Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

a kitten posted:

But not too far of a long way, because that's also roughly when I read Whitley Strieber's Communion and that stupid book gave me a low key phobia about looking out windows after dark that lasted well into adulthood.

I had that same phobia but the weird part is, I lived out in the country and went camping a lot, and it somehow started even before I really cared about aliens. I specifically recall a day dream where a deer, of all things, spooked me by looking in. Something about its intelligent eyes freaked me out.

And then aliens and chupacabras entered the scene :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I haven't seen a couple of my buddies in over a year and apparently during Covid they both got suuuuuper into Youtube ghost investigations. Like they went out and bought some noise machine that cycles through radio stations really quickly and somehow ghosts talk through that....somehow? The ones they were absolutely giddy about showing me were from some channel called Ghosts of Maine or something. One clip (which seems to be recorded on like a 3mp digital camera) was pretty clearly a cat jumping from behind a curtain and another one just kinda looked like someone sitting on a bed (super out of focus, he screams and messes the camera up, and then doesn't walk around to the other side of the bed at all).

So the long and short is now I'm addicted to youtube ghost videos. Anyone know of a "good" Youtube ghost channel that doesn't make every episode like 2 hours long to review 14 seconds of footage?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not sure but I recently found out one channel is still going strong despite them uploading a video where they forgot to edit out the guy giving commands to his buddy to let a door open so it looked like a ghost did it.

twistedmentat posted:

It all starts with HP Lovecraft and then people thinking HP Lovecraft was writing about things that actually happened. That lead to a book called Morning of the Magicians that was written by some French guy who combined that with the 19th century spiritual movements beliefs about Ancient Knowledge from the East that only seems to be discovered by white people. Stichin was able to exploit the fact that very little of ancient Sumerian texts were translated and what was translated wasn't widely available, so he could just make up whataver he wanted and no one could check what he way saying. So it was easy to go "The Annunaki came from Nibiru to mine gold, and created humanity to be their slaves" to be in the Epic of Gilgamesh when In reality its "And Gilgamesh slew the beast Tiamat in the name of Marduk and the blessing of Ishtar". Now that the translations are pretty easy to find you can't do that but they're still promoting it, trusting the lazy and ignorant masses to go "yea that sounds right". Von Danniken does the same thing taking academically known stuff and acting like it was a big mystery because at one point it was a mystery.

Feel dumb forgetting this because I have the book that's about how it all started with Lovecraft.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

a kitten posted:

But not too far of a long way, because that's also roughly when I read Whitley Strieber's Communion and that stupid book gave me a low key phobia about looking out windows after dark that lasted well into adulthood.

When I was in scouts, a bunch of us watched Communion together. When we went on a camping trip next, we got freaked the poo poo out because there was a bag in the moonlight outside of the tent that looked like one of the black robed goblins.

Speaking of Goblins, one of the crazier alien encounters is the Hopkinsville Goblins. A bunch of rural folk are home and one of the women sees this little silver thing outside. The men, being American men, started blastin'. The goblins when stuck by buckshot, made the sound of a holly metal drum being hit, and woud sometimes curl up in a little ball. Every time one of the goblins showed itself, the men would start shooting, even if the goblins weren't actually making any threatening actions. The people didn't see anymore for a while, until one was seen looking in at one of the women in bed through a window, to which one of the men came in and started blasting it with his shotgun again.

When police arrived they looked around the property, seeing lots of buckshot and bullet damage around the house, but no bodies of goblins. They did find a weird place where one of the goblins at been hit that was glowing but no blood, no material, no nothing. The police got the witnesses to describe what they saw, and they all described very similar creatures. Though like a lot of weird things seen in the night, it was probably owls.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Feel dumb forgetting this because I have the book that's about how it all started with Lovecraft.

Yea, a lot, and I mean a lot of beliefs about weird poo poo is people confusing media with reality. I've seen believers say that Lovecraft didn't know he was writing truth, and it was filtered through his mind, so things aren't exactly how they wrote it. Leng exists, just not full of big purple spiders, not partially in the dreamlands and not called Leng.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Apr 13, 2021

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
My favorite ghost hunting show was Paranormal Home Inspectors. A single season aired 'round 'bouts 2011, but had credits and effects care of Windows Movie Maker circa 2004. It followed three individuals (a professional home inspector, a paranormal investigator, and a "spiritual healer) who examined homes which the inhabitants claim spoooooky things are happening. The catch is they don't investigate all at once. They send people in one at a time and then the investigator collates everything to show the home owners.

