Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

In many states If the parties agree they can do the divorce themselves for filing fees

This is dumb tho don’t do this

Yeah, that's not the kind of "uncontested" I was talking about. Think more like $3,500 each for lawyers to hash things out with nobody trying to hide assets or needing to go to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m 6 years or so from doing divorces but I’d say that kind of divorce would be closer to 2000

Depends on how much property there is to fuss about

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

I’m 6 years or so from doing divorces but I’d say that kind of divorce would be closer to 2000

Depends on how much property there is to fuss about

I'm quoting the check for a retainer I just wrote to a local divorce attorney to get my sister the gently caress out of a relationship with an emotionally and financially abusive fuckwad, so I'm sure this is all local. He says if he doesn't have to go to court this should do it. I'll gladly pay more to have this over with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well now you are complicating the case with additional facts so 3500 sounds more right

Hopefully it will end up being less

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah 'uncontested' scenarios are generally "we have nothing to split up, we don't want anything from each other, we'd just like to be out of this"

anything that involves property division, alimony, etc, could be amicable but will always be more expensive

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Legal Questions: The answer to "should I delete my post" is YES

Do the needful mods.

Also any time someone tells me they have a "uncontested"/"simple" divorce it is a giant warning bell.

Motronic posted:

I'm quoting the check for a retainer I just wrote to a local divorce attorney to get my sister the gently caress out of a relationship with an emotionally and financially abusive fuckwad, so I'm sure this is all local. He says if he doesn't have to go to court this should do it. I'll gladly pay more to have this over with.

I will be amazed if no court appearances are involved given that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I rethought it and now would say I’d demand 5,000 up front.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My spouse and their ex had the rare legit amicable "let's just take our respective cars and 401(k)s, split the checking account, and pay the admin fee" divorce. No kids, no house, no business, no particularly hard feelings, and they both had self-sufficient incomes; so for them it was just another government office transaction. They brought their marriage license to the county clerk and said "can we return this here?", got the paperwork, paid a few hundred dollars apiece, had some mandatory waiting period, and they were split.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eminent Domain posted:

Do the needful mods.

Also any time someone tells me they have a "uncontested"/"simple" divorce it is a giant warning bell.

Me too. But I'm on the "expedite it and I'll pay" path here, which I just made sure my sister knew.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

My spouse and their ex had the rare legit amicable "let's just take our respective cars and 401(k)s, split the checking account, and pay the admin fee" divorce. No kids, no house, no business, no particularly hard feelings, and they both had self-sufficient incomes; so for them it was just another government office transaction. They brought their marriage license to the county clerk and said "can we return this here?", got the paperwork, paid a few hundred dollars apiece, had some mandatory waiting period, and they were split.

Look, the creative writing thread is thataway

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eminent Domain posted:

Do the needful mods.

There was absolutely a court appearance involved in mine, because Michigan requires that, which was super weird to me. But yeah, my ex and I didnt have kids or property, we'd already been separated for a while, we were on decent terms, and I'm sure that absolutely makes things a lot more simple.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008
As a purely hypothetical,

Let us imagine a goon is trying to deal with his mother's estate in N. Carolina, county of Wake. He is her only child, she died intestate, and he is therefore her sole heir. In applying for letters of administration, he is expected to provide an initial inventory of the assets of the estate. The estate's assets are 3 bank accounts across 2 banks, a car, and personal property.

The problem is that this hypothetical goon has no drat how much money is in the account at the second bank. His mother opened this account to specifically hide the amount from herself so she wouldn't want to spend it. This goon specifically went to that bank, and was told he couldn't get that information without letters of testamentary. This was also where he found out about the existence of letters of testamentary.

So, when filling out the paperwork, what duties to find out more information before applying for letters would this goon have?
What answer should this hypothetical goon give to the value of that asset?

How annoyed should he be that the vaguest hints he has as to its value makes him probably unable to use NC's simplified estate settlement by collection because it exceeds the maximum value of that procedure?

How much should such a goon expect to pay an attorney to make this annoyance go away? Is $295 for the first hour a lot?

PURELY HYPOTHETICAL ahem.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Booklegger posted:

As a purely hypothetical,
Is $295 for the first hour a lot?

Less than I would charge.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We just had this discussion in one of the many finance-ish threads in BFC, and the general consensus is that hiring an attorney is worth the money. You're about to deal with a mountain of paperwork, and it's going to be an immense time suck. An attorney is going to know exactly what needs to be done, when it needs to be done by, and how.

Here's a handy reference if you haven't come across it already:

https://www.nccourts.gov/assets/documents/forms/e850-en.pdf?wAfy5o3sqw7oCN0qFSPp5N1aWnKA7nNK

note: I am not a lawyer, just some idiot on the internet.

edit: you can pay attorneys fees out of the estate, but the court has to approve them, and you'd be responsible for the amount above and beyond what the court approves.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2021

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hypothetical goon should hire/consult a hypothetical attorney to avoid future hypothetical headaches.

Hourly rate depends on a bunch of factors, so it goes. We have no real way of telling if that's too much or too little, it's gonna depend on your area and the experience and migratory bird patterns and so on and so forth.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 9, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you, hypothetically, might be able to pay an estate attorney a flat % of the estate (with a maximum set by law)

this might be much much more money than just paying someone an hourly

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Do jurors ever fall asleep during a trial? What happens if they do?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

I've seen judges fall asleep.

