Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

History Comes Inside! posted:

Was Dominic Deegan the one with the “he raped her to save her life!” plot line? I never read it but I remember that being a thing in one of those early 00s webcomics which set off a lot of drama at the time.
Yes it was. Then he married her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There are only two good webcomics, Achewood and one I think was called "Force Monkeys" or something similar, which was bizarre. e Which I believe I first found through Gamespy lmao gently caress I'm old

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Data Graham posted:

What all this looking at the first strips of various webcomics is telling me is that

holy poo poo our monitors were low-resolution in 2000

This website is optimized for Netscape Navigator 4.5 using 1024x768 resolution.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Antigravitas posted:

Would you like me to lie to you?

Yes please

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Biplane posted:

There are only two good webcomics, Achewood and one I think was called "Force Monkeys" or something similar, which was bizarre. e Which I believe I first found through Gamespy lmao gently caress I'm old
You missed one

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sluggy Freelance was one of the first webcomics I ever read so it will always have a special place in my heart and I will read if it ever finishes even though it’s not good

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Danaru posted:

Yes please

Well, there's a, uh, prequel that really cleverly recontextualises everything that happened and the author has made a genuine effort to improve their art and have stopped tracing other people's work to focus on their own style. And they do not, I repeat: DO NOT, sell erotic drawings of their own self-insert character having sex.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The author definitely does not find an excuse to draw the pig guy's floppy hog every few pages

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

Sluggy Freelance was one of the first webcomics I ever read so it will always have a special place in my heart and I will read if it ever finishes even though it’s not good

This is me and Questionable content. Though at least QC is significantly less sexually hosed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did the Whomp guy do anything or is that one still ok

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Fell into a depression but apparently is now doing better so that's nice. But nothing problematic!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Same here, although by now I'm sure it'll outlive me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

This is me and Questionable content. Though at least QC is significantly less sexually hosed.

Wait, Sluggy got sexually weird?

Edit: Last time I checked in on Sluggy, he was still making jokes about K'z'k having a weird name, like 15 years after it was funny.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wait, Sluggy got sexually weird?

Edit: Last time I checked in on Sluggy, he was still making jokes about K'z'k having a weird name, like 15 years after it was funny.

Oh thank goodness. Sorry I got webcomic confused!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
[Kramers into thread]

Did someone say Dominic Deegan?!

I feel like that nerd "These simpletons like big boobs, but I, AN INTELLECTUAL, do not!" poo poo came up several times in this comic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Biplane posted:

Something Positive has been going for like 20 years, and it still has the same sort of snarky-but-seriously-depressed tone that it had at the beginning.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My only goof Dominic Deegan memory is when the author tried to make Sigfried this martyr/redemption arc character, but got really mad when everyone cheered when he died

On the opposite end about a year ago I remembered El Goonish Shive, and wondered if he ever found out about gender fluidity. Turns out he did and he's continuing to live his best life now that there's actually a word for it :unsmith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm still enjoying Gunnerkrigg Court, it seems to be building to a big finish at this point too. most recent notable events that are feeling like a build up to a big finale:

Coyote:

Coyote has finished grooming Ysengrin and his big plan has come to fruition, in that he gave Ysengrin some of his power and the he reacted by going berzerk and eating coyote, so now the two are a single far more malevolent dickhead called Loup who has pretty much declared war on the court, closed the ravine between them and used seeds coyote planted to basically destroy the majority of it, so most of the court citizens are now in a few small locations. When the Tree elves tried to help Annie, Loup evicted them from the forest too, so they are stuck living at the court, resulting in a little culture shock on both sides.

Annie:

On her way back from the forest, Antimony found that on arrival back at the court she'd also been living with her father simultaneously for months, so there were two of them for a while, although thanks to Zimmy's weird mind dimension that the two annies were pulled into trying to stop some tree elves that were chasing her thinking she was a demon, the two have now become one again.

Kat:

Kat and her girlfriend Paz (yup, they are a couple now) have had some tensions with Annie, partially because the split caused Kat a lot of stress trying to figure out what the gently caress happened as she's got very good at marrying magic and technology and is using her knowledge to build humanoid bodies for any robots who want the flexibility (and in one case so one of them could pursue a sexual relationship with his girlfriend, who is a court higher-up) and Paz confronted Annie very unprofessionally about the stress she was unknowingly causing Kat. She's since apologised for flying off the handle.

General quest poo poo:

Annie is in the middle of getting three items from the court that Loup wants back, items that coyote used to hide some of his power so that when his plan came to fruition Loup couldn't just do whatever he wanted immediately.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Danaru posted:

My only goof Dominic Deegan memory is when the author tried to make Sigfried this martyr/redemption arc character, but got really mad when everyone cheered when he died

On the opposite end about a year ago I remembered El Goonish Shive, and wondered if he ever found out about gender fluidity. Turns out he did and he's continuing to live his best life now that there's actually a word for it :unsmith:

Aww, that's wholesome. That's a comic that I was... oddly obsessed with in my late teens.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm still enjoying Gunnerkrigg Court, it seems to be building to a big finish at this point too. most recent notable events that are feeling like a build up to a big finale:

Coyote:

Coyote has finished grooming Ysengrin and his big plan has come to fruition, in that he gave Ysengrin some of his power and the he reacted by going berzerk and eating coyote, so now the two are a single far more malevolent dickhead called Loup who has pretty much declared war on the court, closed the ravine between them and used seeds coyote planted to basically destroy the majority of it, so most of the court citizens are now in a few small locations. When the Tree elves tried to help Annie, Loup evicted them from the forest too, so they are stuck living at the court, resulting in a little culture shock on both sides.