First we lead with the home inspector, who is an absolute legend. Best part of the show. He immediately comes in and starts laying down rational explanations for everything going on. Doors opening on their own? They aren't level and not latching properly. Rooms colder than the rest of the house? You put furniture over the vents, of course it's colder in there. Objects are being found out of place? Surprise, the homeowners have pets and they likely just messed with things. I would honestly love to watch just a show of this guy going through supposed haunted houses and just diagnosing the structural problems.

After the home inspector, we get... *sigh* ...the "spiritual healer." Right off the bat she starts with the typical woo-woo bullshit; sensing energies and feeling presences. Just about every episode she finds spooky vibes all over the place, including parts of the home the home owners never reported issues in. Also does cold reading poo poo, like sensing an old person died in the house... In a multi-generational family farmstead. What's strange to me is that they have her "investigation" after the home inspector. You'd think they'd want to lead with the spooky stuff first, then bring in rational explanations. As it is, it just leads to the home inspector making everyone else, sometimes including the home owners, look like outright fools.

Speaking of fools, we wrap up with the paranormal investigator. She comes in for an overnight filming, bringing along her trusty cameraman and whatever intern was available for the filming. They set up some cheap looking motion sensors and then proceed to run around the house like it was a Scooby Doo gag. They overreact to just about nearly every little house noise you can imagine. The worst part ties back around to pets. They set up these loud, chiming motion sensors, but they don't bother having the home owners pets relocated. We only get one instance of a (very good) catte on camera, but surprise, surprise, the houses that set the motion detectors off the most are the houses where the home inspector chalked things up to pets.

Show ends with the investigator compiling the footage, plus some research taken from the local records office, to show the home owners. It's disheartening seeing people outright dismiss what the home inspector says, but it's also really funny watching a spouse roll their eyes while their SO buys into the ghost BS. Also there was an episode where the investigator all but outright tells a home owner he's being abducted by aliens.

Good poo poo. An absolute laugh to watch with friends and intoxicants.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My favorite ghost hunting show was Paranormal Home Inspectors.

This is both the dumbest and best reality show, an absolute must watch for anyone in this thread.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, a lot, and I mean a lot of beliefs about weird poo poo is people confusing media with reality. I've seen believers say that Lovecraft didn't know he was writing truth, and it was filtered through his mind, so things aren't exactly how they wrote it. Leng exists, just not full of big purple spiders, not partially in the dreamlands and not called Leng.

I'm sure you know this but this phenomenon of people thinking weird poo poo from fiction is true is much older than Lovecraft. For example, all the weird beliefs people have about the Holy Grail come from medieval writers like Chretien de Troyes and Thomas Malory, many of whom framed their stories as having been "discovered" rather than made up. But they weren't intended to be taken as factual any more than Tolkien intended people to believe that his works were really taken from the writings of Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, how many Christians in 2021 take their beliefs from Paradise Lost (via cultural osmosis) over the actual Bible?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My favorite ghost hunting show was Paranormal Home Inspectors.
Good internet person Jenny Nicholson did a breakdown of this show a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BlydBMAVU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm sure you know this but this phenomenon of people thinking weird poo poo from fiction is true is much older than Lovecraft. For example, all the weird beliefs people have about the Holy Grail come from medieval writers like Chretien de Troyes and Thomas Malory, many of whom framed their stories as having been "discovered" rather than made up. But they weren't intended to be taken as factual any more than Tolkien intended people to believe that his works were really taken from the writings of Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam.

Oh yea, thats been going on forever, but it was bolted onto already existing mythology, this is something taken from whole cloth. Before all this, the Ancient Mysteries were all attributed to lost civilizations; Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria, Thule, Hyperborea whatever you wanted to use. Lots of 19th century mystics claimed to have gone to Tibet and found ancient scrolls or met with sages that told them that actually all world knowlage and culture comes from ancient white people who were destroyed. This is also why so much of that kind of stuff was so racist and it influenced a lot of racists.

