Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

silentsnack posted:

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have left it up to the reader to infer that post was meant to illustrate why it would be pointless to avoid mods due to concerns about whether a quality-of-life mod breaks game balance: the game is already such an unbalanced wonky mess that even when trying to stay within the rules in a 100% vanilla playthrough you might find yourself accidentally using exploits if you encounter an unexpected quirky game mechanic and don't immediately stop to investigate.

I mean whatever's fun, just there's a genre of game commentary that is all about carefully performing these convoluted exploit procedures and making GBS threads on mods that accomplish the same effect without the rigmarole, and there's an audience for it too :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Where can I buy 1) a roomy building, near 2) plentiful leather and 3) a shop that sells research books ?

THere's the grey desert waystation but leather doesn't spawn much there. Any other good spots?

I can't remember if it's Catun or Mourn but there's always Beak Things fighting guards at the entrances. All the leather you can peel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Probably mourn, there's some big buildings there too. Touch dangerous to get to early

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean if you're willing to do that kind of obviously exploitive poo poo just use a mod, nobody's going to make fun of you.

i will

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Both Catun and Mourn are always getting plowed by Beak Things actually. Mourn's guards tend to get wiped out pretty quick, there's a mod that makes the town a little more robust but they still get owned eventually. Mourn gets constant waves of Beak Things, giant bone wolves and skin spiders, it's a really fun town to try to make a base in. poo poo tons of iron to mine too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586835104

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do towns ever "Reset" ? If I abandon something I built, how long before it reverts? How long will stuff I drop stay there if I'm away?

Thing I've done as much as I can do in my little Kenshi townhouse and want to expand, but not sure whether or not I need to leave someone behind to keep the home fires warm while I scout new base locations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Do towns ever "Reset" ? If I abandon something I built, how long before it reverts? How long will stuff I drop stay there if I'm away?

Thing I've done as much as I can do in my little Kenshi townhouse and want to expand, but not sure whether or not I need to leave someone behind to keep the home fires warm while I scout new base locations.

You should be fine to leave your stuff where it is.

Inferring what you've been trying to do, I had a pretty fun game where I stayed in Squinn for a good while. You can get a fair amount of money early mining the iron and copper nearby, goats and wolves for leather and meat.

I bought one of those y shaped houses and started hiring Shek dudes for my team. You can buy t1 tech books and most of the farm inputs from the shops that restock daily. I researched everything that did not need t2 tech books before moving out. I was able to make a lot of money once I started making legendary bandanas for sale. Keeping an eye on the gates left more than enough leather to make good armor for my dudes.

I probably had 20 Shek dudes, kitted out in bought weapons and made leather armor. I had a few pack animals full of building supplies and food, and I set out to make my own super city. I wish I had saved prior to setting out.

I ended up heading to fishman island. After repelling the initial wave, and starting to get my city planned out, I was mobbed by hundreds of fishmen. They carried my dudes off and I think eventually ate them.

I haven't played the game since, I'm a little salty for messing up my saves on that run, but building up toward the expedition was incredibly fun. It's almost the opposite way of playing Kenshi, instead of letting yourself get ravaged by the wilds, a couple of friends grind out the early days until they can launch their own clothing brand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grevlek posted:

. . . . . until they can launch their own clothing brand.

Fuckin' lols, that's exactly what I've been doing, isn't it? hahah

But yeah the plan has been pretty straightforward. I started as Man and his Dog, ran around grabbing unique recruits, was focusing on training animal spawns onto guards to keep the dog fed, by coincidence stole a bunch of Trader's Backpacks from the vendor in Stack, racked up a lot of stacks of hides, started thinking "hey, I could set myself up with all this leather," set up in Kenshi, got to work mining and and refining. That's all gone well and now I have money and building supplies and ore out the wazoo, so I started making my team do wind sprints carrying each other up and down Squint just to fill the time and keep busy. Then some Dust Bandits tried to demand I pay them or they'd bust up my mining operation, and that went well so I don't have to worry about them any more, but it made me think, y'know, maybe I am gettin' too big for that little town

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

. Then some Dust Bandits tried to demand I pay them or they'd bust up my mining operation, and that went well.

I learned that Heavy weapons and security spiders are both good for taking out trash. A fragment axe at weapon expertise 75, the guy can take a swing and hit multiple enemies, and if they're low level enemies like dust bandits then there's going to be less bandits and more pieces of bandits.

