Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
What are Canada's growing NSS cost overruns even attributed to? Labor? Materials? Engineering? I thought these things had already been designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrYenko posted:

So, if I did my math right, Canada could buy FORTY brand new Arleigh Burkes for what they’re planning on spending for fifteen ships-on-paper-only.

I mean, I understand that requirements are different, and the Burkes probably cost more to run than they want, but holy gently caress how do you gently caress up a program that bad? Are the contractors just opening a bank account and pouring cement trucks full of CAD$ into it?

Buying 40 Burkes introduces a whole other problem of recruiting that many sailors! (I know, just don't buy as many and save $$ :sigh:)

I was annoyed that Canada didn't get in on the Mistrals that were built for Russia, I thought they'd be good flagships for various humanitarian/disaster relief support as well as being capable air platforms to fly helicop-oh, poo poo yeah lol nevermind. :sigh: (The Cyclones seem to not be a complete disaster now that they are being delivered, at least).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For my entire adult life I don't think I've heard of a single good ending to Canada's procurement.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I still feel like Canada turning over their procurement dollars over to the DoD along with a list of their requirements would result in a lot of positives for Canada. There would be a massive cost savings for Canada, it would eliminate a political football, result in stuff being delivered in a reasonable period, and probably not catch fire on their way to Canada. I mean even with extremely healthy profit margins, Canada would still come out ahead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

For my entire adult life I don't think I've heard of a single good ending to Canada's procurement.

There's very little positive upside, it's either well that went pretty much as expected or god drat this shat the bed extra hard and it's still going, there is literally no end to it!

One that "just worked" were the mad scramble to procure Leopard 2s for afghanistan (driven by a failure of planning, of course but thankfully the dutch and germans had some tanks they were motivated to sell)

Also the recent selection of the new rifle for the Rangers went alright but realistically if they can't select and purchase a bunch of bolt action rifles I don't know what the gently caress

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The arrow

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stravag posted:

The arrow

:mad:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Didn't some of the Avro engineers gently caress off to the US space program, and the LM project in particular? Having a hand in putting people on the moon is an ok consolation prize imo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phy posted:

Didn't some of the Avro engineers gently caress off to the US space program, and the LM project in particular? Having a hand in putting people on the moon is an ok consolation prize imo

But it isn't the Maple Leaf on the moon though!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

There's very little positive upside, it's either well that went pretty much as expected or god drat this shat the bed extra hard and it's still going, there is literally no end to it!

One that "just worked" were the mad scramble to procure Leopard 2s for afghanistan (driven by a failure of planning, of course but thankfully the dutch and germans had some tanks they were motivated to sell)

Also the recent selection of the new rifle for the Rangers went alright but realistically if they can't select and purchase a bunch of bolt action rifles I don't know what the gently caress

As we've observed here before, the only time procurement goes correctly in Canada is when it bypasses the procurement apparatus and the government writes a check

C-17 being another successful example

Somebody please re-post that OSS document on institutional sabotage, because I think somebody at some point replaced the first page of it with block letters "MILITARY PROCUREMENT FOR SMART PEOPLE"

Oh, and while thrashing around on the NSS, I discovered that when Irving got the contracts for the Halifax class, it bought out several small shipbuilders, hoping to go international with their naval shipbuilding---

Only to have these dreams crushed when the program ended and no new work was forthcoming

So this is the second time Irving has tried this. Question, is their ambition to be a shipyard bidding on international naval contracts a grift, or does somebody think they can actually be competitive and can they explain how

MrYenko posted:

So, if I did my math right, Canada could buy FORTY brand new Arleigh Burkes for what they’re planning on spending for fifteen ships-on-paper-only.

I mean, I understand that requirements are different, and the Burkes probably cost more to run than they want, but holy gently caress how do you gently caress up a program that bad? Are the contractors just opening a bank account and pouring cement trucks full of CAD$ into it?

lol

Where did you get the price, and are there yards out there that in could theory build some ABs?

asking for a friend

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 14, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I swear to god they taught the baby boomers this in kindergarten.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

Aren't these the sabotage orders for occupied France?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

One thing I'll say for the Airborne Laser is that while it never was any good at its advertised purpose of shooting ballistic missiles, it was a great testbed for beam control, atmospheric optics, and all kinds of other technologies and phenomena. We got our money's worth, and those research dividends are still paying off today now that laser technology has improved to the point where high beam powers are more viable without carrying around tons of toxic chemistry for a few seconds of firing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was looking up some flights near me and stumbled upon this crazy list of military/government call signs.

Tag yourself: https://henney.com/chm/callsign.htm
On a first random look I’m taking PRIME BEEF

edit: what I looked up is that VIKNG and PACKER are indeed both used by the C-130s at MSP

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 14, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm AXE OPS

Maybe BEAVER OPS [BEAVER OPS CP for 7th Bomb Wing (B-1Bs), Dyess AFB TX]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The one that always gets me are the DOOM callsigns from the 2nd BW out of Barksdale.

Every so often one of their B-52H will show up on ADS-B and it's impossible to miss because it's got a custom icon.

