Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

Okay I just fought those two sweepers right after biking up to the plate. I mean, I killed them, eventually, after popping a couple of hi-potions. But god drat I'm taking huge hits and constant chips that deplete me hard.

Any survivability tips?

- Blocking fills your ATB bar, and reduces a ton of damage. It's good for repositioning yourself if you get surrounded, and then getting back on the attack again.

- There's a (pretty lenient) window around melee attacks where switching from Operator to Punisher stance causes a parry, the same parry you can do while just holding block in Punisher stance.

- I found it very, very difficult to shake myself out of "dodge out of everything" mentality, but there are no i-frames on the dodge, and it really should just be used escape areas BEFORE the damaging attack hits, not while or through. Like when you're fighting the Sweepers, and you can see they're about to do the flamethrower move. Dodge to get out of that area, or get behind them, before the fire gets to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

Is there any way to gear up Barrett and Aerith before the mecha fight just after Rufus.

I like this game, but kind of hate how this game is like "guess what materia you should have equipped next! No, we won't let you change it during a battle. Only change when we say."

Hold Square during the cutscene

Phobophilia posted:

Okay I just fought those two sweepers right after biking up to the plate. I mean, I killed them, eventually, after popping a couple of hi-potions. But god drat I'm taking huge hits and constant chips that deplete me hard.

Any survivability tips?

Don't let fights drag out too long. You have the option of slowly brute-forcing your way through every fight in the game but that's more of a design decision to let you eventually move past frustrating battles that aren't clicking for whatever reason.

Find out what triggers Pressured on an enemy (it will vary), trigger it, hit them with attacks whose names start with Focused to quickly boost their stagger gauge (this only works while they're Pressured), then unload your heaviest burst damage attacks on the staggered enemy. For Sweepers you'd hit them with their elemental weakness to pressure them, hit them with Focused Strike, then follow up the stagger with either Braver or more lightning.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Essentially, it's an RPG first and an action game second.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

looks like they dumped some intergrade info today

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Weiss got his battle jammies on.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Move over Clives and Daves, there's a new best mundane Final Fantasy character name in town and it's Billy Bob

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Dumped indeed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nomura stop raping my childhood

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay let's get into this then because I am mad about videogames on the internet.

1. So let's immediately address something. Games always have to weigh immersion against what is fun gameplay. FFVII could be super immersive by giving me a one to one buster sword to swing about but the chances are I would die within the first 5 minutes of playing the game from exhaustion. We concede therefore that maybe pressing buttons will be a better idea than me accidentally decapitating my parents.

So this case is about how we weigh looking for items against immersion. Of note, the review itself concedes that when Final Fantasy tried to not have trinkets strewn about, in the case of XIII and XV, people didn't like those games. Of note as well, the pure action games he calls for VII:R to resemble also do this. Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, all of these games have trinkets strewn about their levels and encourage the player to go off course to find them. So perhaps he's calling on VII:R to resemble a sidescrolling beat'em up like Final Fight with his reference to "Arcade" VII:R. But even then a game like that still has trinkets and hidden powerups through its levels, albeit in abridged form, through optional interactibles.

So why do games do this? I think most simply, trinkets encourage players to explore the levels around them. They help the player, as they move through this dungeon, get a sense of scope, with dead ends or machinery that isn't necessarily plot central. It helps create the idea that this thing that you're in, isn't just a corridor for a videogame but an area where people might have worked or other activities might have been done. The very things he claims deny immersion are absolutely vital to creating and encouraging that sense of immersion in gaming.

Even if this weren't true, people still like trying to find things because searching for items and being rewarded for your curiosity and intelligence is something that a lot of people enjoy in videogames. So you could concede that it makes the game less immersive but conclude that it's worth it because players feel more engaged and rewarded by the game.

But further to that, the big claim is that by not running straight towards a boss and collecting a trinket you're not acting in the way that Cloud might. But again, this doesn't track. Yes, someone might immediately run into a burning building to save a child, but it would also be a completely reasonable choice for that same person to take a second or two to find a tool that would aid them in their endeavor. It is a completely reasonable and rational action for a character in a game, even when they're in a rush, to look for tools that might help them going forward, so even if you don't buy a single word of my explanation as to why trinkets are immersive, the argument still doesn't stand by the very logic it uses.

2. So I'll concede straight away that the menus in VII:R could be better if you had loadouts and some additional help on the UI. But again it's tremendously subjective to say that the entire thing is boring because the UI is difficult to parse. I actually think that this premise isn't really too central to the overall case, so we'll mark it as a point where we broadly agree.

3. The combat might be sufficiently good to support a game. It's really good and really fun. But the idea that the real game would just have everything available or set abilities on everyone belies what makes RPGs fun. Specifically that as you unlock new skills the strategies you have available evolve and expand based on what you find. Additionally because of this evolution the optimal strategy in chapter 1 might well not be the optimal strategy in chapter 10. You might have to learn how to do something completely different by that point.

It's interesting that he points to Bravely Default and Bravely Second here because those games are the absolute masters of this. Every new job you unlock allows you to significantly change the way that you play the game. If you still have the same strategy 80 hours in as you did 40 hours in, you're flat just not going to succeed.