Lovecraft's idea of aliens from space coming down and influencing humanity injected an entire new thread of crazy bullshit.

Knormal posted:

Good internet person Jenny Nicholson did a breakdown of this show a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

When i saw this being discussed I was wondering if it was the show Jenny Nicholson had talked about a while back.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Solice Kirsk posted:

So the long and short is now I'm addicted to youtube ghost videos. Anyone know of a "good" Youtube ghost channel that doesn't make every episode like 2 hours long to review 14 seconds of footage?

I've been following Slapped Ham for a while. https://www.youtube.com/user/SlappedHamTV He's got loads of uploads and a good many are explainable like mysterious screams in the night are wildcats yowling, but they're fun enough for a watch. On the subject of Youtube video addictions, I've been following a lot of I think's called Analog Horror. Local 58's the best of them, but others aren't too shabby. I've been following The Minerva Alliance, Gemini Home Entertainment, and Surreal Broadcast since they seem the most steady with putting out content compared to some of the other channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPDVGwPPQA

I've also stumbled across the Cryptid Zoo book series. They're overall not bad, think Jurassic Park, but with cryptids.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure but I recently found out one channel is still going strong despite them uploading a video where they forgot to edit out the guy giving commands to his buddy to let a door open so it looked like a ghost did it.

Here's RLM talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_BT8gYAAA&t=575s

The "ghost hunter" Moe Sargi's channel still has over 2.5 million subscribers. He's also got a bunch of Slenderman-themed videos!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I found out about it from RLM and I think it was Leon Lush who did a reaction to the channel and I realized from the voice it was the same guy and I'm thinking how the gently caress did he not only survive a blunder like that but thrive.

He has twice as many subs as RLM for gently caress's sake.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Apr 13, 2021

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had that same phobia but the weird part is, I lived out in the country and went camping a lot, and it somehow started even before I really cared about aliens. I specifically recall a day dream where a deer, of all things, spooked me by looking in. Something about its intelligent eyes freaked me out.

And then aliens and chupacabras entered the scene :cry:

My grandparents lived in a mobile home in rural Oregon, right on the edge of the small town of Siletz, not far from Newport for anyone who knows the area. As a kid anytime we went to visit them I had to sleep on the sofa in the living room, where the main entrance was a sliding glass door facing the woods. I used to have nightmares about opening the curtain that covered the door and just having an animal there staring in at me. This being Oregon these nightmares sometimes dovetailed with bigfoot stories.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stereobreadsticks posted:

My grandparents lived in a mobile home in rural Oregon, right on the edge of the small town of Siletz, not far from Newport for anyone who knows the area. As a kid anytime we went to visit them I had to sleep on the sofa in the living room, where the main entrance was a sliding glass door facing the woods. I used to have nightmares about opening the curtain that covered the door and just having an animal there staring in at me. This being Oregon these nightmares sometimes dovetailed with bigfoot stories.

When I was a kid my family moved out to a small Australian town and our house was surrounded by a thick eucalyptus forest full of koalas. No one told me that they made all sorts of godawful sounds at night so you can imagine how I felt the first night when I was woken up by this poo poo right outside my window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9XICf9ylU&t=30s

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Koalas make sounds that do not sound like something that looks like a Koala should make.

It's like if a teddy bear was the lead singer in a death metal band.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Videos of koalas fighting are crazy because they sound like loving demons

Like if I heard that poo poo at night and somebody told me it was a drop bear, I'd be too scared to not believe it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I sub to a bunch of spooky youtube channels, some do purely ARG/Unfiction type stuff (which often gets mistaken for reality by people I noticed) some do nothing but IRL spooky stuff and some do a mixture

Barely and Slightly Sociable
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9PIn6-XuRKZ5HmYeu46AIw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgmI-uiLLAg--vDe7FFdekA

Nexpo (formerly Nightmare Expo)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFFItkfZz1qz5PpHpqzYBw

ReignBot
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCchWU8ta6L-Dy3rGIxPINzw

Nightmind (though 100% a ARG channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58IKuPHnZkdCZ6T5mSRGCg

