Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm having some kind of connection issues with a new cable modem and router. I bought a Motorola MB7621 and a TP-Link AX1800 Archer AX21. Setup seemed to work perfectly and wired and wifi connections were both much faster than my previous setup.

The problem is that every so often the connection just cuts out with both wifi and wired connections. The modem lights don't show any indication that service is interrupted but the router's internet light will go from green to orange to show that there is a problem. Then 30s to a minute later the light goes back to green and everything works nice and steady again.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Reset modem from Cox website,
Turned modem off, unplugged coax cable, waited 5 minutes, replugged coax and turned back on
Various modem off router off resets
Tried a few different ethernet cords between modem and router
Updated router firmware
Reset router to factory settings

Nothing has helped out so far. I can provide other info if it's helpful but I'm not sure what else to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The modem is probably losing signal lock. Check the GUI for any error messages, and triple check your physical cable connections.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

The modem is probably losing signal lock. Check the GUI for any error messages, and triple check your physical cable connections.

All physical cable connections are solid.

Modem event log has a repeated message in there that is probably the culprit:

Here's the connection list:

Doing a search for those error messages pulls up a bunch of people who have had their service providers out to troubleshoot with no success.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Played an always online game for a bit connected directly to the modem and lost connection again. Error message this time was:

"SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync"

This one occurred several minutes before I was booted from the game though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using AdGuard's DNS service for a while now, but for the last few days *.gstatic.com and recaptcha.net content has been loading very slowly or not at all. If I switch to e.g. Google's DNS, things load fine. Are there any other reputable DNS services that block ads?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have two nanohds, One just fell off and fails to provision/adopt. Works fine, but obviously stats and few upgrades don’t work.

Things to try before I rear end myself up into the attic and force a reset?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

hooah posted:

I've been using AdGuard's DNS service for a while now, but for the last few days *.gstatic.com and recaptcha.net content has been loading very slowly or not at all. If I switch to e.g. Google's DNS, things load fine. Are there any other reputable DNS services that block ads?

I use NextDNS and it's pretty good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jolo posted:

All physical cable connections are solid.

Modem event log has a repeated message in there that is probably the culprit:

Here's the connection list:

Doing a search for those error messages pulls up a bunch of people who have had their service providers out to troubleshoot with no success.

T3 timeouts are always a signal problem, but could be a signal problem on your side. Inspect the coax as much as you can from the modem out to the cable company demarc - look for any damaged line, any surge protectors in the coax, any splitters, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, if you can replace and coax cables on your side easily, try it. They can get kinked or frayed or just fail, similar to ethernet cables. Always worth trying if you have cable and your modem is showing signal issues. Splitters too, they can cause a lot of problems.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, if you can replace and coax cables on your side easily, try it. They can get kinked or frayed or just fail, similar to ethernet cables. Always worth trying if you have cable and your modem is showing signal issues. Splitters too, they can cause a lot of problems.

I used the coax cable the old owner left in my apartment for a while, never getting a good condition. After I spent a few bucks on a new one, everything finally worked right.

A new cable costs so little, compared to the headaches it can save you from.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

was able to get all my cat6 runs done. Fios ONT decided to be a bitch and I’m limited to gigabit for reasons??? Fios support is unavailable so I have to wait to call them tomorrow. Pretty stoked no one fell through the ceiling and all the runs worked first try. I haven’t even gone into the ubiquiti interface to finish setting up my APs cause I’m tired as poo poo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Didn’t want to wait for the ubiquiti 8 port to come back in stock, plus it doesn’t come with rack mount ears. Shorter fiber patch cables arrive on Tuesday to tidy it up. Once I get a vlan trunking issue sorted between this switch and the MDF, I’ll move the cameras over to it as well.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hooah posted:

NextDNS.io is what I use. Been using it for a couple years now, replacing a PiHole. It’s been great.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

rufius posted:

NextDNS.io is what I use. Been using it for a couple years now, replacing a PiHole. It’s been great.

Same story for me. It's been reliable.

Works especially well on Android as it can be a Private DNS provider (see it's setup guide to see what I mean). Works perfectly out of the house. Also, the same function lets me force SafeSearch and YouTube restricted mode on my kid's tablet for a bit

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
Any recommendations for a combo cable modem/router/ap? This is for a non-technical user.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I tried following the edge routers manual but it skips important steps (like disabling manual ip on your machine when you change ports) and spent an hour spinning my wheels until I found this dude

https://youtu.be/aECPxlT6Qq4

Worked first time

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have a fairly dumb question that I can't seem to find an answer to, probably because of how I'm asking it.

