Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I'm getting too invested in my job again. It's pretty dead-end and there is no incentive for me to do any extra work but I can't help but go full-steam into a thankless project.

Every job I’ve quit has been completely blindsided. They always think I’m super happy there because I must enjoy the job to be so motivated, but really I just don’t have settings that aren’t “full steam” or “so completely checked out I’m gonna get fired”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Every job I’ve quit has been completely blindsided. They always think I’m super happy there because I must enjoy the job to be so motivated, but really I just don’t have settings that aren’t “full steam” or “so completely checked out I’m gonna get fired”

The past few months I was okay at doing kinda the minimum and skating by but now the guilt is racking up.

I just wish there was a promotion path for me but I can't even get a raise and I'm making less than average for my area.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Great, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has been pulled because 6 people got blood clots.
Six...out of 6.8 million people vaccinated. Granted, I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist or any sort of doctor or scientist, but that seems like REALLY low odds.

I was scheduled to get that vaccine today at 1 PM but not anymore.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Great, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has been pulled because 6 people got blood clots.
Six...out of 6.8 million people vaccinated. Granted, I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist or any sort of doctor or scientist, but that seems like REALLY low odds.

I was scheduled to get that vaccine today at 1 PM but not anymore.

This has been the case for Oxford-AstraZeneca here (with so far one local death that can be attributted to blood clots out of a good million or so vaccinated people). As that was the only vaccine being used for younger folks, now it's only being used for the 60+ population (because clot risk is lower there I think?). A good number of teachers and healthcare people have gotten just the first AZ dose and don't know when or if they are getting the second one. Meanwhile TV keeps pumping up the issue all day - the local teacher who died, and four more cases in all of Europe, and then "Janssen also got six cases so no vaccine is secure!". So people are panicky and many are just saying they won't vaccinate because you can die from it - while the ICUs start getting pumped full of younger folks. It's a mess :sigh:.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Latest software update (I guess) killed off my cursor/pointer thingy. Last year, an update killed off my sound. I "fixed" the sound by getting a USB sound card. I am using a plug-&-play mouse with my laptop, which at least gives me a cursor/pointer arrow. . . but I'm going to have to grit my teeth and buy a new computer.

First world problems, I know, which is why I'm just dropping a grumpy comment here.

This comp: HP something or other, not over 5 yrs old.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Brother got killed crossing a crosswalk by a negligent driver

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ugh, gently caress, dude. I know it's fairly meaningless from a rando on the internet, but my condolences. gently caress lovely drivers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Seconded. I'm really sorry for your loss.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress dude, that sucks a lot. The worst poo poo that’s going to linger is the “what if” stuff because it’s so random. I’ve had two friends go like that and it sticks around for a long time and you can’t let yourself go into that thought trap.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

my day is literally lovely because my main sewer line backed up and spewed wastewater all over my living room, rendering literally half of my house completely uninhabitable for the foreseeable future

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My laptop just went :confused: :shrug: when trying to access my 4TB external drive over the network. Long story short, the drive is visible to Windows but not initialized, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking of the five years of photos, videos, music, work projects, and more that I'm going to have to pay someone to try to restore. gently caress. At least the drive was less than half full, I guess. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I ate a rest stop sandwich I really should not have and was very lucky I made it to the next rest stop without having to change my pants. Highway driving and an upset stomach are a match made in hell.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
My mom made a lot of money, like a life changing amount of money out of all this stupid cryptocurrency bullshit partially with my help and then revealed she’s relapsed on meth. I haven’t been this angry in years.

Nobody will benefit from this.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

We are amazingly short staffed at work, and my one coworker and myself are the only two left in our section. We're slowly drowning.

Having a paycheck is nice, and being backed by a union means they can't gently caress us over quite as effectively as they could if the union wasn't there. But there's still just so. much. to. do. and we're only two people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got my second shot yesterday, which is good and all, but BOY do I feel miserable today. went to bed feeling the beginnings of achiness and a very dull throb in my head, and the next time I woke up I was shaking like a leaf from a fever despite having the room heater set to 75 and being under two heavy blankets. then the next time I woke up my fever had already broken, but I was utterly soaked through. now I'm just achey all over, so hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones and get over the side effects of the vaccine through the course of today. My stepdad was clobbered by it for like 3 days straight so hopefully that's not how it'll go down for me.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

tweaked my thumb again when putting on a sock. it's going to hurt for weeks and i'm so mad

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been trying to get onto disability for a while now, since I've had terrible migraines my entire life, and have never really been able to work more than 50-60%, and that's at the expense of everything outside of work, including my health and wellbeing.
Now I've finally managed to start the process for it, but to prove that I'm not capable of working fulltime, I have to get a loving second job to work at for an undetermined amount of time, so that the boss + guidance company can testify that I'm sick.
All this on top of/beside of my actual work, which I'll have to tone down despite being far more lucrative than any job I'll be forced to take. Because it would be even shittier if I spend months on a job I hate, just to have them reject my application due to working too much between the 2 jobs.