Lemmino
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRcgy6GzDeccI7dkbbBna3Q

ScareTheater
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGOgwGKnDVOKY0DrFsBAiA

I can't remember which one said it, but one of those channels said "if it could be an ARG or an Art Project, it probably is", though some videos on those channels seem to take "this is a cult in Second Life!" on face value.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I think that may have been Barely Socialable and/or Lemimo. They both seem to do a lot of "here's a weird website / reddit user, detail, detail, detail, probably an ARG"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nonathlon posted:

I think that may have been Barely Socialable and/or Lemimo. They both seem to do a lot of "here's a weird website / reddit user, detail, detail, detail, probably an ARG"

Yea, those would be who i'd guess. Probably Barely Socialable based on his content. Nexpo seems to do a lot of videos about cults. Pretty sure that's in Kanye Quest because cults are an easy way to make things seem spooky.

Talking about these channels, i found out the Wyoming Incident never happened, it is an ARG but people report the video aspect as something that happened along with the Ashtar hijack or the Max headroom incident.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I read this thread with some interest but I am a bit confused by the notion that chupacabra is just alien from Species. I googled it and it has large tits and rear end hanging out which I do not believe are really featured in popular depictions of chupacabra. Is it like that famous footage of Bigfoot where people just try to ignore the boobs?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sad question posted:

I read this thread with some interest but I am a bit confused by the notion that chupacabra is just alien from Species. I googled it and it has large tits and rear end hanging out which I do not believe are really featured in popular depictions of chupacabra. Is it like that famous footage of Bigfoot where people just try to ignore the boobs?

The first chupacabra "eyewitness" drew this sketch soon afterwards:

Which is not exactly the same as Sil from Species but really really similar in a lot of ways (possibly mixed with a classic grey alien):

A researcher also confirmed that the witness had seen the movie Species shortly before the alleged sighting and thought they were the same type of creature:

quote:

A five-year investigation by Benjamin Radford, documented in his 2011 book Tracking the Chupacabra, concluded that the description given by the original eyewitness in Puerto Rico, Madelyne Tolentino, was based on the creature Sil in the 1995 science-fiction horror film Species.[1] The alien creature Sil is nearly identical to Tolentino's chupacabra eyewitness account and she had seen the movie before her report: "It was a creature that looked like the chupacabra, with spines on its back and all... The resemblance to the chupacabra was really impressive", Tolentino reported.[9] Radford revealed that Tolentino "believed that the creatures and events she saw in Species were happening in reality in Puerto Rico at the time", and therefore concludes that "the most important chupacabra description cannot be trusted".[1] This, Radford believes, seriously undermines the credibility of the chupacabra as a real animal.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Apr 14, 2021

sad question
May 30, 2020

Okay, that makes a little more sense. I was thrown off because results in image search really show off everything but the spikes on Sil.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HR Giger's Chupacabra

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also I have no firm evidence to explain why the chupacabra urban legend evolved from "upright spiky reptilian alien vampires" to "coyotes with mange" but I'm just assuming it was random chance that there was a spate of mangy coyote sightings in the US (and possibly some animal mutilations) soon after the chupacabra thing went viral online and people just rolled them up together.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Like a lot of these legends, chupucabra can now look like almost anything, their description having mutated. The picture in Wikipedia looks like a bipedal lizard from a 50s movie, while others have described it as a dog or alien. Charitably, if we were dealing with a real thing, people would make mistakes and misreport or try and make sense of it as like something.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Talking about these channels, i found out the Wyoming Incident never happened, it is an ARG but people report the video aspect as something that happened along with the Ashtar hijack or the Max headroom incident.

I suspect this happens a lot. A lot of paranormal or Fortran tales seem to get picked up, put into print or on the web, where the next author or blogger picks them up without looking at primary sources, and repeat. People "research" mainly by reading other dubious researchers. There's a bunch of classic mysterious events that don't seem to have happened at all: e.g. the disappearance of David Lang http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/the_disappearance_of_david_lang/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nonathlon posted:

I suspect this happens a lot. A lot of paranormal or Fortran tales seem to get picked up

watch out for the chupacobol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

watch out for the chupacobol

:golfclap:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nonathlon posted:

Like a lot of these legends, chupucabra can now look like almost anything, their description having mutated. The picture in Wikipedia looks like a bipedal lizard from a 50s movie, while others have described it as a dog or alien. Charitably, if we were dealing with a real thing, people would make mistakes and misreport or try and make sense of it as like something.

