Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

...good lord.

edit: At first I read this as there being a comic book version of this story. I was wondering what hosed up writer wrote this. Not sure if this is better or worse.

If it was, you already know which hosed up writer would be the one who wrote it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to read about that story cause that sounds insane but I also don't wanna get put on the no-fly list for searching for "effects of suicide bomb in rectum explosion."

It was discussed on QI. Series I (season 9) episode 9. It was actually an assassination attempt. I can't remember the names involved or find the clip. The episode is on Youtube, though.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Sounds like he had a bad case of explosive diarrhea

I always feel sorry for people who have to sort out dead bodies, but that sounds like an especially bad instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think that was a story Chris Morris talked about, the British satirist who did Four Lions. I remember him saying in an interview that there are real life attempted terrorist bombings that were so slapstick you couldn't get away with putting them in a film

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I think that was a story Chris Morris talked about, the British satirist who did Four Lions. I remember him saying in an interview that there are real life attempted terrorist bombings that were so slapstick you couldn't get away with putting them in a film

I can believe it. The most famous and significant assassination of the 20th century occured because the assassin stopped to get a sandwich.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Was that part of the comedy if errors that led to Franz Ferdinand being assassinated? I remember reading an abbreviated description of everything that went wrong and thinking 'how is this not already like six movies'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Was that part of the comedy if errors that led to Franz Ferdinand being assassinated? I remember reading an abbreviated description of everything that went wrong and thinking 'how is this not already like six movies'

Yeah, after the first couple of assassins failed (including one guy trying to commit suicide by swallowing expired arsenic and jumping into a 13 cm deep river) the convoy sped up, quite understandably. It went past Princep (the eventual assassin) really quickly. Princep, at this point, gave up and went to get a sandwich. He saw the Archduke go past the sandwich shop. They then stopped because part of the convoy had gone the wrong way and they were trying to correct it. It was very Coen bros. And on such things did the fate of empires turn.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, after the first couple of assassins failed (including one guy trying to commit suicide by swallowing expired arsenic and jumping into a 13 cm deep river) the convoy sped up, quite understandably. It went past Princep (the eventual assassin) really quickly. Princep, at this point, gave up and went to get a sandwich. He saw the Archduke go past the sandwich shop. They then stopped because part of the convoy had gone the wrong way and they were trying to correct it. It was very Coen bros. And on such things did the fate of empires turn.

The sandwich thing is most likely not true.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The sandwich thing is most likely not true.

don't take this away from me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowman_McK posted:

Uh, I didn’t say DEFINITELY so....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowman_McK posted:

It was probably a takeaway, yes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Thinking about that guy who tried to do a car suicide bombing at Glasgow Airport, crashed the car after it failed to detonate and was immediately kicked in the balls so hard by some football lad that he dislocated his foot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

If it was, you already know which hosed up writer would be the one who wrote it.

Yeah...yeah.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

multijoe posted:

Thinking about that guy who tried to do a car suicide bombing at Glasgow Airport, crashed the car after it failed to detonate and was immediately kicked in the balls so hard by some football lad that he dislocated his foot

"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST IN THE BALLS SO HARD I BROKE MY FOOT" remains one of the absolute best headlines.

Jedit posted:

It was probably a takeaway, yes.

I'm really proud of you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST IN THE BALLS SO HARD I BROKE MY FOOT" remains one of the absolute best headlines.

Did his steel balls melt?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Last night I learned about an extended cut of the 2005 Fantastic Four movie. It has a very brief cameo from Hugh Jackman. I can not believe they cut that and feel like keeping it in the theatrical version could potentially led to an earlier cinematic universe with Marvel characters existing. Does anyone know the story of why they cut that?

If anyone is wondering, the extended cut is 20 minutes longer. It slightly improves the movie but not enough for me to call it a good movie.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Spacebump posted:

Last night I learned about an extended cut of the 2005 Fantastic Four movie. It has a very brief cameo from Hugh Jackman. I can not believe they cut that and feel like keeping it in the theatrical version could potentially led to an earlier cinematic universe with Marvel characters existing. Does anyone know the story of why they cut that?

If anyone is wondering, the extended cut is 20 minutes longer. It slightly improves the movie but not enough for me to call it a good movie.

You mean how Mr. Fantastic transforms into Wolverine instead of a generic guy when talking to Sue about the kinda guy he thought she'd like? I wouldn't really call that a Hugh Jackman cameo...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Looking this up, I also learned that he was supposed to appear in the first Spider-Man movie and even showed up on set to film it, but they couldn't find the outfit. Which seems a bit of an odd mistake to make.

