Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lol, Canucks traded Jordie Benn for less than a bag of pucks (6th round pick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

Well if the absolute numbers are scaled arbitrarily then the deltas are also only meaningful relative to other deltas, but fine. As for the rest it's weird to see such a huge disparity between ratios on three different sites ostensibly measuring the same thing, but oh well.

I guess the way I view it is that each model awards and then weights chances differently. For a sport like hockey this of course becomes incredibly subjective very very quickly where as in soccer it is much easier to nail down semi-accurate totals via xG. With that said it isn't that the scaling is arbitrary, but more about how each model awards and then weights given chances. If all 3 sites give a 'chance' but Hockey Ref assigns it as a 3-6% conversion chance (low danger but better than the 3% and below unscreened floaty wrister from the point), Evolving gives a mid--danger of 7 to 10%, and Natural puts it down as a high danger with conversion rate of 10-20%. All of this interpretation and weighting is going to throw up a lot of variation site to site and model to model. But, if the particular site/model is consistent in its award of chances and the weighting in every game then there can be useful stuff to compare and that's why I say look at the ratios and spreads.

Regardless of model Tampa over performs by varying amounts. Why? Well they are getting some of the best goaltending in those situations (which is born out in all 3 models just differing ways and amounts). Which then you run into the question of if it's sustainable and is this team due a regression or is it a product of other things the model isn't/can't account for.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty pleased with that return for Bennett

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Lol, Canucks traded Jordie Benn for less than a bag of pucks (6th round pick)

Winnipeg over paid.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I am very excited we let Jim run another trade deadline. By getting rid of dead weight like Gaudette hes finally getting to put his own stamp on the Canucks.

Someone save us.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I guess the way I view it is that each model awards and then weights chances differently. For a sport like hockey this of course becomes incredibly subjective very very quickly where as in soccer it is much easier to nail down semi-accurate totals via xG. With that said it isn't that the scaling is arbitrary, but more about how each model awards and then weights given chances. If all 3 sites give a 'chance' but Hockey Ref assigns it as a 3-6% conversion chance (low danger but better than the 3% and below unscreened floaty wrister from the point), Evolving gives a mid--danger of 7 to 10%, and Natural puts it down as a high danger with conversion rate of 10-20%. All of this interpretation and weighting is going to throw up a lot of variation site to site and model to model. But, if the particular site/model is consistent in its award of chances and the weighting in every game then there can be useful stuff to compare and that's why I say look at the ratios and spreads.

I thought they were all weighting scoring chances by on-ice shot position and nothing else. Surely those are then based of actual league-wide conversion probabilities for shots at that position? Yes, you could get slightly different answers depending on how you aggregate but even the most naive way I could think of doing should give reasonable absolute xGF/xGA, not off by a factor of two.

This is more or less the same as how I was arguing a while ago about some chart with GSAA or something similar that showed 90% of the goalies in the league performing below expectations and Lundqvist being the only good goalie. The charts in this article are at least sensible in that the mode of GSAA is close to zero every season (i.e. the average goalie is average).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Man I would have been over the moon if the Penguins had gotten Vrana given what the price tag eventually was, but probably the Caps don't want to even talk to the Penguins plus they're probably punishing Vrana for his insolence by banishing him to Detroit.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I don't understand much about Advanced stats, but for as well-regarded as he was, Lundqvist was probably the most underrated goalie in the league when he played. It's pretty much impossible to overstate how much of the Rangers post-lockout success was because of him. Even last year, undoubtedly an off for him, he was still top 5 in GSAA before Igoe came over. If he lands on Chicago, Detroit, or Pittsburgh I honestly believe he would be considered better than Brodeur.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1381741716693213185

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is very funny, in so many ways. Trump racist in Quebec is a very funny situation.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Like hell he's going to go live in Quebec with those fuckin' [string of slurs against French Canadians, and probably also French people since DeAngelo doesn't know the difference]

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

This is very funny, in so many ways. Trump racist in Quebec is a very funny situation.

