Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

That regimen? 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 km run. Every day. No matter what.

It's true, this works folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can confirm there's a whole documentary about it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's a lot of "except for Steve" in this discussion and I think this ignores the fact that Steve Rogers was constantly doing famously erratic things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rand Brittain posted:

There's a lot of "except for Steve" in this discussion and I think this ignores the fact that Steve Rogers was constantly doing famously erratic things.

By superhero standards he was Ned Flanders.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

can confirm there's a whole documentary about it

Yeah minor negative in that you lose all your hair, but there's worse things that can happen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

By superhero standards he was Ned Flanders.

America's rear end... Stupid sexy Flanders... Yup, it checks out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

AngryBooch posted:

In the comics Erskine developed a program of vitamins, diet, and exercise that made you into a super soldier if you adhered to it perfectly for 20 years. Too much effort though so he went on to develop the Serum. Erskine knows about the vitamins.

Nobody's realized it yet but the serum is 100% organic

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah I've seen a lot of rose-tinted glasses-ing going on towards Steve from a lot of show reactions, and also from the characters within this universe. Not even Steve Rogers could live up to the standards that people have been setting for Steve Rogers.

I mean, just ask Sharon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So far I'm liming Falcon & Winter Soldier. Has been solid and Zemo is great.

I do hate how the organisation is called the Flag Smashers.
Flag Smasher is the leader, the organisation is Ultimatium. Or ULTIMATIUM if you prefer.

KaosMachina posted:

The original process just required a secondary activation process of some kind of activation radiation with 'Vita-Rays', and this new version of the formula clearly doesn't need that anymore.

This is something I always noticed in the comics, and it's leaked into the MCU aswell.

Every attempt to recreate Captain America, involves a scientist trying to recreate the Super Soldier Serum, and being shocked when it goes wrong.
But every telling (and retelling) of Cap's origin is that they give Cap the SSS AND they dose him with Vita-Rays, and he comes out perfect.

After a while I can't help but feel it's textual, that everyone is messing this up for a very simple reason*.

*= One brilliant observation about the Norton Hulk movie was how if you focus on the SSS alone you get the Abomination.
You focus on the Vita-Rays treatment and you get the Hulk.
Only in balance do you get Captain America.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The MCU fascination with the super soldier serum is something taken straight out of the Ultimate comics. Everything in those backs ties back to that serum. Spider-Man, Hulk, the creation of all Mutants. It all goes back to that serum.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

The MCU fascination with the super soldier serum is something taken straight out of the Ultimate comics. Everything in those backs ties back to that serum. Spider-Man, Hulk, the creation of all Mutants. It all goes back to that serum.

That's right! I forgot that the spider that bit Peter, the Lizard, and the Goblin were the result of different projects at Oscorp trying to crack the SSS in the Ultimate universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

Even the 616 had plenty of characters who were attempts at remaking Cap.
See Man Thing*, which was Ted Sallis looking at alternate universe SSS. No use of the Vita-Rays.

* = I imagine he saw a Universe that advertised with "Do you want a Giant Sized Man Thing? Take this Serum and see what happens."

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

X-O posted:

I mentioned it before but I'm shocked they haven't tried to make the serum or vita-rays an infinity stone derivative just to tie basically everything into one package. I kinda thought they were going that way with the Hulk's line about how the radiation coming off of the gauntlet was mostly gamma or whatever

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Tbf the military never letting it go and having 50 different projects going at all times even in the face of disastrous results does seem pretty true to life

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Tbf the military never letting it go and having 50 different projects going at all times even in the face of disastrous results does seem pretty true to life

Oh yeah, for sure. It's much more likely to have gone down like that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Question IRL posted:

Even the 616 had plenty of characters who were attempts at remaking Cap.
See Man Thing*, which was Ted Sallis looking at alternate universe SSS. No use of the Vita-Rays.

* = I imagine he saw a Universe that advertised with "Do you want a Giant Sized Man Thing? Take this Serum and see what happens."

They also rolled the SSS up into the Weapon X project and made Cap Weapon I.

Though I think that was Cates and the less we talk about his additions to Marvel the better.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 13, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, the Weapon Plus stuff was Morrison on one of their 'let's unify all the things' kicks.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I still like "it's a Roman numeral" better than "Weapon Coincidentally Good Branding" though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, the Weapon Plus stuff was Morrison on one of their 'let's unify all the things' kicks.

It was followed up a bit in Duggan's Deadpool. And I think nothing done with Fantomex since then has contradicted him being Weapon XIII.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 13, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Karma Tornado posted:

I still like "it's a Roman numeral" better than "Weapon Coincidentally Good Branding" though

Really? Weapon X sounds a billion times better than Weapon Ten.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They also rolled the SSS up into the Weapon X project and made Cap Weapon I.

Though I think that was Cates and the less we talk about his additions to Marvel the better.

Yeah but that's bullshit in universe too.

Weapon Plus claimed Project Rebirth as their Weapon I but none of them were actually involved in it. The connection is that they had some documentation from Project Rebirth that they used as a starting point, I think?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 13, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Really? Weapon X sounds a billion times better than Weapon Ten.

I think we should at say it as weapon x but it should be Weapon 10 "officially" within the program.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah I still read it as the letter, I just like the idea better.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think we should at say it as weapon x but it should be Weapon 10 "officially" within the program.

But if Captain America was Weapon 1, and they are using Project Rebirth as their starting point, does that make Protocide (the unstable Military Prison made into a Super Soldier before they picked Steve Rogers) Weapon 0?

