Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm 5'9" ish, but with disproportionately short legs, which is a boon on planes and stuff, I can't imagine how normal-leg people manage in economy class, it's not exactly fun for me.

Trouser shopping is a pain though - in fact I don't think I've tried buying any here in the land of the giants.

vv Same, short but stocky means my shoulders often end up where my seat-neighbours' arms want to be

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

6’2” here, which is just tall enough to be really loving annoying when travelling anywhere.

Not helped by my ridiculously overbroad shoulders. I always pity whoever gets stuck next to me on a plane.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Another tall trans woman, and it doesn't fuss me much but I do get the occasional comment (including once at a mammogram, which was... really? Now?) My usual answer is a slightly wry "lucky genes, I guess".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Basically the correct proportions are that of a Zora from Breath of the Wild, with proportionally tiny legs for easy sitting but really tall bodies and long arms for grabbing things off tall shelves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Basically the correct proportions are that of a Zora from Breath of the Wild, with proportionally tiny legs for easy sitting but really tall bodies and long arms for grabbing things off tall shelves.

As a giant torso haver I disagree, because when you sit you stay tall, meaning that tables are all too short.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's where the long arms come in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I smash my head off something literally once per day

That explains a lot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That explains a lot.

Walked right into that one :rimshot:

Man, height chat never fails to draw everyone in. Even I can never resist it, and I make a point of being all :rolleyes: when anyone mentions it IRL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone has a height, so everyone can have an opinion on them.

Two dimensional posters can't read this so gently caress em.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone has a height, so everyone can have an opinion on them.

Two dimensional posters can't read this so gently caress em.

It's because he's permabanned.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes, but becuse the floor is a long way away I learned to pick things up with my feet so I don't have to reach down, and from there it is a short distance to opening doors with them, so in some ways it actually helps with your coordination.

Yes!
Being able to open doors with your feet while holding heavy stuff in both hands makes you a wizard as far as most common hand users are concerned

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I can't tell if I'm 5'11 who wishes he was 6'0 - meme build
or a 5'10 who wishes he was 5'11 - double meme build

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Camrath posted:

6’2” here, which is just tall enough to be really loving annoying when travelling anywhere.

Not helped by my ridiculously overbroad shoulders. I always pity whoever gets stuck next to me on a plane.

I'm a little over 6'2 as well and it's a curse when it comes to buying a lot of things, especially because I have an unusually long torso.

Also when hearing conversations in crowded areas.

I hate being tall i wish i wasn't as tall.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol I didn't realise Liam Byrne is up against an incumbent Tory for the mayorship

classic labour

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm pretty much exactly 6' which is One Standard Human Unit if you look at charts comparing people to trees or Godzilla, yet unimaginably tall if you look at mattress sizes and how far off the ground sinks are

Also my partner is quite short and a woman once came up to her and rather aggressively told her to "stay in her lane" because apparently women really, really want to date men taller than them and yet I somehow went through my entire 20s without capitalising on this incredible sexual benefit.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 13, 2021

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I'm 5'9" ish, but with disproportionately short legs, which is a boon on planes and stuff, I can't imagine how normal-leg people manage in economy class, it's not exactly fun for me.

At 6'6", planes, trains etc are just a nightmare. it's like having to turn your legs 90 degrees to the side just to get some sort of fit/comfort in the space available.

The weirdest experience is seeing something tall e.g. a wardrobe and thinking "drat that's tall"...until you walk up to it, realising you're as, if not taller, than it.

Also I get super backache trying to shave; the bathroom mirror only shows up to my clavicle when stood in front of it :v:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tall people please continue to post tall hardships for me to enjoy as i sit on my child size bean bag eating a happy meal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah man I haven't had maccers in ages.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Do people really call them Maccers? I've heard Maccie D's but Maccers sounds wrong.

Which I suppose appropriate for a company that makes bad food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do but I can't remember where I picked it up from. I think it might be a regional thing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tall people please continue to post tall hardships for me to enjoy as i sit on my child size bean bag eating a happy meal

I live in a 200+ year old house in the middle of Scotland.

I almost always remember to bend a little at at the doorway to the kitchen, otherwise it hits me at on the top of my head at least once every couple of months. I am 6' tall.

If I am heading out through the backdoor in the kitchen to go for a ride, I have to make sure to duck low as boots+helmet and that aforementioned doorway inevitably result in a crack on the head.

It's hard to stand up in some of the smaller aircraft in the UK when flying locally between England and Scotland.

Smaller than King Size duvets often result in my feet being cold or my neck being cold.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

OwlFancier posted:

I do but I can't remember where I picked it up from. I think it might be a regional thing.

