Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Erg posted:

give us the human version of the warthog

he's a real comedian so look him up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
When reading scanlations originally of MHA, I liked the translator putting in translation notes, but also like, their thought process for why they made the choices they did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

When reading scanlations originally of MHA, I liked the translator putting in translation notes, but also like, their thought process for why they made the choices they did.

The current translator for Shonen Jump used to do a trivia rundown of each chapter on Twitter, giving observations and sometimes looks into their decisions and process, but he hasn't done one in a bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because the fans were awful and chased him off

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My Hemorrhoided rear end in a top hat.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an unfortunate Quirk to have, but I'm sure you can make it work buddy 🙂

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

odd taxi
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964898

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

GorfZaplen posted:

My Hemorrhoided rear end in a top hat.

His name is Mineta, have some respect.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

One of the things I liked about the Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san manga was that they had 2 pages of translation notes at the end of the volumes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Thoom posted:

mineta doesn't deserve respect

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thoom posted:

He deserves none.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Raposa posted:

Vis a vis To Your Eternity episode 1: im not crying your crying

poo poo I knew it was coming but it still hit me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thank you :)

quote:

:siren:Odd Taxi
OLM ; P.I.C.S. | Baku Kinoshita | Kazuya Konomoto | Mystery | Original | Apr 6, 2021
In a city which should be familiar, there is the feeling of something a little different. Kotokawa is a taxi driver who lives an ordinary life, taxing some quirky customers around. A slightly eccentric stranger who has no relatives nor any relations with other people, Kotokawa's hobby is to listen to Rakugo on the radio before going to bed. For the time being, the only people he can consider as friends are his family doctor Gouriki, and his high school classmate Kakihana. Kabasawa, a college student who wants a buzz, Shirakawa, a nurse who's hiding something, comedian group Homo Sapiens, who isn't selling well, the city hoodlum Dobu, and the rookie idol group Mystery Kiss—the conversations with these people, which should not have meant much, lead to a girl who disappeared.
PV
Thread

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Saint's Magic Power just decided to get rid of the one vaguely distinctive feature of the main character's design.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Brutal Garcon posted:

Saint's Magic Power just decided to get rid of the one vaguely distinctive feature of the main character's design.

Its been a while, can you remind me?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

:crossarms:

They did the spiderman thing, where having powers fixed her eyesight.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not her glasses! But glasses girls are cuter!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

A glasses girl is always a glasses girl!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

That's what I meant, I just didn't want to say it

I think the Glasses Girl (in the sense that it was used in, like, 2005) is largely a depreciated category by now. It's probably Hanekawa's fault.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Kwyndig posted:

Glasses are really versatile. First, you can have glasses-wearing girls take them off and suddenly become beautiful, or have girls wearing glasses flashing those cute grins, or have girls stealing the protagonist's glasses and putting them on like, "Haha, got your glasses!" That's just way too cute! Also, boys with glasses! I really like when their glasses have that suspicious looking gleam, and it's amazing how it can look really cool or just be a joke. I really like how it can fulfill all those abstract needs. Being able to switch up the styles and colors of glasses based on your mood is a lot of fun too! It's actually so much fun! You have those half rim glasses, or the thick frame glasses, everything! It's like you're enjoying all these kinds of glasses at a buffet. I really want Luna to try some on or Marine to try some on to replace her eyepatch. We really need glasses to become a thing in hololive and start selling them for HoloComi. Don't. You. Think. We. Really. Need. To. Officially. Give. Everyone. Glasses?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The second episode of dynazenon showed that the protag wears glasses at home and he looks way better that way than in his default design imo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Shinji Ikari certainly thinks so.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Electric Phantasm posted:

The biggest indicator that everyone in Oddtaxi is human is that they name drop Starbucks and it's not some form of animal pun like Starbarks or something.

tbf with a logo change starbucks is already an animal pun

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are Mars Red and Joran still holding up 2-3 episodes in?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You could just watch another episode each and see if it's still going good from the premier.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm still enjoying JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD, but it's more convoluted than ever. Bunch of things I wasn't sure I understood:

• Were Asahi's (the fake younger sister's) parents supposed to be abusive somehow, or was that just something my subconscious made up so I would feel less bad about Yuki killing them?
  • Is Makoto (the one with the sword) supposed to be a trans man, or was Makoto actually supposed to be female all along and I somehow didn't realize it, or was that just the camera angle making his boobs look big?
  • It did seem clear that Makoto was the actual traitor and framed the cleaner, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to know what their motivations for working for Janome were.
  • Where exactly is everyone supposed to be at the end? Apparently the old lady is actually Janome in disguise, and Janome and Makoto took Asahi to their secret lair, but I didn't follow where the secret lair was supposed to be in relation to the temple where Asahi was supposed to go, the old lady's house, Yuki's apartment, and Elena's brothel.