It's nice to vent a little, but this is going to be lovely and exhausting. My medical history and work history means loving zilch to them.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 18:49 on May 17, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mom fell and hit her head real bad on the floor. Now we get to sit in the ER waiting room for 5 hours where if she had any serious bleeding or anything she'd be dead before getting admitted, cool

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I am loosing my job this week, the ongoing pandemic shutdown on international travel killed the airline contracts I worked on and with government support ending there is just nothing that can be done about it. I really don't want to go back to jumping through hoops to get centerlink payments again, having to go to a disability employment agency appointment three times a week just to be treated like a piece of poo poo for not instantly getting a new job sucks.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Oh cool my other dog stopped eating, and had to be put down due to internal bleeding from cancer he suddenly had. Cool cool cool. It’s been 4 months since we put the last one down. 2 dogs to zero in 4 months. Awesome great fantastic thanks. Definitely not destroying me right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LeafyOrb posted:

Oh cool my other dog stopped eating, and had to be put down due to internal bleeding from cancer he suddenly had. Cool cool cool. It’s been 4 months since we put the last one down. 2 dogs to zero in 4 months. Awesome great fantastic thanks. Definitely not destroying me right now.

My heart breaks. You don't deserve that. Hold on and let the mourning happen.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We had to take our 17.5-year-old pup in today to be put down, poor sweet thing. Bless you, Stanzie.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just found out my Dad has cancer and will be under the knife for major operations in the next couple weeks. Its been just over 2 years since it killed my Mum.

My Dad's always been a strong military guy and it'll be heartbreaking to see him slowly die.

Cancer loving sucks goons, all my love to anyone suffering through it personally or through a loved one.

Give your parents a hug.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dad's getting really unsteady nowadays and straight up could not hold his cup of coffee without trembling so much it spilled everywhere when we went out for breakfast yesterday morning. he's also losing control of his bowels, though I don't know if that's a temporary thing, but based on how he's been aging/deteriorating the last two years, I still think he got diagnosed with Alzheimer's a couple years back when he went to get a full checkup done and is just refusing to tell me. he's been really focused on getting his affairs in order lately, last will and testament, going through all his belongings and disposing of anything unnecessary, that sort of thing, so I feel like he's just setting things up to die or be put in an elderly care home at any time.

I look at my neighbors, who I love like family, and see how despite them being about the same age as my parents, still have two of their parents alive, while all my grandparents died decades ago and my parents are going downhill fairly quick too. Soon I'll have no immediate family left despite only being in my mid thirties, and it's getting to me.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Today i realized that I spent my entire quarterly bonus on food. I'm not even fat.
Also i have zero passion in existing since my life-project died which means I've been living is stasis for two years going through the motions with no soul behind it. I have no idea how to regain that passion and am terrified to admit that it's probably over for good.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I look at my neighbors, who I love like family, and see how despite them being about the same age as my parents, still have two of their parents alive, while all my grandparents died decades ago and my parents are going downhill fairly quick too. Soon I'll have no immediate family left despite only being in my mid thirties, and it's getting to me.

I 100% understand this emotion and these thoughts. I'm 32 and caught myself mildly resenting friends happy families with multiple generations still kicking and no end in sight.

It is what it is mate and I feel for you. It's nice that you are so close to your neighbours and it's on us to make our own families I guess, even if they aren't blood related.

All the best

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I never knew my grandparents growing up; one pair lived on the other end of the country, and the other about 2 hours away. Despite us visiting them often, it was never a real visit; the kids played in one room and the adults smoked in another. I barely remember my grandma other than how pissy she was about everything and how she smoked nonstop. And drank coffee. And would tell you how fat you are getting and insist on you having third servings.

So when I see local families with grandparents and great-grandparents, or my friends talk about theirs, it's the same as when they mention siblings: I have one brother but we're estranged and I haven't spoken to him in years. It's pretty much me and my mom and a few friends. My dad I barely talk to; he has no idea I despise him as the racist bigot he is.

A professor and family friend of mine died about a month ago. There are literally thousands of people who knew him and miss him and love him, and I keep wondering what kind of hosed up world is it where someone like him dies, and people like my dad are still alive.

