Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Binging through The Sinner on Netflix and am really enjoying it. Detective Ambrose is great. My friend used to play that Big Black Delta song all the time and I'm never going to hear it again without remembering Cora suddenly stabbing the gently caress out of that dude on the beach to it, hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Prairie Bus posted:

The second season is a lot more intense. I watched it during the height of lockdown and had to stop because I was getting actual anxiety. Still an incredibly funny show.

(Search Party) They definitely escalate the tension every season. Season four is... something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Prairie Bus posted:

The second season is a lot more intense. I watched it during the height of lockdown and had to stop because I was getting actual anxiety. Still an incredibly funny show.

Yeah we're going through 6-8 episodes a day so we're most of the way through season 2 already and it's tense as hell.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Inspector 34 posted:

Where do you watch Bajillion Dollar Properties now that Seeso is gone? I think I heard there was a channel for it on Pluto or something but haven't seen it anywhere else.

Yes. Pluto.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

So, Super Store is pretty damned funny. Don't know how funny it would be to someone that didn't work almost a decade in retail, but it's been a pleasant surprise!

I thought Superstore was great. And it stays strong throughout the entire run. If anything....I'd say that the writing gets stronger as it goes.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Since I feel like I've watched every show that interests me in the COVID era, I decided to binge all of Mayans on FX and am caught up with latest episodes currently airing. I wasn't expecting much since I didn't really care for SOA, especially the laters seasons that almost become unwatchable. This show, while far from perfect, is much, much better than SOA. Is Kurt Sutter's involvement in this a lot less or something? The show just feels a lot more focused than SOA ever was and there hasn't been any man rape in 2.5 seasons so far.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I thought Superstore was great. And it stays strong throughout the entire run. If anything....I'd say that the writing gets stronger as it goes.

You think so? I thought it got kind of bad after season 2 and I didn't make it to the end of season 3. The characters seemed to get less realistic and more outlandish, which I didn't like. Does it get better again?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

You think so? I thought it got kind of bad after season 2 and I didn't make it to the end of season 3. The characters seemed to get less realistic and more outlandish, which I didn't like. Does it get better again?

That trend does not decline, no.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, it's seeming like after the tornado episode everything is getting really really silly. I'm about halfway into season three now.

Still think it's funny, but in a different way than when it started.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Do people watching For All Mankind think the writers know that the Americans are the bad guys?

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I rewatched United States of Tara for the third time recently. So loving good. Toni Collette is obviously an icon, but Rosemarie DeWitt does extraordinary things with Charmaine. She's an annoying character, but her moments of humanity are so genuine that I can't not love her.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

emo-ignorance posted:

I rewatched United States of Tara for the third time recently. So loving good. Toni Collette is obviously an icon, but Rosemarie DeWitt does extraordinary things with Charmaine. She's an annoying character, but her moments of humanity are so genuine that I can't not love her.

I also recently rewatched this for the third time. It's very good, it always felt like it could become great. The ending is pretty solid but it definitely could have had another season. Toni is so awesome as all the different characters. I might watch Unbelievable for the third time for some more Toni, that's one of the best and most realistic cop show/miniseries if you want something really sad and really good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Currently going through Deadwood and I was not prepared for how loving funny this show is. I'm getting The Wire vibes with how they use humour in it but moreso. Just brilliant. And every actor crushes their role perfectly. I adore the doctor, Swearengen and Jane.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

MightyJoe36 posted:

Binge watching Kingdom on Netflix. Almost done with Season 2. It's about as bleak and depressing as Bloodline.

The MMA show? I ended up just skipping past everyone's scenes but Jonathan Tucker's after a while, he knocks it out of the park.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Do people watching For All Mankind think the writers know that the Americans are the bad guys?

I think so.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

mcmagic posted:

I just started watching this show, and yeah it definitely comes off that way.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DorianGravy posted:

I guess I watched season 2 and 3 a while back....but yeah....I think the later seasons were definitely strong. One of the things that I was really impressed with is how they reeled back the characters from being too onenote or being too exaggerated or caricatures.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just finished binging Mad Men after recently binging The Expanse, and goddamn does Jared Harris have some serious range as an actor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Just finished binging Mad Men after recently binging The Expanse, and goddamn does Jared Harris have some serious range as an actor.

