Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I'd say actual fans of the character would rather not see him at all than a lovely version that doesn't do him a molecule of justice.

We're getting into who counts as a real fan here, so I'm gonna dip out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I feel like Cassandra Cain in Birds of Prey is a good counter example.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She should have been called Stephanie Brown

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She should have been called Stephanie Brown

Would have fit better, but just making her an original character would have been better than tying her to any of the Bat Girls. Then it's less weird when she more or less becomes Harley's sidekick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really know the character, but I don't really see any reason why they can't retcon in her comics backstory or some version of it subsequently. "She gets kidnapped and brainwashed to be an assassin" is a pretty easy route to go if they wanted it. Or "her real, evil parents programmed her with fighting skills as a sleeper agent (since she's a foster kid in the movie)", etc etc.

You can easily set up an eventual route where she gets with Batman, which creates interesting dynamics between Harley and the Bat Family.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vince MechMahon posted:

We're getting into who counts as a real fan here, so I'm gonna dip out of this one.

Probably for the best. Maybe you're right though and, say, Renee Montoya fans would have loved it if the female detective in The Dark Knight who sells out to the mob and causes the assistant DA to be killed actually *was* Renee as opposed to Major Crimes Cop #2. Sure, she's a cowardly scumbag in it but at least she's in the film for a couple of scenes, right?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

I don't really know the character, but I don't really see any reason why they can't retcon in her comics backstory or some version of it subsequently. "She gets kidnapped and brainwashed to be an assassin" is a pretty easy route to go if they wanted it. Or "her real, evil parents programmed her with fighting skills as a sleeper agent (since she's a foster kid in the movie)", etc etc.

You can easily set up an eventual route where she gets with Batman, which creates interesting dynamics between Harley and the Bat Family.

She didn't just growing up as an assassin, but as one so hyper focused on fighting that they neglected to teach her any other socialization, to the extent that she was mute for a long time. Overcoming that brainwashing and learning to interact with people like a human instead of a killing machine is her major story arc. Sure, you could come up with a way for her to become an assassin in the movie universe, but having her start off as the chatty pick pocket who gets a surrogate mother in Harley is already a huge departure.

Granted I don't really expect them to figure out what they are doing with Batman in that continuity any time soon, so it likely doesn't matter anyway. To my original point, she was a fine character in Birds of Prey that was made awkward by giving her a familiar comics name that had nothing to do with her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Probably for the best. Maybe you're right though and, say, Renee Montoya fans would have loved it if the female detective in The Dark Knight who sells out to the mob and causes the assistant DA to be killed actually *was* Renee as opposed to Major Crimes Cop #2. Sure, she's a cowardly scumbag in it but at least she's in the film for a couple of scenes, right?

If other than the corruption she was exactly like Renee visually and attitude wise I wouldn't have minded this. But I guess I'm not a true fan. I also didn't mind any of the changes made in the Joker, but maybe they should have called that something else because it might have upset the real fans?

If they didn't want to associate Eckhart with Bullock they shouldn't have had him be a sloppy detective in a fedora and overcoat with a crude yet sardonic sense of humor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody was talking about AoS. They specifically said movies. Keep up.

Vince brought up the show.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My baseless assumption about Shazam 2: Electric Magic Boogaloo using an original villain, is because the name Isis is a no go.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wouldn't Isis more likely be in the Black Adam movie?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vince MechMahon posted:

If other than the corruption she was exactly like Renee visually and attitude wise I wouldn't have minded this. But I guess I'm not a true fan. I also didn't mind any of the changes made in the Joker, but maybe they should have called that something else because it might have upset the real fans?

If they didn't want to associate Eckhart with Bullock they shouldn't have had him be a sloppy detective in a fedora and overcoat with a crude yet sardonic sense of humor.

And that is where we differ, Vince. If they're not going to remain true in spirit, personally I'd rather they just didn't bother. Killing Bullock before he has a chance to develop and redeem himself, having Montoya in Maroni's pocket and selling out her colleagues, having a Cassandra Cain who is so far removed from the character people loved in the first place as to more or less be someone else...I just find it lame, it's the worst kind of low effort fan service. "Look, it's that thing! Sure, it's nothing actually like the thing beyond its name and a superficial visual level but hey! Thing! They're here!"

For example, I doubt anyone minded Flass in Batman Begins. Visually, he was nothing like Flass from the comic - indeed, he was basically Eckhart 2.0, another schlub cop - but he absolutely was Flass where it counted, character-wise. And that's all I'm saying. As long as a character is (reasonably) in keeping with the spirit of the original in service to the story being told, that's what I'm looking for in an adaptation. And conversely, having Bullock be onscreen only to do some don's dirty work and die, the end would not bring me joy.

[insert 'furious 1000 word rant about why Keanu-Conjob is straight up trash because he actually learns his lesson at the end of the film and quits smoking instead of ploughing on through 3 packs of Silk Cut a day like an idiot champ' here]

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think where we differ is the core of how we look at the movies. l'm never expecting a 1:1 translation unless it's Sin City and that's the gimmick. I look at all movies as Elseworlds. They're different takes on existing characters, with any luck by a creative team that has something interesting to say with those characters, even if they're changed from their "true" versions. Corrupt Burton-Verse Bullock who's a corrupt rear end in a top hat is more interesting to me, and due to his name and that little slice of recognition, makes me just a sliver more invested than some new guy named Eckhart, when for the purposes of the movie, 8/10 things about those characters are already identical.