It's definitely a regional thing I go to Maccers for a Maccy Dee's. Also re height chat I'm 5ft 7 the most boring height. Not short but not quite tall enough to stretch for things easily.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

knox_harrington posted:

While constantly smashing your skull and face into things must suck, I refuse to believe that picking things up off the floor is any more difficult for tall people than normal people

It is, you've a lot further to go and if you stand up too quickly you get all faint.

I went to Malta in 2005 and my swimsuit broke, so I went into Valetta to get a new one.
I couldn't stand up straight in the changing room it was so low.
I'm not even particularly tall, scraping 5ft10.
My length is in my body and I have what I think of as short stumpy legs but my last bf said were really long great legs. Ah those were the days.
Also, buying swimsuits with long bodies is quite a problem - being sliced in half lengthwise is not fun.

And in real life news: if you are more than 140cm (4ft7in) tall but are still under 14, child-sized clothes won't fit you and your parents/guardians will have to pay VAT on your clobber. Financial penalty for having tall kids. I was 5ft 8in (173cm) around age 12/13 as were many of my female classmates. This was nearly 50 years ago. When I've been in school classrooms since then, a lot of the girls in Yr 7-9 are that height.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ferrosol posted:

It's definitely a regional thing I go to Maccers for a Maccy Dee's. Also re height chat I'm 5ft 7 the most boring height. Not short but not quite tall enough to stretch for things easily.

5 ft 7 isnt the most boring height, based on this Tweet I saw today.

https://twitter.com/DahliaStKnives/status/1381691494990557186?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If 5 foot 7 is the common height for children, that suggests that there is a brief period where children are about twelve feet tall to account for the time they spend as babies, before regressing to the common adult height.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
During teenage years you may notice that you quadruple in size and mass and begin to spin a cocoon. This is normal.

Also 5'11, but I am hoping that by eating right I can look taller.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Josef bugman posted:

During teenage years you may notice that you quadruple in size and mass and begin to spin a cocoon. This is normal.

Also 5'11, but I am hoping that by eating right I can look taller.

Well a little before your teenage years on average but you need to be careful for final Imago form is incredibly sensitive to the conditions around you while you pupate

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This 'adult height' poo poo is so aggravating because like... people with dwarfism exist?

My wife is congenitally 3 feet tall and she is not a goddamn child.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This comment could be taken to be a bit mean spirited joke so I apologise in advance but I really want to make it and it's not intended to offend:

Way to go admitting you've married a child bride smh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

My mam is like 155cm or something so I guess dad is a paedo? Despite her being older than him by 3 years.

This is some real smartguy poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Mackems 4 Maccers.

The Question IRL posted:

https://twitter.com/AndTheKillers/status/1381659010785443840

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

lol I didn't realise Liam Byrne is up against an incumbent Tory for the mayorship

classic labour

is he good, like at all? got a letter from Labour begging for my vote today and frankly I'm not seeing a reason to give it to them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Byrne or the tory?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

This comment could be taken to be a bit mean spirited joke so I apologise in advance but I really want to make it and it's not intended to offend:

Way to go admitting you've married a child bride smh.

Pure having your cake and eating it this.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Release!

I’m very happy to announce several new flavours are now live and available on my storefront! I’ve gone a bit experimental this time; there are four brand new flavours to try out, as well as significant stock of other favourites.

New flavours are:

Lemon Meringue Pie - Lemon flavoured fudge is combined with candied organic lemon peel and chunks of crunchy meringue. This is a particular favourite of mine- it basically tastes like a bar of lemon curd!

Strawberries And Cream - A new twist on a popular flavour from last year (and indeed my very first cook!), this is made with an obscene amount of clotted cream and dried strawberries. Very soft, and richly decadent even by my standards!

Mint Chocolate - By popular request! My high-grade milk chocolate fudge is enhanced further with a deliciously cool minty finish that lingers for a while.

Salted Caramel - A new twist on another old favourite, this is a combination of rich creamy sweetness and a salty edge to cut through it.

There are also stocks remaining of the following flavours:

Cherry Bakewell (very limited supply!)
Original Vanilla
Pretzelicious
Vegan Cookie
Dark Chocolate

All flavours are available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk

Cheers all, and happy fudging!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well I'm assuming the Tory is bad cause, y'know

Byrne seems like a total shite from his wikipedia article, I was just wondering if there's anything actually good about him

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless he time traveled back and punched hitler in the bollock it seems doubtful tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minister for computer using giving us a masterclass in rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/leicesterliz/status/1381937874900226054

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Couldn't order those new flavours fast enough. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Minister for computer using giving us a masterclass in rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/leicesterliz/status/1381937874900226054

people who think working in supermarkets is an easy ride have never worked there imo lol

i often wonder if that kind of casual derision of people working in retail is responsible for the culture we have these days - that's actually been highlighted by Covid - where people think it's okay to abuse and attack them

in fewer words: what a oval office