Also the security spider mod might be slighty overpowered with their ability to blunt AoE enemies. I rolled over the bugmaster without knowing he was there with 4 security spiders.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

Also the security spider mod might be slighty overpowered with their ability to blunt AoE enemies.

this is why I use pack bulls lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bulls are close range siege artillery

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ok how do I

1) have bolts i craft get automatically put in a boltbox for storage, while also

2) allowing some characters to still carry bolts for their bows

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Man the kenshi wiki comments are embarrassing. I read the article for forbidden sympathy and some guy was bashing it basically saying "the holy nation isn't bad, look at how the other races act! Look at how women steal gold and cause problems!" when asked if he's a misogynist he said "To be honest, I admit that I have slight misogynist tendencies". You don't say?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ok how do I

1) have bolts i craft get automatically put in a boltbox for storage, while also

it's a massive nuisance tbh but you turn off 'dump goods' or whatever for your fighters and set the crafter(s) to have a job to haul to a bolt box. Managing a roaming squad is made easier by the fact that you don't actually have to stick food on each unit, you can have tons of food on a pack animal and they will just grab a bite from the animal's inventory when they get hungry. You do have to manually dump stacks of bolts and first aid stuff into each squaddie from time to time though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ok how do I

it's stupid but i don't think you can have both. you can have guards carry bolts by turning off jobs though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
yeah it looks like I need to have my bolt crafters not be my archers which, ehh, fuckit

Any convenient way to set up patrol routes, apart from just setting people to mine and then run back? Want people to get their exercise automatically.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The easiest Kenshi cardio is to tell them to grab a body and then use the world map to have thrm run a couple laps to the nearest city and back manually. Once you have like 20 everything more is gravy so they can just get a day job and get miniscule constant gains from just moving around.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

yeah it looks like I need to have my bolt crafters not be my archers which, ehh, fuckit

Any convenient way to set up patrol routes, apart from just setting people to mine and then run back? Want people to get their exercise automatically.

There's a mod for it, which if i recall was just a steam subscriber thing. I used that for both patrols and exercise.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

In Hub there was a magic copper node that broke pathfinding if you assigned it to someone inside the city walls.

That was my cardio machine, limit 2.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
any way to highlight corpses or automate looting of npc bodies?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nope

there's a mod someone made that lets you put a dumpster down and when set as a job will make whoever run around and loot animals though. I'll see if I can find it.

here it is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2447803600&searchtext=animal+dumpster

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Man the kenshi wiki comments are embarrassing. I read the article for forbidden sympathy and some guy was bashing it basically saying "the holy nation isn't bad, look at how the other races act! Look at how women steal gold and cause problems!" when asked if he's a misogynist he said "To be honest, I admit that I have slight misogynist tendencies". You don't say?

The community and official discords have a not-insignificant population of these types too. They poured in after a certain very popular YouTuber with a questionable audience covered the game. Satire is lost on these people.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am not afraid of the game that features the skin peeler. I am afraid of people who play the game in order to utilize the skin peeler while modding in dialog lines of "THIS IS MY poo poo"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

nope

there's a mod someone made that lets you put a dumpster down and when set as a job will make whoever run around and loot animals though. I'll see if I can find it.

here it is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2447803600&searchtext=animal+dumpster

"forage animals" will loot meat and leather etc and is vanilla behavior iirc but it won't loot humanoids.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

"forage animals" will loot meat and leather etc and is vanilla behavior iirc but it won't loot humanoids.

It . . . din't seem to be working right. Like they were grabbing some of the leather / meat but not all and some of it was just lying there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Are your guys overweight? I remember years ago there was some research into character encumbrance and the effects it potentially had on a lot of loot-based mechanics (like it's potentially the reason your crafters will only haul a certain amount of materials to the crafting bench) but I don't anything ever came out of it, and there's been so many patches and adjustments since that it may not matter anymore. But I would make sure they're not overburdened as a precaution. And make sure they have space; they'll pick up items but won't automatically sort their inventory so the grid can get wonky.

Sachant posted:

The community and official discords have a not-insignificant population of these types too. They poured in after a certain very popular YouTuber with a questionable audience covered the game. Satire is lost on these people.

