparently five pages were cut somehow that we're going to see next month. Who knows, they might make it flow a little better, and if they do, putting them in the anime would clear things up a bit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re all gigantic single page reaction shots from Reiners mom

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

maybe make an exception for the final chapter of your wildly popular IP and publish it the first time with 5 extra pages?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

“Ok, last time I had to take a break was, um....Chapter 117.
Oh, Looks like the ending’s out, seems like it’s pretty controversial. Well, that makes sense, the series can be pretty nihilistic in outlook. Still, the last chapters I read are brutal. I hate to do this, but I think I’d better might check the summaries to see if it’s worth it to drop :10bux: :20bux: on Major Depression again.”

:thunk:

:stare:

:magical:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

maybe make an exception for the final chapter of your wildly popular IP and publish it the first time with 5 extra pages?

I mean, Jump didn't do that for Demon Slayer. If I'm being charitable, I'd just note that manga magazines have a lot of logistical challenges. (It's part of why Jump Plus is drawing so many people right now.) The five extra pages, assuming they exist, might not be anything too important.

If I'm being conspiratorial... well, I've done that plenty already. Say something once, why say it again?

(I am tempted, however, to make a Four Pages joke)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

(I am tempted, however, to make a Four Pages joke)

Mikasa no

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Isayama def did not stick the landing but there are a few things I think it’s important to remember. First, Eren is the little psycho he always was and arrived at a psycho attempt to fix the world. It’s real simple and I think that’s the best way to make sense of his character. Post time-skip Eren has just realized through his future perspective that he’s a monster “the same as you, Reiner.” It’s not like he’s actually a master strategist or anything. He’s just a dumb murderous 19 year old with godlike powers.

Second, Eren doesn’t even know what will happen after he dies as far as Paradis surviving or Eldia being restored because I think his memory only goes as far as the Attack Titans last host’s last memory. So in one sense he’s made a bunch of decisions knowing how they turn out, exactly opposite Levi’s advice that you take your chances no matter what you do. But in the end Levi is right and Eren basically just made a dumb plan and gambled that his comrades may make a better future when he’s gone. That’s the path to “freedom” such as it is but Eren himself does nothing to really free the world from creeping fascism because if it’s even possible he’s certainly not equipped for it. Because his only solution to someone possibly taking away his freedom is taking theirs. Basically, everything with Eren is super consistent and the bad part is letting him off easy in a sense. Like no one at the end of Watchmen tells Ozymandias “thank you for becoming a mass murderer” ... I mean, c’mon.

Third, AFAIK there’s no plot-established reason that Eren turned into a bird but now we know all the memories from that one page way back when are something he had access to, right? (Dina seeing Berthold and passing by and Falco looking up at the Eren-bird.)

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 13, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is nothing to suggest Eren turned into a bird. It was just symbolism.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Idk what if the PATHS were birds all along

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the 5 extra pages are birds eating the titanworm

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Idk what if the PATHS were birds all along

What are birds?

We just don't know.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bees x1000 posted:

the 5 extra pages are birds eating the titanworm

I would believe that tbf

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Like no one at the end of Watchmen tells Ozymandias “thank you for becoming a mass murderer” ... I mean, c’mon.

Yeah. This series really needs a Rorschach to provide a counterpoint to Eren's whole deal. Like at the end Eren is Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan in one, but there's nobody to coherently argue against his actions at the end. He dies, but that's not really a proper refutation.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Erwin wouldn’t have said thank you

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

This series went downhill after Erwin died. A lack of competent leadership from inside Paradis allowed everything to get out of hand, fast. Now it was done for dramatic purposes but I don’t like how it was done. They had to turn Hange into a completely ineffective character, make Armin useless, Historia offscreened into a figurehead, and the rest of the Garrison and MP into bumbling fools. The worst part is, there was no payoff to butchering all these characters. By and large all their efforts were pointless and the only reason Eren lost is because he wanted to lose.

mightygerm fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 13, 2021

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I remember two years ago after watching season 3 I said, "Well, that kicked rear end. The rest could be poo poo or never get made and I'd be happy with that."

lol

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The bird that randomly decided to adjust a girl’s scarf?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tenkaris posted:

Birds are assholes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

It is pretty bluntly symbolic and not "Eren literally found a way to transfer his brain into a bird, where he now lives."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The result: 80% o the world was destroyed by the hand of a survey corps member (who than let himself be beaten before killing the other 20%), Paradis is fascist

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It is pretty bluntly symbolic and not "Eren literally found a way to transfer his brain into a bird, where he now lives."

I mean I’m not suggesting he did precisely that but this also isn’t Disney’s Snow White and weirdly blunt symbolism like that hasn’t been common in the series in my opinion but maybe I’m spacing on examples. If you have any that come to mind, please do share!

Maybe the ancient art of the girl giving an apple to a devil? When in reality a slave fell into a tree trunk and met an ancient worm

Edit: thinking about the Apple girl. It makes sense that they mythologized it as a deal with the devil for power when marley is writing the narrative. Then you see that the girl was abused and was desperately fleeing her imminent death and didn’t exactly consent to becoming host to the hallucigenia.

But then, we find out she loved Fritz. He seems pretty devilish. She gifted him the power to topple nations and ultimately doom the world 2,000 years down the line. She gained the powers of a god like magical creature and just handed it to the worst person she knew because she was that broken and never considered just harming him even though he did plenty of that to her. Ugh

Isayama’s intent is a bit of mystery to me with this one, though. It’s all pretty gross.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 13, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Remember when people were alive? And then they weren't.

poo poo was wild, man.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Say, now that the series is completely over does anyone have a good read on wtf was going on when that kid Eren saved in Liberio saw Ymir creep-watching him just before getting pancaked?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My read is that Ymir is a creep

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Colour me as someone who read the first part of 139 and literally thought it was either a fake leak or an April Fool’s joke. I was laughing out loud and 100% certain that wasn’t the ending. Then it started to sink in but I still kept hoping the official translation would make sense of it.