Can I plug a router into any RJ45 wall plate that's connected to my modem?

I have my Spectrum-issued modem-router combo in a wall box in my laundry room. The wall box has a few runs of Cat5e that go to different rooms around the house - bonus room, living room, office, etc. Our wifi signal sucks in the far corners of the house, and disappears when you step onto the front porch or the back lanai. I was thinking about adding an Orbi router to the office (connected to the modem via the Cat5e through the walls) and a satellite in another room to provide better coverage. But I'm a bit stuck on whether this will work or not.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ihafarm posted:

Any recommendations for a combo cable modem/router/ap? This is for a non-technical user.

Different ISPs have different modem requirements, so you'll need to take a look at their compatibility list.

For example: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Omne posted:

I have a fairly dumb question that I can't seem to find an answer to, probably because of how I'm asking it.

Can I plug a router into any RJ45 wall plate that's connected to my modem?

I have my Spectrum-issued modem-router combo in a wall box in my laundry room. The wall box has a few runs of Cat5e that go to different rooms around the house - bonus room, living room, office, etc. Our wifi signal sucks in the far corners of the house, and disappears when you step onto the front porch or the back lanai. I was thinking about adding an Orbi router to the office (connected to the modem via the Cat5e through the walls) and a satellite in another room to provide better coverage. But I'm a bit stuck on whether this will work or not.

Yes it should work, but if you're going to get a mesh system like the Orbi the basic set up is for it to be the router and wireless access points for everything. I'm sure there's an alternate setup so it acts as a set of wireless access points, but you could probably just get an additional wireless access point or two instead of a whole mesh system if you want that. The Ubiquiti UniFi Lite 6 is pretty good for $100 but you do need to add a Power over Ethernet injector (which is another 10 bucks or so). That said, the Orbi will be fine if you want to get it. You could consider replacing the combo unit with just a modem and use the orbi as your main router as well if you want (most ISPs charge a hefty monthly rent and buying your own modem pays for itself in ~6 months).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Same story for me. It's been reliable.

Works especially well on Android as it can be a Private DNS provider (see it's setup guide to see what I mean). Works perfectly out of the house. Also, the same function lets me force SafeSearch and YouTube restricted mode on my kid's tablet for a bit

Thirding NextDNS with the OISD blocklist has had almost zero false positives for me, and the ones that do appear, are quick to be removed on report.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My router could use an upgrade as-is, and it would be nice to have a 5th lan port without hooking up a switch just for that. Any recommendations for a 5 port router that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, if such things exist?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're probably better off keeping the router you have or buying the one you want, then buying a switch to plug into it. Dumb switches can be had for pretty cheap.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

You're probably better off keeping the router you have or buying the one you want, then buying a switch to plug into it. Dumb switches can be had for pretty cheap.

This. Just grab a 20 dollar dlink or net gear gig dumb switch. I have a bunch of 8 port ones, no problems in years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rats.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I pointed my router at NextDNS's IP address and it's been working pretty well. However, I've noticed that the last segment of the IP address NextDNS says to point to changes each time I visit the page. That seems weird.

Also, not sure if it's related to DNS, but I've been having all sorts of problems with my UDM lately. First, one of my thermostats and the sprinkler controller couldn't connect. I asked on the Ubiquiti forums and folks suggested turning off a couple of features, but that didn't help. Suddenly, those devices are now connected fine, but my Linux laptop and my Pixel, at the least, have started having crummy service - slowness and "connected but no Internet"-type things. How can I go about troubleshooting this?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

hooah posted:

I pointed my router at NextDNS's IP address and it's been working pretty well. However, I've noticed that the last segment of the IP address NextDNS says to point to changes each time I visit the page. That seems weird.

:words:

So the last segment is the unique identifier for your account. That will influence your blocking preferences.

Did you create an account with NextDNS?

Can you show a snapshot of how it’s configured in your router?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

rufius posted:

So the last segment is the unique identifier for your account. That will influence your blocking preferences.

Did you create an account with NextDNS?

Can you show a snapshot of how it’s configured in your router?

I hadn't created an account, but now I have. In the router I just set the IP address fields for the DNS server.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

hooah posted:

I hadn't created an account, but now I have. In the router I just set the IP address fields for the DNS server.

Ah got it. Ya - you can just use it bare though they’ll rate limit you eventually.