I'm not claiming he's some kind of morally bad person or anything but this reminds of a dude in the modding channels who's extremely prolific, has done a bunch of research into how various game mechanics work, and is a complete dickhead if your mod even slightly deviates from his idea of what's proper game balance. He went on a dumb rear end rant about the No Cut Efficiency mod suite, calling the author an idiot and a liar and everyone who subscribed to the mod sheep lol. Just refusing to even engage with the idea that it may be worth it to some people to make the game "easier" in exchange for fixing (or bypassing, at least) a strange and poorly implemented armor mechanic

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It . . . din't seem to be working right. Like they were grabbing some of the leather / meat but not all and some of it was just lying there.

they need a place to dump everything to, also; and the "haul to" job linked to a container works for that, but only for a specific container. it would be nice if more games would just use Fallout 4 style "everything goes into a single giant shared container behind the scenes" method because fuuuuuuuuuuuck micro managing specific people dumping to specific containers etc. sucks.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm not claiming he's some kind of morally bad person or anything but this reminds of a dude in the modding channels who's extremely prolific, has done a bunch of research into how various game mechanics work, and is a complete dickhead if your mod even slightly deviates from his idea of what's proper game balance. He went on a dumb rear end rant about the No Cut Efficiency mod suite, calling the author an idiot and a liar and everyone who subscribed to the mod sheep lol. Just refusing to even engage with the idea that it may be worth it to some people to make the game "easier" in exchange for fixing (or bypassing, at least) a strange and poorly implemented armor mechanic

these kinds of gimmick youtuber/streamers suck rear end and no one should waste their time watching them, make them get a real job.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is the certain youtuber in question Ambiguous Amphibian, cuz I love that guy and the recent TorSquad arc brought light into my life and pulled me out of a mild depression.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

KirbyKhan posted:

Is the certain youtuber in question Ambiguous Amphibian, cuz I love that guy and the recent TorSquad arc brought light into my life and pulled me out of a mild depression.

I don’t think that’s the one he is referencing. “Hey hey”

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Are we not allowed to say the name of influencers

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Saul Kain posted:

I don’t think that’s the one he is referencing. “Hey hey”

Oh yeah, fuckin wild journey from the pitch perfect Farming Simulator MLG video to where he is today. He fuckin calls his patreons the Merchants Guild and I cannot be surprised.

What other flavors of Kenshi youtube are there? I've sampled some of Koko which was dreadfully boring.

Unironically AA is the best but it requires some cult sublimation sometimes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tabletops posted:

I mean... It is an uncomfortable thing because he is forums alumni.

Edit: I am a brown dude and I am subbed to him, because it is hella funny in a very bad way. I send some of the ~his~ vids to my black inlaws and tell them this is secret white nationalist entertainment. His explaination on Endless Space 2 is a pith helmet understanding of imperialism.

You cannot judge me in this thread where we discuss skin peelers.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 13, 2021

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The youtuber Who-Must-Not-Be-Named :spooky:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

timn posted:

The youtuber Who-Must-Not-Be-Named :spooky:

Lmao tried to spell it and my autocorrect just crashed on me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the only YouTube guy I ever watched play Kenshi is Tobel, it never seemed to be a wildly popular thing to upload

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's Sseth, isn't it?

Not a fan of his content myself, but I can't deny that he's popular.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

It's Sseth, isn't it?

Not a fan of his content myself, but I can't deny that he's popular.

Hey hey

Back on the topic tho: thinking about coming back to the game after a long break. Do you guys usually start up fresh with a different mod suite or do you usually load up that old save going "Why am I in the swamp running from bloodspiders this save is 30 hrs old I thought was past that poo poo"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can't imagine Ambiguous Amphibian ranting about anything, he's much too smooth and mellow and besides he has a highly successful schtick already

Tabletops posted:

Absolutely name and shame

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Unironically AA is the best but it requires some cult sublimation sometimes.

If someone is not able to appreciate AA's incredibly polished Youtube content I don't even know what to say, every aspect of his work is absolutely top notch technically. Great voice, great audio, great editing, really unique content that doesn't lean on usual Youtube tropes and memes. He's the best kind of artist and creator that Youtube has to offer, just aces in every category :swoon:

e: he manages to make Project Zomboid look fun and exciting

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 14, 2021