So Weapon X would be Weapon 10. The 11th Weapon they produced.

Seems confusing enough for the real world Military Industrial Complex.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

But if Captain America was Weapon 1, and they are using Project Rebirth as their starting point, does that make Protocide (the unstable Military Prison made into a Super Soldier before they picked Steve Rogers) Weapon 0?

So Weapon X would be Weapon 10. The 11th Weapon they produced.

Seems confusing enough for the real world Military Industrial Complex.

Say he was from before the official "Weapon whatever" program started. Like how Elliot Ness was never technically an FBI agent although if he had been around ten years later that's totally what his job would have been.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i always mentally say weapon x as in the letter just because it sounds better

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Question IRL posted:

I do hate how the organisation is called the Flag Smashers.
Flag Smasher is the leader, the organisation is Ultimatium. Or ULTIMATIUM if you prefer.

Whoever is producing FatWS probably thought Flag Smasher himself was too hokey / awkward to bring to the MCU, so they made him an organization instead, similar to how the Mandarin was treated. "Nah, we can't have a re-imagining of Fu Manchu as a Marvel villain, we'll just make him a hired limey actor instead."

Kind of interesting that a lot of FatWS is literally someone taking a dump on Gruenwald-created properties.. of which USAgent and BattleStar are prime examples. Walker did kill a terrorist in the comics, though I don't believe it was out in public..

I'm half-expecting to see someone named Dennis Dunphy turn out to be the Power Broker.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 13, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Whoever is producing FatWS probably thought Flag Smasher himself was too hokey / awkward to bring to the MCU, so they made him an organization instead, similar to how the Mandarin was treated. "Nah, we can't have a re-imagining of Fu Manchu as a Marvel villain, we'll just make him a hired limey actor instead."

Kind of interesting that a lot of FatWS is literally someone taking a dump on Gruenwald-created properties.. I'm half-expecting to see someone named Dennis Dunphy turn out to be the Power Broker.

That would be weird but I guess Disney does own Modern Family too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've said it before but I'm not satisfied until we have D-Man, Nomad, and Diamondback. I want all the silly forgotten Cap sidekicks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Diamondback will be an Instagram creator who wears diamonds everywhere, Nomad will be a frisbee-wielding Gen-Xer.

Or to be even more blunt, when the Power Broker is finally revealed in Ep. 6, he's wearing a yellow and black costume with a huge letter "D" printed on his chest.

What would top things off would be that in any continuation of FatWS, the Serpent Squad becomes the main antagonists with a special appearance by Mother Superior, and there's an episode where Sam and Bucky must play cross-dressing versions of themselves

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It would be worth it if D-Man's in the shadows wearing a mostly faithful outfit and everyone goes nuts thinking Logan is making his debut then they see the big D on his chest and don't know what the gently caress.

Speaking of insane poo poo, I am enjoying "IT'S GONNA BE REED!" 2.0 aka 'who is the Power Broker/It's 'Sharon' ie it's Mystique'. We're gonna be doing this in every drat show and film until they actually do introduce mutants and the F4, aren't we?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

It would be worth it if D-Man's in the shadows wearing a mostly faithful outfit and everyone goes nuts thinking Logan is making his debut then they see the big D on his chest and don't know what the gently caress.

Speaking of insane poo poo, I am enjoying "IT'S GONNA BE REED!" 2.0 aka 'who is the Power Broker/It's 'Sharon' ie it's Mystique'. We're gonna be doing this in every drat show and film until they actually do introduce mutants and the F4, aren't we?

This one I understand cause people aren't really jumping for joy about a comic accurate version for... Some reason...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Kind of interesting that a lot of FatWS is literally someone taking a dump on Gruenwald-created properties.. of which USAgent and BattleStar are prime examples. Walker did kill a terrorist in the comics, though I don't believe it was out in public..

One of Gruenwald's most famous John Walker stories had John beat the everloving crap out of his two former sidekicks (Leftwinger and Rightwinger) because they ended up causing the death of John's parents. He beat the crap out of them, left them next to an exploding gas tank and walked away while giving an 80's action hero quip.

Then a few issues later, he meets with a doctor who explains in painfull detail about how even though Leftwinger and Rightwinger were super strong and super tough, but were so horribly injured from being left in that fire that they were left in perpetual agony until they committed suicide.
It was a really good story about violence can be awful and really shook up Walker's character.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This one I understand cause people aren't really jumping for joy about a comic accurate version for... Some reason...

That's why you never turn the dial on the "give super strength" machine to 11.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

STAC Goat posted:

I've said it before but I'm not satisfied until we have D-Man, Nomad, and Diamondback. I want all the silly forgotten Cap sidekicks.

I'm 100% certain if Karli makes a face-turn she'll be Nomad. It's thematically appropriate!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Someone please tell me everything about whatever the hell I'm looking at

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

SlimGoodbody posted:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

Oh that's right, I thought Cap getting rolled up into it happened later but now I remember the stuff about Sublime manipulating the scientists and planning to use Cap to create an anti-mutant police force.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

guy had a machine that made guys bigger but he got put into his make guys bigger machine too much and became a guy that was much too big

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

guy had a machine that made guys bigger but he got put into his make guys bigger machine too much and became a guy that was much too big

Yeah, that's the original Power Broker, Curtiss Jackson. He used his own machine on himself when the Scourge came to kill him, and it went...wrong. He can't actually move without the exoskeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In a major twist, Marvel should reveal that the vita rays are actually Vita Ayala rays and that they decided to give people superpowers because alternate timeline Vita Ayala got tired of just writing pirate comics.