The reason I consider Joran a good show is that I genuinely want to know the answers to these questions and am asking them non-rhetorically, as opposed to a bad story where I don't care about the plot points that confuse me.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 14, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Hoo wow, I am glad I didn't pass on Pretty Boy Detective Club. This whole show is just a kaleidoscope of pretty things. I mean, I knew the boys would be pretty, but so is everything else. All the art is pretty. The directing itself is pretty.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm still enjoying JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD, but it's more convoluted than ever. Bunch of things I wasn't sure I understood:

• Were Asahi's (the fake younger sister's) parents supposed to be abusive somehow, or was that just something my subconscious made up so I would feel less bad about Yuki killing them?
  • Is Makoto (the one with the sword) supposed to be a trans man, or was Makoto actually supposed to be female all along and I somehow didn't realize it, or was that just the camera angle making his boobs look big?
  • It did seem clear that Makoto was the actual traitor and framed the cleaner, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to know what their motivations for working for Janome were.
  • Where exactly is everyone supposed to be at the end? Apparently the old lady is actually Janome in disguise, and Janome and Makoto took Asahi to their secret lair, but I didn't follow where the secret lair was supposed to be in relation to the temple where Asahi was supposed to go, the old lady's house, Yuki's apartment, and Elena's brothel.

The reason I consider Joran a good show is that I genuinely want to know the answers to these questions and am asking them non-rhetorically, as opposed to a bad story where I don't care about the plot points that confuse me.

Incidentally, a look at what people on other sites are saying shows that I am not the only one who is confused about the first two bullet points, at least. Consensus seems to be that yes, Asahi's parents were about to rent her out to a pedophile. Ick..

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 14, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Asahi's parents were pimping her out, in addition to whatever else they did that ran afoul of Yoshinobu's regime (don't remember a specific reason since it doesn't seem as important as the former).

most of the other stuff this week i think is still up in the air. Makoto seems to be presenting male as part of Nue, while their scenes working for Janome they've got high heeled boots and a large brimmed hat that seem to be, at least in contrast, more feminine. I'm still sketchy on their actual allegiances so whether either of these is closer to their self-ID remains to be seen. There are some things that strike me as odd with the location stuff, like Asahi leaving blood traces at the bookstore but her sandal at the old lady's house, and then Janome having her in the hideout elsewhere (having it near that house would be too careless imo). The scene with Elena is also strange given her seeming lack of involvement with the Asahi plot.

Location discrepancies definitely feel like a quick and easy thing to resolve next week, so I'm hopeful for that. The episode was very roller coaster for me as it would subvert my expectations a bit and then play right back into them...so ultimately things left off where I was expecting after the graveyard scene, but in such a way that character allegiances have been muddled well enough. It definitely gives the show a feeling of exciting possibility even as it's doing pretty well-worn spy stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Asahi's parents were pimping her out, in addition to whatever else they did that ran afoul of Yoshinobu's regime (don't remember a specific reason since it doesn't seem as important as the former).

most of the other stuff this week i think is still up in the air. Makoto seems to be presenting male as part of Nue, while their scenes working for Janome they've got high heeled boots and a large brimmed hat that seem to be, at least in contrast, more feminine. I'm still sketchy on their actual allegiances so whether either of these is closer to their self-ID remains to be seen. There are some things that strike me as odd with the location stuff, like Asahi leaving blood traces at the bookstore but her sandal at the old lady's house, and then Janome having her in the hideout elsewhere (having it near that house would be too careless imo). The scene with Elena is also strange given her seeming lack of involvement with the Asahi plot.

Location discrepancies definitely feel like a quick and easy thing to resolve next week, so I'm hopeful for that. The episode was very roller coaster for me as it would subvert my expectations a bit and then play right back into them...so ultimately things left off where I was expecting after the graveyard scene, but in such a way that character allegiances have been muddled well enough. It definitely gives the show a feeling of exciting possibility even as it's doing pretty well-worn spy stuff.

Thanks. It's good to know that other people are a bit confused too and I'm not just being an idiot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maxwell Adams posted:

Hoo wow, I am glad I didn't pass on Pretty Boy Detective Club. This whole show is just a kaleidoscope of pretty things. I mean, I knew the boys would be pretty, but so is everything else. All the art is pretty. The directing itself is pretty.

:yeah:

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
First episode of pretty boys detective club: what on earth did I just watch....

That was so wildly stylish and over the top and I'm not even sure how to describe it. Super wild swinging between almost static visual novel scenes into these sparking and phenomenal scenes. I'm very intrigued.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Maxwell Adams posted:

Vahtooch posted:

First episode of pretty boys detective club: what on earth did I just watch....

That was so wildly stylish and over the top and I'm not even sure how to describe it. Super wild swinging between almost static visual novel scenes into these sparking and phenomenal scenes. I'm very intrigued.

The series is being made by studio SHAFT, including a lot of the same staff that worked on previous visually-stunning series like 3-gatsu no Lion, the Monogatari series, Madoka Magica, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Arakawa Under the Bridge, and Hidamari Sketch. Check those out if you enjoy the art and directing style, especially 3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes in like a Lion).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shaft will die for betraying the cute girl faction to cross over to the boylovers

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Davincie posted:

shaft will die for betraying the cute girl faction to cross over to the boylovers
:sushiyes:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

A noble sacrifice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

A noble sacrifice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gently caress and yesssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Holy bajibbles that's gorgeous! Picked up!