The E-6Bs occasionally have fun or :stare: callsigns, and the E-4B has some funny/scary ones like ADIOS.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DOOM is just trying too hard though. All the regional ones (mostly ANG it seems) are fantastic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

But it isn't the Maple Leaf on the moon though!

we put the robot arm on the space shuttle though and then we were so proud we put the robot arm on the money

Raenir Salazar posted:

yes, it's the OSS Simple Sabotage manual. Here's the entire thing, which includes all kinds of cool tricks like dumping scrap metal into a steam pipe under maintenance so that it gets shot into the turbine when the boiler comes back online, or flushing a ball of string soaked in flour down the toilet to explode the plumbing system. It used to be hosted on the CIA's own website so it's definitely real.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/26184/page-images/26184-images.pdf

The section quoted above is "organizational sabotage" and yeah it's like a loving playbook for the worst people you've ever had to deal with at work

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 14, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

yes, it's the OSS Simple Sabotage manual. Here's the entire thing. It used to be hosted on the CIA's own website so it's definitely real.

I vaguely recall it was repurposed (mostly intact) as a CIA manual for anti-communist movements in Latin American countries during the Cold War.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

DOOM is just trying too hard though. All the regional ones (mostly ANG it seems) are fantastic.

We had a doom supporting us in Afghanistan a couple times. Fuckers never dropped tho. Even if they did, a GBU-38 does the same thing from a buff as it does from a viper

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain von Trapp posted:

One thing I'll say for the Airborne Laser is that while it never was any good at its advertised purpose of shooting ballistic missiles, it was a great testbed for beam control, atmospheric optics, and all kinds of other technologies and phenomena. We got our money's worth, and those research dividends are still paying off today now that laser technology has improved to the point where high beam powers are more viable without carrying around tons of toxic chemistry for a few seconds of firing.

It's a great example of "stupid" military spending paying off. Of course, there are far more examples of the opposite, but taking a second look is often worthwhile.

LibCrusher posted:

We had a doom supporting us in Afghanistan a couple times. Fuckers never dropped tho. Even if they did, a GBU-38 does the same thing from a buff as it does from a viper

Yeah but it doesn't have to be carried to a tanker every half hour.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

It's a great example of "stupid" military spending paying off. Of course, there are far more examples of the opposite, but taking a second look is often worthwhile.

Yeah but it doesn't have to be carried to a tanker every half hour.

They yo-yo and all viper pilots sound the same so it doesn’t really affect anything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LibCrusher posted:

They yo-yo and all viper pilots sound the same so it doesn’t really affect anything

Maybe not from the ground side.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

we put the robot arm on the space shuttle though and then we were so proud we put the robot arm on the money

yes, it's the OSS Simple Sabotage manual. Here's the entire thing, which includes all kinds of cool tricks like dumping scrap metal into a steam pipe under maintenance so that it gets shot into the turbine when the boiler comes back online, or flushing a ball of string soaked in flour down the toilet to explode the plumbing system. It used to be hosted on the CIA's own website so it's definitely real.

The section quoted above is "organizational sabotage" and yeah it's like a loving playbook for the worst people you've ever had to deal with at work

When I first saw this document I thought it was a brilliant double play. Accidentally leak it to the enemy and watch them tie themselves in knots chasing all the "spies" in their organization.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/marinahyde/status/1382265673246777344?s=21

Somehow every time I learn something about the UK, it grows more foreign to me.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

shame on an IGA posted:

It's like my previous job's HR manual.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:blessed:

ZEPEL RC-135 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, NE
ZEPPELIN 56 Warning Group - Mt Yoza Okinawa

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/marinahyde/status/1382265673246777344?s=21

Somehow every time I learn something about the UK, it grows more foreign to me.

Should be wing commander - lolita express

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I was looking up some flights near me and stumbled upon this crazy list of military/government call signs.

Tag yourself: https://henney.com/chm/callsign.htm
On a first random look I’m taking PRIME BEEF

edit: what I looked up is that VIKNG and PACKER are indeed both used by the C-130s at MSP

Which one of you is GOONY?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/senhydesmith/status/1382394344867512321?s=21

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Must have been a real bon mot for it no longer exists.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Must have been a real bon mot for it no longer exists.

Weirdly cached in the awful app:

Happy 73rd Birthday to the @USAFReserve! Thankful for all the reservists who are constantly on the ready to serve our nation. #FlyFlightWin pic.twitter.com/eU4juEcOWY

— U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (@SenHydeSmith) April 14, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

priznat posted:

Weirdly cached in the awful app:

Happy 73rd Birthday to the @USAFReserve! Thankful for all the reservists who are constantly on the ready to serve our nation. #FlyFlightWin pic.twitter.com/eU4juEcOWY

— U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (@SenHydeSmith) April 14, 2021

let me guess, somebody posted rah-rah USA text alongside a pic of some sexy Russian planes?

e: or was it Navy hardware?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

let me guess, somebody posted rah-rah USA text alongside a pic of some sexy Russian planes?

e: or was it Navy hardware?

Yeah it was a "Happy Birthday to the USAF Reserve!" post but the airplane silhouettes in the background were Su-34s.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it was a "Happy Birthday to the USAF Reserve!" post but the airplane silhouettes in the background were Su-34s.

That's a common screwup for not-military media people/non-spergs, even for those in fields that should know better.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ArmyGroup303 posted:

That's a common screwup for not-military media people/non-spergs, even for those in fields that should know better.

A Senator from Mississippi? I'm impressed she managed to spell USAF.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They're just reminding us who the real enemy are!

Photoshop designers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What annoys me most about these stupidity posts is that all these services have PAO kits with all the graphics needed.

Posts like this exemplify the laziness of public officials. If there were competence, this wouldn't happen. If there were a bare minimum of effort, this wouldn't happen. These people want to seem to support something, but just don't actually care, at all.