He would have fit right in with all the other Quebec racists!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
PART ONE OF TONY D IN MONTREAL

Eric the Mauve posted:

Like hell he's going to go live in Quebec with those fuckin' [string of slurs against French Canadians, and probably also French people since DeAngelo doesn't know the difference]

THE HEARTWARMING CONCLUSION TO TONY D IN MONTREAL

Arivia posted:

He would have fit right in with all the other Quebec racists!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think this sums it up perfectly.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

I thought they were all weighting scoring chances by on-ice shot position and nothing else. Surely those are then based of actual league-wide conversion probabilities for shots at that position?

Maybe probably idk. I've never done a ton of digging into the various free and basic models that I use. If they're pulling from different data sources the model could be exactly the same and spit out different calculations. Say NHL vs OPTA or some such.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Only in the sense that the fanbase doesn't speak with one voice. I feel like the only thing I've posted about in GDTs has been "why aren't they playing Vrana more?"

Will be curious to see how the line combos shake out.

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson
Sheary - Backstrom - Mantha
Raffl - Eller - Oshie
Hagelin - Dowd - Hathaway

That actually doesn't look too bad. Who knows if any of the lines besides the 4th will play defense though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Patrik Laine has goals in back-to-back games and Max Domi has primary assists on both.

Maybe all they needed to remember how to play hockey well was each other? :iiam:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1381748611772522504?s=21

I wonder if he sold his Bills gear on the way out of town?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty pleased with that return for Bennett

Former 4OA pedigree goes a loooong way apparently.

That pick and his inability to do a pullup or be a competent top 2 centre really hosed up the rebuild.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

Former 4OA pedigree goes a loooong way apparently.

That pick and his inability to do a pullup or be a competent top 2 centre really hosed up the rebuild.

He had some good fights tho.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1381748611772522504?s=21

I wonder if he sold his Bills gear on the way out of town?

Josh Allen jerseys are deeply backordered as of Christmas, he could made some cash that way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...ved-on-from-it/

Caps GMs statement on Vrana. Did not want to be coached, at least by Laviolette so they moved on.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/AlisonL/status/1381780833200181250

Nikolai Zherdev approves.

e-
https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1381780778519031810

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 13, 2021

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Max Domi carrying on the good family name:

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews/status/1381782695131381760

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

And on that note Chicago goes 6-2-0 against Columbus this year making them worth more than 25% of the teams points and probably the only reason the teams arent flipped in the standings.

Thanks Torts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If there is one thing a Domi despises, it is a fair fight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

If there is one thing a Domi despises, it is a fair fight.

High shelves?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Red Wings point% with Mantha on the roster: .395
Red Wings point% without Mantha on the roster: 1.000

:thunk: (also they've now got a winning record against Carolina this year)

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Detroit has 15 wins on the season, 8 of which have come against the top 3 teams in the Central (and 7 of those 8 being in regulation), which is :psyduck:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol max domi

claims murphy elbowed him but he just collided with his back and murphy's elbow went back after the collision, didn't even make contact

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/CJC_95/status/1381728985567084546?s=20

Big boys

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks wake up today somehow worse in the short term and long term. Quite the deadline for old Jim.

They also didn't acquire a goaltender of any sort so Mike DiPietro will go 18+ months between professional starts. Great way to kill a youngster's career for seemingly no reason.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:toot:

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1381970271347818497?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WE DID IT, YALL :woop:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/borntodanhard/status/1381731024372047876?s=21

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Sabres.:tif:

Out: Hall, Montour, Staal, Lazar

In: 2nd, 2x 3rds, 5th and Bjork

I'm sure our well respected scouting department will choose some great players in the draft with these picks! And then properly develop them like all of our other prospects!

:negative:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

th3t00t posted:

I'm sure our well respected scouting department will choose some great players in the draft with these picks! And then properly develop them like all of our other prospects!

Wasn't the scouting department already fired?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fire them again, just to make sure

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

th3t00t posted:

Sabres.:tif:

Out: Hall, Montour, Staal, Lazar

In: 2nd, 2x 3rds, 5th and Bjork

That's a very weak return for Hall, rental or not.

... it's what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Yes. I was being sarcastic. The Sabres don't have a scouting department and the rookie GM was hired for his extensive NHL front office experience running a sports complex with 2 ice rinks owned by the Pegulas.