My friend has some bad depression, can't afford her medication, and is in a bad place right now with work, and there's only so much I can do to help when she's in another country. I thought Canada covered poo poo like this but even the generic poo poo is out of her price range.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plethora posted:

Today i realized that I spent my entire quarterly bonus on food. I'm not even fat.
Also i have zero passion in existing since my life-project died which means I've been living is stasis for two years going through the motions with no soul behind it. I have no idea how to regain that passion and am terrified to admit that it's probably over for good.

You might still be in mourning. Don't rush the loss of something major. Feel the pain, don't cling, let it go. Let yourself find something new. It doesn't have to be your life-project mk. 2, it doesn't have to be grand, it doesn't have to be anything ambitious. It just has to be something that fills you.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All men are dogs. Big dogs. You like them maybe, like to see them around and mostly they're friendly and sometimes you really love one, and the world would not function so well without them. Some are obviously bad, raised wrong and mistreated and damaged and you avoid them because they're a mass of warning signs and probably chained up in a junkyard somewhere. But most are fine, and after a while they're just there and you stop thinking about it, and then suddenly you become aware that at any given moment for reasons beyond your understanding one might suddenly turn on you and just loving kill you. Being a woman is cool as hell

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also I'm probably getting made redundant, which is annoying but also gently caress going to work, like an idiot

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there such a thing as a giant professional disappointment support group? Like for people who are mid-career and realize their choices have led them to a place they do not want or cannot succeed in.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Bought two young canaries a week ago. Fully fledged, starting to sing. Feed canaries today. Door stuck open. Both got out and probably will be eaten by a cat outside. gently caress.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is going to sound bad but stick with me.

My grandma is still alive and everyone hates it.

She's going through the late stages of Alzheimer's, which is a horrible way to go, and it's making her really angry and aggressive with people. The thing is that she was kinda that way beforehand. She's a lifelong alcoholic, racist and homophobe. When my mom came out, my grandma cut her and our ENTIRE side of the family from her life for over a decade. She never tried to make amends. She acted like it never happened.
She smokes and drinks all day and refuses to die. Every moment around her was a huge hassle before her brain started to rot and now it's intolerable.

And yet she must remain a stalwart defender against gay black people or whatever.

Rest in piss, you unreasonable shithead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really don't hate my job, in-fact a lot about it is nice, but it's absolutely not where I "should" be (e.g: it's not part of my career track, I'm not suited to a big part of the job, but I'm too good at it and too reliant on the (barely adequate) pay to just quit/get fired. It's generally awkward as gently caress just being there). I'm stuck at least six more months working on other things until I can hopefully get lucky and transition out. It makes some days difficult.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Um...yeah... Forget what was posted here, I was apparently incorrect

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My laptop died for good I think and i can't afford a replacement

And I had a dream where a spirit showed me a "bad" version of myself, sitting in a basement doing acid and listening to nine inch nails, playing dungeons and dragons with my big titty goth girlfriend and our friends. Motherfucker this is way better than my actual life, gently caress!! Was so shook i couldn't fall back asleep so I am tired and extra gruntled

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

My laptop died for good I think and i can't afford a replacement

Related to this, I learned that I should prolly get on the update-to-Win10 bandwagon, and the free upgrade doesn't work since my system is "haven't done an upgrade to my hardware in an age" old.

It's barely needing an upgrade I can't afford, it's an entire new computer I can't afford.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Summer is full on here and my apartment is a goddamn furnace. AC barely works, airflow is minimal. The place just traps in heat which is great for winter but not right now.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Last night started with witnessing a baby squirrel get hit by the car in front of mine, and proceeded accordingly. The A/C is broken in the office, and it's the beginning of tourist and wedding season so we're booking fast and guess who gets yelled at by default due to being the only one on-site overnight? On top of all that, this hotel was neglected for nearly a decade so there are so many problems and things we need but don't have. I'm trying desperately to escape to a better job but every day I can't yet is more exhausting and saps my will to live just a little more. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to drink some Bacardi and then go to sleep as long as I possibly can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Went to grab a new bag of brown rice to prep for dinner, and...saw a grain of rice move. And then another. And then dozens. And noticed a few tiny caterpillars (I assume) worming their way out of a hole in the bag, into a hole they had chewed in the bag next to them. So the whole lot of it has gotta go. Great, my entire rice supply got contaminated by what I assume are moth larvae since I've been seeing these annoying little moths come out of seemingly nowhere recently. Guess I have to keep any bags I get from now on in the fridge if the little bastards are able to chew through the goddamn plastic