Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

im the ringing bell

heh heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

very reminiscent of this classic

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

very reminiscent of this classic

is a tandem bike a human velocipede :thunk:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today is 100 commutes by bike for me. I took the long way, and stopped many times for photos (and to rest my still-flabby self)
100 bicycle commutes by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Getting this screenshot off of my phone and into my Flickr stream was stupidly difficult for me. Presumably there's an easier way, but I don't know it.
Screenshot_20210414-095332~2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I cannot stress this enough: Hell. Yes.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's 100 but it's still nice.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's 100 but it's still nice.

Hell, it’s 69 + 420

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I just changed from a brooks leather flyer to a c17 all weather and what the gently caress why is this thing so grippy? No wonder goons are always complaining about wearing holes in their pants. It has the same texture as my handlebar grips.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I just changed from a brooks leather flyer to a c17 all weather and what the gently caress why is this thing so grippy? No wonder goons are always complaining about wearing holes in their pants. It has the same texture as my handlebar grips.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from a rubber saddle.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Groda posted:

I'm not sure what you were expecting from a rubber saddle.

Supposedly there’s a layer of nylon? That’s what everyone selling them says.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Today is 100 commutes by bike for me. I took the long way, and stopped many times for photos (and to rest my still-flabby self)

These pictures own and that's a great milestone.

Well done, mate.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Why do you have to ride your bike on the roads in the way of cars use the bike paths!"

The bike paths:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just gotta hit it with more speed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m confused, there are no cars parked in it with surly traffic wardens going well it isn’t a double yellow is it?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My electric MTB has been shifting increasingly poorly lately to the point where I had to do something about it. Indexing all messed up, felt all wrong. So I watched some youtubes and went to work. A bit of cleaning and lube first. No improvement. I checked that the cable seemed to run freely. The derailleur hanger was tweaked and didn't run true with the cassette so I bent that as close to shape as I could eyeball it. Still bad. I found I had undertorqued the cassette nut which had come loose which surely must have been the problem, but nope, still bad. I finally looked into the shifter cable more thoroughly since I thought I should give it a clean and a light lube at least before giving up for the day. Turns out I'd made a real idiot move and zip-tied the naked stretch of cable running under the top tube together with the brake hose and electric cable running there in my zeal to tidy everything up. :doh: This had worked well enough at first that I didn't notice it immediately. The cable slowly dug into the plastic of the zip-tie causing slowly increasing friction and poor shifting (but only when under tension which is probably why I missed it the first time). The upside is that with all the other issues corrected the bike now shifts better than ever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

Just gotta hit it with more speed

True. I'm p sure if I hit this hard enough Id just clear the rest of the snow.

Whether or not my bike would come with me is another thing.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 18, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

RAMMING SPEED

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Doing mountain trails in my teens on the cheapest bike my parents could find has taught me that as long as you're going fast enough you can bounce over anything in your way.

theoretically

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
whoops, wrong thread

as penance, here's the baby seat mounted and ready to use some time this week or next:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Curious if anyone here got Covid? If so, how long before you were able to do your commute?

I've been laid low now for about 3 weeks, after a 10 day fever, headache, sore throat combo, I got and am going through a sort of lung infection that's being treated successfully but limits my breathing and energy. Suffice to say walking around the apartment is rough.

I'll be slated to go back to work in two weeks, which seems long enough (1 week of vacation left and 1 week of telework) and my girlfriend is back to biking to work, though she got hit far less hard than me.

My commute is 20 km round trip and at the moment it feels like it'd be impossible. Getting there is easier than getting back, and I wouldn't have any issue just stopping or walking for a bit if necessary but yeah I'm curious to know your experiences. I'm loathe to take the bus, but at least it's not like I can get sick again (well probably but you know...)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got waves of dizziness, that never seemed to end - you thought it was over but oop, nope.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

None of my coworkers who've caught it were down for this long, but long covid is A Thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

None of my coworkers who've caught it were down for this long, but long covid is A Thing.

Not to dwell too much on it, but I don't think I have covid anymore. The doctor said my current lung infection is obviously because of it but it's being treated with antibiotics so it's not really the virus anymore, just something that joined the party along the way.

The best thing about bike commuting is owning your time and schedule. Public transportation is less reliable and just takes time, I don't feel like having to get up earlier you know? Still it may be my only option for the time being.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A group called Transit Alternatives is operating a bicycle valet program a block from my office from now until June I think, which would be awesome if my bike wasn't sitting in the shop waiting for parts...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Not covid but I do get 1-2 week sinus infections with some regularity that wipe me the gently caress out, and I always find myself trying to start biking again too soon and feeling awful. My advice, especially if your ride home is harder than the ride there, is to take a test ride the day before. If it's too soon you'll know. My other advice is ask your doctor what they think.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

If you have an infection the last thing you need is to physically exhaust yourself without realising it and basically disarm your immune system in the process. Especially if its in your lungs... That can get bad real fast.