Do The Terror next.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

withak posted:

Do Season One of The Terror next.

ahem

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jared Harris plays a completely different character with a wild cockney accent in a movie called "How To Kill Your Neighbor's Dog" with Kenneth Branagh. It's actually free on Youtube right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzuvvzEC8Fg

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

DuhSal posted:

Currently going through Deadwood and I was not prepared for how loving funny this show is. I'm getting The Wire vibes with how they use humour in it but moreso. Just brilliant. And every actor crushes their role perfectly. I adore the doctor, Swearengen and Jane.

I've watched the first season and a half three or four times now, and never got passed about two thirds of the way through Season 2. I think a lot of that is because it loses it's humour and becomes very serious. Watching the first episode with my parents after I watched an episode midway through season 2 just shows how loving funny the opening episode is, and it doesn't keep that up (although I don't know about Season 3.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mrenda posted:

I've watched the first season and a half three or four times now, and never got passed about two thirds of the way through Season 2. I think a lot of that is because it loses it's humour and becomes very serious. Watching the first episode with my parents after I watched an episode midway through season 2 just shows how loving funny the opening episode is, and it doesn't keep that up (although I don't know about Season 3.)

That's a deliberate function of what the second season's doing; the second season finale is genuinely one of the most joyous hours of television ever created.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never finished Sons of Anarchy (tapped out right around the time they drown some dude in a bathtub of piss) but The Mayans is pretty good so far. I like to imagine Edward James Olmos's character is (BSG spoilers just in case) is an immortal Adama who's just been chilling out in central CA for the past 2 thousand years after finding Earth

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

withak posted:

Do The Terror next.

This. Harris is fantastic in it. Had high hopes considering the book was very good. Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors. Still holding out hope for a Hyperion series.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
In the series finale of Shameless they had Ian be an annoying resistance lib. Silly show that should've ended when Emmy Rossum left.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RestingB1tchFace posted:

This. Harris is fantastic in it. Had high hopes considering the book was very good. Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors. Still holding out hope for a Hyperion series.

I use to love Dan Simmons until his own Islamophobia and fear of Obama completely broke him.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

nate fisher posted:

I use to love Dan Simmons until his own Islamophobia and fear of Obama completely broke him.

Well then it's good that he has a backlog of books.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Been watching Timeless. I'm so confused how this show wound up with enough of a following to save it from cancellation twice.

Maybe I'm just spoiled on time travel shows after a 1-2 punch of Legends of Tomorrow (a lot more fun) and 12 Monkeys (more interesting).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mcmagic posted:

In the series finale of Shameless they had Ian be an annoying resistance lib. Silly show that should've ended when Emmy Rossum left.

I think it was for more than few years towards the end a "William H. Macy needs a job" the series.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I think it was for more than few years towards the end a "William H. Macy needs a job" the series.

I kinda was hoping that they would reference the college admissions stuff but they never did. lol

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I got tired of watching them be generally terrible....trashy people after just a few seasons. Didn't matter who left when.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I got tired of watching them be generally terrible....trashy people after just a few seasons. Didn't matter who left when.

Them being dirtbags was the charm of the show!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

mcmagic posted:

It ended for me when she left.

Spoiler this I guess, but does Frank die in the finale?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

isaboo posted:

It ended for me when she left.

Spoiler this I guess, but does Frank die in the finale?

from COVID lol

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Finally started Fringe over the last few days and I'm on the season 1 finale now, good stuff. Wish I had watched as it was airing but glad there's another few weeks worth of content to keep me occupied.

s2e1 oh hey, your highness!

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 13, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Please stick with it and post your thoughts and you progress. The series finale as one of my favorite TV payoffs I've ever watched and it for real made me tear up.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been kind of watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. over the past few days and it hasn't been too bad actually, although I generally like the various superhero stuff so my opinion may be a bit slanted that way. But I just treat the movie as something to just turn off my brain and enjoy some generally mindless action without trying to interpret anything.

The show has been pretty decent overall. Thankfully they generally focus on the action type stuff with the relationship stuff as a side piece, so that probably helps. I enjoyed the appearance of the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider in season 4 and I'm working through the space stuff in season 5.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just started Ted Lasso and it's pretty great! Good mix of sappiness and tongue in cheek humor. I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just started Ted Lasso and it's pretty great! Good mix of sappiness and tongue in cheek humor. I like it!

Make sure to make the appropriate snacks to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_yBqWHtWMo