General quest poo poo:

Annie is in the middle of getting three items from the court that Loup wants back, items that coyote used to hide some of his power so that when his plan came to fruition Loup couldn't just do whatever he wanted immediately.

Slight correction:

The elves getting shoved out of the forest was because Annie decided she needed their help to get one of the Coyote bits, and when asked about this, Loup just sort of went "Sure, you can have ALL of them" because he's very powerful but not very smart.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll be honest, I've never liked Ysengrin because he's a prideful twat. To be fair though, coyote kept basically stealing all his character development, probably deliberately keeping him that way, otherwise the knowledge that Annie has seen his whole rear end already would probably have weighed on him. The only reason he was never reminded of that little episode is just because Annie is way too forgiving of him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Diegetically, who would be on the X-Men if the it was decided by the citizens of Krakoa? Like who is the most popular among them. If there's no minimum voting age (and with resurrection working how it does there might not be) Magneto would almost certainly be up there, the kids love him. Scott and Jean too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If we're listing good webcomics now I like Kill6BillionDemons, Sleepless Domain and Paranatural (also Gunnerkrigg but already mentioned). That's all I really still check regularly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will never stop being impressed that Schlock Mercenary updated daily until it ended. Like, fully daily, with bigger strips on Sundays.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Dewgy posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about Sarah Zero, which wasn’t a TERF comic at all. More of a delusional narcissistic acid trip.
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain immediately jumped to Sarah Zero. The author posted in the Webcomics thread ~2008, and the meltdown was...quick. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2767210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=105#post344574836

I clicked on the comic url and apparently it's still going in TYOOL 2021, although the creator seems to have gone full crazy pants around 2016 and most of the updates are rants about the "war on masculinity," "beta male enablers," and the "denigration of video game culture" (yes, really).

Make sure to zoom in on that last one for peak idiocy

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Something Positive has been going for like 20 years, and it still has the same sort of snarky-but-seriously-depressed tone that it had at the beginning.

Yea, I hadn't read it in at least a decade fifteen years, and during the pandemic last summer remembered it and caught up. If anything I relate to it way more now than I did in college.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Must suck to have the whole world conspiring to grind you down, huh

Must be awful

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I can't take seriously anyone who uses the green Fallout interface.

I'm sure their opinions are bad if you read what they are, but why would you?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YeahTubaMike posted:

I learned about the "1,000 year old dragon that looks like a little human girl" trope maybe, MAYBE, a couple of weeks before I started playing Fire Emblem Awakening. Until I encountered Nowi, I thought the trope was a silly joke that goons created to make fun of weebs.
https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/minor-setback

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does it have the interface from fallout 3 and doom at the same time?

And why does it have simultaneously 250 ammo and 9 ammo?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

hyperhazard posted:

Make sure to zoom in on that last one for peak idiocy

I can't get myself to read it all, but I'm having a hard time parsing the part I did read. Is this a list of things they believe exists and they re against it, or things that they believe are false? Are they against "toxic feminism" and "white privilege". Or are they against people saying that "toxic feminism" and "white privilege" are a thing? Or is it some of one and some of another?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jjack229 posted:

I can't get myself to read it all, but I'm having a hard time parsing the part I did read. Is this a list of things they believe exists and they re against it, or things that they believe are false? Are they against "toxic feminism" and "white privilege". Or are they against people saying that "toxic feminism" and "white privilege" are a thing? Or is it some of one and some of another?
i think he's prodromal and it's word salad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jjack229 posted:

I like how it starts out as a statement that "I can't deal with The Narrative of the following manufactured terms/concepts:" and then by the time he's done listing off all the buzzwords he can pull out of his Qanon wordcloud, he's transitioned somehow into a WAKE UP, TAKE THE RED PILL exhortation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yall talking webcomics made me look up pennyarcade since it's just so weird to hear of its existence in 2021 and i think the latest strip literally gave me a stroke

This is a mind weapon

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yall talking webcomics made me look up pennyarcade since it's just so weird to hear of its existence in 2021 and i think the latest strip literally gave me a stroke

This is a mind weapon

Wait, are spiders a metaphor for the doctor? Or for needles? If the latter, why is a needle calling him on the phone?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I will never stop being impressed that Schlock Mercenary updated daily until it ended. Like, fully daily, with bigger strips on Sundays.

And all in color no less

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Read After Burning posted:

Wait, are spiders a metaphor for the doctor? Or for needles? If the latter, why is a needle calling him on the phone?

Spiders also don't call on phones.

Do they?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Push El Burrito posted:

Do they?

:phoneb:

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Apr 13, 2021

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Do they?

no, obviously, they use

the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

75% poorly written dialogue, 25% lovely hair, 5% Moon Over June mouths.