Also reminds me how in the first Iron Man, one of the alternate Nick Fury scenes considered would be him referencing Blade, Spider-Man, and the X-Men.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Klungar posted:

You mean how Mr. Fantastic transforms into Wolverine instead of a generic guy when talking to Sue about the kinda guy he thought she'd like? I wouldn't really call that a Hugh Jackman cameo...

what in tarnation

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

what in tarnation

Not my Commander Shepard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

what in tarnation

Holy poo poo. Yeah, that's not a Hugh Jackman cameo. If anything, this would imply that the X-Men movies exist as cultural things in the Fantastic Four universe, and Mr. Fantastic was trying to emulate Wolverine from the movies.

And failing. Yikes.

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know the story of why they cut that?

I mean...look at it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...look at it.

It's even worse in motion, nightmare stuff

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klungar posted:

It's even worse in motion, nightmare stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Rd8x4z-e0

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

looks pretty good imo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For some reason, I didn't think we were anywhere near getting a teaser for this. I guess Covid has my brain on a semi-permanent hold.

Looks good. Hard to tell from just a teaser, but seems like it might have actual fight choreography in a Marvel movie. As in, any at all. Which feels weird.

edit: So, by "Ten Rings". Do they mean those Ten Rings?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Considering his father is the Mandarin, yes. But apparently they look like bracelets now. Not sure if this should be a spoiler given it's pretty obvious from the trailer, but just playing it safe.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...look at it.
So, Reed isn't Mystique so........

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Considering his father is the Mandarin, yes. But apparently they look like bracelets now.

gently caress yeah, hung gar iron rings technique :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDr1MD2a1aM

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That forrest scene looks gorgeous

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thrawn527 posted:

For some reason, I didn't think we were anywhere near getting a teaser for this.

Simu Liu wasn't expecting it either :v:

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1384129985712033800

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1384137861385965574

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

With this apparently being set in San Fran, are we going to get an Ant-Man or Jimmy Woo cameo?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

With this apparently being set in San Fran, are we going to get an Ant-Man or Jimmy Woo cameo?

It's funny, because I'm seeing some people on Twitter who live in Sydney saying it was filmed there and saying it clearly looks like it, especially the bus scene at the end. I feel like they had to slap "CALIFORNIA" on the front of the bus to make it clear where it was set.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

It's funny, because I'm seeing some people on Twitter who live in Sydney saying it was filmed there and saying it clearly looks like it, especially the bus scene at the end. I feel like they had to slap "CALIFORNIA" on the front of the bus to make it clear where it was set.

I picked it up from the prominent feature of Ghirardelli Square during the bus scene, but clearly that was composited in then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe just given audiences are so used to California being used to double for everywhere in the world, you have to specify when they're actually in California.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The big battle scene with the animals looks very "CGI-y" and shiny.

Everything else looks good to great.

It's crazy to me that Awkwafina got famous via a viral Youtube video rapping about how much better her vagina is than other vaginas and has released one album, but been in nearly half a dozen $300+ million movies since.

Somehow, getting famous for rapping ended her rap career and exploded her acting career into one that many major actors would be jealous of, despite the fact that she never acted prior.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

While it is very hard for Asian actors to make it in Hollywood, I wish she didn't co-opt black culture to get there.

As soon as she got mainstream success, she dropped the hip-hop persona.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

While it is very hard for Asian actors to make it in Hollywood, I wish she didn't co-opt black culture to get there.

As soon as she got mainstream success, she dropped the hip-hop persona.

I'm not familiar with her outside of Crazy Rich Asians, did she really have a strong hip-hop persona? Watching the My Vag video for the first time the whole thing seems similar to The Lonely Island?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's crazy to me that Awkwafina got famous via a viral Youtube video rapping about how much better her vagina is than other vaginas and has released one album, but been in nearly half a dozen $300+ million movies since.

Somehow, getting famous for rapping ended her rap career and exploded her acting career into one that many major actors would be jealous of, despite the fact that she never acted prior.

I think part of her appeal, at least to me, is that she's truly unique. I can't think of anyone else in movies really like her. And I mean that in a good way. Something about her delivery. When she shows up on screen, I know I'm in for something different than usual, and I'm genuinely excited for it.

I'm really happy she's going to be in a Marvel movie.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Violator posted:

I'm not familiar with her outside of Crazy Rich Asians, did she really have a strong hip-hop persona? Watching the My Vag video for the first time the whole thing seems similar to The Lonely Island?

The Lonely Island makes fun of people like her

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The Mandarin being some loser actor was one of the genuinely hilarious things to come from the MCU and I’m bummed they’re abandoning that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Mandarin being some loser actor was one of the genuinely hilarious things to come from the MCU and I’m bummed they’re abandoning that.

They abandoned it fairly immediately afterward, with the All Hail the King one-shot that came out on the Thor: The Dark World Blu-Ray in 2014.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 19, 2021