The very best RPGs create game systems where you have to learn and change alongside your characters in order to be able to overcome the next task in front of you, to have them start with set movesets removes that link and additionally the feeling that you're getting more powerful with time at all. I pointed out that it would suck to get the Arise materia and then be unable to use it because of MP, but I equally claim it would suck to play a game for 40 hours and never see a change in your character's skillset or playstyle.

And this leads to the conclusion that games shouldn't have difficulty modes, that the best game wouldn't ever need one, which I think most of the thread has rightly pointed out doesn't make sense as long as there are different people in the world.

I probably seem like a lunatic but there's just such a fundamental misunderstanding about what people enjoy about RPGs and I don't think it's fair to deny the legitimacy of that enjoyment in the way that this review does.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the fact that Tim spent over four hours of runtime (and god knows how much time researching, playing, writing, vidcapping, rewriting, recording, editing, etc in preparation of that 4+ hours) aggressively and confidently misconstruing a fairly blinkered set of personal preferences for a broadly agreeable set of objective best practices is... very strange, to me.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I didn't know there was a Tim Rogers haters crew, but here we are.

Dude does good work.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I actually really like him, have been into almost everything else he's done, and usually trust his reviews. That's why it's so weird to me that he spent so much effort to strike out so hard on his whole FF7R thing

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I legit did not know who he was until today.

I think I might have seen the opening to the VII review before?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean, I've enjoyed the guy's work in the past and he usually has good opinions (though not on this), but also 3.5 hours for a video game review is too much, my dude

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Can you elaborate? I don't know what the info is or where to find it and I'm curious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1381989393720745985

etc

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Billy Bob

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Interesting. Thank you.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
They did it. The sons of bitches actually did it. They went and made Aerith and Bob actually literal.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sapozhnik posted:

Hold Square during the cutscene

Thanks! I went back before the previous fight and set Materia there, but spotted the prompt this time. Regardless, kicked the mechs rear end first attempt this time without really using offensive magic at all.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Weiss' commitment to flat ironing his hair into a massive pineapple in tyool 2021 is quite the dedication to MySpace era scene kid aesthetics

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So Fort Condor is a videogame in the remake? Which implies that we might get to play it, but possibly won't see it as an actual location. That wouldn't surprise me, as Fort Condor required a lot of back and forth to fund the battles over the course of the game that wouldn't really mesh with more linear gameplay. Maybe we'll still get it in some form, who knows.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I always figured an in-universe phone game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I actually really like him, have been into almost everything else he's done, and usually trust his reviews. That's why it's so weird to me that he spent so much effort to strike out so hard on his whole FF7R thing

This is where I am on that review. I generally really like his work (and the Tokimeki Memorial review was absolutely, 100% worth watching and the only 6-hour video I could ever imagine saying that about) but sometimes I find his takes on games a little baffling. Then again he's not someone I necessarily need to agree with to enjoy his videos, so I'm not too upset about it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Arkage posted:

I didn't know there was a Tim Rogers haters crew, but here we are.

Dude does good work.

Disagreeing with a take doesn't make someone a hater

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

6 hours of video is 5.5 hours too loving much. holy poo poo how is that a worthy use of your time?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no loving Idea. Like just form your own opinion on things. Or don't, life's too short to waste on that nonsense

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How do you even make a 4 hour long video on anything to begin with!

That's longer than a full playthrough of FF7!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

I've seen people share this in a "what the gently caress are they doing to FF7!!" way, but the funny thing is this was done to FF7 15 years ago

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looks great. I'm guessing he liked the fashion sense in Wutai or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I have no loving Idea. Like just form your own opinion on things. Or don't, life's too short to waste on that nonsense

I mean, a review isn't supposed to be a replacement for forming one's own opinion on something. It can be worth reading/watching for its own sake, or because it's entertaining, or to see someone else's perspective, etc.

That said forming my own opinion on Tokimeki Memorial would require me to learn Japanese and I assure you that is a significantly larger time commitment than watching 6 hours worth of entertaining pseudo-Let's Play video in half hour chunks over several days :v:

TK-42-1 posted:

6 hours of video is 5.5 hours too loving much. holy poo poo how is that a worthy use of your time?

The same way watching 6 hours of an entertaining TV show is? I dunno. I wouldn't advocate watching it all in one sitting or even in one day but to be fair to Tim Rogers, neither does he.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I never played any of the Compilation games so I didn't realize Weiss had a gunblade

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He looks like an Attack on Titan character

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Listen, sometimes you just need a glowing stripe on your comfy battle pants

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Battle pajamas with a reflective safety strip, and a gunblade I made myself out of parts I found in the trash.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That guy looks like he is his own Sonic oc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tfw the cloning program is short on jenova cells so you bust out the raccoon dna

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well, he's got white hair and he wears a lot of white... what if we name him "White"?

No... that's too obvious. Better fire up google translate.

Ah, Nomura, you've done it again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont watch Tim Rogers must Hard Mode is only good because you've spent time mastering the combat and learning good materia combos on Normal mode.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont watch Tim Rogers must Hard Mode is only good because you've spent time mastering the combat and learning good materia combos on Normal mode.

My materia combos were radically different in hard mode. At least for bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still haven't played hard mode but I'm considering doing it when the PS5 upgrade comes out. I find it weirdly intimidating to try to play through without using items. It's probably something I can handle but I am apparently a big baby who needs to know I have my ethers :v:

But if I'm gonna play through again I might as well do hard mode, right?