You can certainly go too far and make it ridiculous, like the previously mentioned Cassandra Caine in Birds of Prey. That one's a real head scratcher even to me. And there's certainly times where you can add in a new character to fill a niche. But generally I just prefer seeing versions of characters I'm familiar with, whether they're altered or almost the same. The more major the character the longer the list of things I want to see becomes, but my list is probably different than anyone elses.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

They tried it with Jimmy Olsen and it didn't go down too well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Karloff posted:

They tried it with Jimmy Olsen and it didn't go down too well.

:laugh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wouldn't Isis more likely be in the Black Adam movie?

Current speculation is that she is and Sarah Shahi is playing her

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What they did with Jimmy was dumb but only because Jenny was already those movies version of Jimmy. They just didn't give her that last name. It was Eckhart all over again!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think there's definitely a "if you're going to change everything about them, why are you insisting on using that character" line, and it's important to realize when you've gone over it and it's time to just give them a new name and be done with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They have Isis on Legends of Tomorrow, but just call her Zari.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gotham had Flass but called him Bullock. They also could have called Eckhart Flass, now that I think of it. And Batman Begins had Flass but had him dress and look like Bullock.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEE4RO-_jug

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THEY'RE GOING TO SPACE HOLY gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The end of that trailer literally knocked me on my rear end, what a loving series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i've never wanted anything more in my entire life and i had no idea up until i watched that trailer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I cannot believe this is a series where the first movie revolved around stealing some VHS players from a semi

What an utterly magnificent and stupid series :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think the new character/old character royalty thing is a bit of a complicated knot of weirdness. There is the situation with Killer Frost in the Flash show where they used a different character alias for Killer Frost. The even more egregious one was them having Jason Rusch appear briefly but having some other character play Firestorm even though that character has exactly the same characteristics as Rusch (but they gave him a completely original name which just felt like they used the exact same character but changed the name around to avoid paying royalties). Then the whole thing about "derivative character" came out about having a character share the same characteristics but changed just enough as to say it is an original character.
One of the biggest ones I can think of, and one that is kind of weird because they changed the already given name to another already given name, is Ned Leeds, who is done to the core Ganke, in the recent Spiderman movies. The whole thing felt like they didn't want to pay Bendis or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I think the new character/old character royalty thing is a bit of a complicated knot of weirdness. There is the situation with Killer Frost in the Flash show where they used a different character alias for Killer Frost. The even more egregious one was them having Jason Rusch appear briefly but having some other character play Firestorm even though that character has exactly the same characteristics as Rusch (but they gave him a completely original name which just felt like they used the exact same character but changed the name around to avoid paying royalties). Then the whole thing about "derivative character" came out about having a character share the same characteristics but changed just enough as to say it is an original character.
One of the biggest ones I can think of, and one that is kind of weird because they changed the already given name to another already given name, is Ned Leeds, who is done to the core Ganke, in the recent Spiderman movies. The whole thing felt like they didn't want to pay Bendis or something.

There are two Killer Frosts in the comics, the CW version is based off the latter version. When the writer who created her, Sterling Gates, filed for royalties, CW told him she was a derivative character of the original and he wasn't entitled to royalties since he didn't creator. He then contacted Gerry Conway about it as he created the original version. Conway filed and the CW told him she was not the version he created and thus was not entitled to any royalties. The CW spent a few weeks essentially telling both writers that neither of them had created the character. They eventually folded and I believe both writers received their owed royalties.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

And now Sterling Gates writes for The Flash so I guess there were no hard feelings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#JusticeForHan

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where’s Shaw he’s family now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They’re gonna bring back Gal Gadot then, right? It’s not like they can’t afford her or that death means anything in this series. Bring her back!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are we sure they're going to space there and not being dropped into water in a submarine? The craft they're in looks more submarine than spaceship and aren't those diving suits they're wearing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Hobbes and Shaw going to continue as it's own thing?

Cause they better all get back together for the finale, Fast 10: Your Seatbelts

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is Hobbes and Shaw going to continue as it's own thing?

Cause they better all get back together for the finale, Fast 10: Your Seatbelts

I'd say that's the stupidest thing I saw all day but I watched that trailer above so I can't.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Are we sure they're going to space there and not being dropped into water in a submarine? The craft they're in looks more submarine than spaceship and aren't those diving suits they're wearing?

It's home brew, but they are definitely on a space shuttle.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

It's home brew, but they are definitely on a space shuttle.

Well, gently caress yeah.

Hope the post credits teaser is Riddick.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat I love those movies. It's just such crazy stupid fun. I'm all for it.

And let's go Helen Mirren drifting!

Endless Mike posted:

#JusticeForHan

I really wonder how they either explain him being alive. Like a while movie was about getting revenge on the guy who killed him. They might owe Shaw an apology

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

God drat I love those movies. It's just such crazy stupid fun. I'm all for it.

And let's go Helen Mirren drifting!

I really wonder how they either explain him being alive. Like a while movie was about getting revenge on the guy who killed him. They might owe Shaw an apology

Nah Shaw at the very least absolutely thought he was killing him.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Fast 10: Your Seatbelts

:holymoley:

Also, Han is obviously a time traveller. They're knocking the time travel sequel and the space sequel out at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like in that trailer the most unbelievable thing is still Vin Diesel and John Cena being brothers.