I heard about one going to mistrial over it down south a few years ago.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Depends how egregious but contempt of court isn't unheard of.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

Ideally you start your trial with <number of jurors needed to deliberate> plus some alternates, so that if a juror gets abducted by aliens in the middle of trial, you'll still have enough to finish the case. If somebody notices something's wrong, the judge might excuse the jury and call in that juror to ask questions ("I noticed you looked like you were nodding off. Are you feeling okay?" etc.).

If the juror's falling asleep because they're sick or taking extra time to cover work/family stuff on top of trial time, usually the judge releases them because there are alternates available, and you keep going.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nice piece of fish posted:

I've seen judges fall asleep.

I heard about one going to mistrial over it down south a few years ago.

By down south do you mean Denmark?

I heard there was something rotten there.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

The one time I served on a jury the judge fell asleep for a few minutes. It wasn't a very exciting case, to be honest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Due process isn’t always fun !!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

therobit posted:

By down south do you mean Denmark?

I heard there was something rotten there.

I live like in the arctic, my man. Almost everything is south of me.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I had a judge fall asleep during trial in my third or fourth year. I just leaned over and whispered to the very experienced opposing counsel. We popped up and asked for a break. Lawyers pop up for breaks all the time and as long as the judge isn't a prick you'll get one (don't eat taco bell during trial weeks; can't get the shits). It is extremely poor form for a lawyer of any wherewithal to oppose a break like that, and judges usually pick up on what's going on. A judge falling asleep would be grateful for the opportunity to grab a walk and a coffee.

I once saw a pregnant lawyer puke in the middle of trial when the judge wouldn't give her a break. That judge was a prick.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

I once saw a pregnant lawyer puke in the middle of trial when the judge wouldn't give her a break. That judge was a prick.

Holy poo poo - Details?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
On the flip side, I've had a judge who turned a 3 week jury trial into 6 loving weeks.

Didn't start until 10:00am, 90 minute lunches, turned everyone out by 4:30 at the latest, sometimes closer to 4:00 and at 3:00 on fridays. Constant breaks, skipped days, etc.

It was insufferable.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hypothetical for Illinois: I sue someone and win a monetary award, but they can't pay the whole thing at once so they set up a payment plan. When they make those payments, who do they pay? And when I receive a payment, who is it from? Like, would I get a direct deposit from the Illinois court system?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Badger of Basra posted:

Hypothetical for Illinois: I sue someone and win a monetary award, but they can't pay the whole thing at once so they set up a payment plan. When they make those payments, who do they pay? And when I receive a payment, who is it from? Like, would I get a direct deposit from the Illinois court system?

I'm not sure, but I think you're supposed to call J.G. Wentworth.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm not sure, but I think you're supposed to call J.G. Wentworth.
Excellent username/post synergy.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Usually if you get a judgment against someone, they pay you directly until the judgment is satisfied. If they don't pay the judgment, you go back to the court to enforce it. They don't normally pay the court.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Could I sell that debt to a collector?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Could I sell that debt to a collector?

Yes. If you can find one that wants to buy it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

blarzgh posted:

On the flip side, I've had a judge who turned a 3 week jury trial into 6 loving weeks.

Didn't start until 10:00am, 90 minute lunches, turned everyone out by 4:30 at the latest, sometimes closer to 4:00 and at 3:00 on fridays. Constant breaks, skipped days, etc.

It was insufferable.

What would happen to a juror if they snapped at the judge for financially ruining them so they could work... What 5.5 hours a day assuming 10-4:30 with a 90 minute lunch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Debt collector firms are usually buying in bulk afaict.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

Debt collector firms are usually buying in bulk afaict.

Yeah, typically if you're going to be selling judgments its because you've got a pipeline to a lot of judgments (you're a credit card company that for some strange reason sues people before sending them to collections, you're an institutional landlord with thousands of units that does the same, etc.). So you'll negotiate a bulk rate with a debt collector and bundle things monthly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

honda whisperer posted:

What would happen to a juror if they snapped at the judge for financially ruining them so they could work... What 5.5 hours a day assuming 10-4:30 with a 90 minute lunch.

If a juror yelled at the judge, they may be held in contempt of court, kicked off the jury.

For long trials there's typically two alternate jurors who have to sit through the whole thing as well, and one of them would take their place.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
:siren:TREE LAW:siren:

If one were to hire a service to remove a very large, dead tree in their yard and the service blows it and it smashes into a neighbor's yard, who is liable for the damage? If the service, are they normally licensed and bonded? If the consumer, would that normally be covered by homeowner's insurance? Virginia

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

:siren:TREE LAW:siren:

If one were to hire a service to remove a very large, dead tree in their yard and the service blows it and it smashes into a neighbor's yard, who is liable for the damage? If the service, are they normally licensed and bonded? If the consumer, would that normally be covered by homeowner's insurance? Virginia

Typically tree services carry insurance for exactly that kind of property damage issue. (If you’re hiring one you probably want to make sure they have insurance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please do not hire a tree service without verifying insurance.