An excellent real world example is the Indonesian bondegezou which I posted about earlier, which most cryptozoology sources assumed was a tiny bigfoot-like hominid

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One recent one is the Indonesian bondegezou which cryptozoology sites used to list as a tiny 3' tall bigfoot-like creature with patchy black and white fur and was always included in lists of "Bigfoot creatures from other countries" alongside the yeti and the orang-pendek and the yeren and all the rest but in the mid 90s a scientist actually got hold of one and discovered it was a tree kangaroo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nonathlon posted:

I suspect this happens a lot. A lot of paranormal or Fortran tales seem to get picked up, put into print or on the web, where the next author or blogger picks them up without looking at primary sources, and repeat. People "research" mainly by reading other dubious researchers. There's a bunch of classic mysterious events that don't seem to have happened at all: e.g. the disappearance of David Lang http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/the_disappearance_of_david_lang/

Yea when you look into a lot of evidence it tends to come from less than reputable sources. Like the GIANT SKELETONS FOUND! stuff cites articles from newspapers in the 19th century claiming that giant skeletons were found in the US, but no photos or samples, and those articles refer to scientists from institutions that have never existed.

Another popular thing is to just leave out important information. Like Elisa Lam, who the mystery suggests she was normal and something supernatural happened to her, or maybe she was murdered. No, she actually had a bunch of mental problems and while she was fine when taking her medication she had a history of not taking her medication so her bizarre behavior is explainable. Not to mention the whole "the water tank was closed" thing was from someone who misspoke once, when all the actual reports, that were available to anyone who wanted to look at them saying that it was open when she was found. Though of course people took this as a conspiracy because of course they did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elisa Lam is a great illustration of that phenomenon because it wasn't just "the tank was closed" but people repeating there was no way to access the roof or get up above the tank to fall in so someonemust have put here there. Of course someone eventually made a video of them getting on the roof and being above the tanks. I think the first time I came across a story becoming "truer" based on repetition was the Philadelphia experiment. As I "grew out" of believing in this sort of thing I was fascinated by the history of how these stories flourished based on usually incredibly flimsy original premises (for instance the Philadelphia experiment originates from two supposed letters sent to a UFO crank).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really like it when people use obvious jokes from newpapers back in the 1800's to prove their points. Everyone seems to think humor wasn't invented until like 1955, so every news article before then was 100% accurate and true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Groovelord Neato posted:

Elisa Lam is a great illustration of that phenomenon because it wasn't just "the tank was closed" but people repeating there was no way to access the roof or get up above the tank to fall in so someonemust have put here there. Of course someone eventually made a video of them getting on the roof and being above the tanks. I think the first time I came across a story becoming "truer" based on repetition was the Philadelphia experiment. As I "grew out" of believing in this sort of thing I was fascinated by the history of how these stories flourished based on usually incredibly flimsy original premises (for instance the Philadelphia experiment originates from two supposed letters sent to a UFO crank).

According to the Netflix doc the hotel claimed there was no way to get onto the roof but clearly either they were unaware that yes you could get onto the roof without a key or they were just trying to cover their rear end. That doc is pretty good, it gets pretty indepth with the online community that evolved around the case and how many formed a parasocial with Lam, with one saying "it was like a lost a sister" when they found her body. This also complicated the case because amature internet sluthes would pour through every bit of information that was tentatively connected to the case and send the LAPD anything they found. Oh this guy who lived i the hotel 5 years ago was in prison for rape in 1967! He must have done it! Oops, turned out the reason he didn't live in the hotel anymore was he died 5 years ago. A tragic case was twisted into this bizarre narrative because everything has to be a big mystery and conspiracy for way to many people these days. The funny thing is those same people are also incredibly incurious about reality.

I always wondered about the Philidelphia Experiment, if the movie came out first and people thought it was real.