I toss them the $20 a year since it works so nicely. I also do a lot of customization of the lists and blocking of specific things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I want to buy a wirless access point (TP-Link Omada AC1350) - will I need to get POE switch too or does any switch work? I believe I have a Netgear one at home but unsure if it has POE. I have Cat6 cables all in my house already.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

rufius posted:

Ah got it. Ya - you can just use it bare though they’ll rate limit you eventually.

I toss them the $20 a year since it works so nicely. I also do a lot of customization of the lists and blocking of specific things.

Ok, cool. I saw there's a script to install it on my Unifi Dream Machine, but if I'm not doing any customization, would I benefit at all from doing that as opposed to just using it "bare", as you put it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vintersorg posted:

If I want to buy a wirless access point (TP-Link Omada AC1350) - will I need to get POE switch too or does any switch work? I believe I have a Netgear one at home but unsure if it has POE. I have Cat6 cables all in my house already.

It looks like it comes with a PoE injector in the box so you shouldn't have to buy one unless you want to.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
the omada line is the "everything is managed in the cloud, gently caress off locally" line right?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Biowarfare posted:

the omada line is the "everything is managed in the cloud, gently caress off locally" line right?

Omada can be managed locally and no connection to their cloud required.

edit- Aruba Instant On APs are cloud managed only. Switches are local or cloud, but it is one or the other and to switch you do a factory reset.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rexxed posted:

It looks like it comes with a PoE injector in the box so you shouldn't have to buy one unless you want to.

Oh sweet, that's nice. I will see how the wifi is (almost finished building - will finally move in in a couple weeks once builder finishes poo poo he should have when we took possession) as my router is in the basement across the house but we're only in 1350sqft, so maybe it's not too bad. I have ethernet in each room but this is primarily for phones.

This was supplied by Bell MTS: https://www3.bellmts.ca/mts/support/tv/fibe+tv/installation+and+setup/residential+gateway+rg+home+hub+3000

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 13, 2021

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

hooah posted:

Ok, cool. I saw there's a script to install it on my Unifi Dream Machine, but if I'm not doing any customization, would I benefit at all from doing that as opposed to just using it "bare", as you put it?

So that’s a nuanced question.

There’s sorta five main ways to set it up:

1. Use the platform specific script like you found which sets the unique ID.
2. Use the distinct IPv6 address that includes your unique ID.
3. Use dynamic DNS + ipv4 to get your settings set.
4. Setup DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS which would include your unique ID.
5. Use the bare IPs

1-4 are the various ways to enable customization of your filter lists etc. This path is also required if you don’t want to eventually get ratelimited if you do too many queries.

If your query needs stay low and you don’t need to modify or customize the features then (5) is fine.

In my case, I actually run my own DNS forwarder on my network and have captive DNS setup because I want to force all queries through my DNS forwarder. That ensures IoT devices can’t hardcode their own DNS as well as ensuring all queries are encrypted.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Vintersorg posted:

Oh sweet, that's nice. I will see how the wifi is (almost finished building - will finally move in in a couple weeks once builder finishes poo poo he should have when we took possession) as my router is in the basement across the house but we're only in 1350sqft, so maybe it's not too bad. I have ethernet in each room but this is primarily for phones.

This was supplied by Bell MTS: https://www3.bellmts.ca/mts/support/tv/fibe+tv/installation+and+setup/residential+gateway+rg+home+hub+3000

I just installed the AP you're getting in a house with a touch more sqftage and it's been working great. Super easy to set up, too.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

rufius posted:

In my case, I actually run my own DNS forwarder on my network and have captive DNS setup because I want to force all queries through my DNS forwarder. That ensures IoT devices can’t hardcode their own DNS as well as ensuring all queries are encrypted.

What happens when the IoT device cert-pins a DNS over HTTPS provider for its own use?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

rufius posted:

So that’s a nuanced question.

There’s sorta five main ways to set it up:

1. Use the platform specific script like you found which sets the unique ID.
2. Use the distinct IPv6 address that includes your unique ID.
3. Use dynamic DNS + ipv4 to get your settings set.
4. Setup DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS which would include your unique ID.
5. Use the bare IPs

1-4 are the various ways to enable customization of your filter lists etc. This path is also required if you don’t want to eventually get ratelimited if you do too many queries.

If your query needs stay low and you don’t need to modify or customize the features then (5) is fine.

How would I tell if I get rate-limited?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

What happens when the IoT device cert-pins a DNS over HTTPS provider for its own use?

You can’t fight those unfortunately.

This is just for the simple case of standard DNS over port 53.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

hooah posted:

How would I tell if I get rate-limited?

I believe it’s a soft limit initially. Eventually, I expect your DNS queries would begin to fail.