I got more and more worried about how the show was going from when they first introduced the mind wipe of the founding titan (slight worry), to when they introduced paths , then with Ymir and the Zeke flashback and finally the worm. By 135, I was in the same boat as everyone here thinking that there was no way he could finish the story satisfactorily in 4 chapters, it was too rushed.

So even going in with very low expectations, that ending was really jarring. It quite felt like I was reading something by a different writer. It definitely did not feel like what he had in mind when he wrote “to you 2,000 years from now”. Maybe I’ll feel different when it is animated, but going from serious tone mature adult Eren to whiny “oh no I love Mikasa!” and “I don’t know why I killed 80% of the population with a blank stare” was really confusing. And all the points everyone else made? No closure from Gabi and the other side characters. The loopholes, the many conversations and storyline’s that no longer serve a purpose. It was really disappointing.

I understand that endings are hard. Most things I’ve watched have had some pretty poo poo endings. And I can’t say that I regret following the series. It was a very enjoyable roller coaster ride for most of it. But I doubt I’ll be recommending it to people; let along talking it up as much as I used to.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

It is heavily implied Eren is a bird.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

It suggests that the paths now extend to all living creatures or actually always did. Could be an opening for a sequel.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A sequel where they’re desperately trying to figure out how to bring back forests and trees.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

literally real IRL posted:

It suggests that the paths now extend to all living creatures or actually always did. Could be an opening for a sequel.

Maybe we will finally get that titan whale from that one ED

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I think the ending makes more sense if we're using Terminator time travel rules, in that Eren foresaw this being the only future because he already fuckin' did it. Maybe he should have let some other people in on his plan so they could have been like 'wait, what? no that's dumb.' It's all very :discourse: that way and proves why it was a bad idea to give a traumatized teenager time traveling abilities.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bobjr posted:

A sequel where they’re desperately trying to figure out how to bring back forests and trees.

Attack on Global Desertification

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeagerist spotted

yronic heroism posted:

Isayama def did not stick the landing but there are a few things I think it’s important to remember. First, Eren is the little psycho he always was and arrived at a psycho attempt to fix the world. It’s real simple and I think that’s the best way to make sense of his character. Post time-skip Eren has just realized through his future perspective that he’s a monster “the same as you, Reiner.” It’s not like he’s actually a master strategist or anything. He’s just a dumb murderous 19 year old with godlike powers.

DamnitGannet posted:

I think the ending makes more sense if we're using Terminator time travel rules, in that Eren foresaw this being the only future because he already fuckin' did it. Maybe he should have let some other people in on his plan so they could have been like 'wait, what? no that's dumb.' It's all very :discourse: that way and proves why it was a bad idea to give a traumatized teenager time traveling abilities.
Yeah it's basically that X-Files episode where the psychic sees himself murdering people and goes ahead and does the murders and one of his victims tells him "did you ever think it's because you're a psychopath?" when he asks why he sees himself murdering people. Which given the tremendous popularity of The X-Files in Japan seems pretty likely that Isayama either saw or at least absorbed through cultural osmosis.

That's one thing that is handled pretty well, Eren was always a violent little psycho (to the point that he brings out that side in others) and it seems great to everyone else long as he's on their side, helping them, and as soon as he isn't he's a terrifying villain. The addition of his love being a violent, jealous, and possessive love also fits right in with that. He's Woo Bum-kon given the power to end all life on earth and an ideology that justifies it.

At the very least, the reveal of how pathetic and possessive he was greatly soured the series for the Yeagerist fans in a way that an "Eren succeeds in destroying everything outside the walls, reveals he's Historia's baby daddy" ending would not.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

Yeah, the whole thing makes a bit more sense if viewed as a single closed loop. Eren forsees a future where he murders most of humanity, but he was always going to murder most of humanity so his ability to forsee was just him seeing what he'd have done even without time travel bullshit.

Him deciding to murder most of humanity to protect Paradis is entirely within his already fairly broken psyche, after all. The reason it sucks is that the ability to foresee the future and all the lead in with grisha etc suggested that Eren was able to parse alternate possibilities and look for a good end, or at least be aware of the bad ends.

But then you have mikasa's vision of the two of them running away together, so it seems like he can see alternate futures, so who loving knows.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It only just occured to me that the reason why he wasn't really talking or anything during the rumbling is cause he was busy setting up everyone's personal holodeck for their personalized post-apocalypse message

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He seems to have been in the process of losing his sense of self, so it was all he could do to keep himself focused on the task while also sending everyone his goodbyes.

Super Rad posted:

Say, now that the series is completely over does anyone have a good read on wtf was going on when that kid Eren saved in Liberio saw Ymir creep-watching him just before getting pancaked?

By reaching out to Ymir and giving her agency, Eren cracked her shell a bit and she started paying attention to the world beyond just mechanically following Fritz's last command. The Rumbling was her decision as much as it was Eren's, and so she chose to watch it unfold.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 14, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Why do they start the convos as children and then grow up through the duration, I didn’t quite get why that was happening in that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tenkaris posted:

Why do they start the convos as children and then grow up through the duration, I didn’t quite get why that was happening in that way?

Because their dream, which began by that riverside when Armin brought Eren the book as children, was to leave the walls and explore the various landscapes described there together.

So during the conversation Eren takes them both through the various sceneries culminating in the ocean, the one view they actually both shared in real life.