A lot of Bermuda Triangle stories are like that too. Like the airplanes that vanished, they talk about how the flight leader said that they were over one location but were probably over another, that the instruments were all messed up, which means the portal that opens to the warp was screwing up the compasses. Or maybe because the flight leader was used to flying in the gulf and not over the Atlantic coast of florida so he thought he should see florida to the east when it was the west, so he ended up flying his squadron out over the atlantic where they probably ran out of fuel was crashed into the ocean. That Lemmino video about the Bermuda Triangle is really interesting for that kind of into.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really like it when people use obvious jokes from newpapers back in the 1800's to prove their points. Everyone seems to think humor wasn't invented until like 1955, so every news article before then was 100% accurate and true.

Yea, imagination was invented in the 1920s or something to them. I have seen people cite the fake Zoo Animals Escape story as an actual historical event. Going back to Ancient Aliens, they seem to assume that all ancient myths are 100% true, just that the people thousands of years ago couldn't speak clearly, even though we have clay tablets of people complaining that the grain they were sold was moldy. No one could have made up stuff to explain why its cold sometimes and then hot other times, and why the river floods once a year.

One of my favorite "things that were hoaxes but people just accept it was true" of recent memory is the Stairs In the Woods thread on reddit. Someone took a very real thing, weird old stairs in the woods, and then wrote a spooky series of posts from the POV of a Search and Rescue officer. People took this as truth, and its been shared around unironically and its been presented as a actual mystery. Those stairs are there, I've been camping with scouts enough to have seen old stairs and foundations out in the woods but nothing more than old brick and concrete stairs, no mystery portals, no sudden deaths, no ones wiener vanished.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

One of my favorite "things that were hoaxes but people just accept it was true" of recent memory is the Stairs In the Woods thread on reddit. Someone took a very real thing, weird old stairs in the woods, and then wrote a spooky series of posts from the POV of a Search and Rescue officer. People took this as truth, and its been shared around unironically and its been presented as a actual mystery. Those stairs are there, I've been camping with scouts enough to have seen old stairs and foundations out in the woods but nothing more than old brick and concrete stairs, no mystery portals, no sudden deaths, no ones wiener vanished.

Part of why people buy into the stairs in the woods thing is also that it's posted on a reddit specifically for spooky fiction... that, as part of its board culture, pretends to treat everything like they're real stories.

So even if you find the original source, all of the comments are "That's so crazy! I saw stairs in the woods once and they felt creepy, I'm glad I didn't try climbing them!" and so on.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I always wondered about the Philidelphia Experiment, if the movie came out first and people thought it was real.

I think that there was a novel that the movie was based in part upon and then the wider legend started up. I have a dim memory of reading it, and being confused when people started saying it was a real story ...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

Log082 posted:

Part of why people buy into the stairs in the woods thing is also that it's posted on a reddit specifically for spooky fiction... that, as part of its board culture, pretends to treat everything like they're real stories.

So even if you find the original source, all of the comments are "That's so crazy! I saw stairs in the woods once and they felt creepy, I'm glad I didn't try climbing them!" and so on.

Yeah, it's an actual rule that comments keep with kayfabe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember in the Wild West days of the early internet when the X-files and alien conspiracy stuff was rife, I downloaded some supposed government documents concerning The Montauk Project, Area 51, MJ-12, and they featured the Philadelphia Experiment as a starting point from which many of the stories spun off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also I have no firm evidence to explain why the chupacabra urban legend evolved from "upright spiky reptilian alien vampires" to "coyotes with mange" but I'm just assuming it was random chance that there was a spate of mangy coyote sightings in the US (and possibly some animal mutilations) soon after the chupacabra thing went viral online and people just rolled them up together.
Somewhere early in the chupacabra mythos this got posted as a photo of a chupacabra despite looking more like a Boglin:

I always figured it helped serve as as halfway point between the vaguely humanoid original chupacabra and the mangy dogs that usually get associated with it now. If you accept this as the "true" look of the creature I can see how you could justify to yourself how the original witness misinterpreted a quick view of this as the grey-alien-with-spikes thing as they have a few features in common (big almond-shaped eyes, flat nose, three-fingered hands), but also find commonalities with a decaying dog corpse.