Unless your commute is relatively short, has no big hills and is in decently warm weather, you're just going to have to skip biking, IMO.

It sucks but its how you heal. I hope you feel better soon friend.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

If you have an infection the last thing you need is to physically exhaust yourself without realising it and basically disarm your immune system in the process. Especially if its in your lungs... That can get bad real fast.

Unless your commute is relatively short, has no big hills and is in decently warm weather, you're just going to have to skip biking, IMO.

It sucks but its how you heal. I hope you feel better soon friend.

Thanks. It's warm, but I do have some big hills especially a massive one coming home. And 10 km doesn't feel short unfortunately. I'll try a test run like someone suggested. Getting stranded part of the way there seems like a bad plan (It's a major city area so it's not abandoned but still).

Thanks for the well-wishes to all of you as well. I'm seeing a doctor again on Wednesday so I'll get more advice then too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not to dwell too much on it, but I don't think I have covid anymore. The doctor said my current lung infection is obviously because of it but it's being treated with antibiotics so it's not really the virus anymore, just something that joined the party along the way.
Ah well at least you know what's up. Just take it ACTUALLY easy and let patience be your counsel.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I would only call it grippy compared to a polished leather saddle. Maybe years of funk has smoothed it out.

The nice thing is that sweaty skin doesn't stick to it just in case you plan to ride in a thong.

E: before you ask: yes, those are crocs on my rack.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I have fatigue/respiratory related long covid, and can no longer cycle up a short hill without getting out of breath. I'm hopeful it isn't permanent lung damage from the main stage of the virus, as it comes and goes to an extent (and actually I was fine for a month after my initial COVID symptoms,) but I'm bummed I've been like this for almost a year, with no real end in sight.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Al2001 posted:

I have fatigue/respiratory related long covid, and can no longer cycle up a short hill without getting out of breath. I'm hopeful it isn't permanent lung damage from the main stage of the virus, as it comes and goes to an extent (and actually I was fine for a month after my initial COVID symptoms,) but I'm bummed I've been like this for almost a year, with no real end in sight.

Oh buddy, I got to be honest with you but that sounds like a nightmare scenario. I really hope medical science gets a bead on this thing and can reverse whatever it is fully and completely. Hang in there. I've had a doctor that regular exercise will put my body back into business, which at the moment seems like wishful thinking, but maybe if you have more strength retraining yourself is all it would need? Again, not a doctor, but I know that's how somethings work sometimes. Be safe!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Al2001 posted:

This poo poo's the reason I've been wearing FFP2 masks for a loving year. Not about to let some careless morons take cycling away from me if I can help it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

evil_bunnY posted:

This poo poo's the reason I've been wearing FFP2 masks for a loving year. Not about to let some careless morons take cycling away from me if I can help it.

^^^ Getting my second shot in 2 weeks but I'm not stopping wearing a mask until national vax % is way up there.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CopperHound posted:

I would only call it grippy compared to a polished leather saddle. Maybe years of funk has smoothed it out.

The nice thing is that sweaty skin doesn't stick to it just in case you plan to ride in a thong.

E: before you ask: yes, those are crocs on my rack.

Just cruising around in a thong and Crocs...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do they make SPD Crocs?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Re COVID folks, ugh that sounds awful :( and get well soon. What you all were describing is why I've been hugely paranoid about everything and everyone, especially after one of my friends got it and had lied to us about being safe (he basically never stopped hanging out with various groups of people all the time)

EvilJoven posted:

"Why do you have to ride your bike on the roads in the way of cars use the bike paths!"

The bike paths:

can't not post this after a comment like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The main bike lane from one half of my town past the station and into the centre runs past environmental services, the people contracted to maintain the bike lane, naturally the staff uses the bike lane as a car park.

There were so many complaints from local cycling groups that they *drumroll* built a new bike lane, BUT all new lanes have to be shared with pedestrians now.

The gammon with dogs on extender leads all want to know what the bike is doing on THEIR new pavement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

whoops, wrong thread

as penance, here's the baby seat mounted and ready to use some time this week or next:

Test ride:

Backpack might have squeezed babb to the side?
I was able to hang the strap off my neck, but that was less than ideal, so I moved the seat back on the rack half an inch, and have about that much more adjustment to go.
Didn't notice a handling difference so far, so might push it back the rest of the way after one more ride.

next evolution:

Dug up these integrated basket bars I had. Very heavy, adding like 1.8lbs to the bike, but should be able to stuff the backpack in there, which'll be good for the summer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That is 100% super awesome!

Wish I’d had something like that when mine were little, the giggles would have powered me up the hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Babby seat
Be honest. How long did you consider getting a Bridgestone mamachari imported?